Custom IPV D2

@skola..

How do I get my ipvd2 on your next to do list...
I can bring coffee beans and biscuits

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Happy Monday Ecigssa, hope you had a lovely weekend..

So... I acquired an IPV D2 from a work colleague who pretty much destroyed the looks of the mod. He stripped the black paint off but didn't do a good job of it. I thought it would be a great project to re-store it and give it some new life.
I decided not to go the normal route and simply re spray it with a new colour. I'm a real big fan of patina finishes and I thought why not give it a shot. After some research I was quite disappointed to learn that patina does not take to aluminium, which is what I believe the IPV D2 is made of.

The kind sir at Patina Vapes SA pointed me in the direction of Alcohol Ink finishes. I recall seeing a post by the very talented @Genosmate regarding an alcohol ink finish he did on one of his reo doors. A quick PM to @Genosmate asking for some guidance and he was kind enough to share his knowledge on the matter.

Anyways.. here's the process.

View attachment 38767 View attachment 38768
Dismantled the mod by unscrewing the two screws under the battery cover.
Gave the mod a good sand down from 240 GRIT sandpaper to 600 GRIT. Then wet sanded with 1000 GRIT to 1500 GRIT on the center portion and buttons of the mod as I wanted to give that area a chrome finish.

View attachment 38769
Used autosol and a micro fibre cloth to give it a good shine.. Not entirely happy with the finish. Want to try a compound and polishing wheel that @Genosmate advised in another thread.
I will definitely need to give it a clear coat to maintain the finish.

View attachment 38770 View attachment 38771 View attachment 38772

The door area is where I wanted to create the Patina finish. I used three colours of alcohol ink, Aqua, Butterscotch and Rust to get the finish. Applied the ink with a sponge applicator and applied a flame to the wet ink which brings out different dimensions of a colour and blends the colours in quite nicely. Thanks again @Genosmate for the advice!!
First few attempts at this was a complete fail.
The finish still needs to be sealed.

View attachment 38773
View attachment 38774

I'm quite happy with the results.. Hope I can keep it in this condition. Now all I need is a leather case for the mod..
Sorry for the long post :D
WOW!

@skola..

How do I get my ipvd2 on your next to do list...
I can bring coffee beans and biscuits

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
That, and some moola :p haha..
But seriously, it's easy peasy.. you'll definitely be able to do it...

Wow, @skola, that is amazing!
Only saw this now
Great job you did

@skola, if you manage to come to the vape meet, please bring your mod along - would love to see it

Perhaps a matt clear sealer will be better than a shiny one?
I actually want it to have a gloss.. because of the aqua colour.. with the depth of the colours i imagine the gloss to bring it out more, don't you think?

I actually want it to have a gloss.. because of the aqua colour.. with the depth of the colours i imagine the gloss to bring it out more, don't you think?

It'd be tits with a deep gloss finish.
I was looking for a durable finish for a portable headphone amp and was recommended Heritage Liquid Glass, its a 2part epoxy, got it at Builders Warehouse but cant remember how much it was.
10112015213.jpg

It'd be tits with a deep gloss finish.
I was looking for a durable finish for a portable headphone amp and was recommended Heritage Liquid Glass, its a 2part epoxy, got it at Builders Warehouse but cant remember how much it was.
View attachment 38909
Hey @blujeenz, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.. Just did a quick search and that's definitely the gloss finish I'm after. I wonder if it's water based. Anything else will wipe away the alcohol ink.

@skola I've read the instructions but it doesnt say, only that its impervious to water, alcohol and most other chemicals.
It can also be used on photographs, if thats any help. :)

@skola I've read the instructions but it doesnt say, only that its impervious to water, alcohol and most other chemicals.
It can also be used on photographs, if thats any help. :)
I'm a DIY noob but if it works of photographs I'm pretty sure it wouldn't wipe away the ink.. I think :D. Did you try it on your amp already?

Nope.
In my defense the electronics didnt play ball so I left the wooden battery housing that this was going to be used on. :)
Im seriously considering it for a wooden mod, but then again thats just plain wood.

Nope.
In my defense the electronics didnt play ball so I left the wooden battery housing that this was going to be used on. :)
Im seriously considering it for a wooden mod, but then again thats just plain wood.
Better safe then sorry. I watched a vid now on applying liquid glass to wood.. The finish is awesome!! So silky smooth and shiny.

Thanks @Silver. Don't know how i missed that post.
Our offices are just opposite the NewsCafe.. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it tho, it's my birthday weekend!! :dance:

Ha!
Well hope you have a good one then
Maybe pop in for a birthday drink on me if you are able to ;-)

Back