First Corona Virus case confirmed in SA.

The 28 year old I hear was experiencing a pre-existing lung clotting condition.

One of the fatalities was a nurse in the Corona ward at Tygerberg hospital.

Not sure if the nurse was the 40 odd year old or the pre ill 28 year old.

I've also read that it's been highly advised to avoid ibuprofen as it has the potential to exacerbate symptoms.

Can't confirm these as fact so do some research if you'd like.
Avoid anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen and do not take prednisone unless prescribed by your treating Dr. Stick to paracetamol.

I have another question which I see very little written about in the articles I have seen

If someone gets Coronavirus and then recovers, are they then immune to getting it again? And is it correct they cannot transmit the virus once they are fully recovered?

Reason I ask this is that those that have recovered are ideal to serve to help communities with a whole range of things. Worldwide, many have probably lost jobs, so those who have recovered could maybe help out with support efforts for a while ? Or are those people just sitting at home upset with everything? In a way, these folk are valuable “immune soldiers” that could help in some way based on their experience and profession.

Not seeing anything about this or am I missing something?

@Silver unfortunately I don't think so bud. No one is immune to this right now before or after contraction. Or rather unknown for now. Many cases overseas of people getting the virus again after recovering from first contraction. I assume if someone built immunities to this virus after first contraction we would also be much much closer to a vaccine but we not. :(

I have another question which I see very little written about in the articles I have seen

If someone gets Coronavirus and then recovers, are they then immune to getting it again? And is it correct they cannot transmit the virus once they are fully recovered?

Reason I ask this is that those that have recovered are ideal to serve to help communities with a whole range of things. Worldwide, many have probably lost jobs, so those who have recovered could maybe help out with support efforts for a while ? Or are those people just sitting at home upset with everything? In a way, these folk are valuable “immune soldiers” that could help in some way based on their experience and profession.

Some unverifiable website claim that monkeys infected with the virus were immune after being originally infected and other websites claimed 2 people from Wuhan were reinfected. but I don't trust the credibility of either website.

Found nothing on the topic from the WHO.

Found this on the CDC website:
Q: Can people who recover from COVID-19 be infected again?

A: The immune response to COVID-19 is not yet understood. Patients with MERS-CoV infection are unlikely to be re-infected shortly after they recover, but it is not yet known whether similar immune protection will be observed for patients with COVID-19.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/faq.html

and apart from "news" articles, no further scientific mention of it. Seems the world has not reached a consensus on the matter of reinfection yet

Thanks @Ruwaid and @Dela Rey Steyn

This is very disturbing.

If those who recover from Corona don’t build immunity straight away then the numbers and projections of this pandemic are more complex and potentially way more disastrous.

Here's an interview Trevor did with one of Trump's advisors. Not that Trump always listens.

The topic starts at 10:40.

Basically there's no 100% certainty about it because theres no official study done on it. But if we go by previous studies on corona viruses then there should be some form of immunity.

I seriously hope there is otherwise a vaccine won't do anything.

Once you recover you are still contagious for some time, up to 2 weeks (to be on the safe side). We do acquire immunity to the virus but the question we still have no answer to is how long does it last? Most of e experts agree that it should last you a few months. But! Like everything else in nature there are extremes which may explain the few @ Ruwaid relapse cases. Other things may explain those relapses like false positive results which are inherent to the technique....
We are betting our future on this as everyone is waiting for that point in time where herd immunity is acquired so that the disease is “naturally” contained.

Once you recover you are still contagious for some time, up to 2 weeks (to be on the safe side). We do acquire immunity to the virus but the question we still have no answer to is how long does it last? Most of e experts agree that it should last you a few months. But! Like everything else in nature there are extremes which may explain the few @ Ruwaid relapse cases. Other things may explain those relapses like false positive results which are inherent to the technique....
We are betting our future on this as everyone is waiting for that point in time where herd immunity is acquired so that the disease is “naturally” contained.
But that's the problem different information is being given country to country, from expert to expert etc. We have been told 7 days incubation so [people will have it for 7 days before showing symptoms so hopefully they have been following distancing guidelines and not infected half their neighbourhood directly or indirectly and a further 7 days once symptoms show, if living with anyone who shows symptoms they are suppose to self isolate for a full 14 days to cover the complete period as some people don't have symptoms but act as carriers. Also we are being told the vast majority will only get it once but a few have caught it a second time but this is a low percentage. Even if immune, people can still touch the virus on surfaces get coughed on etc and then touch things themselves to pass the virus on as it's living on them even if immune, they are now saying in the UK it could be 18 months before normality with ups and downs but when all over the way people travel, eat, economies, and even capitalism it'self would of changed forever, the world will be much poorer but some are predicting fairer!

Last edited:
But that's the problem different information is being given country to country, from expert to expert etc. We have been told 7 days incubation so [people will have it for 7 days before showing symptoms so hopefully they have been following distancing guidelines and not infected half their neighbourhood directly or indirectly and a further 7 days once symptoms show, if living with anyone who shows symptoms they are suppose to self isolate for a full 14 days to cover the complete period as some people don't have symptoms but act as carriers. Also we are being told the vast majority will only get it once but a few have caught it a second time but this is a low percentage. Even if immune, people can still touch the virus on surfaces get coughed on etc and then touch things themselves to pass the virus on as it's living on them even if immune, they are now saying in the UK it could be 18 months before normality with ups and downs but when all over the way people travel, eat, economies, and even capitalism it'self would of changed forever, the world will be much poorer but some are predicting fairer!
The truth is that there's no accurate figures that's why it's wise to play it safe... the incubation period is thought to vary between 2 and 20 days. You become non contagious 14 days after the first symptoms appear... all these are estimations... rather take the bigger numbers.

The truth is that there's no accurate figures that's why it's wise to play it safe... the incubation period is thought to vary between 2 and 20 days. You become non contagious 14 days after the first symptoms appear... all these are estimations... rather take the bigger numbers.
I agree to be overcautious, but like i said we are told 7, before you mentioned it i have only heard 14 days mentioned for those that live with someone with symptoms so that's 7 days for while the person with symptoms has it, then 7 days because they could of caught it on the last day the one with initial symptoms was still contagious, of course if during this 7 day period symptoms are shown then it's another 7 days so in theory 21 days max. But i have heard nothing other than 7 days from symptoms showing is the contagion period. And just like on anything (including vaping) i trust Health England's advice above any from any other country, long live the great NHS! Out of interest what resource did you get up to 20 days incubation and 14 days after symptoms? i like to read everything i can about it! But you are absolutely right in regard adding days on for piece of mind, i would find it hard to live with myself if i found out i had passed it on to someone who then died when it could of been avoided!

I agree to be overcautious, but like i said we are told 7, before you mentioned it i have only heard 14 days mentioned for those that live with someone with symptoms so that's 7 days for while the person with symptoms has it, then 7 days because they could of caught it on the last day the one with initial symptoms was still contagious, of course if during this 7 day period symptoms are shown then it's another 7 days so in theory 21 days max. But i have heard nothing other than 7 days from symptoms showing is the contagion period. And just like on anything (including vaping) i trust Health England's advice above any from any other country, long live the great NHS! Out of interest what resource did you get up to 20 days incubation and 14 days after symptoms? i like to read everything i can about it! But you are absolutely right in regard adding days on for piece of mind, i would find it hard to live with myself if i found out i had passed it on to someone who then died when it could of been avoided!
I have been reading since late December and gathering as much info as I can from various sources local, international and obviously from the WHO. Recommendations vary from country to country and it is an acceptable and usual fact. No one is right and no one is wrong... and I agree with you on following your local recommendations. Just remember that their initial response to the outbreak was to let be and await for herd immunity to kick in, then they realized they’re running into a big disaster and started following the WHO recommendations of screening, testing and confinement etc. :p

I have been reading since late December and gathering as much info as I can from various sources local, international and obviously from the WHO. Recommendations vary from country to country and it is an acceptable and usual fact. No one is right and no one is wrong... and I agree with you on following your local recommendations. Just remember that their initial response to the outbreak was to let be and await for herd immunity to kick in, then they realized they’re running into a big disaster and started following the WHO recommendations of screening, testing and confinement etc. :p
No that wasn't Health England's recommended response but UK governments, two entirely different things! 49 years of life as taught me never to trust any government or politician, and they still don't follow any screening procedure, unless a politician, royal or celebratory (in other words get tested privately) no one is tested unless they get hospitalised. I was just referring to the incubation and contagion periods as that's new to me despite reading plenty on the WHO website over the last few month i simply asked for a link so i could read it!

Thanks @Hooked
That 17% growth on 27 March is a good figure because it’s well below the growths of previous days
But I suspect there are piles and piles of tests that are still queueing up to be done, so let’s see in the coming days what happens

That's the problem @Silver. The figures reflect only the known cases. :facepalm: As you said, tests waiting to be done, but what is scary is how many people could already have the virus without knowing it? One could be a carrier without having any symptoms whatsoever. Yet one still sees people talking to other people, without anything covering their face. Madness! If you don't have a mask, use a scarf - but cover your mouth and nose. People who wear glasses are lucky, because at least the glasses act as a barrier to droplets getting into the eyes.

That's the problem @Silver. The figures reflect only the known cases. :facepalm: As you said, tests waiting to be done, but what is scary is how many people could already have the virus without knowing it? One could be a carrier without having any symptoms whatsoever. Yet one still sees people talking to other people, without anything covering their face. Madness! If you don't have a mask, use a scarf - but cover your mouth and nose. People who wear glasses are lucky, because at least the glasses act as a barrier to droplets getting into the eyes.

EDIT
For the most part, people weren't careful before lockdown, so any one of us could have been infected already.

Today only a 1% increase from yesterday, but Dept. of Health (I think it was them) warned that reports have not been received yet.

Last 24hr period figures been released for the UK and another daily rise. 260 deaths in just the last 24hour period taking us over a thousand deaths!

Thanks for the feedback @Hooked

Scary stuff

Something else to ponder @Silver is the preparedness of our medical professionals and people out and about.

I have seen it in the US as well as the photos of our police force and military. The masks and equipment they are using to “avoid” infection is in fact not fit for purpose.
Cotton masks are not effective and I see our police using dust masks which are designed for dust and not for bacteria/ virus particles.
The shortages in the UK and the US have people making makeshift masks and using substandard equipment for some sort of mental comfort that they will be ok when in fact the equipment used in hospitals doesn’t even meet the WHO minimum requirements.

I don’t think any country took China seriously when they told the world what was happening and asked them to prepare adequately.

Something else to ponder @Silver is the preparedness of our medical professionals and people out and about.

I have seen it in the US as well as the photos of our police force and military. The masks and equipment they are using to “avoid” infection is in fact not fit for purpose.
Cotton masks are not effective and I see our police using dust masks which are designed for dust and not for bacteria/ virus particles.
The shortages in the UK and the US have people making makeshift masks and using substandard equipment for some sort of mental comfort that they will be ok when in fact the equipment used in hospitals doesn’t even meet the WHO minimum requirements.

I don’t think any country took China seriously when they told the world what was happening and asked them to prepare adequately.
I agree 100%. We do not even have the necessary sanitary requirements in SA and even if there are decent stuff out there, the prices being charhes are ridiculous. My sister is a Dr and paid R2000 for masks that will probably last her 2 weeks max. This is because she is fearful of the hospitals not being able to provide enough equipment.

If our frontline (medical staff) gets sick then essentially things get even worse. No equipment, lack of facilities and a lack of manpower, this is the reality we face.

I've been up daily researching different ways to make ventilators using 3D print designs etc because its going to be needed asap.

We just have to have faith though, because without that and doing everything in our own capacity to try stop the spread, we have nothing.

Watching videos of Alexandra and the likes is scary. The ignorance, the unwillingness to cooperate, the ultimate struggle of such communities through these trying times, is just sad and terrifying.

Thanks @Christos and @Jengz

The thing is that amongst all the citizens of SA, we have superbly skilled people, lots of wealth concentrated in various companies / individuals and I believe a genuine will to help one another and get through this (from most people).

The challenge is harnessing all that and focusing it on the issue at hand. And doing it efficiently and effectively. That is not easy.

I agree 100%. We do not even have the necessary sanitary requirements in SA and even if there are decent stuff out there, the prices being charhes are ridiculous. My sister is a Dr and paid R2000 for masks that will probably last her 2 weeks max. This is because she is fearful of the hospitals not being able to provide enough equipment.

If our frontline (medical staff) gets sick then essentially things get even worse. No equipment, lack of facilities and a lack of manpower, this is the reality we face.

I've been up daily researching different ways to make ventilators using 3D print designs etc because its going to be needed asap.

We just have to have faith though, because without that and doing everything in our own capacity to try stop the spread, we have nothing.

Watching videos of Alexandra and the likes is scary. The ignorance, the unwillingness to cooperate, the ultimate struggle of such communities through these trying times, is just sad and terrifying.

Here’s a design for a low cost ventilator.

Attachments

• DMD_2010_Al_Husseini.pdf
    684.4 KB · Views: 11
I do not know what to expect from these unfortunate people. Most of them have no regular income and survive on a day to day basis. They live packed in small shacks where basic sanitation is unavailable. Wait for a few days, when they start starving...
If the government does not mobilize funds to provide these people with basic necessities at least during the lockdown then no one must expect anything from them.

Back