Werner Beukes

Veteran Vaper
LV

Awards
I have to mention that I'm stund to see how many people look at you funny when they see you vape, and also how many smokers think you're nuts when they you blowing big clouds.
Went to a vape shop this week, and even a client who's vaping a regular e cig tried to get down my throat for seeing me blowing big clouds on my sigelei 150.

I've been doing research on e liguids and devices like a crazy person, and really do understand how safe what is. And also how bad some things are.

I truly believe it's time for us vapers to start educating non-vapers out there, and even the conservative vapers what we're inhaling and how safe it truly is.

Maybe this subject has been raised before, but this becomes very important for us vapers. Especially when you go to a woodworths resturant and they say it's not permitted. I told them ok, I'll stop vaping but please then switch of your kettles and stoves. Lol... And yes, I did say it...

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, and your experiences.

Blessings to all you guys!!!
W

This has come up quite a bit, and people really are uninformed, especially in smaller towns. Maybe I should speak to a mate of mine who does documentaries and short films. Perhaps hook him up with some of the gurus on here to do a docci or short film on gaping in SA. Will drop him a message tonight from work and get the ball rolling. Anyone he could contact if he's interested? @Gizmo, @Paulie, @Andre, @Silver, @Alex ?

This has come up quite a bit, and people really are uninformed, especially in smaller towns. Maybe I should speak to a mate of mine who does documentaries and short films. Perhaps hook him up with some of the gurus on here to do a docci or short film on gaping in SA. Will drop him a message tonight from work and get the ball rolling. Anyone he could contact if he's interested? @Gizmo, @Paulie, @Andre, @Silver, @Alex ?

Great idea! You see, my big fear is there are those out there trying there best to stop,this whole vaping thing. I truly believe we must seriously fight for our right to vape. It's not like we're going around blowing vapor in everybody's faces you know.

Thanks for your insight!

Hi @Werner Beukes

You are right in saying that many people are uninformed and look at us vapers in a strange way when we blow big clouds. That's why I seldom make a big scene or blow big clouds in public places like shopping centres or restaurants. I usually take my milder gear out with me to such places.

As for the health side of things, none of us know for sure how safe vaping is over the long-term (say 30 years plus) but the credible research coming out recently is suggesting that vaping is considerably safer than smoking. Check out the health matters section on this forum for many articles and posts about the good research being done. Also @Alex has posted many other news articles from around the world which relate to such research in the News and Media section. You can also Google Dr Farsalinos, who is an amazing cardiologist that is doing fantastic research on the medical side of vaping. We reached out to him a while back and he wrote us a message here. We are following his research quite closely.

Regarding going to a restaurant and encountering a negative view on vaping, I do believe (and this is my personal opinion) that we as vapers should always try be as courteous and understanding as possible. If people sitting next to me (non-smokers, non-vapers) complain to the manager that I am blowing big clouds and the manager asks me to stop, I will stop immediately. I won't try explain (in that situation) that vaping is safe. I think we need to have consideration for others and even if second hand vapour is pretty harmless, we should try be diplomatic and good ambassadors. If a restaurant or any place for that matter does not allow vaping, we should respect that.

I am all for trying to explain afterward to the manager or the uninformed that vaping is not a bad thing and that research suggests that it is far less harmful than smoking - but I think we should be careful that we as vapers do not come across as being too obnoxious or arrogant about our vaping.

Hi @Viper_SA - thanks for the idea and the suggestion
Something similar was discussed quite a while back - but if I recall correctly, it didn't take place because the funding to make a good documentary was quite high and at the time it seemed a lot to invest for the benefit to be had. Nevertheless, I would be interested to hear what your friend says.

Sad to inform you but there are countless "documentaries" and short clips on gaping online. :DEVILMAN:

I think it's an intelligent system that uses your regular expressions. I'd hate to see your browser history @Viper_SA.

In my experience there is nothing 'intelligent' about technology really. :p

Perhaps you need a medic alert bracelet that says "if dead please delete my browser history" :rofl:

Hi @Viper_SA - thanks for the idea and the suggestion
Something similar was discussed quite a while back - but if I recall correctly, it didn't take place because the funding to make a good documentary was quite high and at the time it seemed a lot to invest for the benefit to be had. Nevertheless, I would be interested to hear what your friend says.
I can remember .. i would also like to see that the South African public gets a kick in the right direction. Maybe just use social media to spread it

Now I have to Google 'gaping' to see what it actually is, thanks a lot @Christos

I told them ok, I'll stop vaping but please then switch of your kettles and stoves. Lol... And yes, I did say it...

Why did you say this bud? Sorry I just don't understand how it's related?

Bring the camera ill show them the weather service is predictable and it will rain today lol! But on a serious note i do wish we could maby get more involved with this! Maby its time we try and get a politician on here and ask them to take a break have a kit kat and enjoy learning about vaping :p. Also they can take a break from etolls and expensive housing explanations.

i agree we need to inform people but alienating non understand smokers is not the way to go either i feel blowing big clouds in public is not the way to go i sort of see it in the same light as a smoker blowing his smoke in another smokers face even though they both smoke its not a cool thing to do i love the idea of a documentary a good quality clip to share on facebook and other social sites is cool but i think it must have a South African theme to it that others could relate to

I'll bear what he has to say. I also don't do big clouds in public, never vape in a non-smoking section, but mostly because I know it will only create drama because most people still see Vaping as smoking, and the term e-cigarette has not done any of us any good it that regard. At least I hear there is a Twisp Kiosk opening in Vaal Mall as well as a 'gadget shop' that stocks some stuff.

Why did you say this bud? Sorry I just don't understand how it's related?

Lol, yeah I said it because the manager claimed vaping can cause water on the lungs of other people around me, so I simply stated a point that his kettel can do the very same thing. I obviously know what's true and what's not, but the arguments out there are sometimes simply ridicules...

Lol, yeah I said it because the manager claimed vaping can cause water on the lungs of other people around me, so I simply stated a point that his kettel can do the very same thing. I obviously know what's true and what's not, but the arguments out there are sometimes simply ridicules...
I agree with that

I get these comments daily from people at work.

"Do you know how bad it is for you!"
"Why dont you just quit?"
"Oh I read an article it really safe." (same ****** who told me its soo bad for you the day before)
"You'll get water on your lungs, at least smoking doesnt do that"
"where does the fires come from ? " ( that the funniest)

I'm over educating people, If you want to swap over i'll help you find gear, explain shit, so on but otherwise leave me to my vape.

I get these comments daily from people at work.

"Do you know how bad it is for you!"
"Why dont you just quit?"
"Oh I read an article it really safe." (same ****** who told me its soo bad for you the day before)
"You'll get water on your lungs, at least smoking doesnt do that"
"where does the fires come from ? " ( that the funniest)

I'm over educating people, If you want to swap over i'll help you find gear, explain shit, so on but otherwise leave me to my vape.

So with you... I have given up trying to convince skeptics... I just say "Fine... you stink and you gonna die" and I leave it at that.

Just this weekend, at a scuba diving event, I sat in a little lounge area vaping and about 5 people took turns in either asking or stating about things they've heard or firmly believe...

"That stuff gives you water in your lungs which will kill you" to which I answered "then everyone should stop showering immediately"

"It's unnatural to inhale something other than air" to which I answered "Whenever you go outside, you're inhaling stuff other than air. Close to a road? Hello carbon monoxide. Close to petroleum plant? Sure, that's just pure O2 billowing from those flaming towers."

"You'll get oil on your lungs which can't be absorbed" to which I answered "There is no oil present in e-liquids (at least the one's I know of)"

"You don't know what goes into that juice" to which I answered "Since I buy local DIY juices, I know more about what goes into that juice than I do about what goes into stuff I eat. Every. Day."

"Glycerine might be a food grade product at room temperature, but when you heat it up you have no idea what it becomes" to which I answered "It's a food grade product. Food grade. In fact, might even be medical grade. Do you never heat up your food?"

"Propylene Glycol releases Formaldehyde at vaping temperatures, which will kill you faster than cigarettes" to which I answered "Formaldehyde has only been found at above-normal temps and voltages at which point the vapor would taste like crap and vaping would cease. No normal person will just carry on vaping in that situation."

Back