Desire Rage 155W TC Squonk MOD

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Rage 155W TC Squonk MOD from Desire Design. The Rage 155W TC Squonk MOD was supplied for the purpose of this review by Kristina from Desire Design.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/48.html

Introduction

The Rage 155w squonk TC Mod is a collaboration between Desire Design and Ohm Boy OC and the first of 2 squonk devices that Desire Design have sent me. I decided to use this one first because I've heard good things about it but also know there was an issue around the fitting of the squonk bottle with the very first batch which is now claimed to be fixed, the one i received is version 2 (with fix) so let's see what i thought of the device.

In the Box

Contents:

1x Desire Rage 155W TC Squonk MOD
1x USB Cable
1x Manual
1x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Rage device arrived with outer TPD sleeve covering the main cardboard boxed packaging, and once opened was pleased to see the device had both protective covering and was tightly packed within the box so no chance of the device getting damaged during transit. I received the Brushed Bronze version, the Rage is also available in White, Red, Purple and Black and it looks stunning. The device has a unique shape with loads of curves and the finish is first class. Trying to describe the shape is not very easy so i will let the pictures do the talking and just point out the main features. On the front of the device we have the Desire Design logo etched deep into the metal towards the top, below is a tapered inwards cutout allowing the pressing of the squonk bottle. The back (which is the battery panel) and one side is featureless apart from an elongated notch on the side to help remove the panel. The other side of the device see's a round fire button towards the top and 2 smaller round navigational buttons toward the bottom, all these buttons are slightly recessed into the device with the centre sections curved outwards to slightly protrude. Underneath the navigational buttons is the micro USB port and the 0.69" screen is housed centrally. The bottom sees a disc shape with handle that can be pulled out from the device (more about this later), safety stamps and generous venting. Moving to the top of the device we have a Gold plated, spring loaded BF 510 and printed around the back of the top of the device we have the Ohm Boy logo. The device is not small, has it needs to house dual 18650 batteries and a squonk bottle but it's as small as such a device can be and i have plenty of far bigger devices. The build quality like the finish is first class but is very heavy so for those who don't like heavy mods this is not for you. Despite having small hands and needing to work out the best way to hold the device i actually found it very ergonomic as a thumb firer.

Rage Specs and Features:

Size: 82mm x 51mm x 41mm
Material: Zinc Alloy
Battery: Dual 18650 batteries(Not included)
Power range: 5-155W
Output voltage: 0.5-8V
Output current: 40A
Temperature range: 200-600°F
Resistance range: 0.08-3ohm
Screen: 0.69inch
Bottle capacity: 7ml
Multi-function adjust mode: VW/TC-NI/TC-TI/TC-SS/TCR/BYPASS
Screen: 0.69inch mounted OLED screen
Firmware upgradable
Thread: 510
Colours: Brushed Bronze, White, Red, Purple, Black

Fitting the Batteries

The Dual 18650 batteries are fitted via the back panel which can be removed with the help of a long notch down one side which you can easily get your fingernail into. The compartment is neat and tidy and because the panel goes quite a way around one side of the device you can very easily get your fingers around the batteries to remove them. Yet again battery orientation is Black on Black which i hate (please make this White in future). I was very impressed with how secure and snug the battery panel fits, i do know despite it only being minor there was up and down play with the first production run but the one on mine has zero movement.

The Squonk Bottle System on the Rage

This for me is where the Rage really shines, i have not come across a system of putting in and taking out the squonk bottle on a device done as well as it is with the Rage. On the base is a metal disc with a handle that can be pulled out, once the handle is pulled out simply pull on it downwards and the attached squonk bottle smoothly comes out of the device. Unscrew the top of the bottle (which has a tube on the underside) and pull out, fill your bottle then lower the tube back into the bottle and tighten the top. Now just by holding the handle on the disc (which is actually the base of the bottle) push the bottle back into the device (which is as smooth as removing it) and put the handle back down. There was an issue with the first batch where the o-rings that were fitted to seal the bottle inside the device were too thick which made it tight to pull out and push in and also caused the bottle to move down when fitting an atomizer, but this has completely been fixed on mine which is the newer version and it works like a dream. The only downside to the system is it's a proprietary bottle so you can't just fit another bottle i also think that the device should of included a second bottle preferably with a sealing cap so you can carry a spare full bottle around with you.

Using the Rage

The Rage is the normal 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on the screen is very bright so no issues with reading the information displayed on the screen while being outdoors. The screen is only 0.69 inch but all information is very easy to read due to the uncluttered layout as only the important information is displayed. To the left of the screen is the battery status icon, next to this at the top is the resistance and underneath the volts (this changes to watts plus wire type when in temp control). The rest of the screen displays your wattage that adjusts in 1w increments (when in temp control this section shows temperature). Pressing the Left and right keys together locks the resistance but i can't find any other key press combinations that work so i assume the left and right buttons can't be locked. The menu system is as simple as the screen layout and to enter it is 3 clicks of the fire button. You can now scroll through the various modes which are Work Mode Setting, Exit Menu and Hands Mode setting. Choosing Work Mode Setting brings up the following options, Power Mode, Ni TC Mode, Ti TC Mode, SS TC Mode, TCR TC Mode, Bypass Mode and exit. Choosing Power mode takes you straight to the main screen as the Rage has no Preheat or Curve features, choosing one of your temp control wires allows you to set the wattage for temp control (which allows for the full 155w) before going to your main screen (now in temp control). Hands Mode Setting allows you to pick between Right Mode or Left Mode which basically is just flipping the Screen, and that's it, a very easy device to navigate around.

My Experience Using the Device

Yet again i must say i do not do temp control (so if that's how you vape you will need to sort out more information) so no idea how it performs being used that way and i also don't have the equipment to get data on accuracy with both resistance and wattage but only review a device on how the performance felt for me. As you would expect the device fires instantly and hits the set wattage instantly. All wattage's i vaped at certainly seemed accurate and i would imagine the Rage will hit the 155w no problem, i wish more manufacturers will set maximum wattage correctly instead of going for wattages that are hit or miss on how close the device gets get to it. Despite only the very centre of the fire button protruding slightly it's very easy to find and nice and clicky, i found the device very comfortable to use as both a finger and thumb firer, using it has a thumb firer left my fingers in the perfect position to press the bottle. Despite it not being a small device i actually believe having quite small hands suit the ergonomics better because if i had big hands my fingers would be wrapped right around the device and not in a position to press the bottle. I also liked the fact the device adjusts in 1w increments and just overall how simple the device is to use. I suffered no leaking from the squonk bottle and the from the squonking side of things it works really well. On the downside there is no curves feature which is what i tend to use when available, no preheats to choose from and as far as i can find no way of locking the device. Any Atomizer over 25mm will overhang which needs mentioning but probably not an issue for most as most BF atomizers tend to be 24mm or 22mm in diameter. I don't know what the cutoff is on the device but the battery life seemed noticeably very good, finally the Rage is fully firmware upgradeable.

Pros

Great build quality
Very Solid
No rattles whatsoever
Ergonomics worked for me
Aesthetically pleasing
Not Under-powered (as far as i can tell)
Fires instantly (instant ramp up)
Seems accurate wattage
Adjusts in 1w increments
Temp control (not tested)
Wattage can be set up to the full 155w in temp control
Best squonk bottle system i have come across with a squonk device
The smallest dual battery squonk device i have used
Spring loaded BF 510
Very secure battery door
Very bright screen
Very easy menu system
Very good battery life
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Very heavy
No Curves
No preheat options
Can't lock the device (unless someone knows how to)
Proprietary squonk system
No spare bottle
Black on Black battery orientation
Over 25mm atomizers will overhang

I would once again like to thank Kristina from Desire Design for supplying the Rage 155W TC Squonk MOD for the purpose of this review.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/48.html

Back