E-cigarette advice

Hi @ddk1979
My advice to you is to try get a juice you like a lot on the little Evod1
With your one hole plugged with superglue I am fairly confident you wont find another clearomiser that has a tighter draw and is as easy to use and reliable and cheap as the Evod1

Focus on the juices. The juice hunt can be challenging. I would say for the Evod try stick to the higher mg and thinner 50/50 juices. Trying as many as you can in the VM range is a good starting point.

I agree with the other posts above, over time you may start appreciating a more airy draw. It took me about a year to start getting into direct lung hits and i am now about half tighter mouth to lung and half lung hit.

By the way @ddk1979 i forgot to mention to you that superglue is not a good idea with vaping gear. Apologies for not mentioning it but better now than never

It can be poisonous. I am no expert on this but there are some threads on here advising not to use superglue on your atomiser near where the vaping takes place.

If I were you I would get another evod and rather use a rubber band go cover the hole

Check out this thread
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/warning-super-glue.t3377/

The last cleromizers i owned was a Kangertech Protank 3 and Protank mini 3.I used them both with a vision spinner.Looking back tho it was a lot taller than the pen style mods you get today from kanger. 1 thing for sure the twisp battery with the Protank mini 3 looked so nice. At the time it was a very decent setup.

However if i recall the protank mini 3 did have quite a tight draw. much like the old twisp. and also a small mouth piece. This just got me thinking tho how long i have been vaping for lol. Oh btw vapeking still sell the protank 3mini for something like R100. I paid R300 all those years back

*Update -- Here you go.

Protank Mini 3
http://www.vapeking.co.za/kangertech-mini-protank-3.html

1.5Coils
http://www.vapeking.co.za/kangertec...-5-1.5ohm-genitank-mini-protank-3-evod-2.html

The tank only has i think 2 tiny air holes. So you could just fill one if its still to much airflow. Also i would suggest higher nic juices for this sort of tank 12+.. If you like it get 2 :) cause they cheap. then you can have different flavours in each.

Last edited:
@ddk1979 - I only suggested the smaller Vision Spinners because I was under the impression that you like quite small pen style devices (and something like the 1600 mah Spinner with a tank is quite a lot taller than something like the newer tech 1500 mah eGo AIO) and because of the fact that batteries with around 850 mah capacity can last a while on higher ohm atomizers such as the Evod (on sub-ohm coils something under around 1100 mahs would really be depleted in no time), so I actually think it's great that you got the Vision Spinner II, that was very popular and highly rated until quite recently. I have tried racking my brains, but since I am REALLY not an expert by any means on tight MTL vaping like some of the other guys on here, I could really not think of anything tighter than the Nautilus Mini on the smallest airflow setting or the Evod. However, I have been wondering about the Kanger Genitank Mini, which really does seem to have very tight (variable) airflow to me IN THEORY / ON PAPER (I have not tried it, and remember - to me even the AIO is tight). It is stocked at VM, so chances are that you might have tried it and it didn't work? - so just a thought...

However - related to @DaveH 's "as time goes by" comment. As vaping is already quite a different sensation to smoking - you might not be able to find something that exactly emulates the airflow of the Rothmanns that you used to smoke (and if you do - however unlikely - the chances that that device will provide you with full flavor is even more unlikely). You might find though that after a short period of adjustment you become comfortable / much start preferring the airflow / draw on that and that the other benefits of the device far outweigh the initial short adjustment period. Once again, just a thought.
Yes, I was also thinking about the Kanger Genitank Mini, although it only 1.3ml. So checked out the Genitank and it has 2.4ml capacity with airflow control and bottom dual coils. Guess what, I just can't find it on any of the major suppliers websites or anywhere in South Africa using google !!!
Also looked at the Eleaf GS Air Atomizer (http://eciggies.co.za/Hardware/Dual-Coil-Clearomizers/GS-AIR-CLEARO-eLeaf) that has a 2.5ml capacity, also with airflow control and bottom dual coils.
Here is the full description : https://www.eleafus.com/atomizer/gs/gs-air-atomizer-silver.html
It says to use with an iStick. Can anybody tell me if it will work well with my Spinner II 1600mAh

@Kalashnikov - I think the Kangertech Protank 3 Mini is a great idea, although its capacity is only 1.5ml. I like the fact that it may be possible to close off 1 hole with something other than superglue (thanks @Silver - I bought another EVOD1).

Last edited:
Yes, I was also thinking about the Kanger Genitank Mini, although it only 1.3ml. So checked out the Genitank and it has 2.4ml capacity with airflow control and bottom dual coils. Guess what, I just can't find it on any of the major suppliers websites or anywhere in South Africa using google !!!
Also looked at the Eleaf GS Air Atomizer (http://eciggies.co.za/Hardware/Dual-Coil-Clearomizers/GS-AIR-CLEARO-eLeaf) that has a 2.5ml capacity, also with airflow control and bottom dual coils.
Here is the full description : https://www.eleafus.com/atomizer/gs/gs-air-atomizer-silver.html
It says to use with an iStick. Can anybody tell me if it will work well with my Spinner II 1600mAh

@Kalashnikov - I think it's Kangertech Protank 3 Mini is a great idea, although its capacity is only 1.5ml. I like the fact that it may be possible to close off 1 hole with something other than superglue (thanks @Silver - I bought another EVOD1).

I think that Eleaf GS Air would probably be quite similar to the Protank 3 Mini, so if you want to give it a try it will probably be quite nice. I dont have any experience with it though but I doubt it will be tighter than the Evod1 with one of its holes closed off. But I might be wrong

I think the GS Air will work on the Spinner if you get a high enough resistance coil. I see the one at Eciggies you posted has a 1.5 ohm coil which I am fairly confident will work on the spinner. The reason i say that is that i used to use the Protank mini 2 with coils of the same resistance on my old Spinner (previous model to yours) and it worked nicely. Perhaps just ask the guys at Eciggies i am sure they will be able to advise you on that, they are a great retailer.

safe-vaping-power.jpg I've been spending a lot of time reading up on everything to do with vaping. Can someone please clarify the following:
I downloaded a chart called safe-vaping-power. I will be using the info from that in my questions.
Some of the clearomizers/atomizers have specifications something like:
Voltage : 3.5-5.5V
Wattage : 8-20W
Resistance : 1.5ohm
So on its lowest settings (3.5V-1.5ohm) the wattage would be 8.17W - approximately equal to the lowest wattage according to the specs (8-20W).
However, if you turn up the voltage to the max 5.5V, then the wattage = 20.17 (approx. maximum wattage as per the specs)
But the chart indicates "Extremely Hot / Imminent Damage". I have also deduced from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong) that with sub-ohm vaping, you would get a similar situation.
So, how can one SAFELY vape at such a high voltage/wattage (as per the example above) without damaging your equipment ???

View attachment 55934 I've been spending a lot of time reading up on everything to do with vaping. Can someone please clarify the following:
I downloaded a chart called safe-vaping-power. I will be using the info from that in my questions.
Some of the clearomizers/atomizers have specifications something like:
Voltage : 3.5-5.5V
Wattage : 8-20W
Resistance : 1.5ohm
So on its lowest settings (3.5V-1.5ohm) the wattage would be 8.17W - approximately equal to the lowest wattage according to the specs (8-20W).
However, if you turn up the voltage to the max 5.5V, then the wattage = 20.17 (approx. maximum wattage as per the specs)
But the chart indicates "Extremely Hot / Imminent Damage". I have also deduced from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong) that with sub-ohm vaping, you would get a similar situation.
So, how can one SAFELY vape at such a high voltage/wattage (as per the example above) without damaging your equipment ???
That is a very old chart, applicable to older generation vaping gear.

That is a very old chart, applicable to older generation vaping gear.
I thought the chart was a pretty neat idea for someone like myself with no experience. It would probably prevent a lot of noobies from "blowing themselves up" or damaging their equipment.
So, is there some other guideline/chart to use or should I just stay within the manufacturers specifications, even though according to the old chart, it would be risky ?

I thought the chart was a pretty neat idea for someone like myself with no experience. It would probably prevent a lot of noobies from "blowing themselves up" or damaging their equipment.
So, is there some other guideline/chart to use or should I just stay within the manufacturers specifications, even though according to the old chart, it would be risky ?
Yes, you can use www.steam-engine.org. Most commercial coils have a recommended wattage range engraved on them.
Also read the stickies in Modders' Paradise.
Ask if in doubt.

@Rossouw, @Silver, @Lingogrey, @Clouder , @theyettie , @SAVaper, @Clouds4Days, @Greyz, @Stosta, @Ernest, @BumbleBee, @Andre, @Vape0206, @Ruan, @Kalashnikov , @DaveH, @Petrus , @Migs.

Hi folks. Just thought I'd give you an update on my journey into the vaping world. Firstly, It's been 2 and 1/2 months since I last smoked a cigarette. E-cigs have REALLY helped me to stay away from the smokes.
I've spent a LOT of time reading up and watching YouTube vids on vaping. that's why I've been so silent on the forum. One thing for sure is that as time goes by, your e-juice preferences and vaping style changes. Here I need to give a special thanks to @Lingogrey and @Silver for recommending the little EVOD1. I have found that I am getting use to the draw on it and that now there are times when the Twisp clearo feels just a little too tight. So I'm glad I haven't bought any new stuff yet, because it seems as if my vaping preferences are slowly changing towards a less tight draw - as @DaveH stated in an earlier post and was seconded by @Lingogrey in his post.
However - related to @DaveH 's "as time goes by" comment. As vaping is already quite a different sensation to smoking - you might not be able to find something that exactly emulates the airflow of the Rothmanns that you used to smoke (and if you do - however unlikely - the chances that that device will provide you with full flavor is even more unlikely). You might find though that after a short period of adjustment you become comfortable / much start preferring the airflow / draw on that and that the other benefits of the device far outweigh the initial short adjustment period. Once again, just a thought.
I am going to give it a little more time on the EVOD until I start to settle down and am using it at least 90% of the time. I think that at that point I can start to make a more informed choice of a new device as well, since I have been reading like crazy.
Many thanks to all of you for your advice along the way, and a special thanks to those who encouraged me not to give up, I would have "fallen off the wagon" without the support.
That's all for now, will keep you updated regularly.

Wow @ddk1979 well done. I am glad the Evod1 is doing it's job. Hunting for a new atty and mod is always a challenge but a nice one. Thanks for this brilliant forum it is a lot easier.

Congrats @ddk1979 ! 2.5 months is a great achievement, especially considering that you haven't been fortunate enough to find your ideal vape yet. I am glad that it sounds as if you are enjoying it more and I am confident that you will soon find what you are looking for.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Nice one @ddk1979
Congratulations on 2.5 months cig free.
It can only get easier from here on out.
Stay strong and vape on brother...

I been doing a LOT of reading to understand things better. I could not get a satisfactory answer to the following so maybe someone here can help?
Clearomizers seem to come with coils of varying ohms. How does changing to a different coil affect the whole vaping experience ?
Using my own humble equipment, the EVOD has a 1.8ohm coil. But I see coils with:
* 1.5ohm Pure Cotton (OCC)
* 2.2ohm standard coil
So how will things differ with each of these? Would I need to turn up/down the power to get a good vape ? From the vaping power chart I see that vaping a
- 1.8ohm coil at 3.3V = 6.05W
- 1.5ohm OCC at 3.3V = 7.26W
- 2.2ohm at 3.3V = 4.95W
Kanger has this info on their website -http://www.kangeronline.com/products/protank-heating-coil?variant=312117129 (see, I told you I'm doing a lot of reading)

Resistance...........Voltage
1.7-1.9 Ohm........3.1-3.4V
2.1-2.3 Ohm........3.5-3.8V
2.4-2.6 Ohm........3.9-4.2V
2.6-3.0 Ohm........4.3-4.7V
So I don't see what the advantage would be in changing the coil since the voltage parameters are so tight. PLEASE EXPLAIN.
BTW, I started off with a single Twisp clearo and 1 bottle of juice with absolutely no spares, and I really mean nothing at all. Now I'm sitting with the twisp (battery and clearomizer), an evod, a 900mAh pass-through battery and a vision spinner II battery. Also bought spare coils for both the twisp and evod, and bought more juice so I am sitting with 6 bottles. I am also looking for a new device (as everyone knows from reading this thread) - things are starting to get expensive real quick, I might have to switch back to smoking.:-D - just kidding.
Won't buy anything just yet since I'm still using the twisp about 75% of the time - still need to adjust to the evod some more before taking that step. I must say that I get MUCH more flavour with the twisp, is it due to it having a top coil ???

Last edited:
I been doing a LOT of reading to understand things better. I could not get a satisfactory answer to the following so maybe someone here can help?
Clearomizers seem to come with coils of varying ohms. How does changing to a different coil affect the whole vaping experience ?
Using my own humble equipment, the EVOD has a 1.8ohm coil. But I see coils with:
* 1.5ohm Pure Cotton (OCC)
* 2.2ohm standard coil
So how will things differ with each of these? Would I need to turn up/down the power to get a good vape ? From the vaping power chart I see that vaping a
- 1.8ohm coil at 3.3V = 6.05W
- 1.5ohm OCC at 3.3V = 7.26W
- 2.2ohm at 3.3V = 4.95W
Kanger has this info on their website -http://www.kangeronline.com/products/protank-heating-coil?variant=312117129 (see, I told you I'm doing a lot of reading)

Resistance...........Voltage
1.7-1.9 Ohm........3.1-3.4V
2.1-2.3 Ohm........3.5-3.8V
2.4-2.6 Ohm........3.9-4.2V
2.6-3.0 Ohm........4.3-4.7V
So I don't see what the advantage would be in changing the coil since the voltage parameters are so tight. PLEASE EXPLAIN.
BTW, I started off with a single Twisp clearo and 1 bottle of juice with absolutely no spares, and I really mean nothing at all. Now I'm sitting with the twisp (battery and clearomizer), an evod, a 900mAh pass-through battery and a vision spinner II battery. Also bought spare coils for both the twisp and evod, and bought more juice so I am sitting with 6 bottles. I am also looking for a new device (as everyone knows from reading this thread) - things are starting to get expensive real quick, I might have to switch back to smoking.:-D - just kidding.
Won't buy anything just yet since I'm still using the twisp about 75% of the time - still need to adjust to the evod some more before taking that step. I must say that I get MUCH more flavour with the twisp, is it due to it having a top coil ???
Hi @ddk1979

I am very glad that you are still vaping and PLEASE don't even consider to switch back to smoking - you are too far down the line towards the good side now to start backing up (I know you were just kidding, but still... :)). As far as your question on the resistance of coils, wattage and voltage goes, I will not attempt to answer it now - besides saying that these factors are both more relevant and more noticeable on much lower resistance coils, as well as noting that these 'simple calculations' are not always that simple. For instance, the ramp-up time on coils of similar resistances can be quite different depending on the coil materials and construction and one coil of the same resistance as another (constructed differently, even if made of the same material) can be vastly different (eg. the Stainless Steel Wismec / Joyetech Notch coils at a resistance of 0.22 - 0.25 ohms (single coil) perform very well at 35 - 45 watts. If you fire eg. a dual Stainless Steel Alien Clapton Build of a similar resistance at 35 watts, however, I doubt whether you will get a very satisfying vaping experience). I will, however, offer a more practical suggestion for now:

If you prefer the flavor and draw of the Twisp Clearo, have you considered just buying a couple more Twisp Aero clearomizers and coils to fit on your current batteries? I am aware that Twisp no longer sells the Clearo, but (as with all their vaping devices) it was just a rebrand of another device sold at an inflated price in any case (luckily with the Clearo the rate of 'inflation' wasn't even close to that of their current "flagship device", the Edge - which is basically a failed and discontinued Joyetech device rebranded and sold at a VASTLY inflated price of what it used to be worth). You can get the exact same clearomiser (actually it is slightly better AFAIK, as the mouthpiece has double o-rings - which apparently leads to less juice build-up in the space between the mouthpiece and the clearomiser) and coils, the Justfog 1453, for R 100 (and the coils for R 30 each) at Vapour Mountain and / or www.eciggies.co.za. If you perhaps buy another one / two of these clearomisers and enough coils to last you for a while (I see that Vapour Mountain only has 11 coils left; thus looking at eciggies would perhaps be an option if you think that you might need more - their shipping costs are not prohibitively expensive), it might tie you over until you find your optimal device that (including the coils etc.) is still widely available. I'm not sure if you've tried anything with higher VG than 50 % VG / 50 % PG in the Twisp Clearo, but my guess would be that that would be the optimal ratio for the device (and certainly nothing over 60 % VG). This would limit your choice of juices somewhat, but at places like Vapour Mountain you can still specify the ratio (as you know) and there are still a limited variety of high quality 50 / 50 local juices (such as those made by Skyblue and the older stock of Vape Elixir) available.

http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/shop/atomizers-clearomizers/justfog-1453-clearomizer/
http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/sho...rs/justfog-coil-compatible-with-twisp-clearo/
http://eciggies.co.za/Justfog1453Clearomizer-BLACK?search=justfog
http://eciggies.co.za/JUSTFOG-COIL?search=justfog

All the best!

Last edited:
Hi @ddk1979

I am very glad that you are still vaping and PLEASE don't even consider to switch back to smoking - you are too far down the line towards the good side now to start backing up (I know you were just kidding, but still... :)). As far as your question on the resistance of coils, wattage and voltage goes, I will not attempt to answer it now - besides saying that these factors are both more relevant and more noticeable on much lower resistance coils, as well as noting that these 'simple calculations' are not always that simple. For instance, the ramp-up time on coils of similar resistances can be quite different depending on the coil materials and construction and one coil of the same resistance as another (constructed differently, even if made of the same material) can be vastly different (eg. the Stainless Steel Wismec / Joyetech Notch coils at a resistance of 0.22 - 0.25 ohms (single coil) perform very well at 35 - 45 watts. If you fire eg. a dual Stainless Steel Alien Clapton Build of a similar resistance at 35 watts, however, I doubt whether you will get a very satisfying vaping experience). I will, however, offer a more practical suggestion for now:

If you prefer the flavor and draw of the Twisp Clearo, have you considered just buying a couple more Twisp Aero clearomizers and coils to fit on your current batteries? I am aware that Twisp no longer sells the Clearo, but (as with all their vaping devices) it was just a rebrand of another device sold at an inflated price in any case (luckily with the Clearo the rate of 'inflation' wasn't even close to that of their current "flagship device", the Edge - which is basically a failed and discontinued Joyetech device rebranded and sold at a VASTLY inflated price of what it used to be worth). You can get the exact same clearomiser (actually it is slightly better AFAIK, as the mouthpiece has double o-rings - which apparently leads to less juice build-up in the space between the mouthpiece and the clearomiser) and coils, the Justfog 1453, for R 100 (and the coils for R 30 each) at Vapour Mountain and / or www.eciggies.co.za. If you perhaps buy another one / two of these clearomisers and enough coils to last you for a while (I see that Vapour Mountain only has 11 coils left; thus looking at eciggies would perhaps be an option if you think that you might need more - their shipping costs are not prohibitively expensive), it might tie you over until you find your optimal device that (including the coils etc.) is still widely available. I'm not sure if you've tried anything with higher VG than 50 % VG / 50 % PG in the Twisp Clearo, but my guess would be that that would be the optimal ratio for the device (and certainly nothing over 60 % VG). This would limit your choice of juices somewhat, but at places like Vapour Mountain you can still specify the ratio (as you know) and there are still a limited variety of high quality 50 / 50 local juices (such as those made by Skyblue and the older stock of Vape Elixir) available.

http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/shop/atomizers-clearomizers/justfog-1453-clearomizer/
http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/sho...rs/justfog-coil-compatible-with-twisp-clearo/
http://eciggies.co.za/Justfog1453Clearomizer-BLACK?search=justfog
http://eciggies.co.za/JUSTFOG-COIL?search=justfog

All the best!
Hi @Lingogrey
While looking at the vaping goodies on the vendors websites (and also those on the manufacturers websites), I noticed the different ohm coils available for the EVOD and that got me thinking about the whole issue. Nevertheless, I intend buying a few of each of the other coils to try out and will post the results sometime in the future.
As far as another Twisp or the JustFog 1453, I suppose you could say that I want to move forward in the vaping world and I see that as a sideways move. I've also noticed that all the really good juices are 70%-80% VG so that is a limiting factor as well. I did try a bottle of Twisp's pure VG juice on the Clearo (well before I even joined this forum) and found I was getting a lot of dry hits. I thought it was just my twisp acting up. The EVOD made me realize that I don't have to rush out to buy anything right now, and I've got enough coils to last at least another 2 months. I first need to make the adjustment to a more airy draw since almost everything on the market is actually aimed in that direction.
Speaking of the Twisp, hell but that sucker has a continuous build-up of juice in the space between the mouthpiece and the clearomizer. It's already become a habit to always have a roll of double ply toilet paper close at hand (only the best for my old faithful little twisp - its double ply and nothing less - the wife can use single ply. LOL:D).
Onto something else, and the only way I can explain it is to use my old Rothmans cig again. Remember what it was like to run-out of smokes and the only thing available was someone's cheap cigs - that they paid R20 for 5 cartons of the stuff? I recall it being rather rough on the throat- you could taste it was made from junk. Now I started using a juice that's only about 2 weeks old. I kept it in a dark, cool place and shook it up real good everyday. Now this juice tastes like that cheap cig I just referred to. Please note that I bought it from a reputable supplier (won't mention any names 'cos it's probably my fault). I replaced the coils twice thinking that perhaps the coil was just a dud, but same problem. Anyone have any ideas on this ???
Once again, thanks to you and everyone else for your comments and advice.

This is a big thread. So I don't know if this was mentioned. I've got multiple miss and Tanks that I use but my daily smoker is a Eleaf I stick 40 and a nautilus mini tank. This is a mouth to lung hit like a cig. I buy two bottles of E liquid for the month and two coils this sets me back 400 a month. The nautilus mini has ajustable air flow. Great flavor great throat hit. Got me off cigs for the past 8 months. The Eleaf bat last me two to three days at a time. Perfect setup for me. Do some research. Let me know!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a big thread. So I don't know if this was mentioned. I've got multiple miss and Tanks that I use but my daily smoker is a Eleaf I stick 40 and a nautilus mini tank. This is a mouth to lung hit like a cig. I buy two bottles of E liquid for the month and two coils this sets me back 400 a month. The nautilus mini has ajustable air flow. Great flavor great throat hit. Got me off cigs for the past 8 months. The Eleaf bat last me two to three days at a time. Perfect setup for me. Do some research. Let me know!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THANKS, will do.

Back