Brand new, need some advice (the more I read, the less sure I am).

CJB85

Enthusiastically Clueless
LV

Awards
Good morning everyone!

I am brand new here (I will get to the intro thread in a little bit) and seems like here is a lot safer to get the right advice than at the shops. I have posted the same questions to a number of shops and each has given me different subjective opinions.

I am a (too) long-time smoker and have been trying to get off them with a Twisp Cue, but find that the limited flavours and regular stock issues get me reaching for the Marlboros again.

I have been flirting with the idea of vaping for a while an have decided to pull the trigger.

A few shops, a bunch of online reviews and Youtube videos later, have narrowed it down to the following possibilities (for now):

Mods: Voopoo Drag 2, Ijoy UNIV (Shogun), Aegis (single or Legend), I looked at some on-board battery options like the Drag Mini and Aegis Mini, but have been advised against anything with a built-in battery.
Atomizer/Tank: I am not up for spending loads of unnecessary money on pre-built stuff, so am quite drawn to the idea of an RTA. A local store has said that as long as I buy the coils and cotton there, they will do the build and re-wick for me. I think that if I can watch them do it (and try under supervision), I would be able to pick it up pretty quickly. I have been looking at the OFRF Gear and the Zeus X (leaning towards the gear for the shortened nature of it and how simple it seems to build and wick).

I am looking for some guidance, as the more reviews I look at and read, the more possible options pop up. I am not a tinkerer by nature, so I would prefer something on the simpler side (Wattage, coils, wicking would be about it), without having to fiddle with temperature and ramp curves etc etc. Which of the mods above should I most strongly consider, or should I be looking at something completely off the list? The same question applies for the Atomizers.

I appreciate the assistance and look forward to bouncing the smokes for good.

my advice if you're a current smoker- dont buy a dl atomizer.
get something thats mouth to lung, with a higher nic mtl juice. Something with a restrictive draw will more replicate the feeling of smoking.
Higher nic MTL juice in an mtl atomizer will also mean less juice consumption (so its cheaper as a result)

lower wattage mtl will give you longer battery life as well- you would be amazed how it eases the transition (not having to charge all the time).
Either an internal battery setup (OBS Cube), aegis mini, drag mini.
or a single battery 21700 capable mod, like the vaporesso armour pro, mirage 75c
Atomizer wise- OBS Mtl, Ammit MTL, manta MTL, dvarw mtl but with the top fill kit (this is pricey though).
Preference as a starter would be something with top airflow- as it wont leak and will allow you to learn wicking at your own pace.

If i had the above advice when i started, my journey would have been alot cheaper and the transition alot easier.

My opinion.
A mod is a mod, they all do the same thing, specially if you new and not interrested in the fancy settings etc. So with that in mind you should rather look at what job you do etc. Its nice to have mods that have dual or even tripple batteries, but they are big and heavy. So if you not at home or at a desk the whole day, you should rather look at something smaller that you carry easy with you. Something like the Amour pro.

I personally believe before you start buying stuff you should decide and test what flavours you like. If you like fruits, juicy, menthol type flavours then you going to buy different mods and attys than desserts type flavours where you going to use big watts and blow huge clouds.

So with the juicy, fruity vape you going to go lower watts, so a single battery mod will be fine for the day and a single coil atty will be the best.

The Wasp nano rta just came out, everyone seems impressed with it. Its cheap and seems to be easy build

I personally will suggest getting a cheap rda with your first purchase, yes you dont want to drip the whole day, but they build real easy and you can practice your building skill on it.

And dont forget, before you buy anything, look at the classifieds on forum, there is many bargains, so if you buy and dont like, you can sell again, without losing to much

get something thats mouth to lung, with a higher nic mtl juice. Something with a restrictive draw will more replicate the feeling of smoking.
Higher nic MTL juice in an mtl atomizer will also mean less juice consumption (so its cheaper as a result)

lower wattage mtl will give you longer battery life as well- you would be amazed how it eases the transition (not having to charge all the time).
or a single battery 21700 capable mod, like the vaporesso armour pro, mirage 75c
Atomizer wise- OBS Mtl, Ammit MTL, manta MTL, dvarw mtl but with the top fill kit (this is pricey though).
Preference as a starter would be something with top airflow- as it wont leak and will allow you to learn wicking at your own pace.

If i had the above advice when i started, my journey would have been alot cheaper and the transition alot easier.

Agree wholeheartedly, my first attempt at quitting was with a shop suggested Direct Lung (DL) setup, and the low Nicotine juices did nothing to help the cravings, I did smoke less, but i did not stop smoking. A good mouth to lung setup wont set you back 1000's of Rands and will be much better suited to your need to quit the Stinkies.

I really enjoyed my Twisp cue, but as you say, the problems with supply is a real downer, that said there are plenty of good pod devices in the market. A small pod device makes the transition easier as well because you don't have to get use to walking around with that big "hand grenade" in your hand.

Most pod systems are similarly priced and wont break the bank either, not much more than a carton of DECENT smokes.

Thanks for the quick response!
To be honest, I am not too phased about the MTL, DL issue, as smoking is way wore habitual (restless hands than anything else) and I was fond of the odd hubbly when I was younger.
How long do the batteries on internal battery devices last and what do you do once they give out? I am trying to weigh up what a new mod will cost versus a few battery replacements on external battery mods. I like the idea of a lower wattage vape, as I am never going to trick (hope I used that right), or try and impress anyone with huge clouds. Can I use a MTL atomizer on any mod (for instance the Aegis or Drag Mini's like you suggested)?

EDIT: Speaking which, if I go for something like an Aegis, or Drag Mini with an MTL atomizer, can I later fit it with a DL atomizer as well? Suddenly intrigued by the idea of a transitional setup...

Agree wholeheartedly, my first attempt at quitting was with a shop suggested Direct Lung (DL) setup, and the low Nicotine juices did nothing to help the cravings, I did smoke less, but i did not stop smoking. A good mouth to lung setup wont set you back 1000's of Rands and will be much better suited to your need to quit the Stinkies.

I really enjoyed my Twisp cue, but as you say, the problems with supply is a real downer, that said there are plenty of good pod devices in the market. A small pod device makes the transition easier as well because you don't have to get use to walking around with that big "hand grenade" in your hand.

Most pod systems are similarly priced and wont break the bank either, not much more than a carton of DECENT smokes.
Pod systems are okay, but won't a more "DIY" setup work out cheaper in the long run?

Thanks for the quick response!
To be honest, I am not too phased about the MTL, DL issue, as smoking is way wore habitual (restless hands than anything else) and I was fond of the odd hubbly when I was younger.
How long do the batteries on internal battery devices last and what do you do once they give out? I am trying to weigh up what a new mod will cost versus a few battery replacements on external battery mods. I like the idea of a lower wattage vape, as I am never going to trick (hope I used that right), or try and impress anyone with huge clouds. Can I use a MTL atomizer on any mod (for instance the Aegis or Drag Mini's like you suggested)?

EDIT: Speaking which, if I go for something like an Aegis, or Drag Mini with an MTL atomizer, can I later fit it with a DL atomizer as well? Suddenly intrigued by the idea of a transitional setup...

If your eventual plan is to go DL, there still remains the question of single or dual coil DL - meaning what wattage do you think you'd like to vape at.
An single or inbuilt battery device is fine for single coil DL tanks. If you go dual coil then single battery isn't the best long term idea.

Nothing wrong with getting a dual battery mod and an mtl atomizer for now- you will just run the device at lower wattage and have longer battery life in this configuration.

If your eventual plan is to go DL, there still remains the question of single or dual coil DL - meaning what wattage do you think you'd like to vape at.
An single or inbuilt battery device is fine for single coil DL tanks. If you go dual coil then single battery isn't the best long term idea.

Nothing wrong with getting a dual battery mod and an mtl atomizer for now- you will just run the device at lower wattage and have longer battery life in this configuration.
At this point, my very uninformed opinion is that I will probably never need the oomph of a dual coil setup, but the double battery at the same lower wattage to make it last longer seems like a really good idea. As far as I understand, the single coil RTA would also be somewhat easier to build myself?
So, if I understand this correctly, I can get a normal two battery mod (like the Shogun UNIV, for instance) and set it up with a MTL atomizer for now and switch to a DL version later (or perhaps even switch between the two depending on my mood)?

At this point, my very uninformed opinion is that I will probably never need the oomph of a dual coil setup, but the double battery at the same lower wattage to make it last longer seems like a really good idea. As far as I understand, the single coil RTA would also be somewhat easier to build myself?
So, if I understand this correctly, I can get a normal two battery mod (like the Shogun UNIV, for instance) and set it up with a MTL atomizer for now and switch to a DL version later (or perhaps even switch between the two depending on my mood)?

Correct. Get a dual battery mod and an mtl atomizer for now. Change the atomizer as and when needed, just adjust wattage.

If budget isn't an issue, get a paranormal 250c.
If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, shogun will work.
Drag has crappy paintwork.

Remember- you'll probably need an external charger at some point as well. In the interim, if your mod has 2amp charging, you should survive without a charger.

Correct. Get a dual battery mod and an mtl atomizer for now. Change the atomizer as and when needed, just adjust wattage.

If budget isn't an issue, get a paranormal 250c.
If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, shogun will work.
Drag has crappy paintwork.

Remember- you'll probably need an external charger at some point as well. In the interim, if your mod has 2amp charging, you should survive without a charger.
Thank you!
The guys at the shop never once mentioned that I can cover both on the same mod by simply switching atomizers...
Which leads to the next questions (sorry), what are good MTL Atomizers to consider and would I need a specific type of juice to go with them?

How long do the batteries on internal battery devices last and what do you do once they give out? I am trying to weigh up what a new mod will cost versus a few battery replacements on external battery mods.

Sorry to break the news but the chances of any mod lasting long enough to wear out any battery, internal or external, are quite small. One thing you will need to get used to is replacing mods periodically. Like many consumer items these days, they are designed to last just a little bit longer than the warranty does.

Sorry to break the news but the chances of any mod lasting long enough to wear out any battery, internal or external, are quite small. One thing you will need to get used to is replacing mods periodically. Like many consumer items these days, they are designed to last just a little bit longer than the warranty does.
Hang on, so I should expect a mod to break down in a little over 6 months?

Depends what you buy then I guess.
My DNA's are in daily use for almost 2 years, no issues at all. That's why stand behind the chipset.

Thank you!
The guys at the shop never once mentioned that I can cover both on the same mod by simply switching atomizers...
Which leads to the next questions (sorry), what are good MTL Atomizers to consider and would I need a specific type of juice to go with them?

sadly, most shops won't tell you, they would rather you buy two mods.

Obs MTL, ammit mtl, dvarw mtl with topfill, manta mtl are all good imho.

I have to agree with all the advise given so far. A good MTL setup is the way to go, you can always later getting into Direct Lung once you have successfully kicked the stinkiest habit.

You could go the safe route and buy MTL Kit that uses carrridge style coils but honestly in the long run it will cost you more. And why buy a starter kit if you plan to go the rebuildable route, it’s not that hard to make coils and insert cotton wicks.

If it was my money and I was keen to learn and I wanted something that looked cool plus great flavour I would get the following setup, wish the first vape store I went to sold me this setup, would have saved me thousands of rands.

AtomizerVape Mod & Aromizer
Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDTA
https://vaperscorner.co.za/product/galaxies-mtl-squonk-rdta/

IStick Pico 75w Mod
https://vapeguy.co.za/mods/regulated-mods/eleaf-pico-75W-mod

2x Samsung 30Q Batter
https://www.thevapeden.co.za/collections/accessories/products/samsung-inr18650-30q-li-ion-battery

2 Bay Battery Charger
https://www.thevapeden.co.za/collec...core-um2-intelligent-usb-charger#&gid=1&pid=1

Coil Building Supplies:
Coilology MTL Staple Wire
https://www.thevapeden.co.za/collections/coils/products/coilology-mtl-staple-wire

Vapefly Firebolt Cotton Mixed Edition
https://www.thevapeden.co.za/products/vapefly-firebolt-cotton-mixed-edition#&gid=1&pid=1

Geekvape Build Kit
https://www.thevapeden.co.za/collections/accessories/products/geek-vape-simple-tool-kit

eJuice Options
Pied Piper Redwood Tobacco 12mg
Project X Nutty Custard 12mg
Steamworks Question Mark 12mg
Steamworks Exclamation Mark 12mg

B294F7EF-23AC-497D-B171-0BCE01329F1F.png 51D0C209-236E-4052-89B8-F87C25A5CEA4.png AEC0A54F-32C9-469C-812A-E300292844B5.png 1754EE97-FA18-4A00-B757-ABDE8DCF76D5.jpeg 526AB760-CACB-400C-8938-BFAF94ABECE5.jpeg F0827A18-52F6-4393-98DA-5008518FAC9A.jpeg 722CB84D-C00B-41C6-9773-4050852AF4D8.jpeg

Last edited:
The mod choices by yourself above and other vapers above are quite on point and will last you a long time SHOULD YOU choose to take relatively good care of it. Yes a mod will need replacing periodically but just over 6 months time...not a chance if the mod is taken care of.

I first started at the end of 2017 with a Eleaf Istick power nano 40w integrated battery mod and a mtl tank....that mod is still my only mod that is with me everyday although I have bought and sold off other mods. My nano is a keeper with a tiny integrated battery still kicking from day one!

If you are not phased by the DL and MTL etc then I can add to the many suggestions by advising on an Augvape Intake RTA...DL mainly but it has a restrictive draw to it...tighter than most DL RTA's...kinda best of both worlds!

Good luck!

No thats not true at all. I think what @RichJB is trying to say is be mentally prepared for the worst. This is what I am using ATM.
On the left is tesla Wye single battery mod with a siren V2 MTL RTA. Both were bought second on the forum for R350 and Siren V2 for 150. I use it for nic salts. Battery in this setup is 2.5 year old and still working fine. If you want to go for nic salts which I will highly recommend for a new vaper trying to quit smoking and want a rebuildable setup, this RTA is the best choice. really easy to build lots of flavour. A tank full will last you for a reallyy long time. I use it on temp control with a stainless steel wire.

On the right is OBS bat mod bought second hand on the forum 1.5 years ago and still working fine. Batteries are around a year old.

20190315_111006.jpg

There is no guideline, it will depend on the mod, chipset, conditions you use it in, amount of use, etc. In the DIYorDie Discord group which features many long-term vapers, I did a quick poll and most were happy to get twelve months use out of a mod before having to replace. Ironically, the general consensus seems to be that the more expensive the mod, the greater the likelihood that it will fail. Again, that's not a golden rule, just an indication that higher price does not necessarily mean greater longevity.

I'm not saying that you should count on the mod dying soon, just don't budget or depend on it not happening. The general advice given to new vapers is to get at least two setups so that you have a backup in case one fails. That alone tells you how frequently this happens.

I get what @RichJB is saying about mods but he is giving you a worst-case scenario.

I have several mods which have lasted over four years and are still working perfectly. Likewise, I have a couple which lasted less than a year.

Everyone will have their own opinions on which mods (brands) will last the longest. This is obviously based on personal experience and you read many threads and posts where mods have lasted only a few months. Most mods die because of juice leaking on the electronics. Most manufacturers won't honour their guarantee when this happens. Nowadays tanks RTAs seem to leak far less often than in the past.

If you are the type of person who likes to fiddle around with gadgets then a mod and MTL RTA would be OK. If not pods have proven to be great for quitting smoking.

@CJB85 if you want to learn more about vaping, the devices and how to coil and wick a atomizer you are more than welcome to come over to my place on a weekend and I’ll teach you everything you need to know over a few beers.

I have a variety of vape gear including MTL and DL RTAs & RDAs, even have the Gear RTA if you want to try them all out before deciding on what to buy

**Forgot to mention I’m based in Centurion**

Last edited:
Yes what @RichJB said is very important. Buy two setups with batteries for both. If you want to quit and your one mod is broken or busy building one, then you going to smoke again. So get a budget first and then you see what you can buy, including chargers, juice etc

Great offer for help from @CaliGuy .

I wish that someone had been around to help me when I got started. If you are serious about giving up smoking then the time spent with an experienced vaper will really help.

Back