Early morning Vape

You see what doesn't make sense to me is that you say you get this tightness of chest in the morning. But for the rest of the day, you have no problem vaping.

If you were vaping juices that give you a tight chest or were problematic for you, you would experience those problems at other times too.

So this tells me that it's something about you, not necessarily the vaping juices or gear.

Maybe your body is so used to the smoking that you manage that quite easily. But because the vaping is something new, your body has a problem with it in the morning, when perhaps your chest is tight just after you wake up.

Maybe @DoC has some pearls of wisdom to share for someone who wakes up with a tight chest and finds they can't easily vape but they can have a real cigarette. But then later in the day, they can vape without a problem.

@Silver That's also what confuses me - I have no problem at all during the day, I'm vaping the whole day (I work at home) and have no issues during the day or evening.

That could be it - I'm used to have a smoke in the morning and my body needs to adjust and get used to vaping and not smoking.
Or my body is still getting rid of all the toxins from all the years of smoking.

@debslouw I've just caught up with this thread, at the beginning I didn't realise that you were still alternating between smoking and vaping. Well done on cutting back down to two a day! That is already very impressive.

I was a two pack a day smoker and also cut down to two smokes a day, the wake up smoke and the after work "treat". I could already feel a big difference. But I can promise you this, right here in black and white, a week after you've smoked your last cigarette and only vape you will see a much bigger difference, a massive one! It takes just one cigarette to coat your lungs and sinus passages with icky stuff. Please don't take this up wrong, I'm not in any way trying to force you into to quit, you need to get there on your own terms, I'm just sharing my experience.

This is interesting. Having a cigarette in the morning used to be the best day starter for me. But for some reason I don't Vape first thing in the morning, I first get done for work and then start vaping just before I leave the house.

Could it be that the first smoke with the coffee is just a habit, and now your head is making all things to get that, also dont get me wrong .. i use to love my pipe with my cuppa :)

That was my treat .. espresso and a smoke :D

I have this problem too, to some degree - but it's getting better with time.

What I do is to just keep having coffee (or any other fluids) with small puffs of vape between them, until I feel comfortable with the vaping...and then it's full steam ahead (pun inteded) :-D

This has kept me from smoking in the morning.

I'm sure you will get there eventually, as you genuinely seem to be trying everything, well done so far :clap:
Thank you @free3dom - I will also give that a try, I'm willing to try anything!

Thanks so much, really want to stop smoking and am trying my best.
I know I will be able to stop once I have the early morning vape sorted. :D

Could it be that the first smoke with the coffee is just a habit, and now your head is making all things to get that, also dont get me wrong .. i use to love my pipe with my cuppa :)

That was my treat .. espresso and a smoke :D
@kimbo yeah I'm starting to think that might be the problem.
Just hoping to get to the point where my chest doesn't feel like its in a vice grip in the morning...lol!

@kimbo yeah I'm starting to think that might be the problem.
Just hoping to get to the point where my chest doesn't feel like its in a vice grip in the morning...lol!

I know this is a hard one and i am sorry for asking this, can you try to maybe have that cup a bit later and see what it does?

@debslouw I've just caught up with this thread, at the beginning I didn't realise that you were still alternating between smoking and vaping. Well done on cutting back down to two a day! That is already very impressive.

I was a two pack a day smoker and also cut down to two smokes a day, the wake up smoke and the after work "treat". I could already feel a big difference. But I can promise you this, right here in black and white, a week after you've smoked your last cigarette and only vape you will see a much bigger difference, a massive one! It takes just one cigarette to coat your lungs and sinus passages with icky stuff. Please don't take this up wrong, I'm not in any way trying to force you into to quit, you need to get there on your own terms, I'm just sharing my experience.

Thanks so much @BumbleBee - Thanks so much, alot of trying and determination to cut back so much!
Shoo I didn't know just one smoke did that, that could be my problem in the morning.

Not taking it in the wrong way at all, I'm really appreciating all the help and advice from everyone.
It will probably be much better if I stop smoking stinkies completely! :D

You go gurl :)

The mind is a funny thing, i come to realize it in the past ten years or so :) That is the reason why i ask
@kimbo Oh yeah the mind is a powerful and strange thing for sure. I've been smoking since 1997. Biggest mistake to start and hardest thing to stop, but vaping has sure made it a heck of alot easier! I have to keep reminding myself how bad smokes actually taste.

I know this is a hard one and i am sorry for asking this, can you try to maybe have that cup a bit later and see what it does?
@kimbo - hmmm.. I get up at 5am and my husband leaves for work at 5:45am so we like to have a cup of coffee together before he leaves for work. but maybe I can try and not have a smoke and vape later when my chest doesn't feel so tight. :D

This is interesting. Having a cigarette in the morning used to be the best day starter for me. But for some reason I don't Vape first thing in the morning, I first get done for work and then start vaping just before I leave the house.
I get up at 5am then make coffee, breakfast etc then go for a smoke and have coffee at 5:30 but can only vape from about 6:30am. Maybe I should just try not have a smoke at 5:30 and see what happens and if it will work that I can vape even earlier :D

i tell you what, when you have your cup of coffee with your husband, put your smokes on the table were you can see them. Just tell yourself you will have a smoke in 5 minutes, when the 5 minutes is gone, tell yourself you will just wait another 5minutes and have one then. Or get bizzy with something so that you delay your smoke, but keep them in eye sight, so that you know they are there ;)

i tell you what, when you have your cup of coffee with your husband, put your smokes on the table were you can see them. Just tell yourself you will have a smoke in 5 minutes, when the 5 minutes is gone, tell yourself you will just wait another 5minutes and have one then. Or get bizzy with something so that you delay your smoke, but keep them in eye sight, so that you know they are there ;)
@kimbo - sounds like a great idea - think I will definitely give that a try. Thanks a million :D

Dont stress yourself out about it though
25 to 2 is a great achievement
I say first try cut down to just 1 a day
And I agree with what @Andre said earlier, take your time. It will come.

I have been vaping for around 5 years. This was on and off for a variety of reasons. I blame those early Evod type devices that broke ( battery failures ) after a few weeks of use and tanks that leaked out of the box ( oh ! how far we have come ).:-D

That said I have not smoked a cigarette in 18 months , barring a drag here and there to confirm my convictions. While my morning cough is a thing of the past , I still wake up with a tight chest. Some mornings are worse than others. I still experience difficulty with the first few puffs in the morning.

I mostly just push through as it normalizes within an hour or so. I have found that a higher vg/ lower nic juice does help the cause. a 3mg 80% vg juice gets me over the "just opened your eyes" cravings without killing my lungs but even then its not "normal".

My theory for this is that there is perhaps a build up of fluid in the lungs due to slower breathing and position during sleep. My theory is that the lungs are less able to expand leading to over saturation of the bronchiole from the vapour.

I would recommend taking 5-10 slow and very deep breaths to stimulate normal lung operation. Then wait 15 minutes and try that vape.

Even if this does not work , the increased oxygen will help you wake up quicker.;-)

My guess is this problem stems from an irritation in the throat due to mucous while laying in a sleep position for hours. For the last week my son has been coughing his lungs out every night, which begins soon after he puts his head down.

I would suggest trying two things, just for your own sake.
  • Use an extra pillow
  • Place a sliced raw onion near your bed.

Who knows, it could be a real simple solution.

Thank you soooooo much to everyone for the awesome tips and advice!! You guys are the BEST!

Sooooo I tried a few things this morning and I'm vaping at 5:30 and have not had a stinkie yet. Feeling a bit jittery but its only the first morning.
BUT I am vaping early. WOOOHOOOO!!

Had a tight chest this morning but was taking deep breaths while making coffee, breakfast etc.
Thank you to @bwbwings @Silver @Mauritz for that advice - it helps tremendously to take deep breaths in the morning.
Still have a slight tight chest but nothing near what it is normally. First few drags were a bit heavy but pushing through and it got easier.

@Mauritz taking the deep breaths helped for vaping and as you also mentioned definitely helped me feel more awake this time of the morning.

I tried my IPV2 on 7w and the nautilus mini on the smallest hole but didn't feel like much was coming through, so I tried it on 7.5 watts and the 2nd smallest hole which was a bit better but I think my juice is a bit to thick for the early morning.

I tried the menthol (12mg - 50%vg / 50% pg) in the e-smart and took small drags at first with deep breaths in-between which is helping alot so I'm actually vaping normally on that.

I also tried @bwbwings Sigelei at 9 watts with the nautilus mini with the Honey Badger juice (18mg) and that is also working and not so tight on my chest, I can vape that early morning too.

I also tried the advice of @kimbo - although I didn't put the smokes in front of me and tried not to have one - we didn't go outside and have our coffee (we only smoke stinkies outside and Vape inside) so with sitting inside and not going out the temptation to have a stinkie was not there and have not had one yet, by now I've usually had 2.

Like I said still feeling a bit jittery but I'm vaping 12mg at the moment and will soon be moving over to my usual 18mg fix.
Will also be trying out different juices for the early morning and experiment with what gives the better nicotine fix without killing my chest.
But the deep breaths makes it a million times better.

Sorry, I can't remember who mentioned about drinking coffee in-between but that has also helped.

So I tried alot more on the first morning than I thought I would be able to but its working.

Thanks a million times over to everyone that gave tips, hints and advice!! I really appreciate it so much!

Thank you soooooo much to everyone for the awesome tips and advice!! You guys are the BEST!

Sooooo I tried a few things this morning and I'm vaping at 5:30 and have not had a stinkie yet. Feeling a bit jittery but its only the first morning.
BUT I am vaping early. WOOOHOOOO!!

Had a tight chest this morning but was taking deep breaths while making coffee, breakfast etc.
Thank you to @bwbwings @Silver @Mauritz for that advice - it helps tremendously to take deep breaths in the morning.
Still have a slight tight chest but nothing near what it is normally. First few drags were a bit heavy but pushing through and it got easier.

@Mauritz taking the deep breaths helped for vaping and as you also mentioned definitely helped me feel more awake this time of the morning.

I tried my IPV2 on 7w and the nautilus mini on the smallest hole but didn't feel like much was coming through, so I tried it on 7.5 watts and the 2nd smallest hole which was a bit better but I think my juice is a bit to thick for the early morning.

I tried the menthol (12mg - 50%vg / 50% pg) in the e-smart and took small drags at first with deep breaths in-between which is helping alot so I'm actually vaping normally on that.

I also tried @bwbwings Sigelei at 9 watts with the nautilus mini with the Honey Badger juice (18mg) and that is also working and not so tight on my chest, I can vape that early morning too.

I also tried the advice of @kimbo - although I didn't put the smokes in front of me and tried not to have one - we didn't go outside and have our coffee (we only smoke stinkies outside and Vape inside) so with sitting inside and not going out the temptation to have a stinkie was not there and have not had one yet, by now I've usually had 2.

Like I said still feeling a bit jittery but I'm vaping 12mg at the moment and will soon be moving over to my usual 18mg fix.
Will also be trying out different juices for the early morning and experiment with what gives the better nicotine fix without killing my chest.
But the deep breaths makes it a million times better.

Sorry, I can't remember who mentioned about drinking coffee in-between but that has also helped.

So I tried alot more on the first morning than I thought I would be able to but its working.

Thanks a million times over to everyone that gave tips, hints and advice!! I really appreciate it so much!

Proud of you :D

Commitment like this can only be rewarded, your body thanks you :)

Proud of you :D

Commitment like this can only be rewarded, your body thanks you :)
Thanks so much @kimbo really means alot to me!
Oh yes! Think my body is happy I haven't had a stinky today, and think I will start feeling alot better after stopping stinkies completely!

@bwbwings are doing this together and both didn't have any stinkies this morning and are going to try not have one at all today.
We're definitely getting there after vaping for almost 7 months.

Back