Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl Or Acetion

Mauritz

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
As some of you know we made the manufacture of liquids free from all flavourants that contained diacetyl, acetyl propionyl or acetion or "custard and butter flavours". Diacetyl causes a medical condition known as popcorn lung ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiolitis_obliterans ). Common flavours that contain these chemicals are caramel , custard , cream , coconut and some coffees.

Most eliquid vendors use flavours that are diacetyl free however, acetoin is a common substitute that can in some cases break down to form diacetyl. Most eliquid manufacturers still use acetion in the preparation of their juices but a growing number of premium manufacturers are making the switch to only use "safe" ingredients.

While the risks associated with acetoin and acetyl propionyl are not currently clear we wanted to ensure that our liquids are as safe as possible for you our customers.

We would like to get your thoughts and feedback on this topic. Are you concerned about diacetyl, acetyl propionyl or acetion ?

From what I have read, I will avoid anything with diacetyl. I do vape some flavours containing the substitutes, but that is my choice. So long as it is clearly stated if the liquid contains acetoin/acetyl propionyl I am fine with it.

in my humble opinion... Nope, not too worried... i know that the minimal chemicals that may be "created" during vaping doesn't hold a candle to the gazillions of chemicals you get from smoking, so don't bother me at all :dance: :rock:

Nothing is completely safe, even your tap water could hurt you to death!

My general rule for vape juice is if it could crack a plastic tank I'm not inhaling it.

I havent taken the time to study up on these components @Mow@CraftVapour
So am not in a position to say how I feel on them specifically

However, it does add a feeling of comfort knowing that you guys have taken the precautions
So well done on that!

Thank you to those who have taken the moment to share their thoughts. We would love to get more views on this topic...

Last edited:
Safer just to say away untill some one does a medical study and we know for sure whats acceptable...

Why play russian roulette and wait for some thing bad to happen?

I avoid all the Diketone's like the plague
BTW Diacetly, Acetyl propionyl and Acetion are members of the Diketon family.

Last edited:
Disclaimer (only because of a flaming I recieved on another forum): The opinions expressed here are just that, my opinions. They are educated but in no way do I recommend anyone else adopt these opinions as their own without doing the groundwork to formulate your own opinions. I also will not entertain defending my opinions from brazen attacks as I am entitled to have them, even if you dont think they are right:D

@Mauritz I have to say that I am not overly concerned about the mentioned compounds. In the case of diacetyl it has never been shown beyond reasonable doubt to be the direct cause of popcorn lung. As a number of people in previous discussions on the topic have pointed out the war on diacetyl waged by popcorn factory workers was definitely fueled by social consciousness, economic gain and politics more than it was real science.
Secondly the conditions of exposure compared between vaping a little juice with diacetyl in it once in a while, and working in a factory from 8 till 5 everyday of the week when you are breathing in diacetyl all the time are somewhat different imo. As was the form of exposure, vapour compared to dry air.

In the case of acetoin and acetyl propionyl I currently am vaping a few juices that I know contain them. In no way am I terrified about the potential consequences from the chemical additives that we know about, and also know could potentially cause problems. What does scare me is the fact that the hysteria around these molecules in the vaping community is going to result in the invention of new molecules to achieve the same effect, molecules that will chemically behave the same but which we will have absolutely no idea about the risks associated to their use, or concentrations that minimise these risks. Further these new molecules wont be openly declared as being in juice. Anyone found a manufacturer that actually gives you the chemical names of their flavours?

So from me its a case of better the devil you know. At least if you know it you can moderate your intake and as safely as currently possible enjoy your creamy, caramel type vapes. Avoid diacetyl it seems the public jury has crushed its use, but the others I would use and just declare it in the contents. Also declare the concentration if possible.

Disclaimer (only because of a flaming I recieved on another forum): The opinions expressed here are just that, my opinions. They are educated but in no way do I recommend anyone else adopt these opinions as their own without doing the groundwork to formulate your own opinions. I also will not entertain defending my opinions from brazen attacks as I am entitled to have them, even if you dont think they are right:D

@Mauritz I have to say that I am not overly concerned about the mentioned compounds. In the case of diacetyl it has never been shown beyond reasonable doubt to be the direct cause of popcorn lung. As a number of people in previous discussions on the topic have pointed out the war on diacetyl waged by popcorn factory workers was definitely fueled by social consciousness, economic gain and politics more than it was real science.
Secondly the conditions of exposure compared between vaping a little juice with diacetyl in it once in a while, and working in a factory from 8 till 5 everyday of the week when you are breathing in diacetyl all the time are somewhat different imo. As was the form of exposure, vapour compared to dry air.

In the case of acetoin and acetyl propionyl I currently am vaping a few juices that I know contain them. In no way am I terrified about the potential consequences from the chemical additives that we know about, and also know could potentially cause problems. What does scare me is the fact that the hysteria around these molecules in the vaping community is going to result in the invention of new molecules to achieve the same effect, molecules that will chemically behave the same but which we will have absolutely no idea about the risks associated to their use, or concentrations that minimise these risks. Further these new molecules wont be openly declared as being in juice. Anyone found a manufacturer that actually gives you the chemical names of their flavours?

So from me its a case of better the devil you know. At least if you know it you can moderate your intake and as safely as currently possible enjoy your creamy, caramel type vapes. Avoid diacetyl it seems the public jury has crushed its use, but the others I would use and just declare it in the contents. Also declare the concentration if possible.
Could not have said it better, thanks for bringing some balance.

Yeah I smoked more than 40 stinkies a day for more than 20 years, was aware of the dangers, probably more than a million times more toxic than any form of vape ingredients. I am not fussed at all by all these articles. What I do know (my opinion) is it's way safer and far more enjoyable than stinkies.

I have to say in my personal opinion i will pretty much vape anything, I know i have juices that have the so called bad stuff in them but hey as others have said its better this than the 100++ chemicals in the analogs. As for our clients i feel it is their right as a consumer to make and informed on what they vape. Hence our transparency about the alcohol in some of our juices.

See @free3dom
I did learn something new today
its a old post AND a important post :nerd:

I wont rely to just incase :lipssealed:
But now I know what to look out for :dance:

;)

Custard and butter? ???

Anyone know if TFA Vanilla Custard has these ingredients?

Custard and butter? ???

Anyone know if TFA Vanilla Custard has these ingredients?
This from the TFA website:

Water soluble.

A rich, buttery custard flavor. stronger than our Bavarian Cream flavor.

*** Note: This flavor contains 'custard' ingredients: Acetoin (not a Diketone) & Acetylpropionyl.
The following link explains the frequent questions & concerns involving custard notes.
http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/flavorsworkshop/custard.html

Ingredients: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Propylene Glycol, water

Larger sizes available in our Bulk Sizes Category

Just a quick question...
Do these juices contain acetoin and acetyl propionyl?

Hi @phanatik ,

We have 11 flavours that do not contain these ingredients. We have 4 flavours that do contain Acetoin and Acetyl propionyl. For your convenience this is indicated in the description on the website and on the bottle label.

Regards,

Back