Five Pawns - Juice Reviews

Thanks Tom ;-) Much appreciated.

You have absolutely set the benchmark for juice reviews, Silver! You, and Crafty, could do this for a living:)!
Gambit then not for me - too sweet. Tom, you can have it all!

Gambit sounds awesome! Nice one Silver!

You have absolutely set the benchmark for juice reviews, Silver! You, and Crafty, could do this for a living:)!
Gambit then not for me - too sweet. Tom, you can have it all!

Thanks for the super compliment @Matthee. Much appreciated! At least I know I can fall back on something if things become tough in my regular job ;-). As for Tom taking all the Gambit - that's a good idea. Go for it Tom, I think you will like it.

Gambit sounds awesome! Nice one Silver!

Thanks Oupa. Can't wait to try VM Legends ;-)
PS: off topic, but I always wanted to know why your nickname was @Oupa?

Lol... long story and maybe one that is not for this forum :rolleyes: But its a nickname given to me by my best buds in high school 20 years ago and it stuck!

Ok thanks then - perhaps you can reveal the reasons why they called you that on the inside of one of your upcoming Legends bottles ;-)

Sooo... add my name now to the list of 5 Pawns "tryer-outers" on here. Big Thank you to Vapeking again for their lovely and prompt service! You guys rock beeeeg clouds.

I'm itching, but I have yet to try the 2 juices I got. Silver has done 3 awesome reviews so far (thank you sir), and if I'm right he has 1 left to do. The 2 I have hasn't been reviewed yet (gives away the 2 I have there), so I after I've tried them, and Silver has done his 4th, I might chip in on the other one. Or both, for different opinions then.

Bring on da Pawns!

Sent with my DSTV decoder via channel 120

The time has come for my fourth and final Five Pawns review - Queenside.

As with the previous two juices, it's 50/50 PG/VG and 12mg nicotine strength. This one was mixed on 1 Nov 2013. Here goes...

Five Pawns QUEENSIDE (12mg)

I like it a lot.

It has a light orange and vanilla taste. It's refined and sophisticated. An initial jolt of refreshing orange, which then fades into vanilla flavours. The orange is natural tasting, not too sweet or too sour - in the middle. Then the vanilla comes through. The vanilla is subtle and soothing.

Perhaps the orange is not as vibrant or strong as I would have liked to my taste. I would have liked a more punchy orange. But that's just me. This one is subtle. Having said that, the vanilla rounds off the citrus orange beautifully and softens it. Once again, I liked and appreciated it more the more I vaped it. I was quite surprised how well these flavours worked together.

The juice is not very sweet. I vaped it exclusively without a problem. It's not dry either. Neither is it too wet. It's in the middle.

Despite the subtlety, this juice packs a nice punch. It tends to warm up my throat and lungs and delivers a decent throat hit. I found myself coughing occasionally - especially after longer drags. Lovely.

It has a vanilla type of aftertaste not orange. It's very pleasant and quite soothing. It doesn't last as long as the aftertaste of the other three juices I've tried.

There is no doubt that this is a premium juice. It vapes well and is consistent. Once again, a complex layered set of flavours and they taste natural. It is well balanced.

Vapour production was similar to the other juices - again above average with dense vapour.

Overall, I like Queenside. It has a very pleasing combination of refreshing orange and soothing vanilla. It's a high quality juice and I would re-order.

Equipment used: Protank2 Mini, Standard 2.2 ohm coil (measuring 2.25 ohms on the Sigelei ohm meter), iTaste VV battery set to 7.5 Watts (implying about 4.1 Volts).

PS: now that I've reviewed all four of the Five Pawns that I bought (I didn't buy Absolute Pin) - you're probably wondering how they all stack up against each other. Here is my line up in order of preference.

In joint first place - Bowden's Mate and Grandmaster
- Bowden's mint and chocolate is amazing and unique. Smooth and sophisticated. I love it for its uniqueness
- Grandmaster's nutty boldness and throat hit does it for me.

Closely behind the above two is Queenside
- I like it for it's sophisticated Orange and vanilla concoction. The only thing that lets this juice a bit down (for me at least) is that I wanted the orange to be a bit more punchy. But it's still very good.

In last place for me is Gambit - and for me it's quite a way behind the above three
- that ripe apple is just too sweet for me.

I can't wait to get hold of any future Five Pawns flavours that are released ;-)

EDIT - please note that Five Pawns' juice bottles do not have "child-proof" caps. You just unscrew the dripper cap and it opens. Bear this in mind if you prefer your juices to have "child-proof" caps.

Last edited:
You didn't order the most complex one?

Sent from the Millennium Falcon

Hi Revn, I actually went to VapeKing with the intention of buying all 5!

They had them set up for tasting, so I tasted all of them briefly.

I didn't like the absinthe taste of the Absolute Pin at all. Not my type of taste. But that's just my personal taste.

Would love to taste their Castle Long Reserve

Also would love to get my hands on castle long reserve but its very hard to get hold of

Five Pawns BOWDEN'S MATE (12mg)
Silver1's review is spot on, although I do find more chocolate as a second layer and the vanilla far in the background. Love the combination, especially the lingering chocolate.
First tried it in the RSST with XC-116 ceramic wick with 28g Kanthal at 1.59 ohms on a Vamo3 at 13 to 14 Watts. Vaped that all last night. Great flavour and vapour, adequate TH. First time I used the RSST. Quite impressed with the RSST's performance, the top cap does get quite hot.
This morning washed a Reo Grand and coiled the RM2 with XC-132 ceramic wick with 27g Kanthal at 0.77 ohms. Double the flavour, vapour and TH.
Great juice, will buy again if my purse allows. Would love to try it at 18 mg.

Amazing @Matthee

Thanks for the validation of my review @Matthee. Glad you liked the Bowdens. It is a really interesting flavour indeed. Perhaps my equipment is not bringing out the full chocolate flavour.

I am really itching to taste it on the REO - at more than double the power than on my setup ;-)

By the way, am I right in saying that your Bowdens Mate REO setup at 0.77 ohms is producing around 18 Watts? (3.7 volts squared divided by 0.77). Also, I thought the REO in its current form was not well suited to sub-ohm coils. Can you enlighten me...

Great reviews Silver1, i would love to hear what you think of the Absolute Pin, that is the first juice i have ever vaped and still have half a bottle left, i found that if i vape it for longer than a day i start disliking it then i change to a fruit flavour for a day or two and then i can go back and enjoy it again. Not to sure if it would be like that with all juices tho.. My flavour experiment has just kicked off and im really excited to get my hands on some other great juices.

So I wanted to post my review of Absolute Pin here, but it looks like my review is too long to be able to post in a message. And I am NOT gonna shorten it, so I made it into a PDF file, for you to download.

Sorry for the inconvenience :oops:

Enjoy.

Its down below.......

Attachments

• Absolute Pin from Five Pawns review.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 27
You could split into two post maybe? So people dont have to download it?

So I wanted to post my review of Absolute Pin here, but it looks like my review is too long to be able to post in a message. And I am NOT gonna shorten it, so I made it into a PDF file, for you to download.

Enjoy.

Its down below.......
Brilliant review! I must say i can barely taste the absinth with my iclear 16.. Perhaps its still the analogues messing with my taste buds .. I have to agree with you, its not a juice i like to vape day in and day out, altho its a very nice juice now and then i do enjoy it a lot!

Enjoy.

Its down below.......

Nah Uh... Tell me he didn't just steal my "vape your face off" slogan.

Like cloning parts wasn't enough.

Sent from the Millennium Falcon

Super review, Vapey, just loved the humour in there. Looking forward to your next review.

Enjoy.

Its down below.......
No inconvenience for me. Just tried Absolute Pin on my Reo at around 18 Watts. Nothing to add to your review, other than this is not even a one night stand for me at this stage, but will vape more during the course of the evening. One for the Taste Box I think, which I have yet to start, Tom...or will swap for Bowden's Mate.

Hi folks!

Vapey McJ here. Today we are going to talk about this.... What is this?

This is Absolute Pin from Five Pawns Signature Vapor Liquid
"intense complexity of Irish Cream, cinnamon spice, and caramel with subtle absinthe undertones"

So I have been vaping this juice for the last couple of days, and made some few notes, with a lot of random thoughts also included. I wanted to include as much info as possible in this review, not only so I could come to a proper conclusion, but also for those that might want to try this e-juice for themselves.

Lets start with a few things we already know about Five Pawns e-juice:

They come to you in a prettied-up empty toilet roll with some stickers with information on.
They come in 30ml glass bottles (hence the toilet roll) with a dripper style, non-childproof cap.
They are in this case, 12mg/ml nicotine e-juices.
They are only made as a 50/50 PG/VG mix.
They are premium e-juices and on the somewhat expensive side of all things nice.
They are available for purchase, and tasting too, from Vapeking.co.za

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Absolute Pin is a light almost luminous yellow colour (if it reminds you of something else like it did me, you will no doubt have a little hee-hee I'm about to vape Bears Grylls' p..... moment here) Its a very clear juice, showing quality ingredients were used, because the only cloudiness you should have, should be from you blowing some clouds.

Smell: Oh my ..... Liquorice. The description of this juice states "..... subtle absinthe undertones" but the smell suggests an in your face-take this you sucker-punch of anise/liquorice (for the rest of this review I will refer to the "absinthe undertone" as liquorice, as that is exactly what it smells/tastes like) I don't know what I expected, but the liquorice is the MOST prevalent and dominant smell. Undertone my ankle! There is somewhat of a "spice" note to it, but nothing my nose can clearly identify as either cinnamon spice, Old Spice or even Posh Spice.

VAPING THE JUICE

So I vaped this juice exclusively using my Kmax VV/VW device, but because I wanted to see how it would do with different delivery systems, I used all three I had available at the time. I am mentioning them from least important to this review, to most important.

1) On a Kanger T2 clearomiser (2.0 ohm coil with silica wick @ max 7W)
The T2 is a top coil clearomiser with a nice tighty draw, that to me provides a good steady on-the-go vape. It does mute flavours somewhat, but provides good warm vapour, so I wanted to see how it would do. The 1st flavor I get is liquorice. The 2nd flavour I get is liquorice. Yes, its somewhat creamy-like (Irish cream?) and not a sharp flavour, but its basically all I get. I don't detect any caramel complexities. There is a slight "spice" sensation that tickles your throat on inhale and keeps lingering a little after, and on the exhale it will do something to your nose (see additional comment no. 1 below) Its one of the Spice Girls, but I cant make out which one. Its not bad, just a little extra experience for your enjoyment. Vapour production is very decent/good. There is quite a punchy throat hit, followed by the slight tickling of your "mangels".

2) On a Kanger Protank 2 (2.2 ohm coil with silica wick @ max 8.5W)
The flavour of the Pin on the Protank is slightly better I would say. Once again the initial flavour is the liquorice, and there might might might be some caramel arriving late to the party. But I cant be sure if its really there, or if I'm just hoping that its there. Again you get the Spice Girl doing a boogie on your larynx, and throat hit stays good throughout. There's really not much difference to this juice on the Protank 2, nothing in the WHAT you taste, maybe in the how MUCH of it you taste.

3) On a Magoo RBA (1.8 ohm single coil around 2x 3mm silica @ different W's)
The Magoo has always had excellent flavour no matter what I put in it, and I really hoped it would make this juice dance a little. Being able to run it at higher watts, it was my big test for Absolute Pin.

@ 7 - 9.5W Once again no real change in flavour from the others, that I could detect. Same as before. Prominent liquorice taste and a Spice Girl that's doing karaoke and wiggling her bum around at your party.

@ 10 - 11.5W This is where things started to get interesting mmm. Suddenly the liquorice toned down a little, I am pretty sure now there are at least some caramel in this juice. It has become more complex all of a sudden, and my interest is peaked anew. Someone has give the Spice Girl a shot of the Absinthe, because she is singing a bit louder and dancing more wildly.

@ 12 - 14W And now suddenly, at higher watts and more heat, there is balance in the Force. Some members on the forum commented that these juices needs more heat, and at the time I did take notice of that. Now the liquorice has mellowed even more, the creamy caramel taste that I did get before has moved in and decided to stay. Its just feels more balanced, I guess. The Spice Girl has been through most of the Absinthe bottle, and is dancing on the ceiling. She really does get more intense as the heat goes up, oh baby baby!

This was as far as I was willing to push my devices for now, but it has given me some thoughts to make a final conclusion on Absolute Pin, the juice.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS

1) Cause of the cinnamon profile that is part of this juice, it does give you a tickle (not burning though) sensation, both in your throat and if you exhale through your nose a lot like me. The first tank full I vaped, I did tend to sneeze every so often, say after every X number of vapes. It does get better as you get used to the sensation.
2) The liquorice smell does tend to linger wherever you vape it. My family commented on this, as they could smell it throughout the house where I went and vaped. Even early morning when I haven't even had my first vape yet. Just something to remember for when you vape it in someone else's house/car or in your office.

FINAL CONCLUSION

I don't love liquorice, but I don't mind it either. So I wasn't put off by the flavour profile of Absolute Pin. Many wouldn't like it perhaps. or even try it out, for that very reason. I bought the juice to try it out and I don't really regret that I did.

Overall its a nice juice to vape, but my neighbour is also nice. Would I like to hold his hand and make out with him all day long? No. The same with this juice. Its more of a memorable one night stand, than a lifelong love affair. It seemed straight liquorice juice when I started vaping it, and I was looking for the promised complexities, but hardly found any. Only on a decent atty, nuked with some plutonium power, did the other elements to the juice really come out.

I think some vapers might actually love this juice, but it really needs to be enjoyed on say a proper RBA or a dripper, with some high heat and good wicking. Without that you are going to be stuck with an Absinthe-like tasting juice, and a Spice Girls to keep you company.

I would give Absolute Pin a thumbs up, but it only gets a 7/10 score overall.

Premium e-juice maybe, but All Day Vape..... still searching.....

Vapey

Back