Evod (bottom Coils)

8W gives almost no flavour, 9W gives burnt taste!

Awesome photos @SVS1000 !

Just attempted a micro coil on an old EVOD atty. 30 Gauge Kanthal, 5/6 wraps around 2mm shaft. Quadruple silica wick, and one flavour wick

Came out at 1 ohm, Vapes beautifully at 11.5 w :)

Ok here are some pics. (excuse the dirty paper towel. Its my last piece :) )

Stripped and cleaned evod coil with piece of kanthal and silica

I wrapped the coil with 7 wraps cause I like it at about 1.3 to 1.4 ohms. You can try 8 to 9 wraps if you like it higher.

I folded the wick double and pulled it through the coil.

I then seated the wick and coil quite low into the cup

Side view

Choose one lead and feed it through the rubber grommet and push the grommet into the base of the cup
Then push the steel pin into the grommet. Make sure the leads are on opposite sides of each other so they don't touch each other going through the cup and grommet.
You can then use the tweezers to pull each lead to help pull the coil into the cup if it moved while placing the grommet.

Trim your wick with nail clippers. At this point I screwed the evod coil into its base without the top post on and gave
it a few pulses while it was on the battery. I watched to see if the coil got hot from the middle and not on the leads.

Push top post onto coil and you are done.

Excellent tutorial SVS. Thanks. Loved the photos. Textbook material!

I did this one a while ago
New coil in.jpg New Coil Thru.jpg New coil with cotton.jpg

A few notes:

1. Packing the cotton is a pita
2. If you dryburn the coil when changing flavours or replacing cotton you run the risk of burning the rubber grommet in the bottom (that smell hangs around that coil forever once the grommet burns toss it)
3. Packing the cotton is a pita
4. It leaks and gurgles if you don't pack the cotton tight enough
5. Packing the cotton is a pita
6. It really vapes like a champ if you get it right (which for me wasn't often)
7. Packing the cotton is a pita

Its a fun build but for me wasn't worth the lass. Did I mention that packing the cotton is a pita.

My fix for PT2 and Rev tank
Been using the same "washer" on different coils for a over month now no gurgles no leaks

20140130_230715.jpg

Thanks SVS, that guide will definitely help me with building a new coil and I have an old burnt out evod coil lying around so keen to give it a try soon.

@Shane, thanks for the tip, there is a midas around the corner from me so will pop in there and see what they got.

Check this link:
http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/rebuildable-supplies/pre-made-joined-resistance-no-resistance-wires

Apparently you can get resistance/no resistance wire, which helps stop the burnt rubber taste. Apparently this is what Kanger uses?

Full forum discussion here:

http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Protank-and-Evod-rebuilding?page=8

I don't know if kanger uses nr/r/nr wire it doesn't look like it from the coils I pull apart but I could be wrong. I know at some stage they where going to make the rubber grommet a silicon grommet. I found that I was setting the coils to low down in the cup, having the coil a bit higher improved things.

@SVS1000 is that post from a protank coil?

the normal evod ones are alot shorter

+ 1 on that , long posts are standard now for all coils .

does it make any difference in how the tank performs?

Personally I don't think it should. I have noticed some coils vape well in the PT2, and others don't. Why this is, I have no idea

I don't notice a difference and I interchange them all the time. Then again wasn't looking for a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

IMO there is a slightly better draw and a lot less liquid in your mouth especially when the liquid runs low

on the topic of the protank.

ive got a protank 1 and just recently, i could turn the glass tank. like it rotates.

is anyone elses like this? this never happened before, and since it could rotate my juice is leaking like a mofo.

on the topic of the protank.

ive got a protank 1 and just recently, i could turn the glass tank. like it rotates.

is anyone elses like this? this never happened before, and since it could rotate my juice is leaking like a mofo.

That would be the glue giving up the ghost. Some guys take it apart completely and epoxy the thing together again. I'm not brave enough to do that don't know what epoxy is safe and how it reacts to juice.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

yarre man

but the epoxy will probably be on the outside of the tank? between the glass tank and the metal?

so the epoxy wont touch the juice

Just figured out where my evod tank is leaking from. It's the top section, below/inside of the drip tip.
I'm pretty certain of this... If I leave it upright them it's fine but put it upside down with no coil section and it drips slowly.

Anyone managed to repair this?

28g On a 3 mm drill bit 6/7 wraps 1.6ohms
i want to check this out in the next few days, got interested after seeing you at the vapemeet with an Evod although you have all the other gear. I have not touched my Evods again. But it makes sense to rebuild the coils to slightly lower ohms.

Back