Coil Life

eVape

New Vaper
LV

Awards
I was reading an article on another site that was really interesting and had a lot of information on coil life. The one thing that jumped out at me was the following

To determine how long your vape coils will last first you must know that every situation will be different. From what type of vape device you are using to what e-juice you are vaping with. A variety of reasons will factor in how long before the coil should be replaced.

Such as:
  • The type of tank that you have
  • The quality of the particular coils
  • The voltage/wattage that you are vaping at
  • The rate at which you are vaping through your e-liquid
  • The type of juice you are vaping

On average, a decently constructed coil for a sub-ohm tank should last you 4 days to 1 week.

The 4 days to one week got me. If I was going through coils at that rate I might need to rethink vaping completely. I have the Smok IPX 80 Kit that I purchase about 3 weeks back. So far the coil seems to be lasting well. I make my own juice at the 70/30 ration and vape at around 15W

It is all subjective to how you vape and the variables are way to wide spread to make an accurate finding on how long a stock coil (or rebuildable) will last in general. Maybe you chain vape, maybe you take a puff every hour or two. Maybe you suck hard, maybe you are a "dainty" vaper.

When I started full time vaping a Caliburn pod lasted me 2 weeks. Now a stock coil does not last 4 days, for that reason I only build and wick on all my tanks.

But at 15w with your own juice (which I can imagine is not as sweet as some shop bought juices) it should last you over a week with some drop in flavor along the way.

That is the exact reason I skipped over commercial coils altogether right from the get-go.
If I make a mistake, happen to vape a coil killer liquid or run a high wattage build, it only costs me a new strip of cotton and a little effort.
Commercial coils are first and foremost designed as a constant revenue stream for the creators.

I am bad with coils. If I strip to rewick, I will measure the coil again and then decide to wrap a new one at a slightly different resistance, you know just to see if it makes a difference. Or maybe a different wire, or maybe a clapton or maybe I will try a twisted or maybe a 2.75 instead of a 2.5 or maybe ................................

Stop it now ...................... no I mean it.... stop it.

I am bad with coils. If I strip to rewick, I will measure the coil again and then decide to wrap a new one at a slightly different resistance, you know just to see if it makes a difference. Or maybe a different wire, or maybe a clapton or maybe I will try a twisted or maybe a 2.75 instead of a 2.5 or maybe ................................

Exactly! That why commercial coils can suck it! I build , therfore I am.... I'm hoping it sounds wise:facepalm:

I can't agree entirely. As they say , horses for courses. If a person is not mechanically or electrically minded then why not have a push and plug product. I would much rather that than them smoking so why not make it as easy as possible.

and in that time you wrapped another 3 already?

That happens too, if I find a setup I like in one RDA, I try and replicate it on all my RDA's. But if it does not taste the same as the first one, it goes back to what it was before... chopping and changing.

But still, cheaper than R60-R70/pop on a stock coil. My go-to cotton and wire is about R100/each (pack of cotton and roll of wire). So at the price of 3 stock coils I have enough wire and cotton to last me a couple of months on one RDA/RTA/RDTA. On a 10ft roll of wire I can get about 25 coils (at 12cm each). That is R4/coil. On a pack of cotton I can get at least 60 wicks (sometimes more for smaller ID coils). That is R1.70/wick. R5.70/full coil setup. And the wire coils last me 1 to 3 months, depending what build it is and how often I do maintenance on it. Lets say the wire coil lasts 1 month, I have 25 months of wire to use for one tank. I rewick once a week, that is 60 weeks of cotton. Which makes it 1 roll of wire and 2 packs of cotton per single coil RDA/RTA/RDTA for 2 years worth of coils. That same R300 spent can buy me about 5 stock coils that will last me less than a month (R7200 for two years worth of stock coils).

Yes, buying a more "exotic" wire coil can cost more than wrapping your own or using stock coils. But I dont mind rewicking and recoiling my rebuildables instead of using stock coils.

And still cheaper than smoking stinkies... if you only use 1 setup.

I do the exact same thing all the time.

I was stuck in traffic just now and I was already planning in my head while sitting there to take a wrap off the current build I have going now, just in case it’s better you know.

and in that time you wrapped another 3 already?

That happens too, if I find a setup I like in one RDA, I try and replicate it on all my RDA's. But if it does not taste the same as the first one, it goes back to what it was before... chopping and changing.

But still, cheaper than R60-R70/pop on a stock coil. My go-to cotton and wire is about R100/each (pack of cotton and roll of wire). So at the price of 3 stock coils I have enough wire and cotton to last me a couple of months on one RDA/RTA/RDTA. On a 10ft roll of wire I can get about 25 coils (at 12cm each). That is R4/coil. On a pack of cotton I can get at least 60 wicks (sometimes more for smaller ID coils). That is R1.70/wick. R5.70/full coil setup. And the wire coils last me 1 to 3 months, depending what build it is and how often I do maintenance on it. Lets say the wire coil lasts 1 month, I have 25 months of wire to use for one tank. I rewick once a week, that is 60 weeks of cotton. Which makes it 1 roll of wire and 2 packs of cotton per single coil RDA/RTA/RDTA for 2 years worth of coils. That same R300 spent can buy me about 5 stock coils that will last me less than a month (R7200 for two years worth of stock coils).

Yes, buying a more "exotic" wire coil can cost more than wrapping your own or using stock coils. But I dont mind rewicking and recoiling my rebuildables instead of using stock coils.

And still cheaper than smoking stinkies... if you only use 1 setup.
I buy most of my coils at $3.50 for ten Coilology coils from Fasttech. I have around a 100 wrapped coils and 6 spools of wire at the moment. No way that even nursing commercial coils at MTL wattages can ever match that in terms of spend. :-D

I can't agree entirely. As they say , horses for courses. If a person is not mechanically or electrically minded then why not have a push and plug product. I would much rather that than them smoking so why not make it as easy as possible.
My 2 cents. I agree. Whatever floats your boat and you stay off the stinkies go for it. Vapers have different needs, resources and options available to them and its all a personal choice. Convenience, interest, $$ available, time etc.. There is no single right or wrong here, just choices. And the vaper decides that accordingly. Knowing what these choices are would be probably more important! To make an informed decision. Hence really enjoying this site a lot! Every smoker that starts vaping is a "winner" last time I checked. :campeon:

With this AU vape ban "govt sword" hanging over us just being able to, for now, still buy vape stuff is a plus. With the massive cost of cigarettes in AU (Ie. Marlboro red 25 at AU$ 55 or ZAR 652 a single packet) even buying all the vape stuff at full retail price local is still only roughly +/- 10% average $$s of what a heavy smoker would pay buying cigarettes daily or every second day. I buy mostly from China and Hong Kong so I save even more. I use my "stocked up" supply of commercial coils but I've got my "bug out" supply of diy atties, cotton and wire/mesh. Built diy a few times, ok it works I know that now. But that's my ultimate "sh%t hits the fan* plan B to keep vaping longer term. Would be interesting to know the smoke vs vape "in general" average actual $ cost breakdown difference in SA?

I get a week or two out of most coils. Sometimes even a month as I do mostly a cool mtl. So seriously for a few packets of coils (x5 a packet) a year I'm quite ok with that.

Last edited:
My 2 cents. I agree. Whatever floats your boat and you stay off the stinkies go for it. Vapers have different needs, resources and options available to them and its all a personal choice. Convenience, interest, $$ available, time etc.. There is no single right or wrong here, just choices. And the vaper decides that accordingly. Knowing what these choices are would be probably more important! To make an informed decision. Hence really enjoying this site a lot! Every smoker that starts vaping is a "winner" last time I checked. :campeon:

With this AU vape ban "govt sword" hanging over us just being able to, for now, still buy vape stuff is a plus. With the massive cost of cigarettes in AU (Ie. Marlboro red 25 at AU$ 55 or ZAR 652 a single packet) even buying all the vape stuff at full retail price local is still only roughly +/- 10% of what a heavy smoker would pay buying cigarettes daily or every second day. I buy mostly from China and Hong Kong so I save even more. I use my "stocked up" supply of commercial coils but I've got my "bug out" supply of diy atties, cotton and wire/mesh. Built diy a few times, ok it works I know that now. But that's my ultimate "sh%t hits the fan* plan B to keep vaping longer term. Would be interesting to know the smoke vs vape "in general" cost breakdown difference in SA?

I get a week or two out of most coils. Sometimes even a month as I do mostly a cool mtl. So seriously for a few packets of coils (x5 a packet) a year I'm quite ok with that.
From what i saw in another thread smoking is much cheaper in SA to the UK!

I concur @Stranger. I keep saying that I'm going to learn how to build, but I still haven't got around to it. Even buying pre-built, hand-made coils is just not for me. Quite frankly, I couldn't be bothered. I get irritated when I have to replace a commercial coil, let alone do anything else!

"Know thyself" is the bottom line.

I've found that commercial coils last a few days longer when I use the same juice, instead of switching flavours. I've mentioned this before and quite a few peeps remarked that it doesn't make sense if all the juice is the same VG/PG ratio. That may well be, but this is what I experience.

Since I don't like vaping the same flavour all day long, I have different mods. For example, one mod is for Coffee only and another for Bakery/Dessert. I take a puff of Coffee and then a puff of Bakery. Works well for me.

With this AU vape ban "govt sword" hanging over us just being able to, for now, still buy vape stuff is a plus. With the massive cost of cigarettes in AU (Ie. Marlboro red 25 at AU$ 55 or ZAR 652 a single packet) even buying all the vape stuff at full retail price local is still only roughly +/- 10% average $$s of what a heavy smoker would pay buying cigarettes daily or every second day. I buy mostly from China and Hong Kong so I save even more. I use my "stocked up" supply of commercial coils but I've got my "bug out" supply of diy atties, cotton and wire/mesh. Built diy a few times, ok it works I know that now. But that's my ultimate "sh%t hits the fan* plan B to keep vaping longer term. Would be interesting to know the smoke vs vape "in general" average actual $ cost breakdown difference in SA?

I think that is a major downfall for smokers in SA, the still relatively cheap price. Premium packets must go between R45-R55 a pack of 20 now (guessing as I have not actually been to a cigarette counter in just about two years) and much cheaper options floating around.
If I were a politician with half a brain, I would triple the tax on cigarettes and ring fence a portion of that money to subsidise vaping!

Freemax and Univapo coils lasts. Just my input.maybe consider getting one of those subohm tanks.

I think that is a major downfall for smokers in SA, the still relatively cheap price. Premium packets must go between R45-R55 a pack of 20 now (guessing as I have not actually been to a cigarette counter in just about two years) and much cheaper options floating around.
If I were a politician with half a brain, I would triple the tax on cigarettes and ring fence a portion of that money to subsidise vaping!

I think our government have gotten way too comfortable with the income derived from the tobacco industry, and are at pains to jeopardise it by increasing taxes and excise duties, remembering that a large percentage of smokers live below the bread line, that said ... I do believe they will impose an excise duty on vaping too.

I think our government have gotten way too comfortable with the income derived from the tobacco industry, and are at pains to jeopardise it by increasing taxes and excise duties, remembering that a large percentage of smokers live below the bread line, that said ... I do believe they will impose an excise duty on vaping too.
I was going to say something but your right. A beer is cheaper than a bread.

Tax on Tobacco and Alcohol is very high in the UK and tend to get raised every budget (on top of standard VAT). You are looking at over £10 for 20 cigarettes and over £3 for a pint of beer, a 5% volume beer or Guinness nearer £4 a pint! In comparison just bought a loaf of bread today, 58p!

Back