Intro to Vaping + The Subox Mini

did a bit messing around today made a twisted 24 guage kanthal comes in at .3 ohms a lot nicer for me than a normal coil looks untidy but i dont think its bad for my 1st go this build is in the Sapor dripper with replaced screws as my screws were all stripped and this works great

Attachments

• coil 1.jpg
    coil 1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 49
  • coil 2.jpg
    coil 2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 49
  • coil 3.jpg
    coil 3.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 50
Awesome! Thank you sir, just the thread I have been looking for!

Wow. This is so awesome.
Every time I heard a certain term I would go google it and most of the time it very technical.
This was very informative and easy to understand for us noobs.

Just killed time while at work. Great write up and by God, thanx for taking the time to do it.
What I like about the subox mini is in the RBA you can do a dual coil to.

Late response to this but I am new. Started vaping with evod starter kit a while ago as a non smoker( well i would have a cigarette on occasion) and two weeks into vaping i want more!! Take it that this device is a big step up from the evod device cloud wise ☺ ? Is it too quick to make the jump considering the price tag?

Late response to this but I am new. Started vaping with evod starter kit a while ago as a non smoker( well i would have a cigarette on occasion) and two weeks into vaping i want more!! Take it that this device is a big step up from the evod device cloud wise ☺ ? Is it too quick to make the jump considering the price tag?

Hi @Schnappie
Welcome to the forum - feel free to introduce yourself at the following thread:
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/introduce-yourselves.t24/

Regarding the Subox Mini, no, its not too quick to make the jump. If you feel you need a more intense vape, then go right ahead.

The Subox kit is a great device and enjoyed by many vapers on this forum. Some people have been using it for quite some time. The nice thing about the tank is that it allows you to use commercial coils that you buy as well as build your own coils. It will produce a way more intense vape than the Evod starter kit.

All the best and let us know how it goes

Mu
Hi @Schnappie
Welcome to the forum - feel free to introduce yourself at the following thread:
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/introduce-yourselves.t24/

Regarding the Subox Mini, no, its not too quick to make the jump. If you feel you need a more intense vape, then go right ahead.

The Subox kit is a great device and enjoyed by many vapers on this forum. Some people have been using it for quite some time. The nice thing about the tank is that it allows you to use commercial coils that you buy as well as build your own coils. It will produce a way more intense vape than the Evod starter kit.

All the best and let us know how it goes

Thanks a million for the quick response. Cant wait to try it out then ☺ i will go to that thread thanx

So I was looking for the right thread to post this in, and this one seemed to be the closest! I tried my hand with RBA deck this weekend. I used pre-rolled coils (from Eciggies) so I'm not sure what type of wire was used. So after watching the riptripper video I went for it.

In my first attempt, I attached the coil, my Subox read it at 0.5 ohms, so all was looking good! I dry fired it, and then I then put in the cotton (it felt like I had to force it more than they did in the video, so maybe this is why the problem came up), wet it, and all was still looking good. I attached the cap and carried on. As soon as I started vaping, my resistance reading shot up to 0.7, then 1.3, then 3. Being terrified of these batteries I quickly turned the device off and disassembled it, and went back to my factory made coil!

My second attempt, I used less cotton, and it felt like the process went a lot smoother. Still a 0.5ohm coil, and the same steps were followed. No climbing resistance while I used it, so whatever I did wrong the first time seems to have been corrected. I took a nice long pull, and my drip tip (the standard one that comes with the kit) heated up BIG time, to the point where it hurt my lips a little.

So my questions are as follows:

1. This whole process was terrifying, how close was I to blowing my hand off?
2. Any ideas as to why the resistance climbed the way it did on my first attempt?
3. What would cause the insane heat on my second attempt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! My wife just sits there glaring at me waiting for me to either quit or burn the house down.

Hi @Stosta

Kudos for trying.

Don't know all the answers - but just check if the wires were trapped tightly enough under the post screws. Sometimes, you need to recheck the tightness after a test fire because the wires wiggle out a bit.
@Yiannaki advised me before to wrap the wire around the entire post, not just halfway, especially with thinner wire

Not sure if that is the problem, but it could explain the changing resistance...
Strange that it then was stable afterward.

Also could be because it wasnt screwed onto the mod properly and wasnt making proper contact

So I was looking for the right thread to post this in, and this one seemed to be the closest! I tried my hand with RBA deck this weekend. I used pre-rolled coils (from Eciggies) so I'm not sure what type of wire was used. So after watching the riptripper video I went for it.

In my first attempt, I attached the coil, my Subox read it at 0.5 ohms, so all was looking good! I dry fired it, and then I then put in the cotton (it felt like I had to force it more than they did in the video, so maybe this is why the problem came up), wet it, and all was still looking good. I attached the cap and carried on. As soon as I started vaping, my resistance reading shot up to 0.7, then 1.3, then 3. Being terrified of these batteries I quickly turned the device off and disassembled it, and went back to my factory made coil!

My second attempt, I used less cotton, and it felt like the process went a lot smoother. Still a 0.5ohm coil, and the same steps were followed. No climbing resistance while I used it, so whatever I did wrong the first time seems to have been corrected. I took a nice long pull, and my drip tip (the standard one that comes with the kit) heated up BIG time, to the point where it hurt my lips a little.

So my questions are as follows:

1. This whole process was terrifying, how close was I to blowing my hand off?
2. Any ideas as to why the resistance climbed the way it did on my first attempt?
3. What would cause the insane heat on my second attempt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! My wife just sits there glaring at me waiting for me to either quit or burn the house down.
What resistance factory made coils did you use? If above 1.0 ohms, the 0.5 ohm will give a much hotter vape - not to everyone's liking. In theory the mod should protect you from blowing your hand off, but caution is always good.

What resistance factory made coils did you use? If above 1.0 ohms, the 0.5 ohm will give a much hotter vape - not to everyone's liking. In theory the mod should protect you from blowing your hand off, but caution is always good.
The factory made ones were also the 0.5 ohm. Glad to know that the mod should keep me safe, that should help a lot with my experimenting!

Absolutely great thread! Very well written and very informative!

I got my Subox Mini kit from VapeCartel 5 months ago and I absolutely love this little device! It's the best starter kit that I have laid eyes on. From the start it just worked. Needless to say with my clumsiness, it's taken a couple of nasty knocks, the last one broke my driptip, but the device just keeps going. A friend of mine bought me a sleeve for it and now all the bumps and scratches are hidden away and it looks pimping! I would recommend this device to anyone :inlove:

I got my Subox Mini kit from VapeCartel 5 months ago and I absolutely love this little device! It's the best starter kit that I have laid eyes on. From the start it just worked. Needless to say with my clumsiness, it's taken a couple of nasty knocks, the last one broke my driptip, but the device just keeps going. A friend of mine bought me a sleeve for it and now all the bumps and scratches are hidden away and it looks pimping! I would recommend this device to anyone :inlove:
Ah, welcome @Metal Liz, long time no see. Hope things are going swell on your side.

Fully agree

This thread helped me build and wick the rba perfectly on my first go and i wont be buying any occ coils again!

I'll always have a soft spot for my subox . Was my first proper device(coming from a twisp) & despite being a total noob it was so easy to work with & build on. It's like the Toyota Tazz of the vaping world

After I got the RX200 I've had so many offers from mates at work who want to buy the subox but there is no way I'm parting with it

Is this still the "gold" standard or are there other starter sub-ohm kits to consider ?

You can also try the Evic VTC, but I went with the subox and I haven't looked back since, it really is an amazing little thing!

Is this still the "gold" standard or are there other starter sub-ohm kits to consider ?
Still a very good starting point, but I think there is a general consensus that the Joyetech Evic VTC Mini is probably a better option as the mod. The Evic Mini can give you 75W of power, is upgradeable and enables you to do temperature control (TC) vaping should you so wish. Solidly built, great screen, easy menu, affordable. If you require more battery life and/or more power, the dual battery Joyetech Cuboid gives you all the Evic Mini does in a little bigger and heavier form factor.
The atomizers Joyetech pair with these mods are, however, not as popular - Ego One and Tron. Many still go for the Subtank Mini atomizer, but on top of a Evic Mini or Cuboid. All of the atomizers mentioned, have a rebuildable option. The Cubis atomizer (also from Joyetech) is very new - I love it, but it does not yet have a rebuildable option, only commercial coil units.

Yes, that eVic looks very good.....decisions, decisions

Is the eVic supplied with a mod ?

Last edited:
Yes, that eVic looks very good.....decisions, decisions

Is the eVic supplied with a mod ?
The Evic is a mod, you probably meant atomizer? In full kit form, yes, but you also get it in "express" form, which is the mod only.

Best pricing I have come across for the the Evic Mini (mod) plus the Subtank Mini (atomizer) plus a battery and a charger: http://www.thepuffstation.co.za/collections/the-stash

The atty is different.
The tron only works with stock coils and the subtank can use standard and buildable coils

I think the Ego One CLR (rebuildable) coils work in this tank. As do the Ti and Ni temp control coils and their rebuildable versions.

thanks Andre. What would be the difference from this unit, to what you are suggesting from puff station:

http://www.vapeclub.co.za/collectio...products/evic-vtc-mini-kit-incl-tron-atomiser
The Tron atomizer is different from the Subtank mini atomizer. HRH uses the TRON with the CLR rebuildable coil head and is very satisfied with the vape quality, but this is probably a mouth to lung atomizer only. On the Subtank Mini one can do both mouth to lung and direct to lung hits.

Back