Custom IPV D2

skola

Flavour Chaser
LV

Awards
Happy Monday Ecigssa, hope you had a lovely weekend..

So... I acquired an IPV D2 from a work colleague who pretty much destroyed the looks of the mod. He stripped the black paint off but didn't do a good job of it. I thought it would be a great project to re-store it and give it some new life.
I decided not to go the normal route and simply re spray it with a new colour. I'm a real big fan of patina finishes and I thought why not give it a shot. After some research I was quite disappointed to learn that patina does not take to aluminium, which is what I believe the IPV D2 is made of.

The kind sir at Patina Vapes SA pointed me in the direction of Alcohol Ink finishes. I recall seeing a post by the very talented @Genosmate regarding an alcohol ink finish he did on one of his reo doors. A quick PM to @Genosmate asking for some guidance and he was kind enough to share his knowledge on the matter.

Anyways.. here's the process.

IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0043.JPG
Dismantled the mod by unscrewing the two screws under the battery cover.
Gave the mod a good sand down from 240 GRIT sandpaper to 600 GRIT. Then wet sanded with 1000 GRIT to 1500 GRIT on the center portion and buttons of the mod as I wanted to give that area a chrome finish.

IMG_0133.jpg
Used autosol and a micro fibre cloth to give it a good shine.. Not entirely happy with the finish. Want to try a compound and polishing wheel that @Genosmate advised in another thread.
I will definitely need to give it a clear coat to maintain the finish.

IMG_0134.jpg IMG_0136.jpg IMG_0135.jpg

The door area is where I wanted to create the Patina finish. I used three colours of alcohol ink, Aqua, Butterscotch and Rust to get the finish. Applied the ink with a sponge applicator and applied a flame to the wet ink which brings out different dimensions of a colour and blends the colours in quite nicely. Thanks again @Genosmate for the advice!!
First few attempts at this was a complete fail.
The finish still needs to be sealed.

IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0137.jpg

I'm quite happy with the results.. Hope I can keep it in this condition. Now all I need is a leather case for the mod..
Sorry for the long post :D

That looks brilliant! Definitely gonna steal your idea and do it to my scratched eVic.

Wow man that is just awesome!! Well done!! Thanks for sharing the info too.

That looks brilliant! Definitely gonna steal your idea and do it to my scratched eVic.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
@Pixstar, we can customize the door of your D2 next ;-) check out @kalied.custom.designs on instagram.. Overseas guy that sells custom D2's.. some nice finishes..

IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0146.JPG

@Cave Johnson what material is the evic made from?

@skola Just looking at the @kalied.custom.designs pics you sent, your pattern actually looks even better!
What time should I drop my D2 off with you? Same spot? :p:D
Thanks bud, he's got some cool finishes as well though.
Hahaha, I wouldn't say no to a free cup of coffee :D

WOW @skola this looks epic man, Great work. The chrome finish is awesome. I can safely say you mod looks way better then any of those other ones posts. That chrome does it!!!

@skola, I'm sending you a bag of coffee beans

Only premium roasted beans hey!!

WOW @skola this looks epic man, Great work. The chrome finish is awesome. I can safely say you mod looks way better then any of those other ones posts. That chrome does it!!!

Thanks bru, I appreciate the kind words. The chrome definitely pops the colours of the patina finish. I was actually forced to chrome it because of the state that it was in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back