Kanthal A1 Wire Resistance Chart

With ohms going up like that, you definitely have coils touching, causing a short, or a loose connection on the positive or negative. Probably a bad manufacturing batch...
With the coils touching, the ohms will drop. Not go up as they did. In the ViviNova, the coil ends are not soldered or screwed on. They are squeezed between the posts when assembled. Perhaps the problem lies here but I doubt it. Must be bad kanthal with molucaler degeneration with heat thinning the wire and hence increasing the ohms.

SunRam, you old Vaper you. I thought I was the longest Vaper here now you beat me I see. Good going. We still seen as Noobs though. Strange. Should be Veterans.

SunRam, you old Vaper you. I thought I was the longest Vaper here now you beat me I see. Good going. We still seen as Noobs though. Strange. Should be Veterans.

I thought you could edit your own title now? - Make it Supreme Darth Vader of Vaping

Can you buy Kanthal wire from electronic supply stores or something locally in South Africa? don't feel like dishing out R80 for shipping on wire that costs R25.
I know its a bit late, but i stumbled on a place that sells kanthal D and A1 on request. Their minimum order is 3KG, priced at R360 per KG (1KG spool is equal to 2800M) so its freaken cheap, but what is one person going to do with 8.4KM of kanthal wire?? Lol

I suppose you could build and sell ready-made coils in 0.1 ohm increments with different internal diameters and wrap numbers.

And for a bit extra, you could pretest it, tweeze it and thread some cotton in it -

Smokyg-ready-made-coils.com

for all the coil builders in the making:

i suggest to get 10m of 28g, 5m of 30g and 5m of 32g. that would make it worth it to order from our local suppliers in terms of shipping costs, and it will last you a while. you won't be upset if you use too much kanthal till you get the coils right as well.
I had just 1m before, and when I messed up a coil I got worried that i would run out soon. Now, no more worries :cool:

for all the coil builders in the making:

i suggest to get 10m of 28g, 5m of 30g and 5m of 32g. that would make it worth it to order from our local suppliers in terms of shipping costs, and it will last you a while. you won't be upset if you use too much kanthal till you get the coils right as well.
I had just 1m before, and when I messed up a coil I got worried that i would run out soon. Now, no more worries :cool:

And with some extra 32g you could burn some building this.

This will be my next project.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

good idea..i hardly use the 32g.

Eciggies has 0.12 and 0.16mm nichrome wire. Is this the same as kanthal and what does that translate to in g ?

i just wonder why one would use 0.12mm? even 0.16 should be too thin.

I did my first one the other day, ended up on using 30g.

btw, that rebuild for the Evod tank, which is the same as Protank, worked out very nice. a bit low ohms (1.3), but now its a steam engine with the Evod batt.

I'm keen to try a Diamond coil, apparently max flavour. Or so Rip says :)

btw, that rebuild for the Evod tank, which is the same as Protank, worked out very nice. a bit low ohms (1.3), but now its a steam engine with the Evod batt.

Interesting @Tom, was there any noticeable improvement in flavour and throat hit?

Am thinking of doing that myself - now that I am a superbly experienced coil builder ;-)
(with 1 coil under @TylerD supervision to my name)

i did not use the evod for a while, so no direct comparison...but, yeah, it seems much better now. it was very fiddly tho, there is no space on that coil :)

Thanks Tom. Which should I get to rebuild protank coils? I thought 28g was what I was looking for.
So from my little experience and about 15 coils(mostly failures) it looks like most pre-built coils(the ones youbuy for the protank) use between 30g-35g (0.14mm-0.2mm) kanthal wire. i assume it depends on who makes them.
Higher gauge = thinner wire = higher ohms. So if you open your attys, some will have 5 wraps and some will have 8 wraps, but they would all be, lets say 2.2ohms.
I see that most of the guys that use RBA's use a thicker wire to get less ohms.
There are so many different combos, wire vs wraps vs daimeter, it is mind boggling.
The only way to figure out what works for you is, google, youtube, experimenting, and of course the forum...

So from my little experience and about 15 coils(mostly failures) it looks like most pre-built coils(the ones youbuy for the protank) use between 30g-35g (0.14mm-0.2mm) kanthal wire. i assume it depends on who makes them.
Higher gauge = thinner wire = higher ohms. So if you open your attys, some will have 5 wraps and some will have 8 wraps, but they would all be, lets say 2.2ohms.
I see that most of the guys that use RBA's use a thicker wire to get less ohms.
There are so many different combos, wire vs wraps vs daimeter, it is mind boggling.
The only way to figure out what works for you is, google, youtube, experimenting, and of course the forum...

Yeah it's a bit of a jungle out there when you first start, but after a while it all starts making sense

Now look at this beauty - when I can do this I'll be very happy

FuIdJMk.jpg

i did not use the evod for a while, so no direct comparison...but, yeah, it seems much better now. it was very fiddly tho, there is no space on that coil :)
i used the Evod the past few days with the modified coil, i must say that it improved, a lot. Did something like 3 full tanks and its still a good vape, flavorwise and plumes wise. I change the batts regularly, about 3 times a day. Not that I need to do it, its just convenient.
Never thought that. Still my first choice is the dripper, in all aspects, but its a decent Evod vape when u are running around like a chicken w/o a head ;) .

Nice one @Tom

However i noticed a subtle change in your use of words.

You went from "fumes" to "plumes"

Shall i read anything into this?

LOL

Back