Juices - What's Missing?

• Thread starter brad511
  • Start date
But it still won't replace nanas. And tis a sad day today vaping the last of my nanas cream. When I bought it I was like Meh if I like it I'll buy more. Loved it and then thought well if it's this good surely they'll keep on making it.

Alas this wasn't the case. Lesson learned if I like something buy all the stock and sell it later for more cus it's a rare item lol

But it still won't replace nanas. And tis a sad day today vaping the last of my nanas cream. When I bought it I was like Meh if I like it I'll buy more. Loved it and then thought well if it's this good surely they'll keep on making it.

Alas this wasn't the case. Lesson learned if I like something buy all the stock and sell it later for more cus it's a rare item lol

Next time i buy from them for personal stuff ill msg u and see if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never found a perfect Coffee or Coconut only juice... still searching...

Also still looking for a coffee vape, almost wanted to ask nespresso if they would consider venturing into the vaping business, maybe one day. As regards coconut, I am really loving Complex Chaos Coconut Comfort, in my daily rotation, very refreshing and not overpowering, in my humble noob opinion, one of the best I have vaped.

Also still looking for a coffee vape, almost wanted to ask nespresso if they would consider venturing into the vaping business, maybe one day. As regards coconut, I am really loving Complex Chaos Coconut Comfort, in my daily rotation, very refreshing and not overpowering, in my humble noob opinion, one of the best I have vaped.

This is an old thread... I have found a good coffee Vape. Frappe from Milk Lab.

http://www.sirvape.co.za/collections/milk-lab/products/frappe-100ml

Subtlety. Originality. The juice world is missing both these key elements to elevate it to connoisseur activity. Well local juices at least.

Where is out Milkman or Moondust?!

Mods, where's the facepalm icon?

Clearly, it's fine for you to have an opinion.

In a couple of posts you've managed to imply that:

1.)local juices are not of a high standard
2.)it's not surprising that other people don't have your magical tastebuds.

But anyone else's opinion is cheeky?
Ya I must say, trutyfully, Intl. juices were always a hit or miss with me.

I either thought, f*** I paid R250 for this mediocre uninspiring stuff. Or it rocked my world. Its totally understanble when you look at the US distribution system. Look at it in its entirety. Some of the best US juices have never gone "commercial" on the distro front.

Local juice of new has learned from all we were exposed to, so it's generally rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if these have been mentioned, but I would like some authentic South African flavours like:
Milktart
Malva pudding with custard
Koeksusters
The whole Steri Stumpi range
Brandy and Coke ;)

Not sure if these have been mentioned, but I would like some authentic South African flavours like:
Milktart
Malva pudding with custard
Koeksusters
The whole Steri Stumpi range
Brandy and Coke ;)

This.

Besides the Brandy and Coke (no idea what that tastes like).

Sticking with the South African favourites theme, somebody make a Speckled Eggs flavour. Please! Also, butter biscuits. And peppermint pudding!!!

I think what we're missing in SA is just that bit extra in our methodology. American juice makers have the advantages of bigger general budgets and general access to exotic ingredients and ideal environments. If you look at what Five Pawns or Phillip Rocke do to achieve their flavours, it's pedantic to the levels of a top class winery. We certainly have the culture to recreate the same processes (they're not overtly different from making beer, wine or spirits which we do quite well I believe) but the nature of niche movements over here is that the numbers just don't add up in the same astronomical way. In other words, local ejuices are more like microbreweries, working with limited space, budgets, time and ingredients to get to market. And it's not even the mass market.

Maybe what we need is for the juice makers to come together, form a big business, hire a Californian juice consultant and invest in a dedicated laboratory/repackage an old winery, with clean rooms and barrels for all of our okes to experiment in methods and develop gourmet offerings on par with the import lines. If not that, then maybe a group of experts can get together and we can all crowdfund a world class lab for all our juicemakers to work in based on some sort of community exchange.

That being said, I don't believe we are far behind the Western juice makers. If they did a census on the quality of each country's juice, I'm sure we'd figure pretty high up.

I wonder if it's possible to do a good steelworks juice?

Steelworks

1 shot of Rose's Kola Tonic (available at African Hut)
A splash of Angostura Bitters to taste (available at any liquor store)
Top up with ginger BEER (not ALE)
Always add ice at the end-- not before adding ingredients
tuscany-coffee-shop.jpg

Variations: You can also use half ginger beer, half soda water. You can also add a shot of Rose's Lime Juice.

Last edited:
I think what we're missing in SA is just that bit extra in our methodology. American juice makers have the advantages of bigger general budgets and general access to exotic ingredients and ideal environments. If you look at what Five Pawns or Phillip Rocke do to achieve their flavours, it's pedantic to the levels of a top class winery. We certainly have the culture to recreate the same processes (they're not overtly different from making beer, wine or spirits which we do quite well I believe) but the nature of niche movements over here is that the numbers just don't add up in the same astronomical way. In other words, local ejuices are more like microbreweries, working with limited space, budgets, time and ingredients to get to market. And it's not even the mass market.

Maybe what we need is for the juice makers to come together, form a big business, hire a Californian juice consultant and invest in a dedicated laboratory/repackage an old winery, with clean rooms and barrels for all of our okes to experiment in methods and develop gourmet offerings on par with the import lines. If not that, then maybe a group of experts can get together and we can all crowdfund a world class lab for all our juicemakers to work in based on some sort of community exchange.

That being said, I don't believe we are far behind the Western juice makers. If they did a census on the quality of each country's juice, I'm sure we'd figure pretty high up.
Some of our juice makers already have and use all of that, including the barrels.

Some of our juice makers already have and use all of that, including the barrels.
It's more than just the barrels that I'm talking about. Like pallets, they're probably not that hard to come by.

But I'll take your word for it, and believe it's just a matter of time before we catch up.

Ya I must say, trutyfully, Intl. juices were always a hit or miss with me.

I either thought, f*** I paid R250 for this mediocre uninspiring stuff. Or it rocked my world. Its totally understanble when you look at the US distribution system. Look at it in its entirety. Some of the best US juices have never gone "commercial" on the distro front.

Local juice of new has learned from all we were exposed to, so it's generally rocks.
Everybody always says 'taste is subjective' but yeah... guess nobody means it.

This.

Besides the Brandy and Coke (no idea what that tastes like).

Sticking with the South African favourites theme, somebody make a Speckled Eggs flavour. Please! Also, butter biscuits. And peppermint pudding!!!
Hi man, Mikes Mega Mixes has an awesome Butter biscuit type flavour. Biscuit dreams is the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelworks

Variations: You can also use half ginger beer, half soda water. You can also add a shot of Rose's Lime Juice.

I've never seen a Ginger Beer flavourant.
I'd love one!

Steelworks

tuscany-coffee-shop.jpg

But where is the spirits portion of this recipe ?? #NotAnAlcoholic

Back