E-cig Myth-busting

shucks, was so happy about reading all this until i got to the last one.
sorry but you can use marijuana in an ecig. ok you have to prepare it first, there are a few methods, basically you'll have to infuse either pg or vg with the weeds thc but it can and has been done. seems stoners are nothing if not veeeery creative
do you have experience to tell you that it works?.

Nope, but it has a large element of hogwash to it.
Basically talking about stuff the average joe cant see and then pushing the scare button.
In a compromised immune system you will experience illness as any HIV+ individual not on ARV meds can attest.
First on the scene is usually the good old common and garden variety colds and flu.
From my experience regards cigs, I used to get colds regularly, once I stopped smoking I no longer got colds of flu...ever.
Since I have started vaping in Oct 2015 I am still cold and flu free, therefore I call BS hogwash on that article.

ive actually been getting sick quite a bit lately. not saying that its eCig related. just saying.

So I stumbled upon this.... (well my wife actually threw this at me)
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...s-dont/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Anybody seen this article before?

I just read that article and it seems pretty scary actually however in all honesty I haven't felt healthier than I am currently while smoking. I actually felt sh!t while smoking always getting sick etc - so the question is who sponsored this research? Maybe it was BAT... #JustSaying

Also sheesh this is one helaofa thread thanks @Alex.

ive actually been getting sick quite a bit lately. not saying that its eCig related. just saying.
maybe you like RIP and have a PG allergy <-- get some Ultima dude that stuff works and fixes everything

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...s-dont/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Does anyone else smell something fishy, or am I just parked a bit too close to that I & J truck ?

They have done studies but not really published any of the findings yet as far as we know, just 'revealed' the results at a large conference. Wonder if they need more 'funding' to play with some more mucus ?
They seem to fail to actually notice that cigarette smokers mostly inhale and exhale via the mouth, where vapers tend to inhale via the mouth and then exhale through the mouth AND nose for enhanced flavor. Perhaps this 'direct' contact with the nasal mucus makes this more detectable in vapers vs. smokers, seeing that this is primarily where their swabs came from.
As I have it, cigarette smoke also contains diacetyl and does so in larger quantities than most of the e-juices, so not sure why this is once again highlighted as a 'vaping only' risk for popcorn lung. They seem to miss that more and more juices are also reworked or phased out to NOT make use of any flavorings that produces this, despite the lower risks.

I suppose we will only really know after decades of vaping and lots more studies. I do know that I feel much better than I ever did on ciggies, and I'd much rather chance to pick up a passing bug that's going round than know for sure that my chances of getting cancer or emphysema from smoking is almost a given.

Nope but that article smells of propaganda...How is it that everyone I know has been healthier since quitting cigs and started vaping,by their own admission.Unfortunately most non-vapers who read the article will take what is said as fact.It disgusts me that tobacco companies would support this kind of 'research' but then again,money is the root of all evil,right?

Nope but that article smells of propaganda...How is it that everyone I know has been healthier since quitting cigs and started vaping,by their own admission.Unfortunately most non-vapers who read the article will take what is said as fact.It disgusts me that tobacco companies would support this kind of 'research' but then again,money is the root of all evil,right?
wait until the media get's wind of this - it is headline news. They will take one of the most crazy sentences in that report, and use it in the headline without the context of that sentence. Mark my words it is going to happen.

I honestly think it was one of the big tobacco companies that sponsored that research, which makes there findings obviously in favor of analogs.

These articles piss me off to no avail. All my hard Vape-Evangelism work gets thrown down the toilet when drivvle like this comes out.
Can already see the analogue users using this to justify why their toxins are better than vaping :-@

source
Ecig Myth-busting

It's mind boggling that a device that has improved the lives of millions of people has been subject to so much misinformation and suspicion.

Or maybe it isn't so surprising. After all, e-cigarettes pose a threat to the status quo of the tobacco and pharmaceutical industry, plus government coffers.
The following are some of the more common myths and misinformation concerning electronic cigarettes

Myth: There hasn't been enough research done on ecigarettes

Plenty of research has been done; and plenty more is currently being undertaken.
-----
Myth: Ecigs are a gateway to smoking

This has never been demonstrated to be a major issue in any study. Stating this is a little like saying eating pizza is a gateway to eating dog poop. Read more about the "gateway" myth.
----
Myth : There is no evidence ecigs help people give up smoking

Again, evidence shows otherwise. For example, results published in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine revealed 31.0% of respondents who used ecigs were still not smoking cigarettes after 6 months. Read more.
---
Myth: Ecigs cause cancer

There has been no scientific research published to back this. Electronic cigarette vapors contain only minute traces of carcinogenic materials (as do nicotine chewing gum and patches) and far fewer carcinogens than tobacco cigarettes. Nicotine is not a carcinogen.
---
Myth: Ecig glycerol causes lipoid pneumonia

This myth has surfaced a few times. However, the glycerol used in eliquids cannot cause lipoid pneumonia as it is not an oil. Glycerol is an alcohol (not the type that intoxicates), not a lipid. The UK government's Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) stated in June 2013 it is not aware of any other cases of lipoid pneumonia associated with propylene glycol or glycerine products.
---
Myth : Vaping Normalises Smoking

How can it when it isn't smoking? There is no smoke. The vapor doesn't smell like smoke and increasingly, the devices have little resemblance to a cigarette; particularly 2nd and 3rd generation devices.
----
Myth: Ecigs have many side effects

Anything new introduced to the body has the potential to cause side effects or result in an allergic reaction. Bear in mind people have allergic reactions to all sorts of substances, including peanut butter. Also, some of the issues people experience when switching to e-cigarettes may be attributed to the body adjusting after ceasing smoking tobacco. Read more about vaping side effects.
---
Myth: Ecigs are illegal in <country>.

More often than not, this is rubbish. Electronic cigarettes are not illegal in Australia, Canada, the USA, UK and many other countries, assuming they are purchased by an adult. Where there can be some issues is in relation to selling or obtaining nicotine eliquids or devices containing nicotine.
----
Myth: Ecig liquids contain toxic anti-freeze

All sorts of substances are used for anti-freeze, including ethylene glycol; which is extremely toxic. However, this is not the substance used in eliquids. Liquids used in ecigs may contain propylene glycol; which is used in foods and medications and is generally recognised as safe (GRAS).
-----
Myth: Ecigs damage lungs

This myth was triggered by the results of a report in 2012 based on a study where ecigs were found to cause increased airway resistance. The study was reportedly flawed and the media further amplified and exaggerated the findings, which Dr. Michael Siegel, a Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health has challenged.
----
Myth : Electronic cigarettes explosions are common

Good quality electronic cigarettes will not explode or catch fire, assuming the user follows the instructions related to charging. Good quality units are built in such a way to minimise risk of battery fire (venting) or explosion, even when misused.
The simple fact is that all lithium battery based devices have the potential to explode - and this includes cell phones.
----
Myth: Passive vaping is dangerous

Some claim nicotine and carcinogens can be inhaled by bystanders. Research published by Dr Murray Laugesen, New Zealand’s most experienced researcher on smoking policy and cigarettes, states ecig vapor "does not contain any substance known to cause death, short or long term, in the quantities found."
-----
Myth: Many teens are getting hooked on e-cigarettes

This myth was started based on a study of teenage ecigarette use. What those perpetuating this myth often fail to mention is the vast majority of the teens using ecigarettes were already smokers; i.e. they were "hooked" on tobacco first.
------
Myth: Ecigs Can Be Used For Marijuana

Anyone trying to use marijuana with an electronic cigarette designed for nicotine liquids will get a nasty surprise - they simply will not work.

@Alex Thanks for this post. It added a bit more confidence to my vaping psyche. I am convinced that the big cigarette companies are trying to discredit vaping as it poses a substantial threat to the cigarette industry. However, the cigarette companies should not be worried as vaping is much more expensive than cigarette smoking. Therefore the "masses" will still continue to smoke "cheap" cigarettes as vaping is, for many, not affordable.

do you have experience to tell you that it works?.
Google Bad Kat's Canna Pharm. Scroll down to the e-liquid tutorial.

EDIT: I just read it and she says it works but it takes like 4 weeks. Looks like the same process as steeping. So there we have it. Possible but a mission.

My 2 cents on it is PLEASE DONT **** UP SOMETHING GREAT BY PUTTING WEED IN E LIQUID. Now THAT is a rumour nobody needs.

Last edited:
Have to agree with @ET on this one. I met a guy who sells devices for that exact purpose. Granted his been deleted off my Contact list and I will never trust anything be sells now. But those devices do exist

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Dry herb vaporizers. They are not e-cigs at all. I Saw them at work in a documentary on weed. Weird things. Most of the ones in the show fill up a plastic bag and you suck on a nozzle on the bag. Part of the medical weed movement because sick people dont want smoke. The doccie showed a lady in a wheelchair with no ability to even hold the bag herself so the vapour just gets blown over her face by other people. Absolutely nothing even similar to our devices or community.

I understand the hate from the tobacco companies, but really don't get all hate from government authorities. They are banning vaping left right and centre, without any concrete information on why. What is up here ?

"The legal status of e-cigarettes is currently pending in many countries. Some countries such as Brazil, Singapore, the Seychelles, and Uruguay have banned e-cigarettes.In Canada, they are technically illegal to sell, as no nicotine-containing e-fluid is approved by Health Canada, but this is generally unenforced and they are commonly available for sale Canada-wide. In the United Kingdom, the use and sale of e-cigarettes are legal. In the US, the use and sale of e-cigarettes are legal."

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_of_electronic_cigarettes

I understand the hate from the tobacco companies, but really don't get all hate from government authorities. They are banning vaping left right and centre, without any concrete information on why. What is up here ?

"The legal status of e-cigarettes is currently pending in many countries. Some countries such as Brazil, Singapore, the Seychelles, and Uruguay have banned e-cigarettes.In Canada, they are technically illegal to sell, as no nicotine-containing e-fluid is approved by Health Canada, but this is generally unenforced and they are commonly available for sale Canada-wide. In the United Kingdom, the use and sale of e-cigarettes are legal. In the US, the use and sale of e-cigarettes are legal."

Reduces the income they receive from tax levies they impose on cigarettes if they lose all the smokers to ecigs

Sent from my Note 4

I think it's quite complex @WARMACHINE
And naturally it differs from country to country
One has to look at all the stakeholders. Big pharma included
And one needs to understand the flow of money in the entire chain
And factor in the political backdrop in each.

Am just hoping that more countries in the world will see it the way the UK seems to sees it (ours included).

Reduces the income they receive from tax levies they impose on cigarettes if they lose all the smokers to ecigs

Sent from my Note 4
I would agree, but the huge cost burden that tobacco related illness contribute to a country's health budget is massive, and far out weighs the taxes collected. It seems a dumb way to go about, but then we are talking politicians, not the brightest crayons in the box

I think it's quite complex @WARMACHINE
And naturally it differs from country to country
One has to look at all the stakeholders. Big pharma included
And one needs to understand the flow of money in the entire chain
And factor in the political backdrop in each.

Am just hoping that more countries in the world will see it the way the UK seems to sees it (ours included).
Yeah, it is totally insane. Start prohibiting the real "crack cocaine"of the world - SUGAR. This kills more people than any other substance on the earth, but you don't see any meaningful legislation to curb the carnage.

I would agree, but the huge cost burden that tobacco related illness contribute to a country's health budget is massive, and far out weighs the taxes collected.

Therein lies the answer
However I dont believe that we know the numbers behind that
And dont forget that Big Pharma makes billions treating smoking related illnesses - and they pay taxes too
And there are long standing relationships between all these stakeholders and government that go back decades - and it differs by country.

You are right though!

Vaping for the win

I would agree, but the huge cost burden that tobacco related illness contribute to a country's health budget is massive, and far out weighs the taxes collected. It seems a dumb way to go about, but then we are talking politicians, not the brightest crayons in the box
Yup. Where politicians are concerned all reason and common sense flies right out the window.

Never abt the country but rather how they can line their own pockets

Sent from my Note 4

It is way more profitable to treat a disease than to cure it. Big pharma will lose billions if all smokers quit.

It is way more profitable to treat a disease than to cure it. Big pharma will lose billions if all smokers quit.

It's coming. UK government saying a million people gave up cigarettes due to e-cigs. That is alot of people - 1,5% of their entire population.

Back