Flavor shelf life

alex chen

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
Going thru my stash and I see I have a lot of flavors that are few yrs old whats your take on how long they last? 2 years is best for flavor's shelf life

Going thru my stash and I see I have a lot of flavors that are few yrs old whats your take on how long they last? 2 years is best for flavor's shelf life

It's not only the flavour that must be considered, but the nicotine. If the nicotine has oxidised it will give the juice a horrible taste. It won't be harmful to vape, although the nic will be ineffective, but nevertheless you won't be able to vape it because of the effect on the flavour.

It's not only the flavour that must be considered, but the nicotine. If the nicotine has oxidised it will give the juice a horrible taste. It won't be harmful to vape, although the nic will be ineffective, but nevertheless you won't be able to vape it because of the effect on the flavour.

I think he was actually referring to the concentrates. I hope it is short, because I threw out a bunch of them that were like 3 years old and I presumed they were expired.

It highly depends on the packaging, storage conditions and the actual flavours. Shelf life can vary from 6 months to 4+ years
If you suspect your flavour, simple test would be to try 1-2 drops on table spoon of milk or tea spoon of the fresh cream. You'll know if it's gone bad.

It depends on the conditions. If kept below 20C and in a dark dry cupboard, it could last up to 2 years. The standard is usually 1 year - 1.5 years.

Keep it away from moisture/the fridge.

https://www.madhatterjuice.com/kick-the-crave/pros-and-cons-of-storing-e-juice-in-the-fridge/#

There was a case study done, on how it negatively affects flavor. I will try look for it later today.

That article speaks about ready made e-juice and it's full of inacuracies like:
"E-juice has a good amount of sugar. VG has a naturally high level of sugar, while the flavoring ingredients themselves tend to be very sweet."
or
It mostly consists of a base that’s made of a blend of vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG). Both of these ingredients are derived from alcohol..."

I tend not to vape sugar and PG and VG are actual alcohols.

If your flavour bottles are sealed properly and you wait for them to reach the room temperature before opening, you won't have problem with the condensation.
If some flavour doesn't tolerate low temperature (2-5 degrees celsius) I have yet to find it.

That article speaks about ready made e-juice and it's full of inacuracies like:
"E-juice has a good amount of sugar. VG has a naturally high level of sugar, while the flavoring ingredients themselves tend to be very sweet."
or
It mostly consists of a base that’s made of a blend of vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG). Both of these ingredients are derived from alcohol..."

I tend not to vape sugar and PG and VG are actual alcohols.

If your flavour bottles are sealed properly and you wait for them to reach the room temperature before opening, you won't have problem with the condensation.
If some flavour doesn't tolerate low temperature (2-5 degrees celsius) I have yet to find it.

You are referring to the The mad hatter article. They are or were one of the biggest eliquid companies in the world. :giggle:

The case study/experiment is interesting.

You are referring to the The mad hatter article. They are or were one of the biggest eliquid companies in the world. :giggle:
Doesn't change the fact that PG and VG are actual alcohols and generally don't contain sugar, unless you add some on purpose.
Only some of the flavours like the "Yellow Cake" by Flavor West contain actual sugar (fructose in this case) and I tend to avoid using those.
I speak only about flavour and nicotine storage and not about ready made e-juice.

Doesn't change the fact that PG and VG are actual alcohols and generally don't contain sugar, unless you add some on purpose.
Only some of the flavours like the "Yellow Cake" by Flavor West contain actual sugar (fructose in this case) and I tend to avoid using those.
I speak only about flavour and nicotine storage and not about ready made e-juice.

Correct, they are sugar alcohols.

Besides their 120 Pop, the rest of their flavors were meh.

I keep only unopened nicotine in the freezer. Let us know if you have any negative impact on the flavours from the freezer.
So far I haven't, I keep my nic in the freezer and one shots, but the one shots are never in longer than 3 months then I use them. Nic I have had for 5 months and just mixed a new batch MTL and DL and no pepper taste or anything. The other flavour have been in there for much longer, but they not ever used and they have been frozen solid all that time. I'll try them when I have time

https://www.madhatterjuice.com/kick-the-crave/pros-and-cons-of-storing-e-juice-in-the-fridge/#

There was a case study done, on how it negatively affects flavor. I will try look for it later today.
Interestingly enough MF flavours that we don't get in the UK are best kept in the fridge yet i have read the same as you other flavours will weaken in strength quickly if kept fridged but i am talking about concentrates rather than finished e-liquids although i expect the same applies, it's hard to tell from the OP weather this is about concentrates or finished e-liquids!

So far I haven't, I keep my nic in the freezer and one shots, but the one shots are never in longer than 3 months then I use them. Nic I have had for 5 months and just mixed a new batch MTL and DL and no pepper taste or anything. The other flavour have been in there for much longer, but they not ever used and they have been frozen solid all that time. I'll try them when I have time
A lot of vapers in the UK bought loads of nicotine just before the TPD regulations kicked in and many are still defrosting it to use and it's still absolutely fine!

Keep them in the cool place and far away from light is better

Looking forward to your findings.
Jip I look forward to your findings too. Re the flavour concentrate storage in freezer as I'm relatively new to diy juice making, less than a year making my own diy juice. From advice I've been given I keep commercial nic juice, my own diy nic juice, pg/vg and flavour concentrates in a cool dark place ie.. coolest room in the house in the back of a dark cupboard and only keep my nic in the freezer. I've opened commercial nic juice way over 3 years old and it's still perfectly fine to use storing it like this.

Back