First Coil

Just to make sure I understand y'all correctly. You are all not talking about a micro coil, which always requires a mandrel (be it a tooth pick, paperclip, drill bit, etc) and the wraps to be touching? You are referring to a coil where the wraps are not touching and where, traditionally, one would wrap directly onto the wicking material?
I was refering to the traditional method. I would use the paperclip as a guidance for that method, a lot of people on the german forums do it that way. However I found that I can do it without guidance, so no need for it here ;)

@Spiri Nice work. How do you find ribbon compared to round wire? Better flavour or vaper? I have some Nichome ribbon but haven't tried it yet.
Thanks @Gazzacpt, I feel like the flat ribbon gives me a slight bit more flavour and vapour compared to regular round Kanthal on the coils I'm doing.
The 0.1 x 0.4mm ribbon im using is the equivalent to 32 gua Kanthal, so I get more surface area with the ribbon for the same amount of wraps that I would be doing with round Kanthal.
It is however a little fiddly to get the ribbon to stay put under the screws when you start tightening them, I just do a full wrap around the screw to make it a little easier.

Last edited:
Thanks @Gazzacpt, I feel like the flat ribbon gives me a slight bit more flavour and vapour compared to regular round Kanthal on the coils I'm doing.
The 0.1 x 0.4mm ribbon im using is the equivalent to 32 gua Kanthal, so I get more surface area with the ribbon for the same amount of wraps that I would be doing with round Kanthal.
It is however a little fiddly to get the ribbon to stay put under the screws when you start tightening them, I just do a full wrap around the srew to make it a little easier.

Thanks @Spiri one day when I'm feeling brave I'll give it a shot the trident has slots so I shouldn't have the the tie down problem.

Super stuff @Spiri !
Loved your step by step "guide" and your photos were great.
Thanks

Enjoy it. I assume it will only get better from here.

I may have missed it but what power were you vaping it at?
Also, how was the throat hit with the 6mg juice?
Thanks @Silver1, It was good fun to coil and document the procedure.
I'm vaping it at 9,5 watts which I feel is the sweet-spot on the coil and setup I'm using.
The 6mg was a little harsh for about half a day, but only because I have been vaping 6mg on all my other tanks for the past 3 months.
I actually had some cold sweats and had to sit down now and again. These Kayfun's are way better on the nicotine delivery than I thought it would be.
The Coil mellowed after about an hour of use and the vape was not so hot anymore. And once I got over the initial kick of the nicotine I could actually enjoy the vape.
I had a bit of a bender over the weekend with @RevnLucky7 and was actually surprised to see him favouring my setup (I think it was my coil lolz) over his own.
I'm very impressed with the intense flavour and thick vapour of the Kayfun. Yum fun!
WP_20140208_009.jpg

Last edited:
Kayfuns ftw :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Lovely @Spiri

After my cold sweating experience at the VapeMeet on my Kayfun, I have let it lie for a while. It will come out when I feel adventurous and have a bit more time...

Also, mine leaked quite a bit at the Vape Meet so I guess I am gonna have to spend some time figuring that out and time is not on my side now....

Lovely @Spiri

After my cold sweating experience at the VapeMeet on my Kayfun, I have let it lie for a while. It will come out when I feel adventurous and have a bit more time...

Also, mine leaked quite a bit at the Vape Meet so I guess I am gonna have to spend some time figuring that out and time is not on my side now....
Mine also leaks @Silver1 . It's through the fill hole. I pjammed some prestic in there and now it works and no leaking.

Lovely @Spiri

try the filling from the top, and turning upside down to tighten the top cap. Its described in the thread "Kayfun filling techniques"

Mine also leaks @Silver1 . It's through the fill hole. I pjammed some prestic in there and now it works and no leaking.
the real McCoySvoemoesto has an O Ring on the screw for the filling hole. Is that also on yours?

Thanks @Tom and @TylerD forcthe advice. Will check it all out when i have the time

the real McCoySvoemoesto has an O Ring on the screw for the filling hole. Is that also on yours?
With the 3.1 you have that side entry fill hole. Works a bit strange. Keeps on leaking out there. Since I have plugged it, it is working a charm. Filling from the top like you described.

My first unsupervised coil

The first one I did I had a master coiler (@TylerD) supervising me at our vape meet. This coil I did all by myself ;-)

It came out well and the vape is really good. I am very pleased.
It's on an IGO-L.

Kanthal 28g wire
ID: not sure but approx 2mm. I made use of @TylerD's trick of using a small screwdriver. Makes it easier to wind the coil while holding it and also helps to get it into position in the device.
10 wraps
Came out at 1.7 ohms. Slightly higher than the 1.6 ohm coil I built under supervision with @TylerD.
Wicked with cotton.

For this, I tried to position the coil quite close to the posts and fairly high up. I was trying to get more throat hit. Thanks @Matthee for the pointers. It worked. The throat hit is very good. After building it, I discovered it was a bit too high and not aligned with the air hole, so I gently moved the coil a bit down.

Juice is none other than 5Pawns Bowdens Mate. Heaven for me on this dripper. Using the SVD at 12.5 watts.

Coil1.jpg
Ohm meter is a great base to work on. Thanks for that tip a while back @Matthee

Coil2.jpg
Nicely firing. Used @TylerD's advice of the tweezer squeeze to get the coils tight together.

Coil3.jpg
Wicked and lubed up. Cotton not too tight before putting juice on. Just a bit of resistance when pulling in either direction.

Coil4.jpg
I was trying to get closer to the posts than to the edge of the device - going for more throat hit. I probably could have gotten closer to the posts though. But the throat hit is great.

I welcome any comments and suggestions.

What do you think I should do for my next build?
- Lower resistance - say down to 1.3 - but on the SVD, will that make much of a difference at the same power setting? If I were to go lower resistance do you suggest a smaller ID or the same ID with fewer wraps?
- Try go closer to the posts for more throat hit?

@Tom, I know you once said try go as close to the edge as possible. To get the coil as close to the airhole as possible. But my understanding is that improves the flavour. This thing has great flavour anyway so I am willing to sacrifice a bit of flavour for more throat hit. I am keen to try that though in any event to see if I can perceive the difference.

The first one I did I had a master coiler (@TylerD) supervising me at our vape meet. This coil I did all by myself ;-)

It's on an IGO-L.

Kanthal 28g wire
ID: not sure but approx 2mm. I made use of @TylerD's trick of using a small screwdriver. Makes it easier to wind the coil while holding it and also helps to get it into position in the device.
10 wraps
Came out at 1.7 ohms. Slightly higher than the 1.6 ohm coil I built under supervision with @TylerD.
Wicked with cotton.

For this, I tried to position the coil quite close to the posts and fairly high up. I was trying to get more throat hit. Thanks @Matthee for the pointers. It worked. The throat hit is very good. After building it, I discovered it was a bit too high and not aligned with the air hole, so I gently moved the coil a bit down.

Juice is none other than 5Pawns Bowdens Mate. Heaven for me on this dripper. Using the SVD at 12.5 watts.

View attachment 1528

View attachment 1529
Nicely firing. Used @TylerD's advice of the tweezer squeeze to get the coils tight together.

View attachment 1530
Wicked and lubed up. Cotton not too tight before putting juice on. Just a bit of resistance when pulling in either direction.

View attachment 1531
I was trying to get closer to the posts than to the edge of the device - going for more throat hit. I probably could have gotten closer to the posts though. But the throat hit is great.

- Lower resistance - say down to 1.3 - but on the SVD, will that make much of a difference at the same power setting? If I were to go lower resistance do you suggest a smaller ID or the same ID with fewer wraps?

@Tom, I know you once said try go as close to the edge as possible. To get the coil as close to the airhole as possible. But my understanding is that improves the flavour. This thing has great flavour anyway so I am willing to sacrifice a bit of flavour for more throat hit. I am keen to try that though in any event to see if I can perceive the difference.
Great job. You might find that the coil will heat up faster, if you go down to 1.4 or so, otherwise, that's perfect!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Thanks @SunRam, that's a good point, didn't think of that.
I do tend to press the fire button for about a half second before taking the first drag. So you are right, it takes a bit of time to heat up.

What I find is that my second drag is usually the more pleasing "knock me out throat hit" one. I suppose the coil is already quite hot after the first drag so the second one heats it up much quicker.

1.4 ohms here we come...

Thanks @SunRam, that's a good point, didn't think of that.
I do tend to press the fire button for about a half second before taking the first drag. So you are right, it takes a bit of time to heat up.

What I find is that my second drag is usually the more pleasing "knock me out throat hit" one. I suppose the coil is already quite hot after the first drag so the second one heats it up much quicker.

1.4 ohms here we come...
That's exactly right, the second hit is always warmer. But we're really nitpicking here, nothing wrong with that coil.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

LOL, thanks - I am actually so chuffed it turned out well and the vape experience very good.
Can only get better - thanks for your comments

LOL, thanks - I am actually so chuffed it turned out well and the vape experience very good.
And you should be! That's an awesome 1st coil @Silver1 ! Like @SunRam said, I would go to 1.2-1.4 for the SVD and it should heat up nice and fast.
I'm glad you got to making your own coil, and I am sure it is very rewarding firing your own coil.
Awesome stuff!

That is a superb first coil, most excellently done, @Silver. And the best of memory remembering all those tips and stuff. From here on it will be a breeze. Enjoy.

Many thanks @TylerD and @Matthee. You guys have helped me so much along the way! So too have many other people on this forum. Actually, without this forum there is no ways I'd be enjoying the vape I am now.

LOL, Reoville is a place I would like to graduate to, not just stop at ;-)

I think I need a few more coils under my belt then I will feel better. Also I want to short my coil out on the deck to fully appreciate the ceramic deck of the REO ;-)

It's on an IGO-L.

Kanthal 28g wire
10 wraps
Wicked with cotton.

View attachment 1528

View attachment 1529

View attachment 1530

View attachment 1531

Nice going @Silver1 you are a pro already. Took me a bit of tweaking to find my happy place but its loads of fun, wire and cotton are cheap so keep building and trying new things.

good job! welcome to coilbuilders academy :)

Yup . Well done there . Nice first coil ..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back