E-liquid Reviews - SPYRO

S

Spyro

I'm a juice snob, there I said it. I have particular tastes and a very large amount of the juice I buy gets thrown away.

Here I will be posting my take on juice that I try. As a person who spent the majority of my career in product development (correcting and manipulating food recipes), I believe I have a firm grasp on flavour and that I'll be able to review juices as objectively as possible. I will be using my own rating scale as I feel like there are various factors that need to be addressed.

This will be my criteria and I will provide a final rating out of 5 as well as "would I buy it again"
My reviews will not only factor in juice quality, but also price point. For the sake of consistency, every juice will be run through my obs engine nano sitting atop the hotcig R150. The only coils I vape with are 0.4 ohm, single coil framed staple claptons. Cotton will be Cotton Bacon.

Flavour - Is it complex? Basic? How many individual flavours can I identify. - I'm not going to point out that I can taste CAP Toe Jam with hints of FW nipple cream. But rather which flavour notes I can find in each juice (sweet strawberry, ripe strawberry, chicken skin). I will rate the juices flavour for my own palette as well as a rating for the juice as a whole, regardless of my personal opinion. For example, I'm not much of a melon fan, but a good melon is a good melon.

Vapers tongue - Does the juice give me vapers tongue after extended use? Contrary to popular belief I do not even remotely agree that vapers tongue is caused by using the same juice for extended periods of time. Vapers tongue is caused by using flavours that cause vapers tongue. I truly think it's that simple. Vaping the same juice is going to reduce the intensity of the flavour, not give you a cotton mouth feeling.

Throat hit, Mild, intense, is it caused by the flavouring (EG Vapemob papasmurf), is it caused by high nicotine content, High PG or is it caused by poor flavourings.

Recommendation - Who would I recommend this juice to?

Repurchase - Would I buy this Juice again?

Price - Is it worth the price

Here are a few things to note about me before you read on.
* I don't vape menthol.
* I won't review a juice without using at least 20mls
* I won't take any responsibilty for your purchases
* These reviews are entirely based on opinion and should be treated as such
* I will try to be as unbiased as possible
* I do not enjoy throat hit

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to these reviews. Your palette is different to mine, but could learn a lot

Hi @Spyro

This sounds marvellous!!
Am looking forward to hearing about the juices you vaped!

I have moved this thread to the "Reviewers" subforum. This is to keep to the convention we have followed. That E-Liquid Reviews subforum contains only threads sorted by manufacturer. Reviewers such as yourself and myself who wish to aggregate reviews have threads in here.

When you post reviews here, please also post them in the E-Liquid Reviews subforum under the relevant thread. You can either post the full review in both places or post the full review there and just links here to the full reviews. You could use your second post in this thread as an index of sorts, like I have done. And then with notifications below when you've added a new review to the imdex. Just an idea.

The reason for that is so that it makes it easier for members to find juice reviews by manufacturer in that (already well populated) subforum.

Hope that makes sense

Last edited:
Very nice, I’m really looking forward to your reviews @Spyro!

@Spyro One of my New Year's Resolutions is to spend less time on ecigssa. In order to achieve this, I will be particular about which threads I follow. This thread is most definitely a "Watch Thread"!

What I like:
1. Good research methodology:
- Constant variables e.g. "obs engine nano sitting atop the hotcig R150. The only coils I vape with are 0.4 ohm, single coil framed staple claptons. Cotton will be Cotton Bacon."
- Objectivity e.g. "I will rate the juices flavour for my own palette as well as a rating for the juice as a whole, regardless of my personal opinion. For example, I'm not much of a melon fan, but a good melon is a good melon."

2. "Repurchase - Would I buy this Juice again?" THIS is the bottom line, isn't it?

What I don't like:
"As a person who spent the majority of my career in product development (correcting and manipulating food recipes), I believe I have a firm grasp on flavour". I was going to invite you to dinner but now I'm so scared that just the thought of it makes me shake in my apron.

Okay, let's do a review.

KZOR - Chimp, 1mg nic.

IMG_20180104_100907.jpg

Setup used:
OBS engine nano.
Coil master Fused Clapton at 0.41 Ohms
Cotton Bacon to wick
Hotcig R150 powered by two fully charged Sammy 30Q's
The wick was rewicked 2 days prior to the review and only the juice in question has been pumped through the tank
This is based on the 4th full tank to go through the OBS which I believe has allowed the cotton to break in nicely.
Wattage: 50W

This juice is extremely sweet!

Flavour: A relatively basic flavour profile with a complex mouth feel. As described by the label: "Banana Milk".
By no means is this a ripe banana, or at least from what I'm experiencing. On the inhale I don't taste all that much banana but rather an intense candy. Something I would probably relate to a liquified wine gum. I also taste some marshmallow or at least what I would describe as marshmallow - perhaps this is the milk, I taste no "milk" but I definitely get a rounded and smooth mouth feel, very creamy and leaves me wanting a little more with each hit, something I generally find to be lacking in a lot of juice. On the exhale I get a lovely intense banana candy that can only be described as a banana candy. the flavour is intense yet not overwhelming. It's very sweet and I don't think I'd be telling the truth if I said I could taste anything other than this bad boy right here...

k00653-kds-marshmallow-bananas-24-100gr.jpg

Does it give me vapers tongue?
Absolutely not. I have gone through 25 of my 30ml purchase in around a week, often filling the tank with the same juice as soon as it is finished.

Is it an all day vape? Well, I could vape it all day for sure, but for an everyday-all-day-vape it's a little too sweet to not have in rotation. I find two or three tanks worth is as much as I can handle before needing to switch it up. It has a very low nicotine content and this means I can vape continuously without experiencing any nausea.

Throat hit?
Little to none. As far as actual throat hit goes I'd say it's pretty much none existent. I do get a slight tingle on the back of my throat on the exhale, something I have only come to experience with Vape Mob Papasmurf. I enjoy this feeling quite a bit and so this gets a 0.2/5 for throat hit. 0 being no throat hit at all and 5 being so unbearable that it closes up my lungs.

Recommendation? - Yes, I'd reccommend this juice to anyone who enjoys candy or banana candy flavours. If you are looking for a ripe banana this wont be it. If you enjoy banana candy, this is the best one I've tried to date. If you have not enjoyed banana candy in the past then this is not for you. There is no denying that this juice is a banana candy.

Repurchase?
- Would I buy this Juice again? Absolutely, but I feel like I'll be trying the rest of the range before buying it again.

Price? - Is it worth the price? At R100 per 30ml for what I can only assume to be international flavouring, I'd say it's a fair price and I'd be happy to pay it again. As the quantity increases the price drops rather significantly and so I think anything over a 30ml purchase is definitely a win.

Extra notes: I had a couple friends try out this juice to give me their opinions. The general consensus was that the juice is delicious. There was however one vaper who is not a fan of banana candy at all and didn't like the juice at all. He wouldn't take a third hit. So keep that in mind if you don't much like sweet or banana candy flavours. From the time I recieved the juice to the time I pulled into my driveway (around 15 minutes) I'd finished an entire tank.

Final Thoughts:
All in all I would rate this juice as a 4.5/5. My only "reccommendation" would be to mellow down on the sweetness if possible - that way I could vape it for longer periods of time without being too overwhelmed by the sweetness. I am much more of a savoury than sweet tooth.

Elephant in the Room:
Am I rating this juice highly because it originates from a forum member? I don't believe so, no. I ordered some sublime and after tasting it, I didn't take the bottle home. I cannot review that juice because of this.

@Silver As KZOR is not a contributing vendor I'm not sure if this needs to be posted in it's own subforum. I will wait on your response and do that if necessary.

@Hooked Thanks for that! Made my day. I have unfortunately had to live on "sample" recipe dishes. So absolutely any home made food is a huge win for me! Anything "afrikaans" or "indian" puts a big smile on my face. My mother was a chef and I miss her home cooking ever so much.

Thanks @Spyro for the review - sounds great
Go ahead, that E-liquid Reviews subforum is not just for supporting vendors - it's for any juices, local and international

@Hooked Thanks for that! Made my day. I have unfortunately had to live on "sample" recipe dishes. So absolutely any home made food is a huge win for me! Anything "afrikaans" or "indian" puts a big smile on my face. My mother was a chef and I miss her home cooking ever so much.

@Spyro What exactly is/was your occupation then? Whereabouts do you live in CT? There's a fantastic Indian Restaurant in T/View called The Indian Chapter. Perhaps we could meet there for lunch one day - and any other peeps who are in the area can join us too. I vape in the restaurant, but discreetly.

Vape Africa -VAP3 - Vanilla Custard 3MG

View attachment 118080

Settup used:
OBS engine nano.
Cotton Bacon to wick
The wick was rewicked on the day of the review and only the juice in question has been pumped through the tank
This is based on the 3rd full tank to go through the OBS which I believe has allowed the cotton to break in nicely. The first tank was carefully purged through the tank in it's entirety, being careful to avoid any burning of cotton.

Flavour: An extremely basic flavour profile with a soapy mouth feel. As described by the label: "Vanilla custard".
On the inhale I don't tast that much of anything without having to search for it. on the exhale I get a somewhat biscuity taste with a big kick of vanilla and an ever so slight cinnamon. I would probably relate this to a home-made custard. There is no doubt that this would be a very good custard with a fair bit of work. Steeping has helped none. On the exhale and for quite some time after, All I can taste is soap.

Not really, I have gone through 50ml of my 60ml purchase in around one month, hardly ever refilling the tank with the same juice once finished. Although I don't experience what I would call vapers tongue, I do get an awful after taste.

Is it an all day vape? If you like soap.

Throat hit?
Little to none. I aprove of this throat hit. 0.5/5

Recommendation? - No, I'd reccommend this juice to anyone who enjoys soap.

Repurchase?
- Nope

Price? - Is it worth the price? At R110 per 60ml for locally produced flavours it's priced fairly well. Unfortunately I can't reccommend spending money on this juice. As far as I know the price has increased slightly since my purchase.

Extra notes: I had a couple friends try out this juice to give me their opinions. The general consensus was that the juice is pretty good but leaves you with a mouthful of soap... I bought this juice based on the idea that you can't go wrong with a vanilla custard. I was wrong. The man behind the desk suggested buying their Peach and apricot flavour and mixing the two. I very much enjoyed the Peach and apricot but mixing them was a waste of money as I couldn't get rid of the after taste.

Final Thoughts:
All in all I would rate this juice as a 2/5. I would suggest trying out strawberry doughnut, Black currant or Peach and Apricot instead.

@Spyro Whew that's so weird. I've got a bottle of their Vanilla Custard 6mg and to me it has a pleasant flavour. Then again, I don't have a strong sense of taste which is probably why I love hot, spicy food so much!! I'm sure this thread is going to result in some major disagreements :-D

Okay, let's do a review.

KZOR - Chimp, 1mg nic.

View attachment 118076

Settup used:
OBS engine nano.
Cotton Bacon to wick
The wick was rewicked 2 days prior to the review and only the juice in question has been pumped through the tank
This is based on the 4th full tank to go through the OBS which I believe has allowed the cotton to break in nicely.

Flavour: A relatively basic flavour profile with a complex mouth feel. As described by the label: "Banana Milk".
By no means is this a ripe banana, or at least from what I'm experiencing. On the inhale I don't taste all that much banana but rather an intense candy. Something I would probably relate to a liquified wine gum. I also taste some marshmallow or at least what I would describe as marshmallow - perhaps this is the milk, I taste no "milk" but I definitely get a rounded and smooth mouth feel, very creamy and leaves me wanting a little more with each hit, something I generally find to be lacking in a lot of juice. On the exhale I get a lovely intense banana candy that can only be described as a banana candy. the flavour is intense yet not overwhelming. It's very sweet and I don't think I'd be telling the truth if I said I could taste anything other than this bad boy right here...

View attachment 118074

Absolutely not. I have gone through 25 of my 30ml purchase in around a week, often filling the tank with the same juice as soon as it is finished.

Is it an all day vape? Well, I could vape it all day for sure, but for an everyday-all-day-vape it's a little too sweet to not have in rotation. I find two or three tanks worth is as much as I can handle before needing to switch it up. It has a very low nicotine content and this means I can vape continuously without experiencing any nausea.

Throat hit?
Little to none. As far as actual throat hit goes I'd say it's pretty much none existent. I do get a slight tingle on the back of my throat on the exhale, something I have only come to experience with Vape Mob Papasmurf. I enjoy this feeling quite a bit and so this gets a 0.2/5 for throat hit. 0 being no throat hit at all and 5 being so unbearable that it closes up my lungs.

Recommendation? - Yes, I'd reccommend this juice to anyone who enjoys candy or banana candy flavours. If you are looking for a ripe banana this wont be it. If you enjoy banana candy, this is the best one I've tried to date. If you have not enjoyed banana candy in the past then this is not for you. There is no denying that this juice is a banana candy.

Repurchase?
- Would I buy this Juice again? Absolutely, but I feel like I'll be trying the rest of the range before buying it again.

Price? - Is it worth the price? At R100 per 30ml for what I can only assume to be international flavouring, I'd say it's a fair price and I'd be happy to pay it again. As the quantity increases the price drops rather significantly and so I think anything over a 30ml purchase is definitely a win.

Extra notes: I had a couple friends try out this juice to give me their opinions. The general consensus was that the juice is delicious. There was however one vaper who is not a fan of banana candy at all and didn't like the juice at all. He wouldn't take a third hit. So keep that in mind if you don't much like sweet or banana candy flavours. From the time I recieved the juice to the time I pulled into my driveway (around 15 minutes) I'd finished an entire tank.

Final Thoughts:
All in all I would rate this juice as a 4.5/5. My only "reccommendation" would be to mellow down on the sweetness if possible - that way I could vape it for longer periods of time without being too overwhelmed by the sweetness. I am much more of a savoury than sweet tooth.

Elephant in the Room:
Am I rating this juice highly because it originates from a forum member? I don't believe so, no. I ordered some sublime and after tasting it, I didn't take the bottle home. I cannot review that juice because of this.

@Silver As KZOR is not a contributing vendor I'm not sure if this needs to be posted in it's own subforum. I will wait on your response and do that if necessary.
Where can I get a bottle?

@Spyro What exactly is/was your occupation then? Whereabouts do you live in CT? There's a fantastic Indian Restaurant in T/View called The Indian Chapter. Perhaps we could meet there for lunch one day - and any other peeps who are in the area can join us too. I vape in the restaurant, but discreetly.

I am / was a product developer. I was full time but have since moved to a consult basis as my interests have changed. I can't give it up because the money is there and I need to feed my furbabies. Exactly what I did/do is to change existing recipes (prepacked meals) to suit the current trends. For example, flipping a recipe over to Banting. Turning a standard dish into a low fat or sugar-free version while maintaining taste as much as possible.

I have since moved over to a more marketing oriented side of the same business. So, for example, one of the things we did not too long ago was to change a products name. Sales went up tenfold just from a name change. Consumers are a kooky bunch.

My favourite place for a good curry is Bukhara but the curry there goes for over R200 per bowl and that's without ordering rice or naan! Also, the last time I was there my father took control of the bill. The waiter managed to double charge him and pocket the extra cash - a substantial amount considering their prices. We only found out a month later when the restaurant called to let us know. Wow, talk about off-topic!! :p

Where can I get a bottle?

You can pick up a bottle from @KZOR send him a pm.

@Spyro Having done what you did with food, I'm certain you'd be very good at DIY. Do you DIY?

@Spyro that juice you recommended(no names till you review it)I didn't take to it at first,but a drop fell on my shirt and its aroma filled the house till wash day.and then a craved it.
spyro's juice reviews rock

Will try for the end of the weekend. Been nailed with some food poisoning so I'm struggling to keep myself together! Thanks for the reminder :)

dont lie, you vaped a Tide Pod right ?

just kidding - get well soon

Hi @Spyro, like what you are doing and how you are doing it.

There is one thing, an idea, that is hanging around in my mind. Some brands such as the well known Twisp and Vap3 supply both hardware and juices (Almost said software...). Is it possible that these juices are "tuned" to their devices and may not perform as intended in others?

I tried Twisp Tobacco1 on a friends Cue and really liked it. Bought a bottle and juiced up an OL16 with it. A totally different beast with claws and teeth emerged with little resemblance to what I experienced on the Cue. Flavor profile waaaaay to intense.

Maybe something worth keeping in mind when testing these juice types?

Regards

Back