Caption this ...

42 what ?

I take it you haven't read the infamous trilogy of six Hitchhiker books?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy
In Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 42 is the number from which all meaning, aka "the meaning of life, the universe, and everything", could be derived.
Adams' book contains the following lines in support of it;

("Cave man" lays out following sentence in Scrabble stones: "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?")
Arthur: Six by nine? Forty-two? You know, I've always felt that there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.
(Faint and distant voice:) Base thirteen!

For the literal-minded and those unfamiliar with terms like "base thirteen," this is a number system in which the number 10 is equivalent to our more familiar decimal 13. A base-13 number 42, therefore, is the same as four 13s plus 2, or decimal 54. So "six by nine" (six times nine) or decimal 54 is, in base 13, 42. For the mystically inclined, 42 in base 13 is the same as 101010 in binary (base 2). This could mean almost anything, and many Adams fans have spent untold hours discovering all of the places where the number "42" pops up. For example, there are many mentions of the number in the Book of Revelation. Others have made a game of finding 42s, such as these:

• The angle at which light reflects off of water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.
  • Two physical constants in the universe are the speed of light and the diameter of a proton. It takes light 10 to the minus 42nd power seconds to cross the diameter of a proton.
  • The sum of the ordinal alphabetic positions of the initials (SPG) for Stan (P.) Gibilisco, an oft-published science and technology writer, is equal to 42 (S=19, P=16, G=7).
  • A barrel holds 42 gallons.
It should however be noted that the above 42's are base 10, not base 13 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 42 is the number from which all meaning, aka "the meaning of life, the universe, and everything", could be derived.

("Cave man" lays out following sentence in Scrabble stones: "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?")
Arthur: Six by nine? Forty-two? You know, I've always felt that there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.

For the literal-minded and those unfamiliar with terms like "base thirteen," this is a number system in which the number 10 is equivalent to our more familiar decimal 13. A base-13 number 42, therefore, is the same as four 13s plus 2, or decimal 54. So "six by nine" (six times nine) or decimal 54 is, in base 13, 42. For the mystically inclined, 42 in base 13 is the same as 101010 in binary (base 2). This could mean almost anything, and many Adams fans have spent untold hours discovering all of the places where the number "42" pops up. For example, there are many mentions of the number in the Book of Revelation. Others have made a game of finding 42s, such as these:

• The angle at which light reflects off of water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.
  • Two physical constants in the universe are the speed of light and the diameter of a proton. It takes light 10 to the minus 42nd power seconds to cross the diameter of a proton.
  • The sum of the ordinal alphabetic positions of the initials (SPG) for Stan (P.) Gibilisco, an oft-published science and technology writer, is equal to 42 (S=19, P=16, G=7).
It should however be noted that the above 42's are base 10, not base 13 :rolleyes:
I want what you are using!!!! That shit must be great!!!

A nice little article about the relationship between Douglas Adams, 42 and ASCII (DA was proficient in this and a massive computer geek) -

https://jones.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/why-42-is-the-meaning-of-life-the-universe-and-everything/

However, one of the comments below the article, since it's (allegedly!) straight from the horse's mouth, is most likely correct:

"Actually… not to be a downer or anything, but I was fortunate enough to see Adams give a speech and Q/A years ago (1995? 96?). During the Q/A session a kid of maybe 17 began a long-winded rambling question filled with all kinds of neat equations and proofs that ultimately led to 42.
The kid was very keen on his process and asked if Adams had followed the same path when determining the Answer to be 42.

“Ah… no. See, I was drunk and thought that it would be rather funny if the answer to life, the universe, and everything was a nonsensical number and 42 popped into my head.”

I would give my left nut to have been allowed to use Douglas Adams' brain for just one day.

Come to think of it I'm not sure that anyone would want my left nut or even the right one.

A nice little article about the relationship between Douglas Adams, 42 and ASCII (DA was proficient in this and a massive computer geek) -

https://jones.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/why-42-is-the-meaning-of-life-the-universe-and-everything/

However, one of the comments below the article, since it's (allegedly!) straight from the horse's mouth, is most likely correct:

"Actually… not to be a downer or anything, but I was fortunate enough to see Adams give a speech and Q/A years ago (1995? 96?). During the Q/A session a kid of maybe 17 began a long-winded rambling question filled with all kinds of neat equations and proofs that ultimately led to 42.
The kid was very keen on his process and asked if Adams had followed the same path when determining the Answer to be 42.

“Ah… no. See, I was drunk and thought that it would be rather funny if the answer to life, the universe, and everything was a nonsensical number and 42 popped into my head.”

Thanks for the link / article Davy :clap: ... whilst I understand the meaning of life to be other than 42 ... It will always be 42, and have the utmost respect for Douglas Adams, to which I still recommend his "trilogy" as essential reading, albeit that said "trilogy" has grown to 6 of recent, with the final one "And Another Thing" authored by Eoin Colfer.

Back