First Corona Virus case confirmed in SA.

That's my lockdown boredom sorted for this time next week!

Screenshot (279).png

Exactly what you said @Silver Was watching a press release and one of the overseas Prime Ministers said one of the best things we could do now to help is act/believe that everyone around you is infected. Sad, scary and many would say drastic but ignorance could lead to that reality![/USER]

If you stay at home and get food delivered (not so convenient because delivery lead times are long) then you dont need to come into contact with anyone else. And when the delivery arrives, you just stand back

But if you go out then I think it becomes more tricky

To add...just make sure you reheat your take away as well! The excessive heat will kill off any germs/virus
Sure i read somewhere a while back hot curries and Chile dishes also do the job! All that research into a vaccine when we can simply order a Vindaloo!:firedevil::flamethrower2:

UK latest figures released for period 5pm Wednesday to 5pm Thursday, 188 deaths in 24hr period, at current trend in a weeks time it will be over 1000 in a day!

Saying that the average age of people in Italy is 79.8 years doesn’t mean that there will be youngsters affected at all but there will be a few cases here and there. For instance, a small child died from Covid19 in France and the media was only talking about that case... the most vulnerable population will still remain the elderly with heavy medical conditions.
50 to 70% of the population are going to contract the infection at some point in time. It’s about time that we realize that every second person is going to have it and that if you’re ok then the person sitting next to you is most likely infected so behave bearing that in mind!

If you stay at home and get food delivered (not so convenient because delivery lead times are long) then you dont need to come into contact with anyone else. And when the delivery arrives, you just stand back

But if you go out then I think it becomes more tricky
Who delivers food ?

Who delivers food ?

Pick n Pay and Woolies
But as I say, lead times are now quite long, about 2 weeks for Woolies
Hopefully it will come down soon

Just a question for those in the know

How many high care / ICU beds do we have in SA in total?
How many confirmed Coronavirus cases do we need before we run out of space?

Are my estimates wrong here?
If we get 80k cases and say 5% need high care or ICU, then that’s 4,000 required
Do we have 4,000 unused spots at the moment?

Scary stuff especially if you have elderly people in the family or people with pre-existing conditions.

Last edited:
Well I forsee the numbers are still going to escalate - people here just cruize the street and have little Imbizo's
on the corners , so if it don't work in s/burbs what about squatter camps , think they will sit in their little houses? And its only day 1 -anybody have a number to report incidents to ?

Ask your local N/Watch or local SAPS who to report to. We had two people walking their dogs this morning and they were reported to our one and only local SAPS officer, who came hurtling down the road at top speed. A pic was also taken of them and posted on our local FB groups! People here are keeping a beady eye on the streets :-D.

How many confirmed cases do we need before we run out of space?

If we get 80k cases and say 5% need high care or ICU, then that’s 4,000 required

Scary stuff especially if you have elderly people in the family or people with pre-existing conditions.
I’m not in the know but this was an article published about 7 days ago.

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-beds-available-and-it-is-not-enough-20200320

This is scary, and to see how people are behaving is atrocious, just watched a unsubstantiated video from Spain stating that anyone critical with Covid19 that is over 65 is being taken off ventilators and sedated until they pass, to use them for younger patients with a better chance. My heart goes out to them, words cannot describe the feeling I have. Think what is going to happen here when it hits the fan fully.

My mother is 76 and living with me, ...............

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-beds-available-and-it-is-not-enough-20200320

This is scary, and to see how people are behaving is atrocious, just watched a unsubstantiated video from Spain stating that anyone critical with Covid19 that is over 65 is being taken off ventilators and sedated until they pass, to use them for younger patients with a better chance. My heart goes out to them, words cannot describe the feeling I have. Think what is going to happen here when it hits the fan fully.

Keep her close bro.

Did anyone else hear the recent theory about this pandemic.
That it was a failed experiment involving soldiers ???

@Silver I was told by someone whose family member is Head of XXX at a hospital, that there are only 5,000 ICU beds available throughout South Africa .

EDIT: Although this isn't relevant to your question, the Head of XXX also said that they have discharged patients who should not have been discharged, so as to free up beds and staff.

Last edited:

Take extra, extra care when you go out @Room Fogger, so as to protect her as much as possible. I've also heard of what is happening in Spain and that the doctors have to play G-d, deciding who is going to live or die. Think of the trauma the doctors must be going through, having to make those decisions!

Many thanks @Room Fogger , that article was super
Gives a good idea
So there may be 5000 icu and high care beds, but the question is how many of those are available
So if it’s 3,000 as the article refers to and that correlates with @Hooked ’s contact’s 5,000 (thanks for that too Hooked), then if 5% need this sort of care, we would need to hit around 60,000 cases for there to be big problems

We on 1,000 or so now
And last I checked it was compounding at about 30% per day.
So if that sort of rate continues, we would reach 60,000 in about 16 days time

Let’s just pray the lockdown can slow this down radically

Yikes, when you look at the numbers it’s so scary!

All I know is I would not like to be needing high care or icu in a few week’s time :eek:

PS - I suppose the extra worry is that the 1,000 cases we have now are just of those that have been tested. There are probably way more than that who are infected at present. I.e the true cases. So we could reach crunch time from a capacity point of view much earlier than 16 days. Oh my word.

PPS - pray the lockdown works

On a previous post I showed hou played with numbers and at a very light infection rate Centurion will be about 10k beds short. The current hospitals in the area can maybe squeeze out 1k beds without any other cases apart from Covid-19. We didn't even go as far as ICU beds. At this stage we need to look at how many hospital tents the military needs to erect. And after what we've been seeing this week with the shops overcrowded and parties being held in townships I would not be surprised if we reach 20% by next weekend.

Start getting that old camping mattress out thats been lying in the garage. They might call for donations.

Many thanks @Room Fogger , that article was super
Gives a good idea
So there may be 5000 icu and high care beds, but the question is how many of those are available
So if it’s 3,000 as the article refers to and that correlates with @Hooked ’s contact’s 5,000 (thanks for that too Hooked), then if 5% need this sort of care, we would need to hit around 60,000 cases for there to be big problems

We on 1,000 or so now
And last I checked it was compounding at about 30% per day.
So if that sort of rate continues, we would reach 60,000 in about 16 days time

Let’s just pray the lockdown can slow this down radically

Yikes, when you look at the numbers it’s so scary!

All I know is I would not like to be needing high care or icu in a few week’s time :eek:

PS - I suppose the extra worry is that the 1,000 cases we have now are just of those that have been tested. There are probably way more than that who are infected at present. I.e the true cases. So we could reach crunch time from a capacity point of view much earlier than 16 days. Oh my word.

PPS - pray the lockdown works

@Silver I've been keeping a record, but I started only on 22 March (the first case was reported on 5 March.) Neverthelss , this is what the figures show so far, if my calculations are correct.

EDIT: For those who don't read Excel, in the past 6 days, cases have increased on average of 34% per day. The average overall increase from 22 March to 27 March has been 235%

upload_2020-3-27_21-35-2.png

On a previous post I showed hou played with numbers and at a very light infection rate Centurion will be about 10k beds short. The current hospitals in the area can maybe squeeze out 1k beds without any other cases apart from Covid-19. We didn't even go as far as ICU beds. At this stage we need to look at how many hospital tents the military needs to erect. And after what we've been seeing this week with the shops overcrowded and parties being held in townships I would not be surprised if we reach 20% by next weekend.

Start getting that old camping mattress out thats been lying in the garage. They might call for donations.

Thanks @Adephi, truly scary
Bottom line is stay at home , don’t become one of those that might need hospital

@Silver I've been keeping a record, but I started only on 22 March (the first case was reported on 5 March.) Neverthelss , this is what the figures show so far, if my calculations are correct.

EDIT: For those who don't read Excel, in the past 6 days, cases have increased on average of 34% per day. The average overall increase from 22 March to 27 March has been 235%

View attachment 192994

Thanks @Hooked
That 17% growth on 27 March is a good figure because it’s well below the growths of previous days
But I suspect there are piles and piles of tests that are still queueing up to be done, so let’s see in the coming days what happens

Take extra, extra care when you go out @Room Fogger, so as to protect her as much as possible. I've also heard of what is happening in Spain and that the doctors have to play G-d, deciding who is going to live or die. Think of the trauma the doctors must be going through, having to make those decisions!
I’m glad I’m not in the position they are, but the same may have to happen here soon for our medical staff if people don’t start taking this seriously.

Not planning any excursions specifically for these reasons @Hooked , :couch: know I may have to go once certain supplies run low, but we’re making do with what we could afford to get at this stage, mostly next months groceries bought early and spare toilet paper :D If I had my way will not leave for full 21 days, barring any emergency that may pop up, let’s hope more people wake up and do the same. Luckily my sons are here, and they seem to have inherited some sense as they have both said well rather do without than to go look for trouble. Stay safe everyone, we only get one chance!

View attachment 192994

Very roughly increase by double every 2-3 days. That's in line with New York.

The 28 year old I hear was experiencing a pre-existing lung clotting condition.

One of the fatalities was a nurse in the Corona ward at Tygerberg hospital.

Not sure if the nurse was the 40 odd year old or the pre ill 28 year old.

I've also read that it's been highly advised to avoid ibuprofen as it has the potential to exacerbate symptoms.

Can't confirm these as fact so do some research if you'd like.

Back