Coils and that stuff

Im alive!!!! Hehehe went against advice last night and just chucked the batteries in charger and went to sleep.. I know, but I just dont have spare batteries yet and Im trying to quit smoking, so did not want to be in situation today with flat batteries and buying smokes again.

Anyway hope its ok if I ask other questions here also. So the batteries. I have to of those pink 18650 batteries. When i bought them the guy said it has to be married. So he takes two batteries out a plastic container. They were not in any box or wrapping. Anayway then he starts digging n his personal backpack and come out with another pink battery. He then put all these in an charger and gve me one of the "new" ones and the one from the backpack. I asked if that one from the backpack is new, he said yes and I must rather take it as it is marries to the other one.
Anyway, so last night as I put them in the charger, the charger says the one is on 34% and the other 0% . I dont onow which one is which anymore, but it seems strange that they are not equally rundown.

Im alive!!!! Hehehe went against advice last night and just chucked the batteries in charger and went to sleep.. I know, but I just dont have spare batteries yet and Im trying to quit smoking, so did not want to be in situation today with flat batteries and buying smokes again.

Anyway hope its ok if I ask other questions here also. So the batteries. I have to of those pink 18650 batteries. When i bought them the guy said it has to be married. So he takes two batteries out a plastic container. They were not in any box or wrapping. Anayway then he starts digging n his personal backpack and come out with another pink battery. He then put all these in an charger and gve me one of the "new" ones and the one from the backpack. I asked if that one from the backpack is new, he said yes and I must rather take it as it is marries to the other one.
Anyway, so last night as I put them in the charger, the charger says the one is on 34% and the other 0% . I dont onow which one is which anymore, but it seems strange that they are not equally rundown.

I have had that with two married Samsung 25r batteries. I bought them new but from day 1 the one runs down faster than the other and is always on a lower charge even when fully charged. I am not too worried about it now though as I don't use them as a pair anymore. They never gave me problems when used as a pair but the one always ran down faster.

Anayway then he starts digging n his personal backpack and come out with another pink battery. He then put all these in an charger and gve me one of the "new" ones and the one from the backpack
Eisch! I would take both back, demand to talk to the boss and get two truly new ones.

Married batteries means two cells of equal age that have right from the word go only ever been used together. This makes them age at the same rate and avoids one battery having to “carry” the other lower performing one.

There will always be small differences but what you described points to way to much of a gap between the two.

Regards

Jean Claude I see you are in Centurion. PM me and lets get together to help you

Sorry very busy this week. Havent had time to try byild another. Will try over the weekend again, but if I still strugling next week I will definately make use of your generous offer and contact you Thanks

Ok so I dont know much, but have some logic so have a possible fault that may be the problem. So after some youtube and google , many people said the moonshot sometime leak if wicking etc are not rigjht. Anyway after my first build I did not have any leaks. That was til monday. When I was at the mall and saw the vape counter of evolution vape(I think), to get tools. So the lady cheched the moonshot and asked where you fill juice. Took of top cap and showed her, and put back. And back in my pocket and within 2min half my tanked leaked out in my pocket. Now I dont knwi how much she knwo, but she said that type of atomizer sometime leaks and then you must just push power and blow into it. Truessbob it worked emmediately and leak was gone. Now everytime I refill I first blow into it while pushing power button.

Anyway long story short. What I noticed while blowing into it, is that on the one sides airflow holes there come twice as much smoke as on the other side. So my logic tell me that maybe with my inexperience, the one coil heats up faster and more than the other, and thats maybe the problem why the smoke gets so hot so quickly

Hi @Jean claude Vaaldamme - I hear you on charging while you sleep because you dont have enough batteries. Just a word of caution - if something goes wrong while those batteries are charging (unlikely) it could lead to a fire - and if you are sleeping, it might not end well. So at least put the charger in a place that it cant burn anything. I.e. on a tiled floor away from other things

As for the batteries, new batteries are usually charged to about 40-50% when they ship from the manufacturer. So if the one was at 0%, then it could be that it is very old (i.e. been sitting on the shelf for very long) or there could be a problem with it. I have bought many batteries over the years and all new batteries I have bought have been about half charged.

OMG, not a Tube Mech!
:couch:

Regards
Lol at least he's asking questions and doing research.

@Jean claude Vaaldamme at least get a decent backup mod that is regulated if your current one backs up. I learnt a very hard lesson and now have owned at least 6 mods, two were given away to friends and two failed on me.

The Eleaf iJust range is a good semi regulated mod as a spare. Hassle free and easy to use too. No extra bells and whistles, fairly straightforward.

Ok have some time this morning so round two. This is what the first attempt look like after 5days
IMG-20181102-WA0000.jpg

Going to try build new coils now, this is the wire and cotton they sold me, is it fine?
IMG_20181102_083745.jpg

Should the loops of the coils touch each other? And if so, how the hel do you get that right?

They don't have to touch precisely - if they don't, it is referred to as a Spaced Coil.

There are special tools for coil building, but you can also use something like a nail. Just wind it tight and they should touch.

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Ok ok I dont know if pretty coils make the vape better, because mine is not very pretty looking, but with time I hope it will get better. But they do seem to heatup evenly. It show .35 on the little cheap ohm meter I got with the toolkit. Dont know how accurate it is. I used 3.5 mm coil this time with 8loops, if I counted right, hehehe. Same 24ga ni80 wire
IMG_20181102_093156.jpg

Another qeustion. This moonshot rdta is small an the previous time I got a short only when I fitted the chimney. So on this little ohm meter will it show something else than the .35 if I fit the chimney and there is a short?

And another Is it a problem if coil wire touch the post(where you screw it tight) on the outside where coil bend upwards? One is very close, dont think its touching and it does not show any short circuits

Another qeustion. This moonshot rdta is small an the previous time I got a short only when I fitted the chimney. So on this little ohm meter will it show something else than the .35 if I fit the chimney and there is a short?

General rule - don't let the coils touch any part of the atty besides for the post connection. It must defenitely not touch cap/chimney. Maybe build smaller diameter coils - 2.5mm rather than 3mm. Also cut the remaining coil legs as short and close to the posts as possible - reducing the risk of touching the cap and causing a short. Always make sure that the coils are tightened properly, but don't over-tighten and strip the grub screws

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Ok wicks in. Does it look ok? Now showing .36 on ohm meterView attachment 150320

How it looks is less important - the cap will cover it anyway and as long as OCD is not your problem, all is well How it vapes is what counts.

The diameter of your coils does look bigger than 3mm, but that might just be the photo. I would try to make it slightly smaller maybe

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Thanks. Yes its is 3,5 mm first build I did on Sunday was 2.5mm diameter but it seemed very hot(the smoke/vapor). Thus I tried building bigger ones this time. Hehe and sommer try fit a 3.5 in there

Ok wicks in. Does it look ok? Now showing .36 on ohm meterView attachment 150320
Just to add my 2 cents, this picture looks like you didnt dry burn your coils before wicking them, you should do that to make sure there arent any hotspots etc.

Also try download a coil building app to your phone, the coil calculator is really useful when you starting out. then if the calculation is way different to what your ohm meter is showing, then you know something is wrong, like a short.

Just to add my 2 cents, this picture looks like you didnt dry burn your coils before wicking them, you should do that to make sure there arent any hotspots etc.

Also try download a coil building app to your phone, the coil calculator is really useful when you starting out. then if the calculation is way different to what your ohm meter is showing, then you know something is wrong, like a short.
Thanks. Dont know what dry burn means. I did put coils on my vape before wicking to see if it heats evenly. And adjusted few times with tweezers. They were heated till glowing red/orange about 10times while I was adjusting. Saw that on youtube, so dont know if that counts as dry burn?
Anyway just had a few puffs, and its much better than the first build, better flavour and more smoke. It still sound like snap crackle pop on steriods after I push the button for longer than a second, but much better

Give me a couple of minutes. I need to rewick anyway, so I'll upload a picture tutorial for you on coils and wicking explaining dry burn , etc.

Give me a couple of minutes. I need to rewick anyway, so I'll upload a picture tutorial for you on coils and wicking explaining dry burn , etc.
Thanks. Dont be in to much of a hurry, I must fit new brake pads to wifes car. Hehe cant even have a morning off then she gives me extra work. Luckily I wicked before my hands get dirty

So, here goes.

This is the coil after vaping for a while (in your case think of it as a freshly installed coil.)

afd593074591aa0da1be07f2893f150e.jpg

First we dry burn to check heating (in my case to clean the coils too)

What you want to see is even heating from the inside out. (On dual coil builds, both coils should heat up at the same time.)

f589ff77cb6e3505f73055f6cbe3df8e.jpg

If it isn't doing this, heat up the coils again, and while they are cooling down pinch them with a tweezer. Heat up again to see if they are heating up better. Repeat this process until you are happy that they are heating up properly.

0f9f8c42f4ade57bd875cc2c34d6ce61.jpg

Should hot spots show up, strum your coils with your tweezer in the cool down phase. (Like strumming the strings on a guitar)

6c7561d46ab7ba7a75123affba3e1aeb.jpg

8f9e1e92d097f85182487d0da776581a.jpg

When you are happy with the heating up, you can proceed to wicking.

Unfortunately I don't have the same tank as you, so I cant help sufficiently with wicking. However it seems that you have that part down. As an added tip, you can strum the coils a last time after you have wicked and juiced up the coils (this helps eliminate any hit spots accidentally created while pulling your wick through.)

Last edited:
Back