Innokin Proton Express 235W Box Mod

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Proton Express 235W Box Mod from Innokin. The Innokin Proton Express 235W Box Mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

https://www.sourcemore.com/innokin-proto...inbow.html

Introduction

Innokin need no introduction as they have been a very well regarded manufacturer for a very long time. Innokin probably get more mentions than any other manufacturer when someone new to vaping are looking for their first device with the Kroma-A with Zenith tank probably being the latest product to get this nod. The Proton is Innokin's latest high powered device boasting 235 top wattage and has all the usual features like TC suite and curves. With a fire bar and joystick navigator the Proton looks the business but is it? I give my thoughts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Box

Contents:

1x Innokin Proton Express TC MOD
1x USB Cable
1x QR Card
1x Warranty Card
1x Battery safety card
1x User Manual

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Proton came in the usual Innokin style cardboard packaging and once opened i was met by a very aesthetically pleasing device. I received the Rainbow version, it's also available in Gun Metal, Black, White, Blue and Red, apart from the White and Red versions were the bodies are White and Red on all other versions the colour of choice refers to the trim as the main body is Black. The front of the device houses the screen, central towards the bottom is a mini joystick with concave face, below this is the micro USB port followed by Rainbow trim. The back of the device has a textured section with rainbow trim top and bottom. Both sides have identical looking bars with Rainbow trim one is fixed the other if the fire bar which can be identified by the Proton logo towards the top. The base of the device which is the battery hatch door has safety stamps and venting, moving to the top and to one side is the 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The build quality is top notch and holding and firing with a squeezing action feels very natural.

Proton Specs and Features:

Height: 85mm
Length: 44.6mm
Width: 29.6mm
Max Wattage: 235W
Battery Type: 2 x 18650 battery (not included)
Output Wattage: 6-235W
Output Voltage: 6.2V-9.0V
Atomizer Resistance Range: 0.05ohm - 3.5ohm
Maximum Output Current: 40A
2A charging
Display: 1.45 Inch Colour Screen (TFT)
Temperature Range: 300℉-600℉/150℃-315℃
Mode: VV/VW/TC(SS316, Ni200, Ti)/Preheat Function
Brand New 235W Chipset
Unique Joystick-style Selector
Side-Panel Squeeze Fire Button
1.45inch TFT Colour Display with 6 Colours
Thread: Spring-loaded 510 thread
Colours: Gun Metal, Rainbow, Black, White, Blue, Red

Fitting The Batteries

The Proton takes 2 18650 batteries which get fitted via the hatch door on the base of the device. The door just needs sliding out slightly then it lifts up and once opened although a bit of play the door is sturdier than most of this style. The battery orientation is very vibrantly labelled inside the device but on the battery door is Black on Black. Once the batteries are fitted the door secures in place very securely and there is no movement or battery rattle whatsoever.

The Display

The Proton has a 1.45" TFT colour screen and the display is bright and sharp, Innokin have done a really good job with the layout. Top left we have "INNOKIN" then to the right of this we have the 2 battery indication bars. The central section of the display has a circular design and positioned in the centre of this is the wattage (temperature when in temp control), underneath this is the seconds vaped. Bottom left of the screen we have volts, bottom right is the resistance then between the two we have the mode, finally if in temp control wattage appears above the mode. Throughout the menu system options appear as a list within a grid and the display can be changed to one of 6 different colours.

Using The Proton

Turning the Proton on and off is 3 clicks of the fire button but once on the Joystick movement is locked so you can't alter the wattage (temperature if in temp control). To unlock the joystick navigation you need to push the joystick in either the up, down, left or right direction and keep in position for a couple of seconds which unlocks it and now your wattage or temperature can be altered. If you are in temp control the wattage is displayed above the mode and with the joystick unlocked pointing it downwards takes you to wattage which now flashes and can be altered right up to 235w even for temp control.
In the menu navigation is done using the joystick and pressing the joystick selects, at any time pressing the fire bar takes you back to the main screen. The layout of the menu is done very well and when selecting certain things like TCR it actually brings up what TCR stands for and bypass again explains exactly what bypass is before having to take an extra step to select it, it's very informative with importance to safety at the fore while not impacting the functionality of the menu system.
To enter the menu system is 3 clicks of the joystick which brings up a list of options which are Coil, TCR, Curve, Bypass and settings. Selecting Coil brings up the resistance of the coil followed by a list of options which are Same, Wattage, SS316L, Titanium and Ni200, also when you first first attach an atty the device goes to this screen. Selecting Same uses the last mode you were using or you can choose to use the device in wattage or one of the temp control wires. TCR brings up were you can manually enter your TCR value, Curve brings up your custom curve graph which allows you to save 4 different custom curves, you can set the wattage at .5 seconds intervals for 6 seconds so 12 values can be inputted to produce your curve. Bypass is for using the device in bypass mode and finally settings brings up another list of options.
The options in settings are Vape cutoff, Screen, TC unit, Colour, Puff counter and Firmware. Vape cutoff enables you to set how long you can continuously vape for to between 3 and 18 seconds. Screen brings up other options, timeout (set screen timeout between 3 to 180 seconds), Dim time (set how many seconds before the screen dims between 3 to 180 seconds), Brightness (adjust screen brightness) and finally Back. TC Unit allows you to choose which temperature unit you want to be displayed when using temp control, colour allows you to choose what colour you want information and accents to be on the screen (you can choose between Blue, Pink, Red, White, Purple or Green). Puff counter is where you can see how many puffs you have taken, this screen also allows you to reset the counter, finally Firmware displays the firmware version and is also the screen you use when updating the firmware version.
There is a lot of features on the Proton but having the joystick makes it very easy to navigate around and select things, i'm very impressed.

Performance

I have used the Proton for a while now, those that read my reviews would have seen it pictured in a couple of atty reviews i have done and it's a device i will continue using in the future. It fires instantly and feels so comfortable in the hand, all wattage's i used the Proton at seemed very accurate and being a custom curves user in my opinion this feature works great on the Proton. I don't vape using temp control but enjoyed using the device that much i wanted to know if there was any data on performance so had a good look online. The Proton from what i found performs well in temp control and also the data confirmed it's accuracy and that it's not overpowered, the only negative is the travel with the 510 connector is below average so some atty's may gap. The device will comfortably accommodate a 28mm atty without overhang and even a 30mm will have only the slightest overhang that wouldn't bother the majority of people, the Proton supports 2A charging and is fully firmware upgradeable.

Final thoughts

I found the Proton to be an awesome device which comfortably sits in the best 3 devices i have reviewed this year along with the Luxe and the Naboo, which order not 100% sure but the Proton could well take that top spot after a bit more use.

Very well built
Performed Great
Aesthetically pleasing
Good colour options
Easy to use menu system
Excellent display including through menu screens
Joystick
Fire bar
Fires instantly
Joystick automatically locks
Packed with features
Temp Control
Custom curves
2A charging
Firmware Upgradeable

Cons

Black on Black battery orientation on the hatch
Some people might prefer if it had centre 510
Some atty's with long threads or very protruding might gap

I would once again like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the Innokin Proton Express 235W Box Mod for the purpose of this review.

https://www.sourcemore.com/innokin-proto...inbow.html

Back