Cotton

Jean claude Vaaldamme

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
Ok so my first ever trip to a vapeshop they sold me this packet Coil buster cotton for 100bob. It has the big flat pads of cotton inside. I rewick about every 2-3 days and now after almost 4 months Im not even close to halfway through the packet. So it will probably last a year or more, bargain.
Anyway, so since its going to work out so cheap, I decided I can waste a bit. So so instead of cutting a small piece and taking the "skin" off, I pick small strands/pieces off and make a little heap of fluffy cotton. I then take this little heap of fluffy cotton and make a wick from it that looks the same as these other more expensive stuff.
Done it now a few times and huge difference in flavour.
So I wonder if the fancy cotton really has that much better type of cotton in it or or is it just the presentation/production that makes a difference.

Yes I have nothing to compare it to, never used anything else, was just wondering as I suddenly got this much better flavour out the same cotton

That's the beauty of the vaping journey as you discover products and ways that enhance flavour... it's a really fun journey!

Ok so my first ever trip to a vapeshop they sold me this packet Coil buster cotton for 100bob. It has the big flat pads of cotton inside. I rewick about every 2-3 days and now after almost 4 months Im not even close to halfway through the packet. So it will probably last a year or more, bargain.
Anyway, so since its going to work out so cheap, I decided I can waste a bit. So so instead of cutting a small piece and taking the "skin" off, I pick small strands/pieces off and make a little heap of fluffy cotton. I then take this little heap of fluffy cotton and make a wick from it that looks the same as these other more expensive stuff.
Done it now a few times and huge difference in flavour.
So I wonder if the fancy cotton really has that much better type of cotton in it or or is it just the presentation/production that makes a difference.

Cotton makes a difference. Where cotton bacon missed some flavor notes, Kendo Gold(New version) hits all of them.

Keen to try titanium fiber cotton, hear it is good.

20190207_191522.jpg Hi @Jean claude Vaaldamme I also have tried few different types of cotton and you do get different flavours from each cotton type and I will keep on trying new cotton when it comes out( That is the fun part of vaping for me ,to try new things)

But once again cotton for me is like vape juice some work for you and some don't. One person might like it and the next person might hate it. So if your cotton works for you stick with it. That is what I do.

I agree with your "what works for you" approach.

I have tried many types of cotton over the years and ended up mostly using Cotton Bacon.

I recently followed the hype surrounding Titanium Fiber (Sic) Cotton. I have been using it for two weeks and to be honest I don't particularly like it or hate it. IMHO it is not better or worse than Cotton Bacon.

I agree with your "what works for you" approach.

I have tried many types of cotton over the years and ended up mostly using Cotton Bacon.

I recently followed the hype surrounding Titanium Fiber (Sic) Cotton. I have been using it for two weeks and to be honest I don't particularly like it or hate it. IMHO it is not better or worse than Cotton Bacon.
The only difference for me is I find TFC easier to work with and waste a bit less than cotton bacon.

Flavour wise they on par for me.

I don't know the answer to your question @Jean claude Vaaldamme - ie whether the other cottons are actually different in the material itself or just the presentation.

I do however think that as with most materials you get different grades and also different ways of manufacturing it.

And some wicking materials have a mix of different materials. I think there was one recently at Sir Vape that blends two types. Can't recall exactly.

I have noticed slightly different tastes on some of the wicks I have tried. And some seem to work better for me on certain flavours. For me Rayon works very well on the fruity menthols at low power. Seems more crisp. And I like CB2 or even the old Jap cotton pads for tobaccoes - they seem to bring out the earthy taste.

Still have a few of the newer ones to try. Nice thing is that a little bag of this cotton is not very expensive and does last long.

And some wicking materials have a mix of different materials. I think there was one recently at Sir Vape that blends two types. Can't recall exactly.
Fiber n' Cotton - a mix of cellulose (rayon) and cotton. Loving it, brings out the whole range of flavour notes in a juice.

Personally, of all the cotton I've tried, I prefer Cotton Bacon Prime. Reason is there is no break in time, no funny taste and it absorbs juice so fast, ideal for squonk mods.

Fiber n' Cotton - a mix of cellulose (rayon) and cotton. Loving it, brings out the whole range of flavour notes in a juice.
Mr Fluff Wick and Puff is also a mix of Rayon and Cotton. Also comes in a "string" so almost no wastage.

I feel like im never on the same bus as everyone, but JCVD! haha, anyway, im on my second bag of cotton (CB) since a year, and when the flavor goes down, I sweat, and rewick, bam, all is good. Ill try JCVD's method of splitting and fluffing for wicking, and maybe ill also have better flavor! flavor I think is held in the juice, and the cotton is a means to get it to the coils. So perhaps with different wire, different cotton arrangements would work differently.

Only got it about an hour ago.

I’ll rewick the bb and a dripper later on and let you know.

But you know the sales guys, “best cotton ever ever ever, you gonna love it”
Rewicked the bb and the goon with this new fancy schmancy TFC elite.

So far it’s lekker in the goon. Not sure if the flavour is better but holy cr@p there is a LOT of cotton in that tin. Waaaaay more than the OG so that’s a plus straight away.

Will give the bb a go just now and let you know @CMMACKEM

Rewicked the bb and the goon with this new fancy schmancy TFC elite.

So far it’s lekker in the goon. Not sure if the flavour is better but holy cr@p there is a LOT of cotton in that tin. Waaaaay more than the OG so that’s a plus straight away.

Will give the bb a go just now and let you know @CMMACKEM
Less is more with elite. The cotton strand I split into 3 for 3mm ID coils and it works beautifully.

If you overwick with TFC elite you will get an off cotton taste which is the burning cotton.

Less is more with elite. The cotton strand I split into 3 for 3mm ID coils and it works beautifully.

If you overwick with TFC elite you will get an off cotton taste which is the burning cotton.
I think you got me here. I have a horrible feeling I used too much in the Exocet, hence I haven’t tried it yet.

I think I can spilt the piece into 4 to use in 2.5mm coils.

I sense a rewick in my future

I think you got me here. I have a horrible feeling I used too much in the Exocet, hence I haven’t tried it yet.

I put on my brave face and gave it a go. Flavour is there ish but no bubbles after taking a loooong drag so I’ll rewick tomorrow at work (might as well make work on a Saturday worthwhile) and use a bit less.

Should be fine after that.

Perhaps into 3 but not 4 unless it needs to be wicked very loosely. I split it in two for 3mm coils.

Perhaps into 3 but not 4 unless it needs to be wicked very loosely. I split it in two for 3mm coils.
I normally sick the Exocet loosely and it’s all good.

Let’s see what happens just now :)

I have used TFC elite and get a pretty heavy cotton flavour from it. Hoping to try some mavaton X if I find a local vendor stocking it. I'll stay with CBV2 for now.

Back