First Corona Virus case confirmed in SA.

Thanks @Grand Guru for the update on the test kits

Thanks @alex1501 , for posting that update
So we on about 35k tests now
Hoping that number will grow fast in the week ahead.

I heard our president say last night in his address to the nation at 19h30 that they will start screening. I.e. rocking up at your house and coming to test you. Is this at random? Or is it because they suspect someone in your area has the virus and they are looking for it?

With crime levels where they are I am not sure people are just going to let them in their house to take samples. I am in two minds what I would do in this situation. Probably I will say thanks but no thanks.

However, resisting a test like this is probably a crime in itself.

I just worry that criminals who are smart will start posing as Coronavirus testers.

I heard our president say last night in his address to the nation at 19h30 that they will start screening. I.e. rocking up at your house and coming to test you. Is this at random? Or is it because they suspect someone in your area has the virus and they are looking for it?

With crime levels where they are I am not sure people are just going to let them in their house to take samples. I am in two minds what I would do in this situation. Probably I will say thanks but no thanks.

I just worry that criminals who are smart will start posing as Coronavirus testers.

I'm sure the minister will give info later on.

I think its more screening and temperature checks. And focus will be more in townships. He did mention villages.

Untill then don't open the door for anybody.

They can test/screen me through my fence, no need to enter, our yard and house is off limits to everyone except us. One at a time and someone in the family will be keeping a good eye on the ones at the gate for Incase.

What I would like to know is this. If someone is a carrier (they unknowingly have the virus but don't show symptoms) for how long will they be a carrier and thus be able to transmit the virus to others?

When lockdown ends we'll be back in the world - and exposed to those who are carriers.

In a country where people will not even say that someone died of aids, the question is. Do you believe the accuracy of crime stats, unemployment stats, road death stats, corona stats, etc?

What I would like to know is this. If someone is a carrier (they unknowingly have the virus but don't show symptoms) for how long will they be a carrier and thus be able to transmit the virus to others?

When lockdown ends we'll be back in the world - and exposed to those who are carriers.
I would sat for a good 3 weeks @Hooked to be on the safe side. 2 weeks on average...

So everyday more restrictions are lifted. Taxis operating, courier services, I see some computer places open. Talks of cigarettes and booze maybe on sale again. We not even 1 week into lockdown. Will this lockdown work?

My general area, Swartland, has confirmed its first case.

Now here's something interesting. We received a report from N/Watch about garbage removal. Apparently the garbage from a house whose occupant has the virus, has to be done in a different way and it must be kept separate from other garbage. But here's the thing - the name and address of the person who has the virus is supposed to be confidential. The Swartland Municipality is in discussions to resolve the matter. I just hope that it's no-one in my town.

Very happy to hear that @Dela Rey Steyn! May she continue to stay that way.
Hope so too @Hooked! Limpopo has been lucky with a very low amount of cases. But I feel that will all change soon, the proverbial landmine waiting to be tread upon. We had a massive influx of people from Gauteng and Northwest the day before the Lockdown started, the MEC's request fell on deaf ears. The next 2 weeks are going to get interesting in our little piece of Bushveld. Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:
Hope so too @Hooked! Limpopo has been lucky with a very low amount of cases. But I feel that will all change soon, the proverbial landmine wait g to be tread upon. We had a massive influx of people from Gauteng and Northwest the day before the Lockdown started, the MEC's request fell on deaf ears. The next 2 weeks are going to get interesting in our little piece of Bushveld. Let's hope for the best.

@Dela Rey Steyn We had an influx of visitors too - big rush to get here before lockdown. How do we know that they didn't bring the virus with them from Gauteng, Durban etc.? I'm furious about that. They should have just stayed where they were. And what's the point of being here, when you can't go out, can't go to the beach etc.

@Dela Rey Steyn We had an influx of visitors too - big rush to get here before lockdown. How do we know that they didn't bring the virus with them from Gauteng, Durban etc.? I'm furious about that. They should have just stayed where they were. And what's the point of being here, when you can't go out, can't go to the beach etc.
The revenge part is they are now sitting with kids at the beach, nagging them and can’t go out, instead of a neutral place where there were no expectations. Should have stayed at home, it’s not a vacation, it’s an extraordinary situation. A lot of people thought they would be able to walk around, go to the beach, go jogging as it’s open space.

There is a lot of stigma around this condition. We need to keep in mind that people who have it are not at fault. This is by no means a lifestyle associated disease. I’m hearing the weirdest and the scariest stories around me. From the church priest who is being victimized by members of his church accusing him of spreading the disease and threatening his life and to burn the church down... to the family refusing that Covid19 be put on the death certificate as cause of death out of fear of being victimized.
We have a major public health issue to deal with and we can only contain the damage by standing together, caring for ourselves but also for each other...

Reality check just bounced in my home town, patient 1 in Gauteng that died was in our one private hospital! Maybe now some people will start taking it seriously. I feel for his family, especially in this time.

FB_IMG_1585680670213.jpg FB_IMG_1585680731168.jpg

Daily UK update is not good! For the first day deaths in the community as well as in hospitals are included giving 393 deaths in the last 24 hours bringing the total to 1,808. I find this very worrying that once including deaths outside of hospitals the daily amount death rate doubled which means because these people haven't previously been included in the figures tells me two things. 1, the actual number of deaths is likely to be around 3,000 and 2. A lot of people are being left to die and not being admitted to hospital!

Normally UK figures are announced after 5pm and are the last 24 hours between 5pm the previous day and 5pm on the day announced. Wednesday numbers released at 2pm which i can only assume because they didn't want the total to set in panic so the last 21 hours in the UK we have had another 563 deaths taking the total to 2,352 but as mentioned yesterday deaths in the community has only been included in the past two days so total deaths will realistically be much higher!

@Timwis and everyone else that knows...what are they doing with the bodies? :( I have not seen or come across (im sure this was discussed) yet any news on how bodies are being dismissed? I have seen pics of Italy where a massive hall was laid out with coffins and a rose on each one before burning all of them :(
Can this virus pass from the deceased to us? Assuming there must be very close contact like a funeral. If yes, what happens if, GOD forbid, one of us reading this now gets it...once we get into ICU...do we ever see our loved ones again? Should the case become fatal.

@Timwis and everyone else that knows...what are they doing with the bodies? :( I have not seen or come across (im sure this was discussed) yet any news on how bodies are being dismissed? I have seen pics of Italy where a massive hall was laid out with coffins and a rose on each one before burning all of them :(
Can this virus pass from the deceased to us? Assuming there must be very close contact like a funeral. If yes, what happens if, GOD forbid, one of us reading this now gets it...once we get into ICU...do we ever see our loved ones again? Should the case become fatal.
I really don't know what's happening to bodies, i just look at the daily figures and any updates on how they are collated. For someone who under normal circumstances always watches the news i am giving it a miss to keep some sanity else it would just get too depressing!

In a country where people will not even say that someone died of aids, the question is. Do you believe the accuracy of crime stats, unemployment stats, road death stats, corona stats, etc?
No but from what they come up with I normally have my own equation.
So it's good to see what they show and also check what international stats say about us and then times10 , decide by 4 add the square root of 10and 4 and minus the stats they give

I really don't know what's happening to bodies, i just look at the daily figures and any updates on how they are collated. For someone who under normal circumstances always watches the news i am giving it a miss to keep some sanity else it would just get too depressing!
Its so scary! Saw chilling images of fleets of army trucks waiting to be filled with the bodies from Italian hospitals. Nurses and doctors there said they stopping counting the dead...and were also tasked with supporting/holding hands of the ill as they were taking their last breaths :(:(

Back