#ITSOKAYTOTALK - Mental Illness

Okay, doctor time. Are there any highly recommended psychiatrists in the Jhb area? Only two in the Vaal that I know of. One drugs you up to the point of being a zombie, and mine doesn't seem to listen to me when I explain my issues. Keeps telling me I'm grasping at straws with the attitude 'I'm the doctor, you know nothing'. During the work week I'm fine, weekends I struggle heavily with anxiety and ocd-like behaviour, where every little thing in the house and garden must be perfect, and when it's not, I go into a panic state and imagine redoing everthing and spending millions. It's at a point where I simply don't have the energy or motivation to do anything, so shit keeps piling up making the situation worse and worse.

Okay, doctor time. Are there any highly recommended psychiatrists in the Jhb area? Only two in the Vaal that I know of. One drugs you up to the point of being a zombie, and mine doesn't seem to listen to me when I explain my issues. Keeps telling me I'm grasping at straws with the attitude 'I'm the doctor, you know nothing'. During the work week I'm fine, weekends I struggle heavily with anxiety and ocd-like behaviour, where every little thing in the house and garden must be perfect, and when it's not, I go into a panic state and imagine redoing everthing and spending millions. It's at a point where I simply don't have the energy or motivation to do anything, so shit keeps piling up making the situation worse and worse.
Sorry to hear you're battling Viper, and sadly I don't know any psychiatrists in JHB. But looking for a new one is definitely the right move if you feel like it's not helping. There are many schools of thought regarding the way a doctor should interact with a patient, so either your current doctor has an incompatible stance for you, or they're just crap. Hope you can find someone decent soon, and try take your tasks one at a time

Hi all

Catching up on this thread, I hope everyone is doing well, getting through their days and looking forward to the next. I am in a bit of a tough spot at the moment but getting through the tough days and learning to be better on the good ones. I count myself lucky in many ways when reading the stories of others, I have used medication before to try help but have never relied on them, my body and mind just don't do well on them at all so I avoid them as much as possible. I wish I could give advice to @Viper_SA and @craigb but I simply don't know much about medication for mental illness at all. I wish you guys the best of luck in getting to a manageable place where you can find some sembleance of peace and happiness...

@Viper_SA Do you want to be added to the #ITSOKTOTALK WhatsApp group that I started? I can give you the name of my psychologist if you would like? Or the name of an ex girlfriend of mines uncle, who is a psychiatrist?

Dr.Ingrid Williamson
Suite 202 North Block 2nd Floor Mediclinic Sandto,
Cnr Peter Place & Main Road,
Bryanston, 2191
+27 11 706 6578

@Feliks Karp

Any idea what she charges for a consultation?

Hey bud, if I recall it was R1000 the first time and in the R800 range per visit, luckily med-aid paid for it, but she is worth every penny, the best thing would be to phone her office and ask, I went to two quacks before, one was a raging ego-tistical ***** who just threw more and more pills at me, and the other one unfortunately got pancreatic cancer and his heart just wasn't in it. Ingrid is an amazing listener and does not like helping by simply increasing dosages, works with you to solve the issue.

Hey bud, if I recall it was R1000 the first time and in the R800 range per visit, luckily med-aid paid for it, but she is worth every penny, the best thing would be to phone her office and ask, I went to two quacks before, one was a raging ego-tistical ***** who just threw more and more pills at me, and the other one unfortunately got pancreatic cancer and his heart just wasn't in it. Ingrid is an amazing listener and does not like helping by simply increasing dosages, works with you to solve the issue.

My medical aid pays for psychiatrists from savings, so better off just doing it cash. Will make an outing of it and take a day off, hit Sandton City after, maybe get my beard styled while I'm in Sandton by a professional :D

@Feliks Karp
Took me from 08:00 to 13:15 to finally get them on the phone, but got an appointment for 22 Dec. R2460 first consultation. Ouch, but if it's worth it, great stuff.

Wow dude, jeez my memory might be shit but that's a vastly different amount than I remember, may be because I was referred by my GP etc. She's totally worth it though.

I have always struggled with my self confidence and self worth, particularly the last 18 months or so despite family, friends, colleagues and sometimes strangers telling me otherwise. Today, I was reminded once again, by this forum actually that I matter to many people and have had a positive impact in their lives despite what goes on in my head to try make me believe otherwise. I know it will still be a battle but it felt great to be acknowledged for helping a friend in need, however and wherever I could...

I have a mood disorder, which is under control with meds. I have no qualms about publicly stating this as I am a proponent of de stigmatizing mental illness.

However there is something else I have learned about myself from vaping. This questions my sanity and self control.

I have OCD when it comes to acquiring things I enjoy. Sometimes I wonder if I am not completely mental in the sense that I have a severe case of "Vape acquisition disorder."

For example, I am NEVER satisfied with the amount of vaping gear I own. I obsess over the Sir Vape website, reading it a few times, every single day, just to see what is new and plotting my next purchase. I have read every word on every item on the website.

I continually crave buying a new RDA, RTA or Mod. If I buy one I like, I am compelled to buy another to double the pleasure. I get a fear that I need another before they are sold out and I may never get another opportunity to get another.

The guilt I feel for buying so much gear slays me. I could be buying things for my family but I selfishly buy vaping gear. The truth is, I have never enjoyed a hobby as much as this one, and I have done many- many hobbies in my life.

If I have a crap day, (I have a stressful job, see my profile) I get this uncontrollable urge to buy another vape related item to feel better about myself. Then after I have opened the box and played with it, the guilt steps in. I promise myself that this is my last purchase, but the crave always returns with a vengeance.

I can spend hours in my room reading about vaping on the web, cleaning and tinkering with my vape stuff, trying different wires, wicking and trying out new coil builds, making DIY juice, Googling new recipes. Sometimes I just don't care, as I just love everything about vaping. Even the way the vape behaves as it exits my mouth, how it twists and turns in the air and lingers, in different patterns. I blow chunky smoke rings, a habit I have always had since I started smoking as a teenager.

I know I have a problem, I am working on this with my therapist, but it is really tough. I am not in financial debt or anything like that.

Please can anyone share if they have a similar condition. Sometimes I feel like I am the only crazy person doing this. Be honest, are you also overdoing the vaping purchases? Where do we draw the line? How does it make you feel?

Sometimes I tell myself: "F#*¥ it, I am just being me, the person I am, and dong what I enjoy." Other times I ask: "Where do I draw the line?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a mood disorder, which is under control with meds. I have no qualms about publicly stating this as I am a proponent of de stigmatizing mental illness.

However there is something else I have learned about myself from vaping. This questions my sanity and self control.

I have OCD when it comes to acquiring things I enjoy. Sometimes I wonder if I am not completely mental in the sense that I have a severe case of "Vape acquisition disorder."

For example, I am NEVER satisfied with the amount of vaping gear I own. I obsess over the Sir Vape website, reading it a few times, every single day, just to see what is new and plotting my next purchase. I have read every word on every item on the website.

I continually crave buying a new RDA, RTA or Mod. If I buy one I like, I am compelled to buy another to double the pleasure. I get a fear that I need another before they are sold out and I may never get another opportunity to get another.

The guilt I feel for buying so much gear slays me. I could be buying things for my family but I selfishly buy vaping gear. The truth is, I have never enjoyed a hobby as much as this one, and I have done many- many hobbies in my life.

If I have a crap day, (I have a stressful job, see my profile) I get this uncontrollable urge to buy another vape related item to feel better about myself. Then after I have opened the box and played with it, the guilt steps in. I promise myself that this is my last purchase, but the crave always returns with a vengeance.

I can spend hours in my room reading about vaping on the web, cleaning and tinkering with my vape stuff, trying different wires, wicking and trying out new coil builds, making DIY juice, Googling new recipes. Sometimes I just don't care, as I just love everything about vaping. Even the way the vape behaves as it exits my mouth, how it twists and turns in the air and lingers, in different patterns. I blow chunky smoke rings, a habit I have always had since I started smoking as a teenager.

I know I have a problem, I am working on this with my therapist, but it is really tough. I am not in financial debt or anything like that.

Please can anyone share if they have a similar condition. Sometimes I feel like I am the only crazy person doing this. Be honest, are you also overdoing the vaping purchases? Where do we draw the line? How does it make you feel?

Sometimes I tell myself: "F#*¥ it, I am just being me, the person I am, and dong what I enjoy." Other times I ask: "Where do I draw the line?"

Yup it's called compulsive acquisition disorder you feel if you buy this or that thing you will feel better. Also went through a spending spree on vaping stuff lately it's quieted down a bit but yes I also have the issue. In the end it's about WANT and not NEED and sadly the industry knows this....

@Waine
In my opinion and please take no offense to this, as soon as you start to feel stress over something you are doing, you should take a step back, grab a deep breath, and re-evaluate. Maybe you are just anxious over it because someone has said something to you, or maybe you feel that you are neglecting other parts of your life, collecting can step over the line in to hoarding and obsession. However buying something to feel better is not always a bad thing, just don't substitute real feelings with material things.

I think it's positive that you are talking to your therapist if you feel as though it is an issue.

You are not alone, and you don't seem crazy to me, it is fairly common to be in to something and want to keep on top of all the latest developments, it's only a problem, as I said at the start ,when it causes you stress and disrupts your life, but you appear to be mindful of this.

Thanks for the response guys. No offense taken whatsoever. I value constructive insights and opinions. I know I will eventually calm down. It's just a bit of OCD kicking in. Not so much hoarding. I am a reasonably responsible person, but this vaping hobby has really bitten me hard.

I once read a simple saying: "Life is so low, that's why I want to get high." I don't do any drugs or alcohol. But buying vape gear and DIY gives me such a high.

Someone also said once: "Life is largely about the avoidance of pain, and the pursuit of pleasure". OMG, the whole vaping vibe brings me such pleasure.

This post is largely to touch base with those who can relate. Perhaps for those who also want to vent a bit.

@Waine - Thanks for sharing, we all have our vices, the struggle for most is recognising what the vices are and that they may not be the best for them. It sounds like you know what your vice is which means that you are in a great position to learn to manage it. Like others have said, there is nothing wrong with spoiling oneself but make sure you have your basic expenses covered first and can afford whatever it is you want to splurge on. We live in a world of instant gratification which makes it tough to take a step back, relook priorities and sometimes do what is right versus what we want to do.

but make sure you have your basic expenses covered first and can afford whatever it is you want to splurge on

That is well said and something we always need to remember. Without sounding like I'm making excuses, sometimes our brain chemistry can mess with the rational thinking required to actually do this. During a manic episode it is possible for me to budget R100 into R1000. Legit. And it would almost work, except for, you know, economics (only banks can use fractional reserve banking).

How I manage to put things into perspective for myself after those episodes is to say that while it is not my fault, it is still my responsibility. I cannot be blamed for some of the things I do, but I do have to accept responsibility for them and clean up the mess myself.

I'm going through a late teen-angst moment. I've apparently attacked my diabetes so hard that I'm now getting alot of low glucose moments, they want to take me off my medication for a while, which I'm actually nervous about - "but Felix, that's positive" - the issue is that I am almost constantly thinking about mortality and having several existential type conflicts with myself every day. I know that this will eventually come back, get worse as I age, and it feels like instead of being blissfully unaware of when I may expire, I now have this semi-disarmed bomb inside of me. I have obviously made extreme life style changes which I am happy about, but I'm also tired about worrying about every meal I eat, wondering if that carb I just ate was the final straw and my pancreas is now going to quit working, and then worrying that worrying is going to increase stress hormones and **** me up more anyways. All the while I feel guilty as hell because Im not a child in a jungle being raped by soliders. I seriously just need a good woman to marry me and come live on my farm.

Wow, this community is really something special. the more time I spend here, the more I see that I'm not alone n there are people like me.

I've been battling sever anxiety for a little over a year now. always had a bit of a problem, but compounded and worsened last year when I took champion to try get off stickies

Glad to say I got new meds, after an episode at work had me in a terrible state, but it's under control now, I think

Just a reminder to all this is a great soundboard for airing frustrations or any other similarities but always consult a professional if you feel it becoming too much.

So guys and gals. How bad is traffic on the M1 this time of year? I need to be in Sandton at 11:00 for a psychiatrist appointment. Coming up from Sasolburg via Grasmere Plaza toll gate. Need to figure out what time to leave here and be on time. Also, anything fun to do around Sandton in the afternoon? Planning on making an outing of the day. I have Missed that the most since moving from shifts to day shift.

Back