Coil advice

Eisenhorn

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi all,
My dilemma: What coils to try, from where?!?

I am simply too swamped with all the conflicting info out there.
Looking for coil types that will suit my vape style:
1:Flavour, flavour, flavour
2:Cool vape
3: Slow semi-restricted lung pulls
4: hopefully quick ramp up.

Have a 22m dual coil RDA (Freakshow v2) , then a Serpent SMM RTA. Haven't tried the Serpent yet as I don't have a mod it can fit on yet (Vapecon ) .

In the RDA have tried 0.85 claptons (0.42 in dual) from "ROF Vape" and they are terrible on flavour and long ramp up.
With the RDA i got some simple dual twisted wire 0.5 (0.26 in dual) coils that are really nice. Good flavour, quick ramp, however they tend to spit a lot.
Vape both of these at around 30~40 watt on my pico.

So where to from here? Aliens? Framed claptons, just regular round kanthal? Low resistance, higher resistance...
Wanted to try the Daemon killer variety box, however have heard not great things about their coils or most cheap Chinese coils.

If I could get some advice on how different coils compare that would be great :
Eg: try xyz from abc, they would be good for you because of 123

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi all,

3: Slow semi-restricted long pulls

Have a 22m dual coil RDA (Freakshow v2) , then a Serpent SMM RTA. Haven't tried the Serpent yet as I don't have a mod it can fit on yet (Vapecon ) .

In the RDA have tried 0.85 claptons (0.42 in dual) from "ROF Vape" and they are terrible on flavour and long ramp up.
With the RDA i got some simple dual twisted wire 0.5 (0.26 in dual) coils that are really nice. Good flavour, quick ramp, however they tend to spit a lot.

So where to from here? Aliens? Framed claptons, just regular round kanthal? Low resistance, higher resistance...
Wanted to try the Daemon killer variety box, however have heard not great things about their coils or most cheap Chinese coils.

Aliens offer the most flavor for me personally, others may have their own stupid opinions :giggle:
You need to get something Ni80... Try @Mr_Puffs or @RiaanRed or @smilelykumeenit

I use each of them for different things as they each have their own areas of expertise.

Hi all,

3: Slow semi-restricted lung pulls

If I could get some advice on how different coils compare that would be great :
Eg: try xyz from abc, they would be good for you because of 123

I second @Amir 's post.

But I'd also be tempted to take a step back. Vic (a Scottish YouTube vaper that I quite enjoy watching and I mostly value his opinion) has tried numerous builds with simple roundwire microcoils and gets pretty massive flavour from it compared to the fancier counterparts.

That being said, I've lately started using framed staple aliens myself. Flavour is on point, and it wicks beautifully. I haven't done a blind side-by-side test to see how big the flavour difference is between that and roundwire, but my honest guess is that it'd be surprisingly small.

The main reason I go for "fancier" coils is because they last longer, if you take care of them - and they (especially aliens) hold juice of their own in those pockets. Also helps with pulling juice through the wick faster.

I second @Amir 's post.

But I'd also be tempted to take a step back. Vic (a Scottish YouTube vaper that I quite enjoy watching and I mostly value his opinion) has tried numerous builds with simple roundwire microcoils and gets pretty massive flavour from it compared to the fancier counterparts.

That being said, I've lately started using framed staple aliens myself. Flavour is on point, and it wicks beautifully. I haven't done a blind side-by-side test to see how big the flavour difference is between that and roundwire, but my honest guess is that it'd be surprisingly small.

The main reason I go for "fancier" coils is because they last longer, if you take care of them - and they (especially aliens) hold juice of their own in those pockets. Also helps with pulling juice through the wick faster.

And they have a tendency to give a more dense, cooler vape than the simple wire by my findings. Simple wire gets really hot really fast which is a good thing in its own right... But for longer slower more controlled inhales, I dig the aliens and fused claptons

Thanks for the reply guys, appreciate it.
So I'm guessing the mayor difference in flavour between my two coils (clapton and twisted) is mostly due to the resistance 0.8 vs 0.5?
Is lower always better?
Also, how quickly do those framed aliens gunk up? After about 30ml 2-3 days my claptons are a burnt gunky mess and I need to clean and re-wick. On the twisted I can go for almost a week 100ml plus till the cotton is dead.

Thanks for the reply guys, appreciate it.
So I'm guessing the mayor difference in flavour between my two coils (clapton and twisted) is mostly due to the resistance 0.8 vs 0.5?
Is lower always better?
Also, how quickly do those framed aliens gunk up? After about 30ml 2-3 days my claptons are a burnt gunky mess and I need to clean and re-wick. On the twisted I can go for almost a week 100ml plus till the cotton is dead.

With the regulated devices there isn't going to be much difference between a 0.5 and 0.8 ohm vape. The wattage you put through the coils will determine the voltage and vice versa. Higher resistance coils take less toll on your battery offering you a longer lasting battery. The major difference comes from the wire type itself and secondary is the wicking. I tend to dry burn and rinse and re-wick every 2-3 days and a major cleaning every week. Major cleaning involves a light soak and soap and brush with a soft bristle toothbrush lightly. I find the steel brush too harsh and sometimes the bristles snag in the coil.

With the regulated devices there isn't going to be much difference between a 0.5 and 0.8 ohm vape. The wattage you put through the coils will determine the voltage and vice versa. Higher resistance coils take less toll on your battery offering you a longer lasting battery. The major difference comes from the wire type itself and secondary is the wicking. I tend to dry burn and rinse and re-wick every 2-3 days and a major cleaning every week. Major cleaning involves a light soak and soap and brush with a soft bristle toothbrush lightly. I find the steel brush too harsh and sometimes the bristles snag in the coil.

Laugh all you want @smilelykumeenit but i really went out and got a dedicated soft bristle brush and I no longer use my room mates toothbrush

@smilelykumeenit recommended I buy a baby toothbrush when I bought coils from him , so if that's the source of his laughter, it's with you not at you

He recommended it to me too but I was a bit isolated at the time so I wanted to use my room mates toothbrush

Picking up some coils from Smilelykummeenit tomorrow.
*Yay*

Name calling don't work on me

I really wish i could be there tho... it's gonna be a sore miss for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll pm you an essay explaining how awesome it was and what you missed out on :p (with some pics)

I'll pm you an essay explaining how awesome it was and what you missed out on :p (with some pics)

Please add a pic with you punching yourself in the nose for and from me

Please add a pic with you punching yourself in the nose for and from me

Here you go! :p

FqSmenh.jpg
83697e8f-8fed-4147-b3cf-166821198e9d

I would try Kanthal 26g on this, 6 wraps each side, 3.0mm diameter. Give it a go!

Hi @Eisenhorn

I know what you mean about wanting a coolish flavour filled vape for long restricted draws.

May I suggest the following:
Get some NI80 normal round wire and make standard 7 or 8 wrap coils around an ID of about 2.5mm
Should be about 0.7 ohms for one coil or 0.35 ohms for dual. You can run it at about 25-35 Watts.
Thats a great starting point IMO.
Simple yet effective.

Kanthal will also work but I find NI80 ramps up quicker.

Then you can tailor the coil to your liking. If you want a crisper faster ramp vape, use thinner wire. Deeper and denser, use fatter wire. I find the ID plays a role too. Smaller ID tends to be hotter but at the cost of less wick so less juice carried. For me there is a range of ID that works for the coil and power setting.

I put this dual coil into my petri v2 RDA and preferred it over the micro aliens that were in there before. (Not sure of the alien specs but the dual was 0.6 ohms) Ramp up was much better and it doesnt gunk as much. As for flavour, many will say the exotic coils with their increased surface area give more flavour, but i prefer the simpler coils. For menthols and tobaccoes its asif the simpler coils feel purer to me. But that said, i havent had much experience with different types of exotics and several folk have told me I need to try the faster ramp thinner gauge exotics from the custom coil builders. I will get there at some point...

Thanks
@Silver, @contrid for the advice.
Thanks @Amir and @zadiac for erm...making the thread entertaining ;P

Picking up some fancy coils today to see that side of the spectrum.
Planning on eventually getting some wire and making some basic coils myself to see how that goes.

Thanks

Planning on eventually getting some wire and making some basic coils myself to see how that goes.

Great to hear
By the way, making the simple coils is really easy. You just need a screwdriver of the right thickness to act as a mandrel and you wind your coil on there. Its a lot easier than most folk think beforehand.

Thanks

My apologies. If you want, I'll remove our "off topic" posts.

Back