IJOY Captain Resin Mod

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Captain Resin Mod from IJOY. The IJOY Captain Resin Mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

Captain

Introduction

IJOY are possibly only outdone by Smok when it comes to sheer volume of products constantly being released (at least that's how it seems to me). This causes a tendency to Milk a product bringing out different variants of the same device. The Captain Resin is the latest launch of the very popular Captain, we have previously seen the original PD270, PD18650 and Captain new kit which was the only version that i have previously reviewed. The Resin version is just the original PD270 with so called Resin side panels, round rather than rectangular navigational buttons and a lower max wattage output of 200W, let's give it a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 IJOY CAPTAIN RESIN MOD (without cells)
1 USB Cable
1 Manual
1 Dual 18650 Adaptor
1 Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Captain Resin comes in standard cardboard packaging and the first thing i noticed was just how nice and good quality the Resin sides of the device look. The device is very substantial in size allowing for large tanks to be fitted even though the 510 isn't centre mounted. Despite it's chunky size and boxed appearance the edges have nice ergonomic curves so it's comfortable to hold and i like the position, shape and size of the fire button, some people might find the device too heavy for their liking but others will like that solid substantial feel. I received the Rainbow Splendor version, the Rainbow refers to the colour of the metallic chassis while Splendor is the Resin design, the options are, Black Ghostfire, Rainbow Splendor and Gunmetal Hellfire. The front of the device has a vertical elongated rectangular Black panel central. This panel has "IJOY" printed at the top, underneath we have the 0.96 OLED screen housed, further down are the navigational buttons followed by the micro USB port at the bottom. The back of the device has the same shaped panel as the front in the same central position, this panel has "Captain Resin" printed and is somewhat of a fingerprint magnet. One side of the device is featureless, the other side has a large almost square fire button, the bottom of the Captain is the battery door which has printed branding and safety stamps. Moving to the top we have a spring loaded, Gold plated 510 placed to one side. The device is solid with no rattles and the Resin does look extremely nice (see pics) however it's not real Resin (see mini rant section).

Captain Specs and Features:

Specs:

Size: 48mm x 32mm x 89.2mm
Battery: 2 x 20700 cells / 2 x 18650 cells (not included)
Power range: 5-200W
Display: 0.96-inch OLED
Resistance range: 0.05-3.0ohm
Temperature range: 300-600℉/149-316℃
Output current: 0-40A
Output voltage range: 0-7.5V
Output mode: VW/ VT(Ni/Ti/SS)/TCR/USER mode
Charge style: USB port charging support
Upgraded function: YES
Material: zinc alloy & resin (read review)
Thread: 510
Colour/Designs: Black Ghostfire, Rainbow Splendor, Gunmetal Hellfire

Features:

1. Dual 20700 batteries with 200W max output
2. Resin pattern with attractive colours
3. Multiple intelligent protections for safer vaping
4. 0.96inch OLED screen
5. Unique Custom User Mode
6. POWER, TEMP, TCR modes
7. USB port charging support
8. Comes with the upgradeable firmware
9. No overhang with 30mm tanks

Fitting the Batteries

The batteries are fitted by the common bottom hatch door which you pull outwards and then up, i have no issues with the door it seems sturdy and durable and fastens very securely. I used 20700 batteries but the Captain will also accommodate 2 18650's using the supplied adaptor. Battery orientation is labelled very poorly with no markings within the battery compartment and Black on Black tiny markings on the door itself.

Using the Captain

The Captain is the usual 5 clicks on and 5 clicks off and the only key press combination that i'm aware of is pressing the left and right buttons together locks the resistance. At the top of the screen we have the wattage that can be adjusted in the usual manner and to the right of this we have the 2 battery status bars. Underneath the wattage we have the resistance and the amps, then further down there is a large display of the volts. Lastly on the left side of the screen is the puff counter, moving to the right of the screen we have the mode you are in, preheat setting and seconds vaped. The Captain is yet another user friendly device with a menu system that is easy to navigate, to enter the menu system is 3 clicks of the fire button, just use the left/right buttons to move between icons and fire to select. After 3 clicks you get a choice of options which are power, temp, TCR, Set and reset puff, reset puff allows you to do exactly that and set allows you to set screen timeout, you have the choice of 10s, 30s, 60s or 90s. Selecting power allows you to choose between norm, hard, soft and user, user is of course your custom curve and rather than a 10 seconds curve here we have a 6 seconds curve which is about right in my opinion as i personally would have a 5 seconds pull maximum when vaping so all good there. Selecting Temp brings up the 3 wire types, Ni, Ti and SS plus 2 memory slots, when selecting a wire type it takes you back to the main screen where wattage can be set as normal. Now where it did display volts it has changed to temperature, pressing the left button moves from wattage to the temp so you can set it. The final option in the menu is TCR which allows you to input your TCR settings. The device is very easy to use and although i don't use temp control the way the wattage and temp can be simply set on the main screen when in temp control is a big plus for temp control users.

Mini Rant

I do have the original PD270 which i bought and the New Kit version which i reviewed a while ago and now with this new release i was looking for some real updates yet it's pretty much yet again the same device although this time around we do see a couple of differences but nowhere near enough in my opinion to warrant yet another re-release. The device to the best of my knowledge houses the same exact original chip that we saw with the original Captain just with the latest firmware upgrade. Whether the firmware upgrade has any improvements as far as TC is concerned i wouldn't know but the only change i have found is top wattage has been reduced to 200W which personally i welcome as with dual 20700 this will be achievable. The only other difference's is we now have round navigational buttons and of cause Resin side panels. The Resin panels look very high quality but are in fact good quality thick stickers which doesn't take anything away from the aesthetically pleasing look of the device but i do take issue with. Calling the device the Captain Resin implies this is a genuine Resin material and Resin is also listed in the materials so i find this very dishonest and well out of order!

My Experience Using the Captain Resin

As usual the first thing to mention is i don't vape using temp control or have the equipment to get data so i simply review a device based on how i experienced it. As for a top wattage of 200W as already mentioned i have no way of knowing but i would imagine 200W with dual 20700 batteries will be achievable so pleased with this change that has been made from the other versions of the Captain. The Captain has no noticeable delay and despite not protruding the fire button is so easy to find. The fire button has very little travel but still is nice and clicky, i like it a lot and the Captain's fire button is still one of the best in my opinion despite the original being released a couple of years ago. The Captain feels very substantial in the hand but with it's curved edges and fire button position is very ergonomic although some people might find it heavier than they would like. I used the Captain with a couple of different RTA's and sub-ohm tanks at different wattage's and found it to be accurate and reliable, i also tried the curves feature which worked well. As mentioned i do have two previous versions of the Captain and has their are barely any updates to the device i know it well and it's always been a device i have liked. Despite the Resin not being real i found this version particularly aesthetically appealing but really was hoping it would also accommodate 21700 batteries and have other updates such as a centred 510 and maybe even a colour display. The captain will accommodate up to 30mm atty's without any overhang whatsoever and supports both on-board charging and firmware upgrades.

Very good build quality
No rattles
Ergonomic curves
High quality thick Resin stickers that are very aesthetically pleasing (but a con not genuine Resin)
Very easy to navigate
Will accommodate both dual 20700 and 18650 batteries
Curves
Temp control (not tested)
Large clear display
Fires instantly
Accurate and reliable
Achievable top wattage
Very nice large fire button
30mm tanks without overhang
Good battery life
Solid battery door
Supports on-board charging (if it's your only option)
Firmware Upgradeable

Cons

Very poorly marked battery orientation
Latest version should in my opinion also accommodate 21700 batteries
Not real Resin (dishonest marketing)
510 would look better centred (in my opinion)
Not enough different from previous versions to warrant a re-release

I would once again like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the IJOY Captain Resin Mod for the purpose of this review.

Captain

Back