Highway vaping

Ya, very well said @Amir : "Your only saving grace is your attention to the road, and the ability to remain calm."

I do feel bad to bring this very sobering topic up when the thread was getting jovial - but I felt compelled. And this is something I feel very strongly about.

/start rant

The amount of people I see on the road texting without looking in front of them while going quite fast is astounding. I wish I could just press a button and a baseball bat would hit them in the face somehow. That will wake them up. They should be taken off the road. :mad:

My other comment on this is that I would rather at least have myself paying attention and trying to avoid a disaster than both me and the other driver not paying attention. Half of the equation is better than none.

/rant over

Ya, very well said @Amir : "Your only saving grace is your attention to the road, and the ability to remain calm."

I do feel bad to bring this very sobering topic up when the thread was getting jovial - but I felt compelled. And this is something I feel very strongly about.

/start rant

The amount of people I see on the road texting without looking in front of them while going quite fast is astounding. I wish I could just press a button and a baseball bat would hit them in the face somehow. That will wake them up. They should be taken off the road. :mad:

My other comment on this is that I would rather at least have myself paying attention and trying to avoid a disaster than both me and the other driver not paying attention. Half of the equation is better than none.

/rant over

Rant accepted on account of severity of situation at hand.

I just drive with the window open. And if it gets really windy I also open the passenger window a crack.
Come on you bearded men are suppose to be the Alpha's.... LOL

/start rant

/rant over

Saw a oke the other day on the highway, and i kid you not, the moggel was using his laptop on his lap while doing a propper 140km/h...

I hooted and threw gang signs, he returned the favour and just carried on...

Now check, I'm all for multitasking, but bloody hell, when you get behind the wheel or handlebars for that matter pay attention and be vigilant, there are some really daft people out there.

Saw a oke the other day on the highway, and i kid you not, the moggel was using his laptop on his lap while doing a propper 140km/h...

I hooted and threw gang signs, he returned the favour and just carried on...

Now check, I'm all for multitasking, but bloody hell, when you get behind the wheel or handlebars for that matter pay attention and be vigilant, there are some really daft people out there.

The reality about that guy is that he is being selfish.

He is hurtling down a road with a projectile that weighs around 1.5 tons or more - with enough energy at 140km/h to cause serious destruction. But he puts his own emails or whatever he was doing before the lives of others. He should be taken out of his car and not given the opportunity to drive for a few years. See how quickly he gets his work done then.

I suppose most people will not understand that until they suffer the devastation of a bad accident. So I can understand (in a way) how this happens. But heck, even before our bad accident (and I've had a few smaller accidents before that) i would never use my laptop while going 140 km/h!

The reality about that guy is that he is being selfish.

He is hurtling down a road with a projectile that weighs around 1.5 tons or more - with enough energy at 140km/h to cause serious destruction. But he puts his own emails or whatever he was doing before the lives of others. He should be taken out of his car and not given the opportunity to drive for a few years. See how quickly he gets his work done then.

I suppose most people will not understand that until they suffer the devastation of a bad accident. So I can understand (in a way) how this happens. But heck, even before our bad accident (and I've had a few smaller accidents before that) i would never use my laptop while going 140 km/h!

Fully agreed @Silver the only sad part is that for him to learn his lesson, others must suffer and possibly even die in the process...

On a serious note, I feel compelled to say the following sincere comment on this thread - because this thread touches on the topic of vaping while driving.

Please drive safely and concentrate on the road.
Don't take your eyes off the road - a second can cost you your life or someone else's life

About 2 years ago we were T-boned at an intersection in JHB in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon by a guy in a ginormous Prado. He hit my wife's side (passenger door). He was going about 70. We were going very slow. Long story short, my wife got massive injuries. Fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung. And unfortunately, totally shattered spleen. They had to surgically remove her spleen that evening. Took us a year or so to recover. He and his partner had no injuries. While we will never know for sure, we think the cause was texting or a loss of concentration.

Since then, my phone stays in my man bag when I drive. I don't do anything that could distract me while driving. I watch everything like a hawk, even on the sides.

So rather text at a red robot and suffer an embarrassing hoot from the guy behind you than try do it on the highway or while driving. And that applies to anything that could detract from your concentration.

Trust me, it can happen so quick even if you don't think it will.

Apple's IOS 11 has now finally got the feature that it detects when you are driving and can then automatically put your phone in Do not disturb mode. Setup since I upgraded.

Sent by iDad from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apple's IOS 11 has now finally got the feature that it detects when you are driving and can then automatically put your phone in Do not disturb mode. Setup since I upgraded.

Sent by iDad from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is great to hear @RenaldoRheeder !
Wow

Fully agreed @Silver the only sad part is that for him to learn his lesson, others must suffer and possibly even die in the process...
If one thinks about it, drinking and driving is in fact "safer" than driving and blogging. The same if not more severe legislation should apply. Unfortunately this will only come into effect once government works out a way to generate big revenue from this in a way that allows the traffic cops to remain in the doughnut shop.

Regards

On a serious note, I feel compelled to say the following sincere comment on this thread - because this thread touches on the topic of vaping while driving.

Please drive safely and concentrate on the road.
Don't take your eyes off the road - a second can cost you your life or someone else's life

About 2 years ago we were T-boned at an intersection in JHB in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon by a guy in a ginormous Prado. He hit my wife's side (passenger door). He was going about 70. We were going very slow. Long story short, my wife got massive injuries. Fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung. And unfortunately, totally shattered spleen. They had to surgically remove her spleen that evening. Took us a year or so to recover. He and his partner had no injuries. While we will never know for sure, we think the cause was texting or a loss of concentration.

Since then, my phone stays in my man bag when I drive. I don't do anything that could distract me while driving. I watch everything like a hawk, even on the sides.

So rather text at a red robot and suffer an embarrassing hoot from the guy behind you than try do it on the highway or while driving. And that applies to anything that could detract from your concentration.

Trust me, it can happen so quick even if you don't think it will.
I don't like the idea of vaping and driving. It's distracting and besides, it's difficult to maintain a good grip on the steering wheel. When I drive I use Vinto Vape e-cigs, because they're the same shape as a cigarette and therefore easy to hold and they don't require any attention from me.

Just fog up your vision with huge clouds, pretend that your car is now haunted by an apparition - make life more exciting.

I put wind deflectors on the bakkie because I'm gatvol of my wife asking me to close the window when I want to vape and then my son repeating it (mummy's lil' parrot).

On the other note of all the options while driving. Whilst I have all these cool aids, I just mostly ignore all messages and calls etc while driving. I figure it can never be urgent enough to put myself in danger and it can wait until I get to my destination.

My wife does get annoyed though since she messages me to buy bread, milk, diamond rings, etc on the way home but I only read the message after supper.

Back