Classic Wet Shaving

So had another go with the feather ac-d2 safety razor but used a Astra superior Platinum blade with a rating of 3/5 aggression.

Was a much better shave than with the feather , much less skin irritation and one tiny weeper (a nick so small it stops bleeding almost immediately) .

I didn't get the smoothest of shaves as I hoped so next time will use the Wilkinson Sword which is a 4/5 aggression.

Hope the Wilkinson Sword will be the winner blade for this razor for my beard.
This is part of the fun in dialing in a New Razor to your preference.

20200126_205230.jpg

Just had my 3rd shave.
Absolutely awesome.
Did 3 passes and I am smooth.

I noticed that the Gillete Minora started pulling on the beard so maybe 2 shaves on that blade is my max. Not sure which one to try next.
I also noticed a little shavers burn in the neckline but a lot less than disposable razors.

Should I go for a milder blade next or more aggressive?

Thanks

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Awesome stuff man, glad you enjoying the razor.
Remind me again what were some of the other blades you had gotten @SAVaper ?

Just had my 3rd shave.
Absolutely awesome.
Did 3 passes and I am smooth.

I noticed that the Gillete Minora started pulling on the beard so maybe 2 shaves on that blade is my max. Not sure which one to try next.
I also noticed a little shavers burn in the neckline but a lot less than disposable razors.

Should I go for a milder blade next or more aggressive?

Thanks

A blade has 4 cutting edges. If you flip the blade you can still use it.

I hope so too preliminary quote came to 7k.
The part i want to replace first cost R129 if I wait 15-30 days and anything from R450- R800 at these spares shops around here. (Non refundable)
So I might only be getting this.View attachment 188763

:RUDEMOUTH::clapclap:View attachment 188764

Dont laugh...ok laugh the same one as advertised hence me wanting to upgrade.
Had to get an emergency razor after losing mine and I'm still using it.

Dont laugh...ok laugh the same one as advertised hence me wanting to upgrade.
Had to get an emergency razor after losing mine and I'm still using it.

No judging, I'm sure it still works fine.
I was actually looking at picking myself up one of these to see how the compare to the more pricier razors.

A blade has 4 cutting edges. If you flip the blade you can still use it.

Sorry I dont want to sound like a know it all but a Double Edge only has 2 cutting edges.

The cutting edge is the point (Edge) of the blade so once its blunt even if you flip the blade the point (Edge) is the same and will be blunt.

Awesome stuff man, glad you enjoying the razor.
Remind me again what were some of the other blades you had gotten @SAVaper ?
Super Max super stainless
Bic Chrome Platinum
Dorco Platinum ST300
Super Max Blue Diamond

Sorry I dont want to sound like a know it all but a Double Edge only has 2 cutting edges.

The cutting edge is the point (Edge) of the blade so once its blunt even if you flip the blade the point (Edge) is the same and will be blunt.
If you check the blade its numbered 1-4. 1and 2 is on the same side and 3and 4 when you flip it.what happens with any knife edge is if you use it one way the edge normally folds(trying to explain it so It sounds right)
If you use one side y(normally in safety razor )use the other side because it cuts the other way. Like with a shavette , going one direction you have a cutting edge and the other direction is also a cutting edge although it is one edge on the blade. Try it and see.

If you check the blade its numbered 1-4. 1and 2 is on the same side and 3and 4 when you flip it.what happens with any knife edge is if you use it one way the edge normally folds(trying to explain it so It sounds right)
If you use one side y(normally in safety razor )use the other side because it cuts the other way. Like with a shavette , going one direction you have a cutting edge and the other direction is also a cutting edge although it is one edge on the blade. Try it and see.
Problem is that I take the blade out after every shave when I clean and I wouldn't be able to tell which way it was in.

Super Max super stainless
Bic Chrome Platinum
Dorco Platinum ST300
Super Max Blue Diamond

Give the Super Max Blue Diamond a go they a bit sharper than the Minoras. The DE1 is a medium to aggressive razor so I think the Blue Diamonds will work lovely .

Report back please I'm also trying to learn this as I go.

So far from my findings that I've seen is the razor aggression should match the blade aggression and that usually gives the best results.

But then again beard thickness plays a big role so what might work for me might not necessarily work for you.
That's why would appreciate the feedback and a comparison to of the SuperMax Diamond vs Minoras on the DE1 Razor.

I can sort of understand what you are saying. But the edge has been compromised (made blunt) so you might only get one or two shaves extra by flipping it.

I'm just speculating here by the number of shaves extra one might get.
I will give it a try and report back. :)

Last edited:
Give the Super Max Blue Diamond a go they a bit sharper than the Minoras. The DE1 is a medium to aggressive razor so I think the Blue Diamonds will work lovely .

Report back please I'm also trying to learn this as I go.

So far from my findings that I've seen is the razor aggression should match the blade aggression and that usually gives the best results.

But then again beard thickness plays a big role so what might work for me might not necessarily work for you.
That's why would appreciate the feedback and a comparison to of the SuperMax Diamond vs Minoras on the DE1 Razor.
Thanks I will do that

Nice haul you got there Uncle @Rob Fisher .
That wooden bowl looks amazing .
The FoMo is strong on that bowl :)

I see you got some shampoo. I have bars of soap sitting in my basket for my next order that I wanna try out.

Let us know how that Rockwell shaving cream is and what the scent is please Uncle.

@Clouds4Days so I'm ordering one of the cheap starter kits, either the one with the wooden stand or just the student starter kit, ordering tomorrow, excited to try it out

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That's great man, cant wait to have you on board with us.
Either way you cant go wrong as both combos come with the DE1 Razor which is a awesome razor .

Keep us updated brother

More goodies incoming tomorrow. Longer shaft for the D2 and few other things i want to try. Will post tomorrow

Still pissed at you @Clouds4Days

No judging, I'm sure it still works fine.
I was actually looking at picking myself up one of these to see how the compare to the more pricier razors.
I have two electric shavers. A Phillips portable and a Phillipshave wet and dry.dont use it much.lost my other razor and had to get this cheapie. It never gave me in-growns ,bumps or rash yet and have it for 3 months now.

More goodies incoming tomorrow. Longer shaft for the D2 and few other things i want to try. Will post tomorrow

Still pissed at you @Clouds4Days

Oh nice man, where did you find the longer handle from?

Why me what did I ever do :-D
Hey it's cheaper than cartridge shaving at least... that's what we all said about vaping as well when we started :-D

Cant wait to see some shave mail pics :thumbsup:

Problem is that I take the blade out after every shave when I clean and I wouldn't be able to tell which way it was in.

15801479920854684793099580960448.jpg 1580148033601760327492738573047.jpg
Now you know why its its numbered like this. @SAVaper i normally use 1-2 up first then flip it to 3-4 once it starts pulling or not shaving close enough.

I have two electric shavers. A Phillips portable and a Phillipshave wet and dry.dont use it much.lost my other razor and had to get this cheapie. It never gave me in-growns ,bumps or rash yet and have it for 3 months now.

I like using the trimmers on the electric shavers, I find when I used to use the electric on the beard I constantly had to keep going over and over the same spot.

Oh nice man, where did you find the longer handle from?

Why me what did I ever do :-D
Hey it's cheaper than cartridge shaving at least... that's what we all said about vaping as well when we started :-D

Cant wait to see some shave mail pics :thumbsup:

Jaco organised for me. He had a spare rockwell handle lying around that he kindly sold to me. I love my D2, but the handle is too short. This guy's customer service amazes me.

Because @Clouds4Days, ive spent more at Bundubeard the past month than on vapegear for the last 6 months.

HOWEVER this is the 1st time since i started shaving that i dont sit with a post shave rash. And i used to get it bad.

So i want to moer you and hug you at the same time.

Im conflicted

I can sort of understand what you are saying. But the edge has been compromised (made blunt) so you might only get one or two shaves extra by flipping it.

I'm just speculating here by the number of shaves extra one might get.
I will give it a try and report back. :)
Screenshot_20200127-202512~2.png
Just something from a shaving forum. And its debated there too.
That said it works for me but, it may not work for everyone.

Back