I wish I knew this when I started vaping

I disagree. With a lot of HE, the hype is real 70% of the time. That's pretty good odds IMHO.
End of the day I wish I knew "use what works for you and not want works for everyone else".
Did you start out with HE? I started out with an Ijust S and a week later a Smok Alien and a week later had some or other RDTA. Now after 2 years I've settled down and I enjoy certain vape gear that's had no hype whatsoever. I own some more expensive gear as well but not exactly what the sheep are vaping on. This was my experience so far and what I wished I knew back then. Would've saved me quite a penny, who am I kidding? This is vaping. It wouldn't have saved me anything but I would definitely have had more gear that didn't get sold shortly after purchasing.

I disagree. With a lot of HE, the hype is real 70% of the time. That's pretty good odds IMHO.
End of the day I wish I knew "use what works for you and not want works for everyone else".

But we were referring to run of the mill gear that you start of with and upgrade while learning the the game,I doubt any new RSA vaper would even know what Nar/Esg is. This thread is also called i wish i knew when i Started vaping so we all commenting as noobs.

I may not have real HE gear but i you are right from my experience with lower end HE gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I'd stuck to the Nautilus Mini and quit while my bank account was still healthy and that like all other hobbies, I'd take vaping too far :p

I wish that I had known about vaping looooong before I started!!

Trust me, I tried in 2008 on the first Twisps, was crap as hell. Started again in 2015, and have fell off the wagon several times :oops:

I wish that I had known how much I had to learn and how much time I had to devote to become comfortable with everything vape related.

I started vaping just over four years ago. I am really grateful that vaping was just getting off the ground at that time. Mostly pen style with high ohm coils and low wattage. When sub ohm builds started (subtank mini era) it was something amazing. I was really shocked that it was "safe" to vape at .5 ohms. Look at how the boundaries are being pressed today.

Then RDTAs came out and dripping became popular and now squonking has been revived.

I am grateful for the background that the journey provided. Started making RBA coils for the subtank and started DIY juice making about 3.5 years ago. Both coils and juice are different nowadays.

Even although I have devoted crazy amounts of time, over the past four plus years, to vaping"research" I still do not consider myself to be an expert in anything vape related.

There is something new to be learned almost every day. Apart from keeping off the stinkies (35 years of heavy smoking) I find that the ever changing world of vaping is a great attraction.

Did you start out with HE? I started out with an Ijust S and a week later a Smok Alien and a week later had some or other RDTA. Now after 2 years I've settled down and I enjoy certain vape gear that's had no hype whatsoever. I own some more expensive gear as well but not exactly what the sheep are vaping on. This was my experience so far and what I wished I knew back then. Would've saved me quite a penny, who am I kidding? This is vaping. It wouldn't have saved me anything but I would definitely have had more gear that didn't get sold shortly after purchasing.
I started vaping about 7 years ago and even though the initial devices were "rubbish" I moved over to "indestructible" mods because of this forum and stayed there for a long time.
I have owned a whole lot of mods and have had only 2 mods break/die on me. One was my SVD, the fire button became funny and then the hana mods DNA 30 which had a 510 issue after 6 months of use.
From an RTA perspective I had a lemo 1 post screw stripped ( but I used the tank daily for over a year) and the griffin which I had issues when the centre positive connection broke. Also had some clone atties that rusted on me but the price paid for them i didnt even consider this an issue.
Other than that i have enjoyed everything I purchased.

Great feedback - very interesting to see the commentary from everyone

I wish I knew just how easy it would be to stop smoking with vaping. I had major doubts and tried with a Twisp Clearo. 9 days later and I was off stinkies completely. Could not believe how manageable and doable it would be.

Had I known this I probably would have given up the stinkies much sooner. Then again, there wasn't much good gear in those days and it was not easy to find. Today by comparison its like a playground!

Trust me, I tried in 2008 on the first Twisps, was crap as hell. Started again in 2015, and have fell off the wagon several times :oops:

And what's your position now @Viper_SA ? Still hanging on to the wagon or did you let go and slide down the slippery slope?

EDIT
My asking you what's your position reminded me of one day at work when someone asked me what my position is. I replied that I'm usually vertical. I thought my reply was rather funny - and fortunately so did they!

And what's your position now @Viper_SA ? Still hanging on to the wagon or did you let go and slide down the slippery slope?

EDIT
My asking you what's your position reminded me of one day at work when someone asked me what my position is. I replied that I'm usually vertical. I thought my reply was rather funny - and fortunately so did they!

I'm just quitting stinkies again. So at the moment I have between 1 and 10 each day. Much less during the week, more during weekends, but the gaol is to be stinky free before Xmas.

Great feedback - very interesting to see the commentary from everyone

I wish I knew just how easy it would be to stop smoking with vaping. I had major doubts and tried with a Twisp Clearo. 9 days later and I was off stinkies completely. Could not believe how manageable and doable it would be.

Had I known this I probably would have given up the stinkies much sooner. Then again, there wasn't much good gear in those days and it was not easy to find. Today by comparison its like a playground!
Problem is there are too many to choose from.:-D

I wish this thread had been started a long time ago.

Almost every post has a chuckle in it for me as it applies to me and my vaping journey, probably to most of us here too. Its an excellent short list of the mistakes one typically makes in the beginning and should be stapled to the bottom of the terms and conditions page as a compulsory read for new members.

So I have managed to come up with one on the DIY front:
I wish someone had told me earlier how important it is to mix by weight and not by volume or drops. Easy to make a mistake when 300 drops are required and having to clean 10 syringes after a single recipe will turn you back to the juice shop.

Great thread @Silver, a great trip down Vaping memory lane.

I wish I knew that the 12mg juice I bought when I tried my second vaping journey 4 years ago, along with a direct lung atomiser and a 120W device, was just stupid and that I did not need such a high nic level juice or such a strong mod to help me quit smoking. Alas that lesson was learnt only 2 years later when I restarted my vaping journey on something more suitable for a noob.

I also wish I knew that the Twisp pen device I had in 2010 would get better with time and that it would really have helped me quit smoking.

But, third time lucky it seems.

I also wish I knew that the Twisp pen device I had in 2010 would get better with time and that it would really have helped me quit smoking.

Agreed. I bought a Twisp kit in 2009. I dual-used it to cut down on cigs a bit but never managed to quit by using it. In 2016 when I did finally quit, I dug the Twisp kit out of a box in my garage. The batteries would no longer hold a charge so I went to a Twisp kiosk to buy new batteries, only to be told by the staffer that "these aren't Twisp batteries". When I insisted they were, he shrugged and said they must be from a really old kit then.

In hindsight, it was ridiculous of me to expect that a seven year old Twisp model would still be in circulation. But unless you're in vaping, you won't know how much vaping is developing. For the whole of that 2009-2016 period, I based my perception of the advancement of "electronic cigarettes" on that dated and redundant Twisp kit. If I'd known how much better the technology had become, I'd probably have quit earlier.

Although, that said, I think I got in at the ideal time. I entered just when 60W single cell mods were big and dual cell mods were starting to appear in numbers, rebuildables were ousting sub-ohm tanks, and DIY was becoming popular. My first RDTA was the Avo 24, which was streets ahead of its predecessors in terms of building ease and vape quality. My first DIY supplies were nic, VG, PG and TFA concentrates bought from a vaping vendor, I didn't have to scour pharmacies for menthol crystals and VG like the early DIYers did. I was able to buy vape-specific wire and cotton, I didn't have to source wire from wholesale wire dealers or buy organic cotton from pharmacies. So I got in just at the time when vaping established itself as its own legit consumer retail sector with dedicated suppliers.

I remember looking for menthol crystals and not managing to find them. I managed to get my pharmacist in Mossel Bay to order me a litre bottle of PG.

I made my first juice using Moir's Lemon essence. Tasted terrible but I didn't know better. I also bought a lot of fake Liqua juice without realising it was fake. To be honest it tasted a lot better than the Moir's juice.

Ok one and all...... Chuck me with ideas to quit stinkies tell me what worked for you and maybe i can apply some to me.....

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

Back