First Corona Virus case confirmed in SA.

@Timwis and everyone else that knows...what are they doing with the bodies? :( I have not seen or come across (im sure this was discussed) yet any news on how bodies are being dismissed? I have seen pics of Italy where a massive hall was laid out with coffins and a rose on each one before burning all of them :(
Can this virus pass from the deceased to us? Assuming there must be very close contact like a funeral. If yes, what happens if, GOD forbid, one of us reading this now gets it...once we get into ICU...do we ever see our loved ones again? Should the case become fatal.

@Ruwaid Because this virus is contagious and infectious, no-one is allowed to visit the Corona patient in hospital. If the ICU unit has windows they would be able to see each other but that's all. EDIT: IF the hospital even allows visitors into the hospital.

A woman in the UK was on TV last night (on BBC) and she described how awful it was not to be able to hold her mother's hand while she was dying. A wonderful nurse who was caring for her mother put her own phone by the mother's ear, so that the daughter could tell her how much she loved her. The nurse, who could see that the mother didn't have long to live, promised to hold the mother's hand so that she wouldn't die alone. Ten minutes after the phone call she phoned the daughter to tell her that her mother had passed away. It's truly an awful situation.

I don't know what is being done about burials, but to answer your question about whether one could get the virus from a dead person, the answer I would think is yes, if you touch them, because the virus remains on surfaces for a few days. However, it's possible that whatever steps are taken to prepare the body for burial might kill the virus. I'm afraid I don't know anything about that.

Where there are thousands of deaths, as in Italy, I guess cremation (burning the bodies) is the only solution.

G-d forbid that we get to that stage here in SA.

All the funeral parlours received clear instruction to treat every corpse as a potential Covid19 infected corpse. There is definitely a risk of infection as these people may get into contact with bodily fluids during the preparation of the bodies for cremation or burial @Ruwaid. So the undertakers must wear protective gear like healthcare professionals.
Bodies are not given to the families and go straight from the hospital to the parlour. Only 20 people are allowed per funeral and only 10 if it’s a confirmed case. The funeral must not exceed 1hour, no catering, no after tears etc.

No but from what they come up with I normally have my own equation.
So it's good to see what they show and also check what international stats say about us and then times10 , decide by 4 add the square root of 10and 4 and minus the stats they give
This was a joke.
For now I have to believe what they tell us. It's not always on par but I view more than one sources on this topic. This is a worldwide pandemic so all other countries will have news about Z.A. I normally read a few different headlines and make a deduction by what is common.

All the funeral parlours received clear instruction to treat every corpse as a potential Covid19 infected corpse. There is definitely a risk of infection as these people may get into contact with bodily fluids during the preparation of the bodies for cremation or burial @Ruwaid. So the undertakers must wear protective gear like healthcare professionals.
Bodies are not given to the families and go straight from the hospital to the parlour. Only 20 people are allowed per funeral and only 10 if it’s a confirmed case. The funeral must not exceed 1hour, no catering, no after tears etc.
@Ruwaid
I was going to ask this question last week ,but thought it was to delicate because I assumed these people would just be cremated by the GOV.
Or at the hospitals so they won't have regular type funerals. I thought this was sad.

@Ruwaid
I was going to ask this question last week ,but thought it was to delicate because I assumed these people would just be cremated by the GOV.
Or at the hospitals so they won't have regular type funerals. I thought this was sad.
Hospitals do not have cremation facilities @Resistance... there Would be a conflict of interests otherwise :p

So
sorry I meant
to write "bodies being disposed of by the Gov. And Hospitals due to trying to curb the infection spreading rate .
That may happen if number of deaths gets out of control and exceeds capacities of funeral parlours with all the health risk it entails

Germany:
Total infected: 77 779
Actively Infected: 58 170
Recovered: 18 700
Deaths: 909
Recovery to death ratio 1 : 20

Spain:
Total infected: 102 179
Actively Infected: 70 401
Recovered: 22 647
Deaths: 9131
Recovery to death ratio 1 : 2.5

France:
Total infected: 56 989
Actively Infected: 42 023
Recovered: 10 934
Deaths: 4032
Recovery to death ratio 1: 2,75

SA:
Total infected: 1380
Actively Infected: 1325
Recovered: 50
Deaths: 5
Recovery to death ratio 1: 10

I think this disease is far more severe than most realise. Today Woolies was full, 1 in 20 customers were wearing masks or gloves. We are yet to see the worst of this. It's going to hit us very hard and it's going to be truly tragic.

People keep stating the mortality rate as the number of deaths relative to the number of total cases but the time delay drastically skews the stats as the virus can remain active for weeks to months. The real mortality rate should be measured by recovered persons to deceased persons. It's paints a far more grim picture.

Sad to think that ignorance is going to cause so many deaths. Goodluck everyone I think we're all going to need it more than we care to admit.

Last edited:
How to spot a real COVID-19 field worker
https://www.capetownetc.com/news/how-to-spot-a-real-covid-19-field-worker
1 April 2020

" During an interview with Radio702, the Department of Health’s Deputy Director-General Dr Yogan Pillay said that field workers will have identification tags...

Dr Pillay has told South Africans that field workers will carry identification badges, wear uniform T-shirts and be required to carry their official ID documents.

All field workers will also be accompanied by police officers, to ensure there is no trouble between the community and field workers, and vice versa. Community leaders will also be informed of when the field workers will arrive to ensure all residents are aware that they will be visited..."

Germany:
Total infected: 77 779
Actively Infected: 58 170
Recovered: 18 700
Deaths: 909
Recovery to death ratio 1 : 20

Spain:
Total infected: 102 179
Actively Infected: 70 401
Recovered: 22 647
Deaths: 9131
Recovery to death ratio 1 : 2.5

France:
Total infected: 56 989
Actively Infected: 42 023
Recovered: 10 934
Deaths: 4032
Recovery to death ratio 1: 2,75

SA:
Total infected: 1380
Actively Infected: 1325
Recovered: 50
Deaths: 5
Recovery to death ratio 1: 10

I think this disease is far more severe than most realise. Today Woolies was full, 1 in 20 customers were wearing masks or gloves. We are yet to see the worst of this. It's going to hit us very hard and it's going to be truly tragic.

People keep stating the mortality rate at the number of recovered to the number of total cases but the time delay drastically skews the stats as the virus can remain active for weeks to months. The real mortality rate should be measured by recovered persons to deceased persons. It's paints a far more grim picture.

Sad to think that ignorance is going to cause so many deaths. Goodluck everyone I think we're all going to need it more than we care to admit.

@Chickenstrip What's the difference between Totally Infected and Actively Infected? Does Totally Infected mean that they tested postive but do not have symptoms, whereas Actively Infected means a positive test and symptoms?

I agree about the time delay and that is what worries me the most. Post-lockdown everyone is going to be out and about as if nothing has happened. There won't even be an attempt at social distancing, people won't be wearing masks and gloves - and we'll have what has been called a "second wave" of the virus. I'm going to be very careful for the remainder of this year!!

@Chickenstrip What's the difference between Totally Infected and Actively Infected? Does Totally Infected mean that they tested postive but do not have symptoms, whereas Actively Infected means a positive test and symptoms?

Total infected is everybody that has got the virus at a given time and has recovered from it. Actively infected is everybody that has got the virus at the given time. If that makes sense.

Testing is currently still only done on those showing symptoms that have been overseas in the past weeks or have been in contact with confirmed cases. As a result of this gatekeeping criteria we are in fact guarding the front door but leaving the patio door wide open. I think the true infected number is exponentially higher than the official one.

Regards

Total infected is everybody that has got the virus at a given time and has recovered from it. Actively infected is everybody that has got the virus at the given time. If that makes sense.
No, Total infected are those that have tested positive, Actively infected are those that are still infected so if you add Deaths, Recovered and Actively Infected together it gives the Total Infected figure!

Total infected = all that were tested and ALL that were confirmed as positive.
Total infected cases - Recovered cases = Actively infected.
Leave alone rest of the year...wearing gloves and masks and keeping away until absolutely impossible will be the worlds exercise for a very long time to come. This is going to mark a different world for us all. Clinical trials of some companies only start this October and some much later. From those trails who knows how long it will take for a positive test/successful vaccine. Those vaccines as well are more for prevention rather than cure. Vaccine wont mean much to people who are already infected

No, Total infected are those that have tested positive, Actively infected are those that are still infected so if you add Deaths, Recovered and Actively Infected together it gives the Total Infected figure!

This @Hooked ^^

Total is the total number of people who have been infected. It includes dead, recovered and actively infected.

Actively Infected are people who are positive but are not yet dead or cured.

The number I am interested in watching is how many tests have been done

Comparing with other countries is not that meaningful if one doesn’t adjust for how many tests have been done.

I saw they reported the number of tests a few days ago, I think we were on 35k tests or thereabouts
Wonder where we are now on that?

Daily UK update, now almost at 3,000 as in the last 24 hours another 569 die in the UK including a couple of celebrities taking the total to 2,921. As mentioned previously deaths in the community have only been included in the past 3 days figures but not previously so i estimate actual death toll now over 4.000!

The number I am interested in watching is how many tests have been done

Comparing with other countries is not that meaningful if one doesn’t adjust for how many tests have been done.

I saw they reported the number of tests a few days ago, I think we were on 35k tests or thereabouts
Wonder where we are now on that?
Total test done to date in SA.
3c740eabc0c8321f69ada4d39f49627b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the updates
So 3% of those tested have tested positive

I would love to know how our testing compares with other countries
For example, tests/million population
How many tests we’ve done at our stage (days since first case found) versus other countries

We definitely have lower positive cases than other countries had at our stage
But I want to see if it’s because our testing is lower

So the newest conspiracy I heard of this morning.

The mutation in the corona virus was caused by the type of 5G technology that's developed in China..

I have 3 questions...
What are the conspiracy theorists smoking?
Where are they getting it?
How much did they pay for it?

Latest UK figures in and it's just getting worse everyday. In the last 24 hours we have had 684 deaths, soon it will be over 1,000 a day!

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577
A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers

"The authors of this article, published in 2015, have written a response to their work in light of the COVID-19 pandemic...

Objective The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of cloth masks to medical masks in hospital healthcare workers (HCWs). The null hypothesis is that there is no difference between medical masks and cloth masks.

Setting 14 secondary-level/tertiary-level hospitals in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Participants 1607 hospital HCWs aged ≥18 years working full-time in selected high-risk wards.

Intervention Hospital wards were randomised to: medical masks, cloth masks or a control group (usual practice, which included mask wearing). Participants used the mask on every shift for 4 consecutive weeks.

Main outcome measure Clinical respiratory illness (CRI), influenza-like illness (ILI) and laboratory-confirmed respiratory virus infection.

Results [my summary]

"The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask ... [and] penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%."

Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated."

Back