Eleaf Basal - Review

Hooked

Vapin' up a Storm
LV

Awards
I've finally got around to this - a great procrastinator am I! :rolleyes:

I first saw this mod on the Internet and it was love at first sight. I posted on the forum asking who has stock and The Vape Guy saved the day. The mod was new on the market and hadn’t arrived in SA yet, but Bumblebee made a point of ordering it for me. Thank you, @BumbleBee!

I'll start with my likes/dislikes, with pics where relevant. I'll give the specs at the end.

What I like about it

I’ve been using this mod for about a month now, so we’re past the honeymoon stage – and I’m still in love! This is the most elegant mod I’ve ever seen. Thin and classy – everything that I aspire to be. It would be completely out of place at a braai, but quite at home in a fancy restaurant.

One side is smooth, but the other has a grooved, whirled pattern which catches the light – and changes depending on the light. Here’s a some pics to show you what I mean.

Beautiful_4.jpg

Beautiful_2.jpg

Beautiful_1.jpg

Beautiful_3.jpg

It’s very light and comfortable in the hand.
The draw is good; the flavour is good.
The battery lasts me about 8 hours of more or less continuous vaping.
I also love the narrow drip-tip!

Now here's a clever thing - the slot for the charger cable is underneath the mod, which means that you have to lie the mod flat when charging. At first I thought it was silly, but it isn't, because this mod can topple over quite easily!

Charger slot.jpg

What I dislike

Bottom-fill, which I can live with, but I prefer a top-fill

The airflow ring is rather difficult to adjust. As you can see from the pic below, it’s narrowly wedged just under the tank. I have difficulty adjusting it – and I have small fingers. Unfortunately when I remove the tank to refill, I often move the airflow ring as well, so it can’t just be kept the one that one wants it to be. In addition, when replacing the tank if I screw it back on too tightly, the airflow ring won’t budge at all.

Airflow setting.jpg

Because this mod is so thin, it isn’t too stable when standing upright and one must take care not to knock it over.

There's a design flaw:
The tank looks top-heavy and ever-so-slightly wider than the mod. Not that there’s an overhang – it just appears to be wider and it bothers me a bit. To me, the problem is with the glass part of the tank. The device could have been slightly wider to accommodate this. I don't know if you can see what I mean in the pic below.

Top heavy.jpg

EDIT: forgot to include Specs - here they are:
Eleaf BASAL MTL Mod Kit Specs:

Dimensions: 76.3 x 36.6 x 15.0mm
Output Mode: VV/VW
Output Wattage: 1 – 30W
Maximum Charging Current: 2A
Built-In 1,500mAh battery
15mm Ultra-Thin Box Design
Portable and Easy to Use
Efficient Charging
Spring-Loaded 510 Connection
Over-Charging Protection
Over-Current Protection
Over-Discharging Protection

Eleaf GS BASAL Tank Specs:
Dimensions: 15 x 56.3mm
Resistance Range: 0.6 – 3.0ohm
1.8ml E-liquid Capacity
Refined Airflow Control System
Optimized for MTL Vaping
Durable Stainless Steel Construction
Easy to Reassemble and Clean
New GS Air Coils
GS Air 0.75ohm Coil Head (8-25W)
GS Air 1.5ohm Coil Head (8-20W)
510 Threaded

Eleaf BASAL MTL Mod Kit Contents:
1x Eleaf BASAL Mod
1x Eleaf BASAL Tank
1x 0.75ohm GS Air Coil

In conclusion, I love this mod and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your views @Hooked
Always great to hear real feedback after a month of use.
Thanks for the efforts and the photos!

Have moved this thread to the relevant reviews subcategory

Thanks for sharing your views @Hooked
Always great to hear real feedback after a month of use.
Thanks for the efforts and the photos!

Have moved this thread to the relevant reviews subcategory

Oh woe is me @Silver, I try to post in the right place but I think my filing system is not the same as yours lol. Where have you moved it to? I'll make a note for next time!

Oh woe is me @Silver, I try to post in the right place but I think my filing system is not the same as yours lol. Where have you moved it to? I'll make a note for next time!

Lol, your filing system versus ours.
Don't worry - we just using the forum filing system ;-)
And its filed in the right place.

Under Reviews, you will see Hardware Reviews - then inside that there are various categories. This one is Electronic Mods.

I can see why some folk miss these subforums because they are one level down - we may need to work on a different filing system in future - but for now its ok

Great review @Hooked. Even prettier in real life. If only the atomizer came in the same colour as the mod!

@Yes you're right about the atomizer. And I also wanted to mention something - remember we thought the flavour was rather muted? Perhaps it was just taking a long time to prime, as the next day it was perfect!

Back