Evod (bottom Coils)

BhavZ

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
Hey guys,

So wanted an opinion and advice since I have been hearing conflicting opinions floating around.

The little gasket that sits above the "flavour" wicks in evod/protank/rev tank atty, is it an issue if removed or should it be kept on?

If it should be kept on, what is its function?

Thanks,
Bhavz

Welcome to the forum. If you keeping the tank upright all the time you can take it out if not leave it in or turn it around. You can't turn it around on the rev tank or protank mini though so I cut the skirt off mine to make what is essentially a silicone washer. If you need pics I can post some when I get home. My tanks leaked when taking it out but I'm on the road and it lays in the cubby and is carried in the pocket. This solution worked for me but experiment and see what works for you thats half the fun anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

You are talking about the rubber\silicone gasket right? That sits on the post?

If so yes it will. Your tank will leak.

My evod tank started leaking today after I cleaned it last night. Will check the rubber seal tonight.

I thought I might have dislodged the flavour Wick a bit. If the flavour Wick isn't a tight fit, won't it leak aswell?

@Tornalca when u replace a Wick, is it ever burnt? My one liquid seems to be causing a burnt taste. Replaced the coil and it's fine for a few hrs then get that taste again.

@Tornalca when u replace a Wick, is it ever burnt? My one liquid seems to be causing a burnt taste. Replaced the coil and it's fine for a few hrs then get that taste again.

Yes a slight burn but not heavily. I have had a lot of issues with them. Not one is built the same. What is the ohm on the coil? What are you vaping on and @ what VV/VW?

A few dry vapes usually helps to wick it properly. Just take 2 -3 vapes on it without pushing the button. It can also be that there is too much flavour wick so you can remove one of them and try. Some people say they remove it completely, in my experience doing that I have flooding and gurgling issues. What is the juice? PG/VG ratio?

You going to be at the Vape meet? I will have a look for you then?

Thanks guys for all the advice

i gave up on my evod :(

maybe one day when im bored ill attempt to fix it.

its been with me since day one of my vaping journey so it has sentimental value.

Standard evod coils are horrible. Rebuild those suckers and all your worries will be over

I would love to start rebuilding but the intial out late for the equipment is a bit much, the tankometer, ohm meter etc.. but definitely worth the effort. I know RiP Trippers on the tube of you has some really cool and detailed videos on how to build your own coils, I especially like the coil he calls the chimney that he built on the Kayfun Lite.

Its easy, you don't need all the fancy gear.
2mm silica, 28g Kanthal, tweezers and nail clippers. 8 wraps around a 3mm drill bit. Fold you silica double and pull it through with some dental floss or excess kanthal wire and you have a 1.6ohm coil that makes more vapour and very nice flavour.

Mine worked great for a month with turning the silicone tube around. Since this morning it tastes burned. Dropped the watts to 3.0 on the 2.6ohm coil and the first drag is good but the second is cr@p. Changed coils and still the same. I have to let it stand for awhile before I can take a single vape and then leave it for a minute before I can vape again.
Seems like the coil takes too long to get soaked in the liquid. Perhaps the coil is too tight on the wick restricting the flow.

Its easy, you don't need all the fancy gear.
2mm silica, 28g Kanthal, tweezers and nail clippers. 8 wraps around a 3mm drill bit. Fold you silica double and pull it through with some dental floss or excess kanthal wire and you have a 1.6ohm coil that makes more vapour and very nice flavour.

Dude you make it sound so easy, ok I am definitely going to give it a try..

thanks, that would be awesome

I would recomend a multimeter, it doesn't have to be an expensive one just to get an idea of the ohms the coil is at and to check for shorts.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Cool, will check with the local electrical shop on what he has.
Thanks.

Ok here are some pics. (excuse the dirty paper towel. Its my last piece :) )

Stripped and cleaned evod coil with piece of kanthal and silica

I wrapped the coil with 7 wraps cause I like it at about 1.3 to 1.4 ohms. You can try 8 to 9 wraps if you like it higher.

I folded the wick double and pulled it through the coil.

I then seated the wick and coil quite low into the cup

Side view

Choose one lead and feed it through the rubber grommet and push the grommet into the base of the cup
Then push the steel pin into the grommet. Make sure the leads are on opposite sides of each other so they don't touch each other going through the cup and grommet.
You can then use the tweezers to pull each lead to help pull the coil into the cup if it moved while placing the grommet.

Trim your wick with nail clippers. At this point I screwed the evod coil into its base without the top post on and gave
it a few pulses while it was on the battery. I watched to see if the coil got hot from the middle and not on the leads.

Push top post onto coil and you are done.

Cool, will check with the local electrical shop on what he has.
Thanks.

You can buy a multi meter from midas for less than R100. Then you can use it for voltage and current aswell.
No need for an expensive vape ohmeter. Don't go to the electrical suppliers, they'll probably have expensive ones

Shot SVS. Thanks for that. Must try it but will turn the silicone tube around. The way you got it, it will squeeze down over the wick when you screw the tank on. The other way round will prevent this but still prevent leakage between the 2 shafts.

Yes a slight burn but not heavily. I have had a lot of issues with them. Not one is built the same. What is the ohm on the coil? What are you vaping on and @ what VV/VW?

A few dry vapes usually helps to wick it properly. Just take 2 -3 vapes on it without pushing the button. It can also be that there is too much flavour wick so you can remove one of them and try. Some people say they remove it completely, in my experience doing that I have flooding and gurgling issues. What is the juice? PG/VG ratio?

You going to be at the Vape meet? I will have a look for you then?

The burning was coming from my mini protank 2... 1.8ohm. Was using it at 10W on my SVD but now I set it down to 8W and burning taste gone, less vape and taste but at least no burning (Doh, I shouldve tried that.lol)

Not sure on the PG/VG ratio, was given the juice in an unmarked bottle but I'm assuming its mostly VG as it produces dense vapour. It is also dark in colour which ive heard chows the coils.

Im in East London so a bit far away for the Vape meet but thanks for the offer!

The burning was coming from my mini protank 2... 1.8ohm. Was using it at 10W on my SVD but now I set it down to 8W and burning taste gone, less vape and taste but at least no burning (Doh, I shouldve tried that.lol)

Not sure on the PG/VG ratio, was given the juice in an unmarked bottle but I'm assuming its mostly VG as it produces dense vapour. It is also dark in colour which ive heard chows the coils.

Im in East London so a bit far away for the Vape meet but thanks for the offer!
Yip, that is pushing it a bit. See attached chart.
w04Emhg.jpg

Yip, that is pushing it a bit. See attached chart.
w04Emhg.jpg
So basically anything more than 8.5W is not recommended... Eish

Some juices I can vape at 15W with no burning at all but this mix seems to not like it.

Thanks for the info!

Got tired of the burned taste so tried to pull out the wick. Only a few strands came out so put it back together. Vaped and voila. No more bad taste. Must be too tight and restricting flow.

Back