High Nic - Why not sub-ohm?

Lovely posts @RichJB
Very well explained

@Hooked, so you are a MTL and closet DL vaper - lol

Just FYI, i was a MTL vaper for about the first year and did not like DL at all - made me cough. In retrospect it was probably because the juice was too strong, haha.

Anyhow, nowadays I am about 50/50 MTL/DL. I still cant DL first thing in the morning. Its MTL only with coffee and usually a tobacco juice. I doubt i will ever transition to DL exclusively because i like the throat hit sensation i get from MTL. Its different to DL. I like that short sharp punch with a strong juice in MTL.

I began as a mtl Vaper @Hooked, because it was the only way to smoke a cigarette, well as far as I knew anyway.

Around six months later I began to experiment with direct lung hits, and found the experience to be very liberating. It seemed to open up another world of possibilities in terms of Flavour, devices, and the throat hit.

I like a short restricted direct inhale with 18mg, this seems to give excellent body to the flavour, and makes me feel at peace with the world:rolleyes:

It's the tightness of the draw. If you open up the airflow slots on a DL atty, put it to your lips and block your nose, you can breathe quite normally through the drip it. The atty allows a lot of airflow through it. Now try putting an unlit cigarette to your lips, blocking your nose, and breathing in through the cigarette filter. You will very quickly run out of oxygen as you can't breathe in enough with each inhale to meet your needs. The tobacco and the filter are packed too tightly to allow unrestricted airflow.

MTL tanks are designed to replicate that tight, restricted draw of a cigarette. So their airflow slots are much smaller/narrower than a DL atty and the drip tip will usually be narrower too. The idea is to give you a tight draw with not much airflow, similar to a cigarette. This is also why many beginner vapers prefer MTL, it is closer to the sensation of smoking a cigarette so they are accustomed to it. It feels 'weird' to transition straight from smoking to DL as it's a different inhale sensation.

@RichJB You are so good at explaining things. Are you a teacher? If not, you should be! And you should write articles for that Vaper Mag too! Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply in detail to my questions - much appreciated! :inlove:

I began as a mtl Vaper @Hooked, because it was the only way to smoke a cigarette, well as far as I knew anyway.

Around six months later I began to experiment with direct lung hits, and found the experience to be very liberating. It seemed to open up another world of possibilities in terms of Flavour, devices, and the throat hit.

I like a short restricted direct inhale with 18mg, this seems to give excellent body to the flavour, and makes me feel at peace with the world:rolleyes:

@Alex got me onto direct lung hits back in the day ;-)
Love your style of vaping Alex and thanks for your influences back then!

@Alex Interesting! Perhaps at the vape meet that is going to be organised in Cape Town I'll meet someone who has a DL device and give it a try.

Lovely posts @RichJB
Very well explained

@Hooked, so you are a MTL and closet DL vaper - lol

Just FYI, i was a MTL vaper for about the first year and did not like DL at all - made me cough. In retrospect it was probably because the juice was too strong, haha.

Anyhow, nowadays I am about 50/50 MTL/DL. I still cant DL first thing in the morning. Its MTL only with coffee and usually a tobacco juice. I doubt i will ever transition to DL exclusively because i like the throat hit sensation i get from MTL. Its different to DL. I like that short sharp punch with a strong juice in MTL.

@Silver I also like a good throat hit, which is one of the reasons why I enjoy the Gusto Mini nic salt pods so much. It will be interesting to see how the juices with nic salts are.

so just a few corrections. releases benzine not benzoic acid - acid of benzoates is considered (Generally Regarded as Safe) GRAS. only certain nicotine salt formulations may result in the release of benzine. this is a secondary chemical reaction which may or may not take place at high heats depending on the presence of certain chemical environments. that's the short answer. so it may not alway result in the release of benzine.

In studies where the benzene levels in the e-cigarette aerosols were measured using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, no benzene was detected in the JUUL-type system (particularly in the JUUL, one of the most popular nicotine salt pen vape systems @ 59mgml nicotine salt concentrations). Benzene formation was detected using higher watt devices (approx 5000 micrograms) whereas a traditional cigarette was found to release up to 40 times more (approx 200 000 micrograms of benzene). so the exposure to benzine is also vastly lower than in smoking.

but this is not the main reason for only using it in high-ohm, low watts setups.

Heat destroys the nicotine salts. so by vaping nicotine salts at high wattages th Nicotine salt unbinds and you end up pretty much vaping a nicotine with the same effect as a free base nicotine

So if you consider that the nicsalts are destroyed at high temps... then the benzine argument really becomes a moot point.

Nic salts are strictly for use in high-ohm, low-watt setups. there are valid reasons for that. using nicsalts in a sub ohm device is like pouring petrol in a diesel motor.

Last edited:
Back