How to stop smoking with vaping - collaboration

The document which was written by @RichJB is excellent for those who know someone who vapes, or who have already put their foot into the world of vaping. I didn't and hadn't - and if I had read such a document I would never have started vaping. Wattage ... ohms ... hell no, I'm not an electrician and I'm not mechanically-minded. Far too complicated for the likes of me. I think a beginner needs to start with a simple, pen-like device, where the most that needs to be done is to adjust the airflow.

Hi all

This has been on my mind for some time and I have discussed it with a few people already so am going to start now

I would like us to discuss and collaborate on putting together an awesome thread that can help new vapers to stop smoking more easily. The aim would be to put all the info in one place that would make it easier for a new vaper coming on the forum.

We often give the same advice to similar questions. So lets see if we can put something together that can be a reference point of sorts and something we can be proud of as an ECIGSSA initiative.

We are the enthusiasts and collectively we have a lot of knowledge about vaping. Many of us have been vaping for years and know lots of the tips and tricks to help newbies get off the stinkies. There are also many here that have recently quit smoking and their experiences on what worked can also help a lot.

Am thinking it should be wide enough to have info on a variety of topics (health, hardware, juice, motivation) but be concise enough that a new vaper can read it fairly quickly and get some direction fast.

So please share your ideas, contributions and comments below. Lets see where it goes and hopefully something good can come of it. Share your tips and tricks on what helped you to stop smoking with vaping.
My best advise is as @Silver said and I paraphrase, stick with it don't get discouraged.Also with the wealth of info available new vapers can find all the help they need to successfully quit.

OK, slow day waiting for a client to provide me with research for an article. So I wrote this one instead. It's a draft but I think it covers much of what new vapers want to know.

Very good write up. Explained a lot of things I'm still getting my head around.

And you must have a lot of patience with your clients if you can write all that while waiting for them.

If I can add a few cents, just to indicate that its different for each person.

I got a ciga-like about a year ago. Tried for a week but it didnt really do it for me. Ended up just helping me lower my cig intake during a braai. Because at a braai I could easily finish 2 packs. Its still lying somewhere in a dusty drawer.

A month ago I decided to give it a go again. Got the E-leaf Ikuu i80. A proper mod with a good tank. Instantly dropped from 30 a day to 5 a day without even trying. Now a month later I'm only having the odd smoke when work stress start to get to me. And then its usually just a puff from a collegue.

If I can add a few cents, just to indicate that its different for each person.

I got a ciga-like about a year ago. Tried for a week but it didnt really do it for me. Ended up just helping me lower my cig intake during a braai. Because at a braai I could easily finish 2 packs. Its still lying somewhere in a dusty drawer.

A month ago I decided to give it a go again. Got the E-leaf Ikuu i80. A proper mod with a good tank. Instantly dropped from 30 a day to 5 a day without even trying. Now a month later I'm only having the odd smoke when work stress start to get to me. And then its usually just a puff from a collegue.

I have to agree - starting with the "right" setup was very important to me. I started on the Smok Alien and it is still with me (in my hand right now in fact). At the time it was a mid range device for me with enough ease to use the basic settings that I needed with an option to "grow" later. Probably more important than that however, was to have a sales person with good knowledge and lots of patience. One that could explain and offer options and guide - not one that is chasing commission. Vaperite Port Elizabeth did all of that for me and here I am - eternally grateful that I walked into their store in April this year.

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Great thread @Silver .

Something I have been considering starting a thread on is the idea of experienced forumites offering to act as a mentor to new vapers.

A new vaper could ask ecigssa to allocate him/her a mentor to help answer all of their questions. They could PM each other ,phone, WhatsApp etc.

When I started vaping I had tons of simple questions which I felt were not important enough to create a thread. I solved this by doing my own research. This involved a lot of utube etc. I would have really appreciated being able to PM someone like @KZOR (or many others) to get straightforward answers from a vape guru.

Members could put their names forward to become a generalized mentor, coil builder, diy juice, technical etc. Ecigssa could then allocate mentors to new vapers or new coil builders etc.

Anyone think this is a worthwhile endeavor ?

imagesXCRSEK3G.jpg

The key thing imo is for new vapers to realise the questions they need to ask, before they even ask them. Things like battery safety and mech mods aren't intuitive, so new vapers don't realise that they lack the knowledge and therefore need to ask. There is no other appliance which uses batteries which pose a hazard. If you put batteries into a torch or remote or hand-held milk frother, it is not going to explode in your hand. So new vapers just assume that it will be the same with vape gear. That is where you get 5A batteries being used in mechs, or batteries with torn wraps still being used. There is no such thing as torn wraps on a Duracell battery. So it's knowledge that new vapers don't realise they need to know.

A vape dealer on Discord was telling me about a customer who removed the wraps from his batteries. He thought it was a dust cover, like the clear protective covers that you get on monitors or cell phone screens and peel off. So he cut his wraps and peeled them off. A few hours later, his mod went boom in his hand. But if he doesn't know and it's not intuitive, it is bound to happen to at least some vapers.

In terms of using vape as a quitting method i have observed two styles that seem to work.

The first is those that are able to buy a device and are then able to just drop the stinkies and never look back. The other is to vape while reducing cigarette use over time. I have observed pitfalls with these methods though. Many try to go cold turkey or attempt the reducing method and are then disillusioned when theory does not pan out in practice. There could be many reasons for it not working though and does not mean vaping is not for them.

I hope we can explore these and their possible solutions in this colab, i think it would be very valuable.

Regards

There is a tried and tested way to give up smoking. Don't put a cigarette between your lips.

To me the bottom line is that you need to make the choice to stop smoking.

Not this half assed lemme try it and have a pack of camel filters in my back pocket approach.

I don't believe the smoke reduction through vaping strategy pays dividends.

Make the choice. Grab a device and struggle through the journey.

If only it was as easy as that.
From the various opinions here both @BioHAZarD and @Hooked's approaches have merit. Thing is these approaches may not be what works for everyone.
The reason I want to explore all approaches is to give new vapers the ability to identify which may work for them and avoid people returning to smoking because they tried vaping and it did not work for them.
From my own experience both the devices I was using being incorrect and my expectations being unrealistic had me turn away from vaping twice before I received help, guidance and support from experienced people whom directed me towards the setups and methods that worked for me.
Vaping has made such a huge change in my quality of life that I want to share this experience with others and losing a potential convert just because they did not have access to the knowledge they require is such a shame and loss.

In terms of how I quit, I managed to reduce my tobacco to zero by simply vaping and having a smoke only when needed. My smoking frequency naturally reduced over time and the taste of cigarettes got worse and worse. This to the point that the thought of a smoke makes me feel nauseous.

Initially it bothered me that I was dual using but once I made peace with my "failure" to just stop smoking, the journey became pain and effortless. Kind of a natural process of vaping eliminating my need to smoke. Took me a full year of dual use but the results came in after all and that is all that matters.

Regards

From the various opinions here both @BioHAZarD and @Hooked's approaches have merit. Thing is these approaches may not be what works for everyone.
The reason I want to explore all approaches is to give new vapers the ability to identify which may work for them and avoid people returning to smoking because they tried vaping and it did not work for them.
From my own experience both the devices I was using being incorrect and my expectations being unrealistic had me turn away from vaping twice before I received help, guidance and support from experienced people whom directed me towards the setups and methods that worked for me.
Vaping has made such a huge change in my quality of life that I want to share this experience with others and losing a potential convert just because they did not have access to the knowledge they require is such a shame and loss.

In terms of how I quit, I managed to reduce my tobacco to zero by simply vaping and having a smoke only when needed. My smoking frequency naturally reduced over time and the taste of cigarettes got worse and worse. This to the point that the thought of a smoke makes me feel nauseous.

Initially it bothered me that I was dual using but once I made peace with my "failure" to just stop smoking, the journey became pain and effortless. Kind of a natural process of vaping eliminating my need to smoke. Took me a full year of dual use but the results came in after all and that is all that matters.

Regards
Yeah dude my way is not the gospel. Just what worked for me. Cold turkey and stuck to it.
But I do stand by the fact that you need to make a conscious decision to stop.

Yeah dude my way is not the gospel. Just what worked for me. Cold turkey and stuck to it.
But I do stand by the fact that you need to make a conscious decision to stop.
It is hard to admit but some of us do not have the self control needed for a cold turkey approach. Maybe not that but the times i stopped cold turkey without vaping I lived with the constant self doubt that I would fail in any case so why go trough the torment. It may be more an issue of self confidence rather than self control if I think about the above.

Regards

It is hard to admit but some of us do not have the self control needed for a cold turkey approach. Maybe not that but the times i stopped cold turkey without vaping I lived with the constant self doubt that I would fail in any case so why go trough the torment. It may be more an issue of self confidence rather than self control if I think about the above.

Regards
I honestly did not think I could do it either. I remember when I went out at night I would polish 2 packs without blinking.

What an awesome thread @Silver ! Something we can link smokers to as a quit smoking reference.

I started vaping as a method to quit smoking some time ago and it worked. What I discovered as I quit smoking is that cigarettes contain many other chemicals which you get addicted to and those chemicals aren't in ejuices so it still takes some commitment and self-discipline to do the quitting. Overall if you are dedicated and you keep sucking on that mod each time you want to smoke you can do it.

Vaping saved my health and my life really, if we can recommend vaping to smokers and help them to kick the bad habit it will be for the better.

Regards

I agree with you. But I have seen so many people fail after going cold turkey. Especially if they are surrounded by people that smoke.

And that was my problem for so long. Had a mother-in-law that smoked like a chimney that was living with us. When she moved out I decided to give vaping a go. Only now, a month later, can I say I'm off stinkies for good. When you are at work and things get tough its alwys easy to pop into the smoke shack and bum a drag of someone.

If only it was as easy as that.

@Adephi You're right - it's not easy. I think giving up smoking is one of the most difficult things to do and, having given up, to resist the temptation to start again. I know - I gave up a few times lol

I would like to share my story.I was a smoker for 15 years before i started vapeing on a twisp i then stoped smokeing completely without any troubles.
But one evening while haveing a few beers my device was a little bit "pap" so i smoked a stinkie or 2 and then my real strugle started for little over a year i smoked and vaped.Old @Constantbester. Tried his best to get me to quit without sucess.

So for my 2years of vapeing i was doing both stinkies and vapeing more than half of the way.I actually didn't want to stop it was only lekker to have all these nice devices and tanks and things.....(.and ime being honnest so please guys dont stone me to death lol)

But a while back i tried to stop again for two days it went good but again i fell back to. Stinkies until a friday 2 weeks ago i didn't have money for stinkies and that comeing monday my exams start but i decided f#*#k it i will continue vapeing and the first 4days was hell (for me) i was craveing the stinkies bad( die gewoonte van rook) but after that it got less and less and less and @Friep just told me(kom aan ou maat jy kan dit doen) for every single day he said those words and supported me.

So today i can proudly say ime 2weeks stinkie clean lol.

So to any new vaper who wants to stop smokeing those first 4 days is all it takes dont have stinkies near you dont drive to shoprite or die kafee or the grage.Just do it for yourself its a 4 day chalange. And all i can say is *KOMAAN OU MAAT JY KAN DIT DOEN*

To @Constantbester. And @Friep without you guys and your support i would have never made it.
And to everysingle forum member thank you for everything you did and all the help with coilz dwvices tanks.And all the help with every aspect i Thank you from the bottom of my hart.

I really love you ECIGSSA and every member for all the things that you do and all the kindness being shown on what is ecigssa!!!!!!!!

@Constantbester *jy mag maar nou ophou dryg om my vape te vat*:p
:-D

I agree with you. But I have seen so many people fail after going cold turkey. Especially if they are surrounded by people that smoke.

And that was my problem for so long. Had a mother-in-law that smoked like a chimney that was living with us. When she moved out I decided to give vaping a go. Only now, a month later, can I say I'm off stinkies for good. When you are at work and things get tough its alwys easy to pop into the smoke shack and bum a drag of someone.
@Adephi Who on earth could stop smoking if their mother-in-law is living with them? However, you have a good point about it being difficult if surrounded by smokers, although with me it was actually the opposite. I took great pride in my self-discipline by not smoking when I was with smokers! But I must say, I still love the smell of cigarette smoke - not in a stuffy smoker's room, but if there are smokers I make a point of standing/sitting near them so that I can get a whiff!

I would like to share my story.I was a smoker for 15 years before i started vapeing on a twisp i then stoped smokeing completely without any troubles.
But one evening while haveing a few beers my device was a little bit "pap" so i smoked a stinkie or 2 and then my real strugle started for little over a year i smoked and vaped.Old @Constantbester. Tried his best to get me to quit without sucess.

So for my 2years of vapeing i was doing both stinkies and vapeing more than half of the way.I actually didn't want to stop it was only lekker to have all these nice devices and tanks and things.....(.and ime being honnest so please guys dont stone me to death lol)

But a while back i tried to stop again for two days it went good but again i fell back to. Stinkies until a friday 2 weeks ago i didn't have money for stinkies and that comeing monday my exams start but i decided f#*#k it i will continue vapeing and the first 4days was hell (for me) i was craveing the stinkies bad( die gewoonte van rook) but after that it got less and less and less and @Friep just told me(kom aan ou maat jy kan dit doen) for every single day he said those words and supported me.

So to any new vaper who wants to stop smokeing those first 4 days is all it takes dont have stinkies near you dont drive to shoprite or die kafee or the grage.Just do it for yourself its a 4 day chalange. And all i can say is *KOMAAN OU MAAT JY KAN DIT DOEN*

To @Constantbester. And @Friep without you guys and your support i would have never made it.
And to everysingle forum member thank you for everything you did and all the help with coilz dwvices tanks.And all the help with every aspect i Thank you from the bottom of my hart.

I really love you ECIGSSA and every member for all the things that you do and all the kindness being shown on what is ecigssa!!!!!!!!

@Cor Wow! I take my hat off to you for not smoking at exam time! :Laie_22mini:For that you should be awarded an Honorary Doctorate! If you could get through exams without stinkies I reckon you could get through anything. Well done to you !!!

@Cor Wow! I take my hat off to you for not smoking at exam time! :Laie_22mini:For that you should be awarded an Honorary Doctorate! If you could get through exams without stinkies I reckon you could get through anything. Well done to you !!!
Thank you so much @Hooked i really appreciate that so so much:h:.I never believed i would stop smokeing and never in my life did i expect it to be in a time like this lol and in a few hours the last one will be in the bag.:)

Always lekker to read about all the people switching from smokes to vaping, gives myself a bit more motivation to keep on the vape train

Well done @Cor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back