Brand new, need some advice (the more I read, the less sure I am).

CJB85

Enthusiastically Clueless
LV

Awards
Good morning everyone!

I am brand new here (I will get to the intro thread in a little bit) and seems like here is a lot safer to get the right advice than at the shops. I have posted the same questions to a number of shops and each has given me different subjective opinions.

I am a (too) long-time smoker and have been trying to get off them with a Twisp Cue, but find that the limited flavours and regular stock issues get me reaching for the Marlboros again.

I have been flirting with the idea of vaping for a while an have decided to pull the trigger.

A few shops, a bunch of online reviews and Youtube videos later, have narrowed it down to the following possibilities (for now):

Mods: Voopoo Drag 2, Ijoy UNIV (Shogun), Aegis (single or Legend), I looked at some on-board battery options like the Drag Mini and Aegis Mini, but have been advised against anything with a built-in battery.
Atomizer/Tank: I am not up for spending loads of unnecessary money on pre-built stuff, so am quite drawn to the idea of an RTA. A local store has said that as long as I buy the coils and cotton there, they will do the build and re-wick for me. I think that if I can watch them do it (and try under supervision), I would be able to pick it up pretty quickly. I have been looking at the OFRF Gear and the Zeus X (leaning towards the gear for the shortened nature of it and how simple it seems to build and wick).

I am looking for some guidance, as the more reviews I look at and read, the more possible options pop up. I am not a tinkerer by nature, so I would prefer something on the simpler side (Wattage, coils, wicking would be about it), without having to fiddle with temperature and ramp curves etc etc. Which of the mods above should I most strongly consider, or should I be looking at something completely off the list? The same question applies for the Atomizers.

I appreciate the assistance and look forward to bouncing the smokes for good.

What do you guys think of something like the Innokin Cool Fire Pebble?
To me it seems cheap enough to get as an MTL mod and if it does not work as a DL mod later, get something bigger and keep this as a backup mod?

So, now it seems the mod choices are between:
Aegis Mini
eLeaf Pico
Innokin Cool Fire...

Yes, no?

What do you guys think of something like the Innokin Cool Fire Pebble?
To me it seems cheap enough to get as an MTL mod and if it does not work as a DL mod later, get something bigger and keep this as a backup mod?

So, now it seems the mod choices are between:
Aegis Mini
eLeaf Pico
Innokin Cool Fire...

Yes, no?

Pico is a great choice. The posts you find on the forum is testimony of how theyjust go on and on without missing a beat.

Pico is a great choice. The posts you find on the forum is testimony of how theyjust go on and on without missing a beat.
Thank you, will this have enough power on the single battery to accommodate a DL setup later?

Thank you, will this have enough power on the single battery to accommodate a DL setup later?
The Pico is going to limit you to 22mm RTA/RDA.

Must DL tanks are 24mm, these won’t fit on the Pico but Eleaf do make a Pico 25 100w which is still smallish mod but it supports upto 25mm tanks plus It take the higher capacity 20700 battery.

Think of the small Pico as a Pocket Buddy, small, light and easy to carry.

Last edited:
Welcome @CJB85. I'll be honest with you, I wish I knew about the Ecigssa forum before I bought my first Mod and RTA!

This here is the best place to get the best, unbiased advise in SA. Most shops will never give you the straight up, brutally honest opinions that you will find here. I am not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying that you'll have to search high & low before you find the ones that do! ;)

I started with the "original" Drag 157W and the Wotofo Bravo RTA, which is probably why I am "falling off the wagon" from time to time and going back onto the stinkies. :notagain:

I have since acquired a Vandy Vape Pulse 80W and the Vandy Vape Pulse X, both running Wotofo Recurve RDA's (single coil) and I have to say, this setup is superb in terms of flavour and battery life. The Pulse 80W accommodates a single 18650 or 20700 battery and the Pulse X accommodates a single 18650, 20700 AND 21700 battery.

I am, however, looking at a small device, such as the Aegis Mini as my next device, and from the comments/advice above, I think I might need to find out which MTL Atomizer would best, so, for all intents and puposes, I think you and I are in the same boat! :rofl:

I do not regret getting any of the diveces that I currently have, but it would have made the transition from stinkies to vaping a lot easier.

Coiling and wicking either an RTA or RDA comes with practice and I have spent hours reading suggestions and asking for advice on the forum. All the members are super friendly and always willing to provide stellar advice and even lending a helping hand.

Shout out to @CaliGuy for offering to help you. GIVE THAT MAN A BELLS! :beer-toast1:
I would suggest that you take him up on his offer, it will certainly provide you with all the insight you need into which mods and atomizers suite your preferences the best.

The Pico is going to limit you to 22mm RTA/RDA. Not many DL RTAs around that are 22mm.

Must DL tanks are 24mm, these won’t fit on the Pico but Eleaf do make a Pico 25 100w mod that also takes a 20700 battery. Still a compact mod but it allows you to use 22,24 & 25mm tanks.

Think of the small Pico 75w I suggested as a Pocket Buddy, small, light and easy to carry. A MTL setup should be small and compact, something the size of a pocket of 20 Ciggies is ideal as it helps by feeling familiar while you are switching over from smoking to vaping.
07909428-C2F0-4DE3-BBA7-C3F7EABF93D4.jpeg

Last edited:
The Pico is going to limit you to 22mm RTA/RDA. Not many DL RTAs around that are 22mm.

Must DL tanks are 24mm, these won’t fit on the Pico but Eleaf do make a Pico 25 100w mod that also takes a 20700 battery. Still a compact mod but it allows you to use 22,24 & 25mm tanks.

Think of the small Pico 75w I suggested as a Pocket Buddy, small, light and easy to carry. A MTL setup should be small and compact, something the size of a pocket of 20 Ciggies is ideal as it helps by feeling familiar while you are switching over from smoking to vaping.
View attachment 160729
Agree with @CaliGuy Pico is nice pocket buddy.
a8be464a89091b93a8e9650f0a108d6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum @CJB85

Firstly, congrats on taking the steps to start vaping and on coming here to ask for advice. I think this thread has some golden advice from the members who have responded, many of which are very experienced vapers. So take note of what has been said.

I can't add much to what has been said on the hardware but will add a bit of extra info from my perspective:

Firstly, vaping is a journey. What you think now and what you will think in a month or three month's time is likely to be different. So do the research and get yourself some gear to get you going - but don't worry too much about the long term - you will find your special vaping spot over time.

As for vaping styles - MTL and DL are very different. Ideally, try them both out and see what you prefer. DL with more power, airflow, bigger clouds and lower nic strength - and MTL the opposite. You may find you like them both (I do) and you may want setups for both.

Second thing - I strongly concur with what @Jean claude Vaaldamme said - You need TWO SETUPS! When one goes on the blink or batteries are flat - or the coil needs replacing and you dont have time because you need to go somewhere - you need a second setup. Always have a backup. That is critical to stopping the stinkies successfully.

Next up is the juice. I think one tends to focus a lot on the mods and hardware - but an average mod with an exceptional juice that you LOVE - will be much better than the best mod with juices that you are not mad about. The juice journey can be difficult. You just need to try as many as you can. Try discover what types of juices you enjoy and try as many as you can (in shops or at friends etc). You need to try find one or two juices that you love - that will make a big difference in your vaping.

Lastly, while its great to get advice here - I do think going to a shop to try before you buy is well worth the time. With the mods, feel them in the hand and notice whether it feels good to you. It needs to feel good. Specs can be brilliant but if it feels a bit heavy or oddly shaped - that will most likely stay with you. Next is the juices. Try as many as you can and see what you like. You are in Pretoria - go visit Vapers Corner in Equestria - they have a big selection of juices and I believe most if not all are on demo for you to try out.

All the best and let us know how it goes.

PS - that offer from @CaliGuy is superb - wish I had an experienced vaper like him offering me that when I started.

Some solid advise from @Silver covering what potentially happens on ones vape journey, it is so true that firstly is a journey that one goes on until you find your happy vaping place. And secondly that the juice you end up calling your All Day Vape is so important, everything becomes simpler once you have your favour hardware setup or multiple setups which is common and then finding those few juice flavours thatvget your mouth watering for you vape first thing in the morning.

And yes do go and check out Vapers Corner in Equestria, you can sample all the juices they supply which is a huge bonus and they carry a lot of top notch local and international juices. They have a large and varied selection of hardware too with super helpful staff. MTL vaping is sadly not often featured at vape shops so it does make it a bit difficult to test drive, but most of the store staff should have there own personal pod systems at hand for you to have a few toots to give it a try.

Come to think of it getting a good quility Pod like the Vaporesso Renovo Zero Pod (Awesome flavour, cheap coils) would be a affordable MTL hardware but leaving you open to get a 2nd DL Mod and Tank and that way you could have the best of both worlds with the Pod being MTL with Hi Nic helping you stay off the stinkies.

At the end of the day staying off the stinkies is the real challenge, this forum here is full of awesome people, amazing vape gear being show cased and solid support and advise to help you on your vaping journey.

@CJB85 there is no right or wrong when it comes to vaping, it’s what you enjoy and what feels and tastes right for you that matter. Most of all just enjoy the journey, it’s so worth it.

Okay, dropped by Vape King this morning (had to kill time while a puncture on my car was being fixed).
The lady did not try and sell me the most expensive mod, which was a good start.
She mentioned that re-wicking is a lot harder than people think and can ruin the vaping experience if you are new, so she recommended:
A) a sub-ohm setup
B) keep the twisp as an mtl and do the vape directly to DL.

If I were to look at pre-spun wire coils, how hard is it to install and re-wick and more importantly, how badly can I screw it up?

I am not too sure about the mods she mentioned (shogun popped up, Rincoe Manto X and then Vaporesso Lux). She did however say that they do not stock eLeaf purely because they could not sell as many of them, not because they are bad.

I feel a little like being drawn into a tornado, the more I find out, the crazier it gets.

Here is where my mind was last night:
1 - Pico S 100w (for the larger battery capability)
2 - Ammit MTL RTA (liked a reviewers advice that with the AF all the way open, it is a good restricted lung hit, so can be my intro to DL as well).
Am I over ambitious by looking at RTA from the start?

Okay, dropped by Vape King this morning (had to kill time while a puncture on my car was being fixed).
The lady did not try and sell me the most expensive mod, which was a good start.
She mentioned that re-wicking is a lot harder than people think and can ruin the vaping experience if you are new, so she recommended:
A) a sub-ohm setup

If I were to look at pre-spun wire coils, how hard is it to install and re-wick and more importantly, how badly can I screw it up?

I am not too sure about the mods she mentioned (shogun popped up, Rincoe Manto X and then Vaporesso Lux). She did however say that they do not stock eLeaf purely because they could not sell as many of them, not because they are bad.

I feel a little like being drawn into a tornado, the more I find out, the crazier it gets.

2 - Ammit MTL RTA (liked a reviewers advice that with the AF all the way open, it is a good restricted lung hit, so can be my intro to DL as well).

@CJB85 , I think grass has more DIY genes than I do and if I can manage to build my own coils and wick, then I'm sure you will be able to handle it.
It took me about 3 tries to get things going on the right path, and all it cost me was about 40cm of wire and a little cotton.
Moral of the story is that if I can do it, anyone can.

I agree totally with the comments regarding the Pico. It's a great little mod and excellent for when you are on the go and as a back-up.

There is a complete Pico kit on sale here at a reasonable price - https://www.ecigssa.co.za/istick-pico.t57796/
It also gives you the opportunity to play around with DL since it includes the tank, a few coils as well as a battery

Dont know where @CaliGuy stays, Im in Centurion so should not be far from you, if you want you can come to me also, will teach you in 30min how to make your own coils, fit them and wick them. Its not rocket science and nothing to be scared off.
Dont go buy stuff that you not going to use. I also have normal mod, squonk mod, rda, rdta and normal tank mtl and dl that you can test and see what you like

Dont know where @CaliGuy stays, Im in Centurion so should not be far from you, if you want you can come to me also, will teach you in 30min how to make your own coils, fit them and wick them. Its not rocket science and nothing to be scared off.
Dont go buy stuff that you not going to use. I also have normal mod, squonk mod, rda, rdta and normal tank mtl and dl that you can test and see what you like
Maybe I can buy you and @CaliGuy a beer at Capital craft and you can help me get the hang of it?

@CJB85 Capital Craft sounds like a great plan. Like @Jean claude Vaaldamme Im also based in Centurion.

I’ve sent you a PM with my contacts details. Drop me a WhatsApp or call when you plan to come to this area. I work for myself and from home so I’m always available. We would just need to coordinate with Jean Claude to rope him in.

We will bring some vape gear for you to play around with and by the 2nd Beer you would have coiled and wicked your first RTA or RDA.

Last edited:
Hi @CJB85

When it comes to rewicking a coil it is quite easy. There are some tanks that are a bit finicky and require a few tries to get it right, ie thickness of cotton and placement of the wick tails - but there are many forgiving tanks that are so simple to rewick.

Rebuildables certainly offer a far more tailored vape over time and its a lot cheaper than buying coils

That said, it is nice to have a non rebuildable too for when you dont have time to rewick and just want to pop in a new coil and go in a hurry.

She mentioned that re-wicking is a lot harder than people think and can ruin the vaping experience if you are new

Coiling and wicking is really not that hard. But the thing is to practice to get the wicking perfect. I also came very close to throwing in the towel in the beginning. But once you have it every rta and rda will be a breeze.

Hi @CJB85

When it comes to rewicking a coil it is quite easy. There are some tanks that are a bit finicky and require a few tries to get it right, ie thickness of cotton and placement of the wick tails - but there are many forgiving tanks that are so simple to rewick.

Rebuildables certainly offer a far more tailored vape over time and its a lot cheaper than buying coils

That said, it is nice to have a non rebuildable too for when you dont have time to rewick and just want to pop in a new coil and go in a hurry.
That is actually the one piece of decent advice that the girl at Vape King gave. She said that even if I go the rebuild route, it is a good idea to keep a sub-ohm with some coils in the cubby-hole, as no-one wants to rewick halfway into a braai after a couple of beers.

A) a sub-ohm setup

@CJB85 , you can start with a rebuildable, but it will be something that does need a fair amount of trying to get it right, but it is really not that difficult. Just make sure that the you have a commercial tank that usually comes with as a combo should you not get it right initially so that you can vape.

I spent an hour each night for a week at my vape shop while they taught me how to do it properly, and I haven’t looked back. Have to also say that they recoiled and wicked it for me for about a month with me watching. Once you get it right it’s plain sailing from there.

MTL vs DL is a personal preference, I started on DL and I’m now on MTL, if you get a RTA try to find out how much you can close the airflow to try and accommodate at least a restricted DL which does not mimic MTL exactly but gives you more options. I like your choice of the Pico 100 and the Ammit MTL gives great flavour, and will cover both sides. A bit more difficult to wick than others but great flavour. Hope you get you perfect setup and many happy clouds to you.

View attachment 160729
@CaliGuy @CJB85 , I know this with knock someone’s ocd out of the ballpark, with a simple 22 ml heat sink adapter any tank will fit on a Pico. This is however not a problem with the Pico S as it easily accommodates the big ones. Happy vaping.

My one Pico 75w with a 22 mm and the other with a heat sink and a Avo24 rdta.
F007AE13-1899-4BF2-8ACD-EA64724F4754.jpeg

The Pico is going to limit you to 22mm RTA/RDA.

Must DL tanks are 24mm, these won’t fit on the Pico but Eleaf do make a Pico 25 100w which is still smallish mod but it supports upto 25mm tanks plus It take the higher capacity 20700 battery.

Think of the small Pico as a Pocket Buddy, small, light and easy to carry.
The Pico 21700 takes up to 25mm atties. Linky

High Compatibility
The iStick Pico 21700 can handle various tanks up to 25mm diameter without any overhang.

Just a question. Does all the picos have a screen? For new vaper building a screen showing ohms and watts should help if he don not have ohm meter
Yes they do, I have two Picos myself, everything is included.

They are great for noobs and experienced vapers alike, I personally like them for their durability and safety mechanisms.

Back