Concentrate Stand

I am now out of space again. M and S are the main problems, both swelled greatly with recent purchases. Happily, the seedling tray place now has online purchasing with PayFast so I may order from them, depending on what the delivery price will be. I fear the charges may be quite steep seeing as it's a bulky item.

You can find Twinings boxes here. They offer free shipping although the empty boxes are R895 each. Might as well get the box full of Twinings teas for a hundred bucks extra. Then you can take the concentrates out of the fishing tackle box and put them in the Twinings box, take the teas from the Twinings box and put them in the fishing tackle box, and take your fishing tackle that was originally in the tackle box and sell it on Gumtree to buy nic salts and more flavours. I love it when a plan comes together.

I work in the industry, so I got them from work but they are not available to buy.
If you google, you can find unbranded ones - search for 'tea box with lid south africa' - you will see some local box manufacturers, etc who has similar ones available. You also get them (plain press wood) as craft shops - I saw them at the craft store at Lifestyle Garden Centre.
Thx man,
I found a tea place online that has the twinings boxes, but they about 800-1000 each. bit heavy. I've seen that craft shop at lifestyle, I'll go take a look to see if I can find anything. failing that, I'll just get some seedling trays.

I also found a lazer cutter just down the road from me, so I'm currently searching for plans for a lazer-cut stand. perspex or mdf are viable options for materials.

I am now out of space again. M and S are the main problems, both swelled greatly with recent purchases. Happily, the seedling tray place now has online purchasing with PayFast so I may order from them, depending on what the delivery price will be. I fear the charges may be quite steep seeing as it's a bulky item.
have you got a link to the seedling tray place Mr RichJB?

Here you go.

I'm wondering if there isn't a business opportunity here. I have found several places that make cardboard or plastic boxes to client specification. Of course, it would be ridiculous for me to commission a design when I'm going to buy ten boxes. But if it was done at an industry level, where a vendor is ordering 10k boxes, it would become cheap to have custom boxes made.

I reckon you'd only need two designs: one that will take 10ml HDPE or PET bottles, another that will take 30ml bottles. I imagine there are very few DIYers who have stacks of 100ml bottles. So a simple compartmentalised and stackable sturdy cardboard box with a lid, much like a shoe box, that takes say 15x12 10ml bottles or 10x8 30ml bottles. You could start small and get more boxes as your stash grows, ordering more from the vendor as and when you need them. I imagine it would be quite cheap to manufacture such a cardboard box in bulk. Plastic would probably cost a bit more but still probably quite affordable.

Hey guys just saw this post I can manufacture these stands for you guys in wood or clear Perspex. Let me know if interested I will try and keep the cost low as possible but Perspex is insanely expensive. Ideally you would make this in something like a birch plywood. I have a cnc router at my disposal so i can design it to make it flat packable for ease of shipping.

Here is a quick design I did that makes use of 3mm Clear Perspex. Can make it bigger or smaller if need be. This is just going of the image in the first post.

con stand.jpg

Looking for two of these locally. Anyone been able to find any of these at a realistic price? Most I find online are over R600.
I just figured out that I've been searching for the wrong thing. Search instead for "nail varnish display stand"

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Another Idea I just tried. Dirt cheap. Each board size is 260 x 300 and holds 100 10ml bottles if filling all rows which was my original idea. If you leave a gap between the rows and only put bottles in the elastic bands it holds 50 bottles and you can read the label. Sorting is done alphabetically the same as @RichJB
Next time I will make them stackable by making the short ends longer towards the bottom to sit on top of each other and use some solid pine or pre drill the sides to prevent the splitting you see.
IMG_1163.jpg IMG_1161.jpg IMG_1164.jpg

Another Idea I just tried. Dirt cheap. Each board size is 260 x 300 and holds 100 10ml bottles if filling all rows which was my original idea. If you leave a gap between the rows and only put bottles in the elastic bands it holds 50 bottles and you can read the label. Sorting is done alphabetically the same as @RichJB
Next time I will make them stackable by making the short ends longer towards the bottom to sit on top of each other and use some solid pine or pre drill the sides to prevent the splitting you see.
View attachment 130989 View attachment 130990 View attachment 130991

very nice @Bulldog

View attachment 130989 View attachment 130990 View attachment 130991
I really like this, Well done!

Correction will hold 110 bottles if using all rows :-D
Another nice point is the same stand can be used for 30ml bottles.

My initial wish was to find a box like this:

boxdivider.jpg

However, numerous phone calls and emails to local suppliers proved fruitless. It wasn't that they didn't stock a model with the correct size of compartments, it was that they couldn't even understand what I was talking about. Eventually I ended up emailing them pics like this so they could visualise what I wanted. They mailed back saying that not only did they not stock such items, they had never even heard of them and had no idea where I could source something like that. I guess it's one of those things that only the US or China are advanced enough to conceptualise, design and manufacture.

I found some on Alibaba but balked at having to import a cardboard box from China. That is like having to import bread from Iceland or toilet paper from Argentina. It is the type of item that one really should be able to source locally in a country of South Africa's size.

My initial wish was to find a box like this:

View attachment 130999

However, numerous phone calls and emails to local suppliers proved fruitless. It wasn't that they didn't stock a model with the correct size of compartments, it was that they couldn't even understand what I was talking about. Eventually I ended up emailing them pics like this so they could visualise what I wanted. They mailed back saying that not only did they not stock such items, they had never even heard of them and had no idea where I could source something like that. I guess it's one of those things that only the US or China are advanced enough to conceptualise, design and manufacture.

I found some on Alibaba but balked at having to import a cardboard box from China. That is like having to import bread from Iceland or toilet paper from Argentina. It is the type of item that one really should be able to source locally in a country of South Africa's size.
The one issue i see with these type is that, you wouldn't be able to see the labels.
I made up something similar to @Bulldog with the rubber bands, but didint leave spaces in between and its a pain (cant believe i didnt think of that:facepalm:)
and i only have like 30 concentrates, lol

Google "Letterpress box". We use to use them for setting newspaper pages. Think the misses would like them as well. Antique

Google "Letterpress box". We use to use them for setting newspaper pages. Think the misses would like them as well. Antique

Wow, thats amazing @KUDU

Found this:

image.jpeg

@RichJB Have a look at boxesonline.co.za Die cut boxes

I think they were one of the suppliers I contacted. I looked through their products again now and see boxes in a massive range of dimensions and thicknesses - but nothing with compartment dividers in. It will be really tricky to find because, even if someone provides compartment dividers, they need to be the right size. I looked through a lot of seedling trays before finding one that fits 10ml concentrate bottles snugly.

I suppose it's an item that is only really used at manufacturer/distributor level rather than consumer level. If a company regularly ships products that need to be transported in compartment boxes, they probably have them custom-designed to their exact specifications. That is fine if you're ordering 100k boxes at a time. If you only want 10, suppliers suddenly lose interest. :p

Another option to look at is 3D printing. West Pack Lifestyle has literally dozens of plastic compartment containers like this:

plastictray.jpg

But they're all wrong. The compartments are too big or too small, the height is too short or too tall, you have to lay the bottles on their side in order to close the lid, etc. What I'm looking at is a basic tray that would look something like this, just larger and with more compartments:

rack.jpg

Which you could then stack in a tiered arrangement to end up with something like this:

stack.jpg

It doesn't need to have wheels, just a tiered system that sits on a desk or kitchen counter would be fine. You have trays that slide in and out, each tray has compartments so each bottle has its own slot. When you replace bottles after a mixing session, you can immediately see the empty compartment slot that the bottle came from and must be returned to. And no matter how much you bump or move the storage rack, the bottles all stay in their designated compartments, nothing shifts.

There are such systems but the chances of finding one with dimensions ideal for 10ml bottles are close to zero. No plastics company will ever make you one because it will cost them R200k just to design and prototype it. 3D printing might be an option but I imagine even that will be pricey.

The nail varnish display cases are OK. But honestly, at R250 for a display case that stores 40 bottles, I'd be spending R2500 for my current stash. I'll happily pay R300-500 for a plastic unit where each bottle has its own compartment that it slots into, and I can store several hundred bottles alphabetically. Once the cost starts getting into the thousands, the appeal drops off. I'd rather be spending that on flavours than flavour storage.

Dad made me one, just a trail one, will replace with one that fits the table

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-05-06 at 18.20.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-05-06 at 18.20.47.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 44
Back