Help With Eleaf Pico setup

There is no right or wrong answer here bud. The higher you crank it up the more clouds and to a degree flavour you will get technically. HOWEVER going too high you will just cook your juice and burn your cotton as the wicking can't keep up and you'll get dry hits. I fell in the same trap and ramped my voltage all the way up in the beginning for an initial boost in flavour. However after dead coils and realising how much cooking your juice mutes the flavours it's not worth it.
The 0.5 is designed for a more low watt MTL vape, the lower ohm coils are more for DTL vapes.

Honestly, you're fighting a losing battle with the Melo3 tank and coils. You're trying to get a KIA Picanto to compete with a BMW. Sure, you can change this and drill out that etc... In the end it's still not going to be what you want. Best to just cut your losses and bite the bullet for a proper RTA. Also, much cheaper in the long run vs getting a new coil every week.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also something that hasn't been mentioned is the Melo's chronic tendency to create an Airlock.
Basically not enough air is able to get into the tank and replace the used up juice creating a vacuum. So the cotton isn't getting enough juice and flavour is crap. You'll notice if after a few hits you open the top a bunch of bubbles escape from the bottom.
This is probably the biggest issue with the Melo tank.
To remedy, after every few hits unscrew the top cap a smidge.
Also the poking holes in the cotton technique mentioned earlier helps to a degree.

Last edited:
Also something that hasn't been mentioned is the Melo's chronic tendency to create an Airlock.
Basically not enough air is able to get into the tank and replace the used up juice creating a vacuum. So the cotton isn't getting enough juice and flavour is crap. You'll notice if after a few hits you open the top a bunch of bubbles escape from the bottom.
This is probably the biggest issue with the Melo tank.
To remedy, after every few hits unscrew the top cap a smidge.
Also the poking holes in the cotton technique mentioned earlier helps to a degree.

Thanks bud and you right the tank will have to go to get the best out of rhis device. Any recommendations for a good RDA for a noob like me?

Ive been playing with preheat and the .5 coil tho and its okay. Huge imorovement. And yes I know about those bubbles but mine behaves okay.
Took apart the old coil too and yes see that even after you remove the coil and wick that theres cotton built into the sleeves and out of the 4 holes only 2 go straight though while the other two dont. I think this in itself is the biggest weakness.

I am gonna try the Ceramic coils as a lot of guys seem to enjoy the flavour better.

But yes def look into an RDA if I feel brave..otherwise the Smok Spiral Plus might be my homerun as I can buy coils premade .makes my life easy...A 30 Styvussent a day cost me R60. Think a coil a week is R70 on spirals so a massive saving either way(yes Im really that scared Ill blow something up )

Thanks bud and you right the tank will have to go to get the best out of rhis device. Any recommendations for a good RDA for a noob like me?

Ive been playing with preheat and the .5 coil tho and its okay. Huge imorovement. And yes I know about those bubbles but mine behaves okay.
Took apart the old coil too and yes see that even after you remove the coil and wick that theres cotton built into the sleeves and out of the 4 holes only 2 go straight though while the other two dont. I think this in itself is the biggest weakness.

I am gonna try the Ceramic coils as a lot of guys seem to enjoy the flavour better.

But yes def look into an RDA if I feel brave..otherwise the Smok Spiral Plus might be my homerun as I can buy coils premade .makes my life easy...A 30 Styvussent a day cost me R60. Think a coil a week is R70 on spirals so a massive saving either way(yes Im really that scared Ill blow something up )
The SXK Hadaly is always an option.. it's surprisingly restricted for an RDA lung hit and has tons of flavour. Tons. Or the authentic Hadaly, of course.. but the SXK version is easier to get and usually available locally.

The Spirals coils should definitely last longer than a week :) I say "should" cos these things are temperamental, but even EC coils lasted me up to 2 weeks and those things are pretty shyte.

The SXK Hadaly is always an option.. it's surprisingly restricted for an RDA lung hit and has tons of flavour. Tons. Or the authentic Hadaly, of course.. but the SXK version is easier to get and usually available locally.

The Spirals coils should definitely last longer than a week :) I say "should" cos these things are temperamental, but even EC coils lasted me up to 2 weeks and those things are pretty shyte.

Will the Spiral Plus fit on the Pico tho because of the battery? I know the normal Spiral should but its a 2ML tank only.
Any place locally that sells the adapter to raise the tank to clear the battery cap?

Also with an RDA that means Ill have to drip juice onto the coil every few puffs or am I mistaken? If so Id rather prefer a tank that could give me the best possible flavour

Will the Spiral Plus fit on the Pico tho because of the battery? I know the normal Spiral should but its a 2ML tank only.
Any place locally that sells the adapter to raise the tank to clear the battery cap?

Also with an RDA that means Ill have to drip juice onto the coil every few puffs or am I mistaken? If so Id rather prefer a tank that could give me the best possible flavour
The Spirals will fit, yes. The Plus won't, the battery cap is in the way. (Sorry, I misphrased it in my initial post.. I meant the normal one will fit, not the Plus - my bad). You can get heatsinks here, though: http://vapeguy.co.za/22mm-heat-sink?search=heat sink
You'll have to measure the battery cap's height, and compare it to that of the heatsink to make sure you're covered. Maybe a good option would be this:
http://vapeguy.co.za/eleaf-pico-25-85W-mod?search=pico 25
For future-proofing? Depends on your budget, of course.

With an RDA you have to drip, yes - unless you get a squonking mod (and an RDA with a BF pin). That could be a steep initial expense. I prefer the RDA's for when I test my DIY juices, as I only test a few drops at a time. That said, there are plenty people who use RDA's by just dripping into them. Hence the name, I guess :p

The cost of a pack or two of commercial coils, and with eleaf probably one dud in each, can end up being costly if you are not getting good use from each coil.. A rebuildable tank, some wire and cotton is really much better value.. You will be restricted to 22mm tanks because of the Pico, so you will buy a 22mm, then you will try a friends 24mm and want that, then you will need a new mod to fit a 24mm..long story short, throw your calculator away and always tell yourself that it's all about the health benefits and not to save money so you won't be disappointed!

The eleaf coils do well with a good run in.. saturate, dry puff without firing and start using it low and keep it low for a bit till it runs in and gradually up the power.. you will taste where it feels right and when it starts to struggle with wicking.. Maximum wattage on eleaf coils have never performed well in my experience and for better coil life I would stay much below that..

Search ceramic coils there is plenty of info about the different Vaporesso coils that have been used in the Melo.. Coilart make coils that work in the Melo as well but I didn't like those much.. If you are looking to go higher ohm with higher nicotine to get a more restricted draw like smoking then there are a few Aspire coils that work in the Melo but I have not tried these.. Rewicking the eleaf coils might be a stretch especially if you are unfamiliar with rebuilding and don't have the tools but won't hurt to pull one apart and see for yourself..

IMO the Big Baby Beast is far superior to the Melo for outright flavor but they both are very different tanks and not closely matched.. consider something with a good RBA deck that also takes commercial coils so you have options..

I also have a new tank coming in tomorrow... is this a sign? :p
Well I'll tell you this. If I can get a commercial coil to dry-hit at normal wattages, I deserve a bloody award.

Well I'll tell you this. If I can get a commercial coil to dry-hit at normal wattages, I deserve a bloody award.
With the quality control on Smok coils lately I would actually not be too surprised :(

My 2c:
The Melo tanks and EC coils are not great. A 5/10 in flavour at best. (Stay away from the triton coils, they taste like an old tyre *shudder*) Maybe give the ceramics a try, however don't expect a night and day difference.
The Pico is a great little mod, however restricted as it only takes 22mm Attys and a single battery means you gotta carry at least one spare.
Maybe look at getting a nice 22mm rebuildable RDA for bags of flavour and keep that setup for home. A RDA gives you about a dozen hits, kinda like a cig before you need to refill. So perfect for "smoke breaks". Keep an eye on the classifieds and you should be able to snag something nice for cheap.
Ideally you should be looking at a decent twin battery mod and a single coil RTA.
Something like the Amit, Serpent or OBS Engine Nano.
Don't be afraid of rebuildables. Building is dead simple and you really can't mess up much. An hour of youtube tutorials and you're sorted.

The cost of a pack or two of commercial coils, and with eleaf probably one dud in each, can end up being costly if you are not getting good use from each coil.. A rebuildable tank, some wire and cotton is really much better value.. You will be restricted to 22mm tanks because of the Pico, so you will buy a 22mm, then you will try a friends 24mm and want that, then you will need a new mod to fit a 24mm..long story short, throw your calculator away and always tell yourself that it's all about the health benefits and not to save money so you won't be disappointed!

The eleaf coils do well with a good run in.. saturate, dry puff without firing and start using it low and keep it low for a bit till it runs in and gradually up the power.. you will taste where it feels right and when it starts to struggle with wicking.. Maximum wattage on eleaf coils have never performed well in my experience and for better coil life I would stay much below that..

Search ceramic coils there is plenty of info about the different Vaporesso coils that have been used in the Melo.. Coilart make coils that work in the Melo as well but I didn't like those much.. If you are looking to go higher ohm with higher nicotine to get a more restricted draw like smoking then there are a few Aspire coils that work in the Melo but I have not tried these.. Rewicking the eleaf coils might be a stretch especially if you are unfamiliar with rebuilding and don't have the tools but won't hurt to pull one apart and see for yourself..

IMO the Big Baby Beast is far superior to the Melo for outright flavor but they both are very different tanks and not closely matched.. consider something with a good RBA deck that also takes commercial coils so you have options..

This is all too true :D:D:D I can already see myself wanting more and more:D

Honestly though, the Big Baby Beast, I could taste almost every single ingredient of the SNVL for example where in the Melo it was just a muted taste of something. So just based on that what RTA would work for me, if I can buy premade coils, great, if I have to make and its not complicated no problem I will learn. Dont want and RDA cause I vape a lot so to refill a lot more is a bit annoying, and I drive a lot so dont want stuff leaking all over my car( ejuice is some pretty messy stuff:eek:).
Im not scared to spend a little bit now as Im really trying to give up this disgusting habit for good, I tried both the Zyban and the Champix and not only did they make me feel terrible, it didnt do much. This is the first time Im doing so well.

And yes if later on I desire something a bit more I will be on here to ask recommendations, but for now I just want that extra bit of flavour

My 2c:
The Melo tanks and EC coils are not great. A 5/10 in flavour at best. (Stay away from the triton coils, they taste like an old tyre *shudder*) Maybe give the ceramics a try, however don't expect a night and day difference.
The Pico is a great little mod, however restricted as it only takes 22mm Attys and a single battery means you gotta carry at least one spare.
Maybe look at getting a nice 22mm rebuildable RDA for bags of flavour and keep that setup for home. A RDA gives you about a dozen hits, kinda like a cig before you need to refill. So perfect for "smoke breaks". Keep an eye on the classifieds and you should be able to snag something nice for cheap.
Ideally you should be looking at a decent twin battery mod and a single coil RTA.
Something like the Amit, Serpent or OBS Engine Nano.
Don't be afraid of rebuildables. Building is dead simple and you really can't mess up much. An hour of youtube tutorials and you're sorted.

Just one thing though - single-battery mods have the same battery life (in mAh) as double-battery mods connected in series. The only difference is the amount of volts you can put out.

This is all too true :D:D:D I can already see myself wanting more and more:D

Honestly though, the Big Baby Beast, I could taste almost every single ingredient of the SNVL for example where in the Melo it was just a muted taste of something. So just based on that what RTA would work for me, if I can buy premade coils, great, if I have to make and its not complicated no problem I will learn. Dont want and RDA cause I vape a lot so to refill a lot more is a bit annoying, and I drive a lot so dont want stuff leaking all over my car( ejuice is some pretty messy stuff:eek:).
Im not scared to spend a little bit now as Im really trying to give up this disgusting habit for good, I tried both the Zyban and the Champix and not only did they make me feel terrible, it didnt do much. This is the first time Im doing so well.

And yes if later on I desire something a bit more I will be on here to ask recommendations, but for now I just want that extra bit of flavour
Well one thing I like about the Spirals Plus (and many other tanks) is that it has an RBA coilhead that you can build on. Having said that, I still haven't received mine so can't give an opinion on it yet.

I have an Engine Nano (which is good), and an Ammit 25 (which is overhyped to be honest, but it's not BAD). Each has their place.

Yup,
RDA isn't for you then at this stage. Don't drip and drive

Also keep in mind that the best thing you can do for flavour is kicking the stinkies totally. Easier said than done, I know. Juices that tastes like vague nothing when I started are complex and jummy now a few weeks later.

Okay I think I may have good news but need you guys input. My friend really wants to buy my Pico off me. Not losing anything.
Should I let it go and get something better now. And if so what would you guys recommend?
Hehehe flip this vaping thing is crazy

Yup, you have started your journey down the rabbit hole...
Yeah, get your friend vaping and snag yourself an upgrade.
I'm assuming you're not looking to drop a bundle on some premium gear right away.
Maybe look at the Alien220 kit with the TFV8 then get a rebuildable deck. Tried and tested and best of both worlds I'd say. Also the Vapresso Revenger kit is a option. It uses the same coils as the TFV8 as far as I know (double check that first however).

Yup, you have started your journey down the rabbit hole...
Yeah, get your friend vaping and snag yourself an upgrade.
I'm assuming you're not looking to drop a bundle on some premium gear right away.
Maybe look at the Alien220 kit with the TFV8 then get a rebuildable deck. Tried and tested and best of both worlds I'd say. Also the Vapresso Revenger kit is a option. It uses the same coils as the TFV8 as far as I know (double check that first however).

Hahahah you right sir...Far down the rabbit hole I dont mind spending some money on a good setup . As long as I can get some good flavour then yes Ill be ready for it.

What are your airflow preferences? You say you are currently favoring a MTL style but are going towards a restricted DTL style right? Do you have the Melo full open, or a bit closed? On your friends V8 stick, did you enjoy the extra airflow or not so much?

What are your airflow preferences? You say you are currently favoring a MTL style but are going towards a restricted DTL style right? Do you have the Melo full open, or a bit closed? On your friends V8 stick, did you enjoy the extra airflow or not so much?

On Melo and Smok I always preferred it on 1/ to just before a half open. I think I still do MTL hits but with a bit more of Direct Lung too, its hard to explain. I enjoyed them both more in the middle. Kinda like the perfect amount of loosness and tightness(thats what she said)

Ok, so not a dedicated MTL setup then.
For straight out the box with pre-built coils available I'd say any smok device with the big baby beast. Alien, G-Priv or T-Priv.
A step up would be the Smok Spiral plus or a Crown III.
Pure RTA's good options are the Serpent SMM, Engine Nano, Ammit 25.
Mods I'd say a Voopoo Drag, Smoant Charon or a Minikin boost/v2.

Last edited:
Pitty Pretoria is a bit of a drive for you as Vapecon is end of the month and you'd be able to get things at crazy discounts.

Those are my thoughts along with my bias. More experienced guys can probably give you better more tailored advice.

Id love to do Vapecon but its both the Swazi Rally and Mayweather vs Mcgregor that weekend.

Is there a difference with the Smok Mods and the mods like the Voodoo or is it mostly down to the tank.

The Spiral Plus has better Flavour than the Big Baby beast?
Im I right in assuming if I get the Smok kits that I couod always add a different head when I kike and thats where most of the flavour comes from?

Back