DIY JuiceCalculator by @HotRod19579

If you could make a double click on the keyword (on the right) populate the field that would be great.
Took me a while to figure out that I needed to enclose the keyword in parenthesis, only when the old programmer in me revealed its face did I get it right.

[edit] Also when I took note of your help text, but who reads that:D

@RichJB I know you don't track your concentrate stock but you mentioned that you want to consolidate your concentrates.

Yeah, I'll be doing mine mostly by feel. I know that I use a ton of Cap SC and VC, Cheesecake GC, Vienna Cream, Fuji, etc. I'm mostly looking to cut down the really off the wall stuff like FA Cardamom or TFA Molasses, etc. Although it will help knowing how many recipes I use each ingredient in.

If you could make a double click on the keyword (on the right) populate the field that would be great.
Took me a while to figure out that I needed to enclose the keyword in parenthesis, only when the old programmer in me revealed its face did I get it right.

[edit] Also when I took note of your help text, but who reads that:D

Good idea, next version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you @HotRod19579 for an awesome app. Since I discovered your calculator I haven't used another. This one just gives me everything I need.

This may be a bit of a big task, but would it be possible to create a database of the concentrates that are out there? So instead of manually adding each one a user could simply select the concentrates they have and then input the quantity. And if it could include their specific weights that'd be amazing!

And any chance of a mobile version in the future?

Thank you @HotRod19579 for an awesome app. Since I discovered your calculator I haven't used another. This one just gives me everything I need.

This may be a bit of a big task, but would it be possible to create a database of the concentrates that are out there? So instead of manually adding each one a user could simply select the concentrates they have and then input the quantity. And if it could include their specific weights that'd be amazing!

That's quite a big ask @Huffapuff. I would be very surprised if one person could get his hands on a total concentrate list

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just found something that I have obviously missed before.
Viewing your ingredients to see what is low and then add to shopping list is a little easier than this.
Looking at your recipe you can see how many mils are left in one of the columns.
Just right click on the ingredient and then select "add ingredient to shopping list"
There you go, easy as as that.
Hi @GregF . Even easier is to set reorder levels in the ingredient editor. As soon as stocks are low warnings flash and you can compile your shopping list by the click of a single button.

Regards

That's quite a big ask @Huffapuff. I would be very surprised if one person could get his hands on a total concentrate list

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It is a big ask! But definitely worth asking :wink: It's not impossible and I guess one could start with the more common concentrates and add from there.

Hi @HotRod19579, your calculator is great, but I'd like to report a big issue... After updating through the notification pop up yesterday, all my settings and recipe's are gone!

Not cool, didn't have backups so can't revert and did not expect an update to overwrite all my recipe's as I've updated in the past without issue.

There is something available that might help. Another user put together a list of recipes and ingredients and I provided the ability to import the items. There hasn't been any updates in several months but if you're interested...

Click the "Tools->Import recipes and ingredients from starter kit".

I would imagine that creating a spreadsheet with all of the big 5 - TFA, Cap, FW, FA, Inw - and the specific gravities for each wouldn't be too difficult. But would it import it and recognise as an ingredient list with the correct weights for each concentrate?

Last edited:

I prefer manually entering the ingredients. So many stuff that I will never use, and so many people name things in different formats, like they do on e-liquid-recipes.

One gripe I do have; as I read it, inventory is only subtracted when a recipe is printed. I never print recipes. Would be nice to have a "make-recipe" type button that shows which date it was last made if you click it, and then subtract from your inventory.

Hi @HotRod19579, your calculator is great, but I'd like to report a big issue... After updating through the notification pop up yesterday, all my settings and recipe's are gone!

Not cool, didn't have backups so can't revert and did not expect an update to overwrite all my recipe's as I've updated in the past without issue.
I am sure that your recipes and ingredients aren't gone, the calculator probably "forgot" the last opened juice file and didn't automatically open it.
You should have a .XML file where all of your ingredients and recipes were stored. You provided the name and it would have always displayed in the title bar of the recipe window as "File=yourFileName.xml". By default the calculator stores this in a subdirectory in your "My Documents". The default directory name is "My Documents\JuiceCalculator" or "My Documents\EJuiceCalculator". Again, by default that is the directory but you may have opted to choose another directory. See if you can find it there.

Also, you may want to tell Windows to search for "*.xml" but that might be a big list to search through.

Once you find it I would recommend that you turn on the backup feature. Go to "Tools->Options", select the "Backup Options" tab.

I prefer manually entering the ingredients. So many stuff that I will never use, and so many people name things in different formats, like they do on e-liquid-recipes.

One gripe I do have; as I read it, inventory is only subtracted when a recipe is printed. I never print recipes. Would be nice to have a "make-recipe" type button that shows which date it was last made if you click it, and then subtract from your inventory.
I might not be understanding; there is a "Make recipe" button and when clicked it does update the last made date and also reduces your inventory. The last made date for any recipe is always displayed on the main recipe page.

I might not be understanding; there is a "Make recipe" button and when clicked it does update the last made date and also reduces your inventory. The last made date for any recipe is always displayed on the main recipe page.

Thanks, guess I had a blonde moment

I am sure that your recipes and ingredients aren't gone, the calculator probably "forgot" the last opened juice file and didn't automatically open it.
You should have a .XML file where all of your ingredients and recipes were stored. You provided the name and it would have always displayed in the title bar of the recipe window as "File=yourFileName.xml". By default the calculator stores this in a subdirectory in your "My Documents". The default directory name is "My Documents\JuiceCalculator" or "My Documents\EJuiceCalculator". Again, by default that is the directory but you may have opted to choose another directory. See if you can find it there.

Also, you may want to tell Windows to search for "*.xml" but that might be a big list to search through.

Once you find it I would recommend that you turn on the backup feature. Go to "Tools->Options", select the "Backup Options" tab.

Phew what a relief...Sorted! Thanks @HotRod19579

I think that is what happened to me too some time ago. I solved it by rolling back my PC (Window 10) to its latest restore point, which fortunately was just an hour or two back. Now I am too afraid to try to update again. Maybe one should create a restore point before updating.

Ah, that help a lot, thank you. What does one do once you find that .xml file? Ah, @Effjh just answered that question. Now I am much more confident to do that update.

What I do to make sure that I always have a good copy of my juice file at a known location:

1. I have the calculator option turned on to make backup files and

2. I use "Microsoft OneDrive". If you setup the OneDrive application it will create a OneDrive directory on your PC which shows up in the Windows Explorer (on Windows 10) in the same pane that it shows Libraries, Documents, Music, etc.. OneDrive also synchronizes that directory to the cloud (your OneDrive account). I have multiple PCs and have OneDrive, using the same OneDrive account, on each of the PCs. My Juice file is automatically available on all of the PCs. If I update it on one PC the update synchronizes and is available on the other PCs.

Besides having backups from the calculator I always have the juice file on multiple PCs and if needed I can logon to my OneDrive account on the web and download a copy of the file. Note that Google Drive and Drop Box have similar capabilities. I just found OneDrive more convenient since it is integrated with the Windows 10 file explorer.

I see now that when you create a pre-blend concentrate you have the option to associate it with the pre-blend recipe.
So when you make the recipe it increases the value on hand in your ingredients.
Does anyone know (maybe I just cant find it) if there is a way to associate an existing pre-blend/flavor base with it's recipe or do I need to redo them all?

@Huffapuff, we could build, maintain and import ingredients from a file compiled on the forum by the members.

I clicked on that Import Excel function you showed and got an error which shut down the programme when I clicked on Create Template Spreadsheet. I wouldn't mind spending the time to compile an Excel spreadsheet that lists most of the top concentrates and their specific gravities. But I'm loath to do it if it will be in a format which the app doesn't recognise and can't use. @HotRod19579 if you (or anybody else) can provide instructions on how I would need to format the Excel spreadsheet such that the app imports and uses it correctly, I'll happily spend the time inputting the flavours.

Update successfully completed @HotRod19579. Was not even necessary to open that file.

Now @GregF I need a picture tutorial on how to do this: "7. Made a new field available for "Ingredient" type reports in the "Tools->Build/Generate custom report" window. You can now define a column with a value of {RecipeCount}. This will display how many recipes an ingredient is used in.". Please.

There is already a field which tells you how many recipes an ingredient is used in. Open up any ingredient file, look three lines above the Notes at the bottom. It will say something like "Ingredient is used in x recipes with an average percentage of y%". It then gives you a drop down box where you can see the recipes it's used in. Or do you need it to display in a report that shows all ingredients?

Back