E-cig Myth-busting

Good evening all.

I came across the following post : https://www.irishpost.com/life-styl...9xwpvpttfCScPe-kmkxUTe6DVqkwacO4cDAw3ytxLP9pM talking about lung inflammation and in turn the mentioned post links to a study posted in American Journal of Physiology-Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology: https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajplung.00389.2017

Now it's a long read with a lot of technical jargon and if one (or more :)) of the clever people can layman it a bit it would be appreciated.

Good evening all.

I came across the following post : https://www.irishpost.com/life-styl...9xwpvpttfCScPe-kmkxUTe6DVqkwacO4cDAw3ytxLP9pM talking about lung inflammation and in turn the mentioned post links to a study posted in American Journal of Physiology-Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology: https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajplung.00389.2017

Now it's a long read with a lot of technical jargon and if one (or more :)) of the clever people can layman it a bit it would be appreciated.

What I get from this is, mice really shouldn't vape.

I saw that Irishpost article before. And it didn't make sense. They say the mice developed inflammation after a few days to 4 weeks of periodic vapour exposure. But I had a checkup 6 months after I started vaping and the doctor gave me the all clear. And not just me. Some guys on the forum has been vaping constantly for over 6 years. Now where is our inflammation?

I don't think it's inflammation that you would notice. Shampooing your hair probably causes mild inflammation in the hair roots or scalp. You're not going to feel anything but if they examined cells in your scalp at a micro level, it may show indicators of inflammation.

It just seems to be saying that vapour isn't harmless, that it causes mild inflammation of the lungs, increased mucus production, less efficient airway mechanics and other physiological reactions that can be expected any time anything but air is inhaled. The effects are present using only VG and PG, but become worse with the addition of flavouring. Nic doesn't seem to have a dramatic effect. Depending on which variable they were testing, nicotine made it slightly worse, slightly better or made no difference. Overall, the effects aren't as bad as cigarette smoke.

In short, pretty much what we know already: our lungs function best when we only breathe in fresh air, not quite as well when we inhale vapour, worst of all when we inhale smoke. That syncs with what I've felt personally. I feel waaaaaaaay better than I did when smoking. But if I go without vaping for four or five hours, as I often do, I feel I'm breathing a little easier than if I vape heavily during the same period.

I don't think it's inflammation that you would notice. Shampooing your hair probably causes mild inflammation in the hair roots or scalp. You're not going to feel anything but if they examined cells in your scalp at a micro level, it may show indicators of inflammation.

It just seems to be saying that vapour isn't harmless, that it causes mild inflammation of the lungs, increased mucus production, less efficient airway mechanics and other physiological reactions that can be expected any time anything but air is inhaled. The effects are present using only VG and PG, but become worse with the addition of flavouring. Nic doesn't seem to have a dramatic effect. Depending on which variable they were testing, nicotine made it slightly worse, slightly better or made no difference. Overall, the effects aren't as bad as cigarette smoke.

In short, pretty much what we know already: our lungs function best when we only breathe in fresh air, not quite as well when we inhale vapour, worst of all when we inhale smoke. That syncs with what I've felt personally. I feel waaaaaaaay better than I did when smoking. But if I go without vaping for four or five hours, as I often do, I feel I'm breathing a little easier than if I vape heavily during the same period.
This is really well explained and objective. Thanks for the feedback!

Ok Im a new vaper, but an old smoker. Something that always puzzled me. It all starts with the name. Vape. I assume its for vapor? And most vapors will tell you tjey just inhaling vapor
Now here is my question, all the juice I ever handled feels like oil. If you put oil on something hot, you get smoke, not vapor?

You've got a point! Actually, Vape Juice SA calls their juice "nicotine oil"

Vape Juice SA_Coffee.jpg

shucks, was so happy about reading all this until i got to the last one.
sorry but you can use marijuana in an ecig. ok you have to prepare it first, there are a few methods, basically you'll have to infuse either pg or vg with the weeds thc but it can and has been done. seems stoners are nothing if not veeeery creative
Well, true, and creativity and curiosity are definitely a good thing if tempered with some wisdom. But a shorter route would just be to get the right vaporizer, or tank. Sadly I have looked and for South Africa currently, you need to import a tank, unless someone knows where I can buy one locally? Because the standalone BKL I have is awesome, but I would love to have a herbal vaporizer tank that can work with my 510 mod thread, and would prefer supporting local business before I import.

Well, true, and creativity and curiosity are definitely a good thing if tempered with some wisdom. But a shorter route would just be to get the right vaporizer, or tank. Sadly I have looked and for South Africa currently, you need to import a tank, unless someone knows where I can buy one locally? Because the standalone BKL I have is awesome, but I would love to have a herbal vaporizer tank that can work with my 510 mod thread, and would prefer supporting local business before I import.

I know next to nothing about this field of interest but Vaperite sells tons of this type of kit.

https://www.vaperite.co.za/product-category/cannarite/cannabis-vaporizers/

I know next to nothing about this field of interest but Vaperite sells tons of this type of kit.

https://www.vaperite.co.za/product-category/cannarite/cannabis-vaporizers/
I bought the stand-alone kit from them, and it is really super awesome. Without it, I would have kept lighting up. I use it for medical reasons, and it really has saved my life, if I kept taking the insane amount of medicine I needed I would have been worse, not better, so a doctor actually suggested that I try it. But alas, they only have standalone kits. Would love to get a tank, but still contemplating if I should import one from the US. I would also love to see the stigma regarding this die down a bit. That would possibly result in tanks and other amazing related things being sold here in SA. Not hat I would wait that long. If it comes down to it, I will import one soon as I have some extra cash again.

Back