Good Beginner's Rba - What Do You Suggest?

Here's a noob RBA question - I've got an iTaste VV and I'm thinking of getting a Smok RSST and venturing down the rabbit hole of RBA's. Would I need to / would it be advisable get a more powerful battery when getting into RBA's? I'm sure that all depends on the ohms of the coils I'll be making but this will be my 1st RBA so this is more of a "feeler" question
Don't remember how low a resistance coil the iTaste VV can accomodate, but it is usually around 1.2 ohms. So a build from just over that on the RSST should give you a good "feel" for RBAs. In the long run, however, my gut feel is that a mech mod will be better. That said, I have never really researched that statement and could be totally wrong - will look into it or maybe someone else can help.

Ok, have done some reading.
  • General consensus seems to be that it is totally fine to run a RBA on a VV/VW mod. In fact it is safer because of the built in safety features of such mods. So, actually a good, safe way to let one gain experience in building your own coils. And, if that gives you a satisfactory vape, not even to try mechs.
  • However, there also seems to be general agreement that, at the same resistance as on a VV/VW, a mech mod gives you a stronger and smoother vape, but YOU are the safety feature - you have to know what you are doing.
  • If you want to go lower resistance than VV/VWs allow, you must go the mech route. Then, should you desire, you can push the envelope some. Like CVS with his most recent 0.5 ohm coil, but note that he has used the best battery for that, has many hours of coil building behind him and is using proper equipment.

Here's a noob RBA question - I've got an iTaste VV and I'm thinking of getting a Smok RSST and venturing down the rabbit hole of RBA's. Would I need to / would it be advisable get a more powerful battery when getting into RBA's? I'm sure that all depends on the ohms of the coils I'll be making but this will be my 1st RBA so this is more of a "feeler" question

It will work on the VV, depending on the resistance of the coil. My RSST is set up to 1.3ohms and it worked fine when I tested it on the VV. The only problem is that the RSST has a 22mm diameter which makes it look a bit odd on the VV, I use mine on the SVD or Vamo where it looks perfect. With a variable wattage device you don't need to go too low on the coil resistance as you can just up the power if necessary, I run mine at around 9 watts. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks a mil for the info guys :)

Going the RBA route for me is the next step. Was going to hold off on the RBA till some time next year or so as I'm not very DIY-inclined so didn't want to get in over my head. But after watching a few youtube videos I think it might be something that I can learn relatively quick. I'm sure like with most new things there'll be a learning curve but I think even someone like me being DIY-challenged can eventually get the hang of it.

The reason for my battery question is that currently I've got an iTaste VV and 2 eGo batteries. The VV being my main device and I essentially only whip out the eGo batteries when my VV runs out and I'm nowhere near a USB port :oops: So I've been thinking maybe it's time to get another VV / VW battery. I was thinking of getting another iTaste VV because I like the small form factor for portability and I figure if I've got 2 of them then the combined "capacity" / vaping time of the 2 should keep me going through a day's worth of vaping.

But now I'm also thinking if I shouldn't go for something with more capacity like the SVD. I've played around on an SVD and I like it. Only downside being that it isn't as stick-in-your-pocket size as the VV. But I'm figuring if I stick a 2600mAh battery in there then I might learn to live with the weight / size "disadvantage" given the super boost in vape time. Plus as @JB1987 said an RSST (and my iClear 30s) will look nice on it too ;)

@Matthee - Thanks for doing the research and at such light speed :)

@JB1987 - Thanks for the info and the styling tip :p

So I guess the real question for me is - Is the difference in price between the VV and the SVD worth the extra vape time? I'm not sure if the SVD offers any other advantages?

For me, no doubt the SVD. It can take 18350, 18500 and 18650 batteries, so it can be small if you want it to be. It is more powerful and has more features than the VV, the one that stands out for me is that it displays the remaining battery voltage whilst the VV only gives you a LED indication. This could be very handy should you go the mech way in future. But the biggest single advantage of the SVD for me is the fact that you need not be near a power source, you just slip in the spare battery you carry with you.

Good choice, I got the SVD on Tuesday and absolutely loving it. Here is a pic of the RSST on the SVD:
gady6a4u.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

now you guys got me going back to the thought of getting a SVD myself.

i was just about becoming content with my SLB

LOL just get one you will thank me later

the problem is the batteries and charger that needs to be bought with it- works out a bit too much for me

lets look at prices quick

what would a decent mech mod cost? incl batteries and charger

Riaz,
Where are you located?
I will give you a K100, charger, and 1 kamry battery for R350

I'm not really using the K100 any more. I prefer the KTS.

just watched this clip, thats the way I should start....got now a couple of old coils lying around.
Just need to organize some 28g Kanthal and wick, I guess.

just watched this clip, thats the way I should start....got now a couple of old coils lying around.
Just need to organize some 28g Kanthal and wick, I guess.

I have never tried that, the space to work in seems so small.

Is there a point to rebuilding a coil on a protank and using a "normal" electric mod with limited amps?
Will one get a much better vape experience?
Or is it just to see if you can do it and to save on costs?

Is there a point to rebuilding a coil on a protank and using a "normal" electric mod with limited amps?
Will one get a much better vape experience?
Or is it just to see if you can do it and to save on costs?
I think the commercial coils are 1.8 ohms at the lowest. So you can go down some, and I presume you can play around with wire and wicking materials to make it more to your liking. I have never done it, maybe the peeps that have done it, can help more.

I've used 1.8 ohm coils on a protank and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference, other than the vape feeling slightly warmer

I've used 1.8 ohm coils on a protank and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference, other than the vape feeling slightly warmer
The question for me is, what will happen at around 1.3 ohms. Where are the protank coil builders to tell us?

The question for me is, what will happen at around 1.3 ohms. Where are the protank coil builders to tell us?
I've done a .6 ohm coil on protank. Hot vape, plumes, but can only take 2 puffs every 20 seconds. Also, I did not have propper batteries. Protank is not known for ultimate wicking, so that is a strong downside to customizing your coils to an extreme.

I hope to become a protank coil builder over the holidays...I know this doesn't help right now :confused:

Thanks Crafty. Useful to know.

Devdev, we want a full report once you've tried ;-)

Back