Introduction & information about my research (survey)

dan_todd

New Vaper
LV

Awards
[spoken to Rob Fisher and was given permission to post]

Hi everyone,

My name is Daniel, and I'm currently undertaking psychology honours with Central Queensland University (CQU) in Australia (I completed a Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences with an accredited major in psychology at Monash University in 2012). My supervisor Matt has a PhD in psychology, and the project has received ethics approval from CQU. This research is unfunded and has no commercial affiliations whatsoever. Admittedly, I don't vape myself, but became extremely interested in vaping from reading and hearing about people vaping in an effort to stop smoking, and thinking about family and friends that have struggled to quit in the past. I want to understand the patterns of vaping, including the degree to which vaping can effectively substitute for a cigarette-based nicotine habit, the number of vapers trying to wean themselves off nicotine versus those happy with a safer medium to maintain a nicotine habit, and the survey asks questions about this. As part of this, I have been working on developing a questionnaire that could eventually allow users (and researchers) to assess vapers’ nicotine dependence. The questionnaire includes what is essentially a modified Fagerstrom Test for Nictotine Dependence (which many of you will no doubt have heard of), but with questions more relevant to vaping. Not surprisingly (because I haven't posted on here :)), I haven't yet had any SA participants, and would really love to see some.

I'm hoping that the work may be published in an academic journal and it will be included in my thesis write-up. All data collected will be totally anonymous. I have read and seen that you have been asked to participate in a bit of research recently. I know that many of you will be thinking "another survey!", but if I can firstly say that it is designed to be quite brief (hopefully 5-10 mins to complete, depending on your smoking history) and not answer all of the questions in one survey, and has had an actual vaper's input. Secondly, if you have questions or feedback, I am here to take them (as is my supervisor). I have seen that some other studies around have dropped a link, and are then never seen again. I have been on some of the forums for a number of months, and will actually respond! Finally, you will be welcome to see the summary of results in around October when I complete my work (a link is provided at the completion of the questionnaire, or ask me for it anytime - even if you haven't participated), and it will be posted on here.

The survey and a detailed information page are available at https://cqu.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/dantodd/vaping/

Apologies for the long into, but I wanted to cover off some of the most important points. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

Thanks for your time.
Daniel
--In the interests of full disclosure, I will post this intro on a few of the forums. Apologies to anyone who has now read it more than once!

Survey done and dusted

Survey done

Good luck for your research @dan_todd

Good survey. Just found it difficult to answer question #34 - do I vape when I am ill in bed? Lol, can't answer it because since I started vaping I haven't been sick ....

PS- Dan, get yourself a cool looking avatar pic and upload it (click yr name in top right, then avatar)

Survey done

Good luck for your research @dan_todd

Good survey. Just found it difficult to answer question #34 - do I vape when I am ill in bed? Lol, can't answer it because since I started vaping I haven't been sick ....

PS- Dan, get yourself a cool looking avatar pic and upload it (click yr name in top right, then avatar)

Thanks very much @Silver! Appreciate the feedback too, it's good to know that not all of the questions from the Fagerstrom are as relevant to vapers. And relevant avatar added ;). Thanks again, Dan

Thanks very much @Silver! Appreciate the feedback too, it's good to know that not all of the questions from the Fagerstrom are as relevant to vapers. And relevant avatar added ;). Thanks again, Dan

Nice avatar @dan_todd !

Thanks for including us in your survey @dan_todd. Just completed it now.

Done

Just a couple of things to note :

While I do use nicotine in my juices, I am just as at home using 0mg. I like the sensation it adds to some juices.
There was some sort of question pertaining to dependency on my E-cig... While I enjoy vaping, I have on a couple of times forgotten the device at home. During these times I never felt that I needed to go back to get my device - in fact, when I got home I only picked it up a couple of hours later. Where with cigarettes I always had to go and buy a packet ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Back