Economical tools.

Hi Stew,
M7*0.5 taps and dies are available from Mican Industrial in Boksburg ... As I recall the tap was about R150 and CK flush cut side cutters you can get from Christensen Tools in JHB for around R400 ;)
My husband says must confirm if the tap is 7 x 0.5mm? I have been asking for an atty stand. Thanks!

My husband says must confirm if the tap is 7 x 0.5mm? I have been asking for an atty stand. Thanks!
Yes. If you do a Google search on 510 thread you get this "510 literally means 10 threads at 0.5 mm per thread. The diameter is 7mm. If you were to create this thread yourself, it would use an M7 x 0.5 tap."

Hi LieslB,
510 means 10 threads at 0.5 mm per thread. The diameter is 7mm.
You need an M7 x 0.5 tap AND ... You will need a 6.25 mm drill for a 100% "engineering fit" ... you could increase that to 6.5mm drill bit, (which would be considerably cheaper), for an 80% fit, which would make it easier to take in and out too ;)

Last edited:
Hahaha, luckily we are in Somerset West, it would have to be sent to us. If he went there I may never see him again!

Thank you for all your help!

My husband ordered it for me, we should get it next week. He's a goodie, I think I'll keep him!

My husband ordered it for me, we should get it next week. He's a goodie, I think I'll keep him!

LOL ... At least keep him until your stand is done :-D
Speaking of stands ... As you'll now have a tap and drill bit ... you may as well go large :pesas:. so;
Make a display stand for the multitude of tanks you're gonna be adding to your collection as well :rolleyes: ... I jus' know you wanna get down into that rabbit hole with the rest of us:meparto:

Get into the rabbit hole, what do you mean, I'm at the bottom looking up already!

I got this quote this morning, 1 Sep 2020 from MiCan Industrial supplies.
upload_2020-9-1_11-6-18.png

View attachment 206160
I replied to their quote.
"
Hi Dess-Ray Duxbury. My request was for a specific Tap. Quoting on something similar is not much use to me and if I did not look closely I could have ordered it inadvertently. I am looking for a quote on specifically 510 literally means 10 threads at 0.5 mm per thread. The diameter is 7mm. If you were to create this thread yourself, it would use an M7 x 0.5 tap.

Thank you very much

Stew Robinson"
Info @LeislB

Last edited:
View attachment 206160
Lemme see if I can dig out the old invoice for a part no. ;)

Here you go ... It's marked "Special order - SOMTA - M7*0.5 - 2nd TAP - (3-4 week lead)"
I've just called Andre' at MiCan (011) 918 3502 and asked him WTF, and I await his return call

Last edited:
LOL. Looking for scissors I saw some prices on the internet. Don't think they will give them up so easily. They are incredibly expensive.

@Stew unsure if you came right with scissors but I use a pair of cuticle scissors that I got from a nail set a while back. Works like a charm. Found this one on Clicks website. They usually have really nice sharp points to get in small gaps.

Screenshot_20200901-230141_Chrome.jpg

@Stew unsure if you came right with scissors but I use a pair of cuticle scissors that I got from a nail set a while back. Works like a charm. Found this one on Clicks website. They usually have really nice sharp points to get in small gaps.

View attachment 206212
Thanks very much. I actually did get not quite the same at Clicks.

I replied to their quote.
"
Hi Dess-Ray Duxbury. My request was for a specific Tap. Quoting on something similar is not much use to me and if I did not look closely I could have ordered it inadvertently. I am looking for a quote on specifically 510 literally means 10 threads at 0.5 mm per thread. The diameter is 7mm. If you were to create this thread yourself, it would use an M7 x 0.5 tap.

Thank you very much

Stew Robinson"
Info @LeislB
Oh hell, my husband placed the order already, I hope he's getting the right one!

So they can't get the right one. Only have 7 x 0.75. Luckily they phoned before shipping.

Back