Glass wick

not fighting boss, concerned for your health, that's all

@vicTor greatly appreciated.
The web don't give you advice on fibreglass wicks much. There however are safe versions of fibreglass out there.
Like the thread started ...fibreglass .the good,the bad and the ugly with a question mark.
I guess nobody saw that.

I stand by my post. The thread was titled "Glass wick" and fibreglass was mentioned in the first post. If the thread was differently titled and silica wick was discussed, then my post would have been different. I didn't target anyone specifically. If a friend wanted to vape on fibreglass, I'd call him stupid as well, because it is. I'm done here.
I believe because it was Friday I can only assume they were drunk when they didn't see the question mark.what's you're excuse... babbelas?

You showed nothing in relation to it being used in vaping other than great concerns being raised. I showed a grab that had concerns simply being around it using it for vaping would increase those concerns!
Screenshot_20200222-175028.png
I sent the link in a post a bit higher up.

You are generally right, "silica wick" and/or "fiberglass wick" are the same thing, with the full name "silica glass fiber wick". "Silica glass fibers" are being treated and/or blended with a varety of materials for different purposes (sometimes even during producion of actual fibres), and thereafter sold as "fiberglass" xxx products.
I think the main reason for the confusion is that some "fiberglass" products have earned a bad reputation in the past (not without a reason), so manufacturers and resellers are sometimes avoiding that name and simply call it silica.
That could be why some people are reacting so emotionally.
Nearly everyone who started vaping 4-5 + years ago had some encounter with silica glass fiber wicks.
For me they've worked just fine with high PG juices and on the low power devices (eg "Liqua" 70PG/30 VG "Evod" battery and "Protank 3" mini).
As I've started moving to higher VG juices, I wasn't so happy anymore.
You still have to be careful when getting silica wicks and check them for contaminants (eg wax, plastic polymers, ...). Almost all of them are being made in China and lot of them are going out with no quality control of any kind.
As far "the good, the bad and the ugly" go:
The good: very high thermal stability (and potential for further development of the other attributes)
The bad: lower absorption capacity compared to cotton
The ugly: lower quality fibres could be very brittle, lose structural integrity and potentially harm you
Yes that's the point Fiberglass has those platic polymers you are concerned about, it's 67% silica and then other compounds including plastic polymers that's why anyone using Fiberglass for wicking is taking a huge risk!

I believe because it was Friday I can only assume they were drunk when they didn't see the question mark.what's you're excuse... babbelas?
I actually think your picture of saturated Fiberglass strands in your atty is what they focussed on and caused the concern

I got some good comments and a heap of crap from people I never expected to be so dimwitted about something that they themselves used to do. Screw this thread I get better answers on ECF forum on this topic so I'll post my questions there.

If you did a review on a product and all the following comments was that you're an idiot,
You're using half your brain,
And a moderator is called in and calls you stupid.
I guess your next review would be world class.

And all I did was disagree & dislike what you said to @Resistance but you are now forcing me to verbalise my comments.
I guess you win. You got me to comment out of my normal threads... Lol I guess I am now contributing!
I doubt it my reviews are hardly world class to begin with just how i found the product and include as much information as i can. What's that got to do with people being concerned over someone using Fiberglass?

Exactly so after 2 years shouldn't you be doing that? I didn't call @Resistance an idiot i am concerned for his health using Fibreglass but he was given the answer to his question by many but didn't like the answer. And if for example someone says Fiberglass is a form of silica why should i agree when that is inaccurate, how is that me being condescending and demeaning?

You also said he was taught wrong when he said he was taught to work with fiberglass 30 years ago and someone made money off him.

Now go have a look at all the bad comments and imagine you got them in your reviews without a question as to why you're saying what you're saying in you're comments.

Fact remains he just has a wider perspective and greater knowledge in general... .:imwithstupid::pancarta: :ciao:.

Enjoy the rest of ur evening gents, this gal got to go make supper for the family lol and post jokes... I hope I've contributed enough on this thread LOL to be part of this forum!!!! :meparto:

No, that is not my point.
"You still have to be careful when getting silica wicks and check them for contaminants (eg wax, plastic polymers, ...)" this is what Fiberglass have added so what was your point?

"You still have to be careful when getting silica wicks and check them for contaminants (eg wax, plastic polymers, ...)" this is what Fiberglass have added so what was your point?

In the particular sentence, I'm talking about external contaminants on the silica wicks. You are talking about different products altogether.

In the particular sentence, I'm talking about external contaminants on the silica wicks. You are talking about different products altogether.
Back in 2012 both Silica (more commonly) and Fiberglass were used in vaping and that's my point they were different not the same. Back then Silica had some concerns but Fiberglass was considered very dangerous which others also have eluded too.

Yes i checked that out but back in 2012 there was silica wicking and the fiberglass wicking both looked and felt different! no confusion they were different roll on to about 2014 then the fiberglass wicking had faded out but some Silica was sold has silica glass fiber which causes confusion but it's actually Silica.

Stainless steel wire rope from brights hardware, but you still need cotton for the "last mile".
So a lot more hassle for not much gains.
I have done that too but didn't use cotton whatsoever

You are generally right, "silica wick" and/or "fiberglass wick" are the same thing, with the full name "silica glass fiber wick". "Silica glass fibers" are being treated and/or blended with a varety of materials for different purposes (sometimes even during producion of actual fibres), and thereafter sold as "fiberglass" xxx products.
I think the main reason for the confusion is that some "fiberglass" products have earned a bad reputation in the past (not without a reason), so manufacturers and resellers are sometimes avoiding that name and simply call it silica.
That could be why some people are reacting so emotionally.
Nearly everyone who started vaping 4-5 + years ago had some encounter with silica glass fiber wicks.
For me they've worked just fine with high PG juices and on the low power devices (eg "Liqua" 70PG/30 VG "Evod" battery and "Protank 3" mini).
As I've started moving to higher VG juices, I wasn't so happy anymore.
You still have to be careful when getting silica wicks and check them for contaminants (eg wax, plastic polymers, ...). Almost all of them are being made in China and lot of them are going out with no quality control of any kind.
As far "the good, the bad and the ugly" go:
The good: very high thermal stability (and potential for further development of the other attributes)
The bad: lower absorption capacity compared to cotton
The ugly: lower quality fibres could be very brittle, lose structural integrity and potentially harm you

Out of all the comments on fibreglass/silica wicks this is the best read I had throughout the thread and it makes sense and I actually learnt a thing or two from your post.
Thanks

then the fiberglass wicking had faded out but some Silica was sold has silica glass fiber which causes confusion but it's actually Silica
There is no sense in this part of your statement, scientific or otherwise. Word "silica" without the descriptor means nothing other than "silicon dioxide"(SiO2), please feel free to share your definition of it.

By using the logic in some statements here can we deduce that there is actual bacon in Cotton Bacon? Titanium in Titanium Fibre Cotton?

Thank goodness Voopoo doesn't make a cotton.

There is no sense in this part of your statement, scientific or otherwise. Word "silica" without the descriptor means nothing other than "silicon dioxide"(SiO2), please feel free to share your definition of it.
I am trying to leave this thread alone because it seams on this forum people throw their toys out the pram, were you vaping end of 2011 beginning of 2012 when i am referring to two separate products if not then you are telling me you know better about something i was a part of and you wasn't! If you were vaping back then i will be happy to continue the topic but not were people are so touchy. So much emphasise but on what was perceived as insulting. Funny when i simply pressed the dislike button to a comment on a thread and nothing more i was insulted yet not one person disliked the insult or spoke up for me. If because you pressed dislike to comments of mine i promise you if i looked up exactly where you were from in South Africa to find the nearest river to you to make it personal and posted for you to go piss in it then dislikes and comments would come flooding in and i would get slaughtered, yet when i was told to do so for no other reason than pressing dislike not one person commented or anything, that tells me everything i need to know about what people are really like on here.

I am trying to leave this thread alone because it seams on this forum people throw their toys out the pram, were you vaping end of 2011 beginning of 2012 when i am referring to two separate products if not then you are telling me you know better about something i was a part of and you wasn't! If you were vaping back then i will be happy to continue the topic but not were people are so touchy. So much emphasise but on what was perceived as insulting. Funny when i simply pressed the dislike button to a comment on a thread and nothing more i was insulted yet not one person disliked the insult or spoke up for me. If because you pressed dislike to comments of mine i promise you if i looked up exactly where you were from in South Africa to find the nearest river to you to make it personal and posted for you to go piss in it then dislikes and comments would come flooding in and i would get slaughtered, yet when i was told to do so for no other reason than pressing dislike not one person commented or anything, that tells me everything i need to know about what people are really like on here.

In all honesty I think u full of shit. U like to say things to members but when they retaliate u don't like it and then u play the victim roll. U started this and brought this upon urself and further brought in members to actually come in the thread to comment coz u didn't like the fact I disliked ur comments nor agreed with you.

Why all coz i didn't like wat u said and nor the way u said it... We not allowed to comment only u... Seriously!!!

I personally think u shud get over urself coz u don't knw everything irrespective of ur education. We are all here to learn a little from one another. We are not here to be insulted nor belittled.

If you don't like the comments u receive I suggest u watch how u comment on threads then people won't react sensitively to ur comments

FYI

U can now ask @Daniel @zadiac and @mad_hatter to back you up coz u four are of the same frame of mind. @Daniel started this yet where is he... Why didn't he back u up throughout yesterday... No coz ppl like him are cowards, they say something and run off!!!

I hope this is a lesson to other members... Everyone is allowed to express themselves and ask questions, make comments but it is how they put forth there questions, comments that matters the most. We are not here to hurt and insult people but to get advice and learn!

If it wasn't for out of the box thinking then no new products would be available.

Whom ever now feels like lashing out I suggest u pvt me...coz I'm done here!!! :wink:

Thank you for creating this thread @Resistance. I’m sure it’ll help educate some of us, and not only on wicking materials BTW!
In my job I come across people who knowingly play with their lives. It outrages me and I’m sometimes tempted to call them names and give them slap on the face or kick them out. But it’s not in my nature and more importantly it would defeat the purpose!
It’s a pity some people hide behind nicknames and use these fora to vent their frustrations, belittle other people or maybe simply be “themselves”? You are quite regular on the forum, you’re making a huge contribution and you may have noticed that it’s the same people who usually make the negative or cynical comments like in any other community. You’re better off ignoring them buddy. It’ll drive them nuts! If you respond to them, you’re giving them the joy of an opportunity to insult you again. Don’t give them that joy!

Back