How to clean a copper mech the easy way

Cloudgeek

New Vaper
LV

Awards
I recently bought a old mech from another member with the idea of doing a cleaning and polishing how to.
I used the below method when restoring chrome bike parts, do not do this on poorly plated metals or anodized parts, this method is fine for brass, copper and stainless.
I think my end result was superb.
Here we go:
This is what the mech looked like when it arrived at home, some would doubt if it could be cleaned and repolished.
upload_2017-6-13_11-20-55.png

Here are the ingredients needed for the clean:
upload_2017-6-13_11-22-50.png

the lemon is not really necessary, unless the vinegar is too weak to clean the mech, either way, you can use 100% lemon juice from the shops (Sold in those little green bottles).

Step one:
Strip the mech and take out all delrin/plastic ( do not soak these, they will become brittle after time or discolour terribly ). Then soak in vinegar ( Best to use proper white spirit vinegar ).
upload_2017-6-13_11-26-39.png

Step two:
Make a thick paste with bicarbonate of soda and Vinegar/Lemon juice, the bicarb will fizz, nut once it has fizzed it will be a paste ( Remember, more bicarb than vinegar will be best )
upload_2017-6-13_11-29-9.png

this paste is then used with a sponge to scrub the mech as much as possible, between scrubs drop the mech in the vinegar and rinse it decently, check if you are happy and repeat the scrubs as many times as you wish or until you are satisfied with the result, like mine below
upload_2017-6-13_11-30-57.png

Step three:
Rinse the mech in vinegar for the last time to get the last bit of bicarb off and to be sure its been cleaned to your liking. Now wash it with some dishwashing liquid and thoroughly rinse under running water.
upload_2017-6-13_11-33-31.png

Now comes the fun part...

I have a little attachment that I screw into the mech and then spin it on my drill, you can use a carto for this, I just used an old attachment thingy that was laying around.
upload_2017-6-13_11-35-51.png
upload_2017-6-13_11-36-6.png
upload_2017-6-13_11-36-41.png

Step four:
Apply some autosol polish directly to the mech ( I prefer Autosol because it leaves a bit of a protective residue on the metal and can also be used on all metals. DO NOT USE IT ON PLATED METALS!!! )
upload_2017-6-13_11-39-27.png

Step five:

Slowly spin the drill , I reiterate, SLOWLY. Mine flew off and hit me square it the nugget, it was not fun, so here easy does it. Whilst spinning apply gentle pressure with a clean sponge.
upload_2017-6-13_11-41-15.png

Once you are happy that the mech is shiny enough you can put the sponge away and buff it with a clean microfiber whilst slowly spinning the drill.
upload_2017-6-13_11-42-51.png

If you do it right like I did above, it should take between 20 and 30 minutes to clean it properly.
I think my end result was more than I expected. I was a bit worried that the lazer etched logos may come off, but it didn't at all, so I can really recommend this method of cleaning. Below is my end result

upload_2017-6-13_11-43-52.png

Feel free to leave your opinions on this one:

Last edited:
Hi all, so I bought a old mech from another forum member and cleaned it up nicely, am I allowed to post a how to with pics etc, and will it be ok for me to post it here? #admin

Sure, no problem @Cloudgeek

Will be interesting to see what you did

If you want to sell it, then you should post in the Classifieds but if yare sharing how to clean a mech mod, then this is a great place in the Mech Mods subforum!

Sure, no problem @Cloudgeek

Will be interesting to see what you did

If you want to sell it, then you should post in the Classifieds but if yare sharing how to clean a mech mod, then this is a great place in the Mech Mods subforum!
Thanks I will upload the pics and the how too soon. Keep an eye out

Wow - thats super!
Thanks for sharing that @Cloudgeek !

Great work! The first pic looked like a write-off.

I haven't used Autosol before, is it like a dielectric grease? Do you apply it weekly when cleaning?

Great work! The first pic looked like a write-off.

I haven't used Autosol before, is it like a dielectric grease? Do you apply it weekly when cleaning?
Nope its a Liquid hydrocarbon based polish. It has a very high resistance to acidic oxidation and moisture oxidation, hence it is used by a lot of auto enthusiasts to renew old worn metal and chrome parts. The only slight downside is that it leaves a bit of a polish smell on the parts fro a while. Other than that, its probably the only polish I can recommend as it is not flammable and not electric conductive so it wont mess with your mechs conductivity.

This was an awesome read thanks for the info. What i want ti know.
I use the following items to clean my mech mod when i do a pit stop. What would yours @Cloudgeek and other mech owners opinion be on the cleaning items? 8156E71E-3DAF-4A3C-8F3F-B7E5C0DE5D9A.jpeg

This was an awesome read thanks for the info. What i want ti know.
I use the following items to clean my mech mod when i do a pit stop. What would yours @Cloudgeek and other mech owners opinion be on the cleaning items? View attachment 115160
I have never really used the bright spark stuff, will give it a try. I sometimes use a normal pencil eraser to clean the copper or brass mechs. Also good for removing arc marks on the battery ends or mech contacts

Back