Court case against govt. re tobacco ban

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opi...-addict/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot#gsc.tab=0 SO on this topic a more thorough discussion of the weaknesses in Fita's argument. Also written by a vaper.
I liked one of the commenter saying this:
Nowhere in the world has it been shown that smoking increases the risk of Covid-19 infection. In fact the facts argue just the reverse.At least 28 studies across a range of countries have found fewer smokers among Covid-19 hospital cases than in the general population. Chinese studies covering almost 6,000 Covid-19 hospital admissions, which showed that while smokers make up 26% of the Chinese population, only 6.5% of Covid-19 hospital admissions smoked.Similar figures were found when the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) looked at 7,000 Covid-19 cases early in the pandemic. The centre found that only 1.3% of those hospitalised with the virus were smokers, while 14% of all Americans regularly use tobacco products.Other researchers have subsequently reported similar findings. A study of Covid-19 cases in a Paris hospital suggested that smokers are 78% less likely to “have an adverse outcome” from the disease. Another recent meta-analysis found that smokers are 82% less likely to be hospitalised with Covid-19 in the first place.Bottom line, if you’re a smoker your chances of getting and/or surviving Covid-19 are better than those of a non-smoker.

....Aaaand leave to appeal was declined. Fita now approaching the SCA directly.

With luck this should be finalised before the end of 2025.

In between this and a peaceful protest by tourism operators being dispersed with water cannons and stun grenades, the South African security and justice sectors aren't living up to their job descriptions today.

....Aaaand leave to appeal was declined. Fita now approaching the SCA directly.

With luck this should be finalised before the end of 2025.

In between this and a peaceful protest by tourism operators being dispersed with water cannons and stun grenades, the South African security and justice sectors aren't living up to their job descriptions today.

SA has gone to the dogs. There is no law and order to speak of, unless you're a taxi driver with the masses behind you.

What if this tobacco case was set up to fail.
Think about it.
FITA are the same crowd whose smokes are flooding the illicit market.
Normally they don't sell in SA because they are for export market only.
FITA sets up a poor case that's destined to fail.
That will also cause the BAT case to drag out.
FITA still a winner either way.
When cigs become legal again, FITA becomes a legal player. There cigs are usually cheap. So even with sin tax it might legally be 50 bucks a pack. People are used to paying that because of lockdown. So they keep buying it.

Friday conspiracy theory

BAT case up for tomorrow in the Cape Division High Court and today the SCA approved Fita's request for an urgent appeal application. Government to respond by Friday, answering affidavit from Fita by Tuesday in need.

Has the worm finally turned?

The tobacco industry to me has been so sluggish in my opinion. Think they had useless legal representation as well. To me it's as if they abandoned their customers / consumers. Just my thoughts and sentiments.

The tobacco industry to me has been so sluggish in my opinion. Think they had useless legal representation as well. To me it's as if they abandoned their customers / consumers. Just my thoughts and sentiments.
Fitas case was useless and doomed to fail, I didn't have hope for them. Batsa is much stronger IMO

Or they've kept large customers and avoided tax and excise.

Was reading some stats last night.
Exports of cigs to Namibia Swaziland and Zim from SA has skyrocketed. Even Mali. And yet there's a shortage of smokes in Namibia.

So they are being manufactured here and declared as export but staying local. Or exported and then smuggled back in.

Practically every usual local brand is available here. But at very premium pricing.

Tobacco is a calculated dirty game, worldwide.as

Back