Good Beginner's Rba - What Do You Suggest?

Silver

Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi all

What do you suggest I try as my first rebuildable atomiser (RBA)?

Ultimately, I have my sights on the REO with REOMIZER (thanks to Matthee), but initially I would like to experience building a coil and seeing what the vape is like on a good RBA. (compared to my somewhat more "standard" kit - PT2 etc)

I think Matthee once suggested I give the IGO-L a try since its easy to work on and vapes well. Youtube reviews I've watched seem to confirm that this is a good starting point. So too did some posts I saw on ECF. The only negative they say is the screws don't have holes in them so its a bit tricky to fasten the wires down.

The other problem with the IGO-L is local availability. I don't know where to get it easily. Matthee, you did mention that someone was looking to bring them in by December, I cant remember who that was. Was it SkyBlue?

Are there any others that I could try that would be fairly easy to set up and still give a good vape experience.

My aim here is to see what a so called "better" vape is all about. I guess I am more of a throat hit and flavour person than someone who wants massive clouds.

howsit Silver1

im also in the same boat as you

i ordered my igo l from fast tech earlier this week. i also did some research and this one came up as a good starting point.

i should probably receive mine by the end of the month- long wait but i hope its worth it

I cant help you here :p I am a complete noob when it comes to building coils :p

I think (And this is just opinion) that the RSST looks super easy :p but like I said I cant help you here (Girls shouldnt build coils anyway hehe :p )

if you just want to practice coil building, your protank is waiting for you to fiddle away. build a lower ohm coil than the coils you are using at the moment. not only is that practice working with fiddly bits, but you will get an even better vape from your protank. :)

then go attack youtube and start doing the various protank coil build : microcoil, nonocoil, dual coil, dragon coil, kitchen sink coil (just kidding), chimney/vertical coil, turning your protank into a dripper coil setup.

basically just getting used to doing fiddly work with small objects to prepare yourself for the day when you get yourself a kayfun/rocket or RSST or some cheap 40 rand dripper you ordered from slowtech. for myself i ordered the aga t2 from slowtech which should be in the postbox any day now after about 6 weeks of waiting. what i did was browse fasttech and read a lot of reviews of drippers and rda type tanks, found one that was the right materials and size for my needs and which the reviews said is a good device and not too fiddly.

after building a coil for the rocket last friday i have to say those tiny screws are freakin tiny and getting the wires to sit properly under the screw and not pop out again as you tighten the screw is a mission and a half. that's why these youtube people always use much longer pieces of kanthal than the pure coil actually needs, longer wires = better leverage.

hope all this rambling actually helps, i 'm not much of a talker so i tend to ramble on sometimes ;)

if you just want to practice coil building, your protank is waiting for you to fiddle away. build a lower ohm coil than the coils you are using at the moment. not only is that practice working with fiddly bits, but you will get an even better vape from your protank. :)

then go attack youtube and start doing the various protank coil build : microcoil, nonocoil, dual coil, dragon coil, kitchen sink coil (just kidding), chimney/vertical coil, turning your protank into a dripper coil setup.

basically just getting used to doing fiddly work with small objects to prepare yourself for the day when you get yourself a kayfun/rocket or RSST or some cheap 40 rand dripper you ordered from slowtech. for myself i ordered the aga t2 from slowtech which should be in the postbox any day now after about 6 weeks of waiting. what i did was browse fasttech and read a lot of reviews of drippers and rda type tanks, found one that was the right materials and size for my needs and which the reviews said is a good device and not too fiddly.

after building a coil for the rocket last friday i have to say those tiny screws are freakin tiny and getting the wires to sit properly under the screw and not pop out again as you tighten the screw is a mission and a half. that's why these youtube people always use much longer pieces of kanthal than the pure coil actually needs, longer wires = better leverage.

hope all this rambling actually helps, i 'm not much of a talker so i tend to ramble on sometimes ;)

im trying to download the youtube clip but cant.

please help

the download buttons dont give me any options in the drop down

Girls build the best coils ever, they are neat and organised. And used to working with small things:D.

The RSST does look like a relatively easy build, but I have only seen them done with SS mesh, and SS rope lately, which can be tricky for a beginner. @TylerD has experience with the RSST and can maybe comment. Also, the RSST is a tank system and not a dripper like the Igo-L. A tank is great for extended vaping. A dripper normally gives better flavour, throat hit and vapour, but needs to be constantly replenished, which can be a hassle if used as your all day device. As a secondary device the Igo-L is great for testing juices, especially with a cotton wick, which you can just replace for each new juice.

Yes, the Igo-L does not have holes for the wire and the posts are relatively close, but still an easy build as far as RBAs go. If you can build an Igo-L the Reomizer2 will be like a walk in the park - it has holes and the posts are the furthest apart from any RBA I have seen. It also has a ceramic bottom, which makes it a whole lot safer to build on. The Rocket/Kayfun was for me the most difficult of RBAs to build and filling them is a pita.

I think I saw somewhere that Skyblue might be bringing in some Igo-Ls, but I could be mistaken. Maybe PM Derick in this regard.

Hi Silver1

If you want to go for the IGO-L, I saw it on the VapeSa website (also on bidorbuy if you search them ) Here is a link:
http://www.vapesa.co.za/ProductView.aspx?ProductID=31737

It seems in stock and the price seems good, maybe just contact them to confirm. I have bought juice from them before, had no problems or hassles, the guy (I think his name is Gordon) was very helpful.

Hope this helps!
:)

I'm a big fan of the RSST, really easy to set up especially if you watch a few YouTube videos, Todd has some nice ones. That being said, it's also the first RBA I've owned but I have been rebuilding coils on Protanks, Evods & Vivi Nova's for some time. I would also love to get a decent dripper, something like the Igo-L.

Below is the video for Todd's review and tutorial on the RSST:

Here's a roundup of what I can see is available from the local places and my thoughts and comments where applicable

VapeKing
- Kayfun Lite Plus Clone - I read up on this on ECF and there were quite a few complaints about it not being made properly and things not screwing in properly. Gosh, why would I want that? One guy had to file down the screws or something.
- Rocket (Kayfun clone) - dont know much about this one, but looks like a good special on it by VapeKing. But is that because no-one wants to buy it?

SkyBlue
- Smok RSST - dont know much about this

Cape Vaping Supplies (CVS)
- Also the Smok RSST - on special
- Helios, Pulse Genesis and Steam Turbine - not sure if these 3 are still available, this was a post from CVS from last week - but his site is not updated. I have no clue about these devices, but they do appear a bit more advanced. At least the pictures look like they are.

eCiggies
- Vision Eternity - watched a PBusardo video review on this. He likes the throat hit and vapour but says the flavour is a bit diminished. Works in two modes. But it looks very small and difficult to work on. Not sure if this is an ideal starting point. I also want flavour and throat hit. So perhaps starting out with something that is said to mute the flavour slightly is not a good thing to start on.

VapeMob
- Magoo RBA - thats about all I could see on their site that looks rebuildable. Dont know much about this but at R1,199, it is expensive

Any ideas?

but as was posted somewhere else a little while ago, coming very soon for the rsst is the glass tank part, right now it's plastic and we all know some juices like to eat glass for breakfast

ok i played around and came to this site:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001137.htm

basically paste the url into the box and click download :)

happy days

also to all those using firefox as your browser, get an addon called FlashGot. this handy little utility is free and will allow you to download to your hard drive most videos playing in your browser for later viewing again, on most you even get a choice of different sizes and qualities for people like me who don't have a big internet cap

Hi Silver1

If you want to go for the IGO-L, I saw it on the VapeSa website (also on bidorbuy if you search them ) Here is a link:
http://www.vapesa.co.za/ProductView.aspx?ProductID=31737

It seems in stock and the price seems good, maybe just contact them to confirm. I have bought juice from them before, had no problems or hassles, the guy (I think his name is Gordon) was very helpful.

Hope this helps!
:)

Many thanks Vapey! I will definitely give them a call and check them out. Wonder why they not on this forum?

Here's a roundup of what I can see is available from the local places and my thoughts and comments where applicable

VapeKing
- Kayfun Lite Plus Clone - I read up on this on ECF and there were quite a few complaints about it not being made properly and things not screwing in properly. Gosh, why would I want that? One guy had to file down the screws or something.
- Rocket (Kayfun clone) - dont know much about this one, but looks like a good special on it by VapeKing. But is that because no-one wants to buy it?

SkyBlue
- Smok RSST - dont know much about this

Cape Vaping Supplies (CVS)
- Also the Smok RSST - on special
- Helios, Pulse Genesis and Steam Turbine - not sure if these 3 are still available, this was a post from CVS from last week - but his site is not updated. I have no clue about these devices, but they do appear a bit more advanced. At least the pictures look like they are.

eCiggies
- Vision Eternity - watched a PBusardo video review on this. He likes the throat hit and vapour but says the flavour is a bit diminished. Works in two modes. But it looks very small and difficult to work on. Not sure if this is an ideal starting point. I also want flavour and throat hit. So perhaps starting out with something that is said to mute the flavour slightly is not a good thing to start on.

VapeMob
- Magoo RBA - thats about all I could see on their site that looks rebuildable. Dont know much about this but at R1,199, it is expensive

Any ideas?
Silver, first you have to decide if you want a tank (genesis style) system or a dripper, or both.

As to tank systems: No doubt for me that the RSST is the best one for beginners. The Magoo RBA and Kayfun/Rocket are difficult to build and not forgiving at all.

As to drippers: Yes, I think CVS's are more advanced and I will not recommend as beginner RBAs. Still think the Igo-L is the best to start with. The Vision Eternity is a hybrid - can be used as a dripper and with a tank. I have researched the Eternity some time ago and the result was not good - poor quality on the posts and centre pin, average vape and very fiddly to build.

Thank you all for the highly valuable comments and suggestions!

Matthee, I think at this stage, I just want to see what the so called "better vape experience" is and I like the idea of using it to test flavours. So looks like the IGO-L is what I will start with.

Denizen, thanks for your comments too on using my PT2 to practice building coils. But I think its quite small and I quite like this device as one of my mainstays for the meantime, so wouldn't want to be "decommissioning" it now for testing purposes if you know what I mean.

I now totally see why this "hobby" is a journey...

Matthee, I think the journey is worth it if one ends up with the REO ;-)

hmm, good thread for the advance to higher fumes :D

I will still stay on my current setup for another month or two... but it seems inevitable anyway. I probably would like to go the dripper way as a next step.
There are already so many "projects" in my mind for this...

im trying to download the youtube clip but cant.

please help

FireFox and ( download flash and video) plugin

just click on the icon in the corner and choose the vid to download on the page in format and quality you want
Capture.JPG

VapeMob

Any ideas?
Magoo is another Ithaka clone. The FT clone is better in all ways except for one. The magoo comes with glass tank, where the FT clone does not. But not even the real Ithaka from Golden Greek has a real glass section.
The positive connection pin on this is spring loaded, but not fully adjustable like the GG ithaka & FT ithaka.

Magoo is another Ithaka clone. The FT clone is better in all ways except for one. The magoo comes with glass tank, where the FT clone does not. But not even the real Ithaka from Golden Greek has a real glass section.
The positive connection pin on this is spring loaded, but not fully adjustable like the GG ithaka & FT ithaka.
Presume will then also take resistance and non-resistance wire to build?

Yes, I believe so. A bit hard to come by as the main suppliers do not always have stock. I've seen FT stocks it though, but not sure of quality. I got mine from a US supplier, and quite happy with it. Using silver wire on the ends, and kanthal in the middle.
Ideally one should get a wire zapper with any of these that will cost you in the region of R500.

Here's a noob RBA question - I've got an iTaste VV and I'm thinking of getting a Smok RSST and venturing down the rabbit hole of RBA's. Would I need to / would it be advisable get a more powerful battery when getting into RBA's? I'm sure that all depends on the ohms of the coils I'll be making but this will be my 1st RBA so this is more of a "feeler" question

Back