Kanthal A1 Wire Resistance Chart

Tw!st3dVaP0r

Experienced Vaper
VIP
LV

Awards
Kanthal A1 Wire resistance Chart
Kanthal A1 resistance wire is for making your own atomizers. Here is some info on estimating the ohms per inch on the different types of wire.
This chart is for A1 type of Kanthal wire per inch, other grades are different.
28 awg (Ω/in) 0.4 ohms
30 awg (Ω/in) 0.7 ohms
31 awg (Ω/in) 0.9 ohms
32 awg (Ω/in) 1.2 ohms
33 awg (Ω/in) 1.4 ohms
34 awg (Ω/in) 1.8 ohms
35 awg (Ω/in) 2.3 ohms
36 awg (Ω/in) 2.9 ohms

The lower the ohms per inch, the more wraps you will need, this can be a trade off as the thinner wire needs less wraps but also has less surface contact to the liquid. Optimal seems to be 32 for most people.
Rebuildable atomizer coils and wicks have known risks.
Rebuildables are for experts, not average or beginner vapers with no multimeter or knowledge of how to use a meter, or when a meter must be used, or how electronic devices work. These materials cannot safely be used by the inexperienced or those without basic knowledge of electronics.
This is because:
1. A rebuildable coil/wick MUST be tested carefully with a meter before it is used.
2. If it is not tested it is entirely the risk of the user.
3. Faulty wicks/coils WILL blow electronic devices.
4. New coil/wick units must be tested and then used first on a strong basic electrical APV that has short circuit protection.
5. No new coil/wick assembly should be used on an electronic device until known to be safe.
6. These items destroy electronic devices if faulty. This is a known issue.

from vapingdealsndiscounts.com

heh, we got a call the other day from a guy that wanted 6mm kanthal for his lead glass window (or something)

My first thought was holy crap, how big is your atomizer?

Optimal seems to be 32 for most people.
That is true for coils wrapped directly around wicking material like silica, but for micro coils the optimal nowadays seems to be 28awg for lower ohm coils and 30awg for higher ohm coils.

I have noticed since I got my SVD that my coil degrades daily by 0.2Ω. Molecular degeneration with overheating perhaps.
Started with 2.8Ω and now 3.5Ω. Still plumes of vapour as my SVD adjusts the voltage accordingly to my wattage setting.
My old LavaTube would have rejected it days ago due to less vapour and burned taste.
My SVD just seems to carry on regardless.

That is strange. I have never had a coil change resistance in its lifetime. Do you build your own coils?

kanthal is supposed to increase in resistance with temp and time but i don't think by that much. maybe just a bad piece of wire

It just got to 4Ω . Dumped it.
Hav you tried messuring on another device ? Or does your other coils read correctly ? I had a built diy that did the same bt it was cus the positive wire wadnt making contact properly rebuilt the coil n was ok

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Yes, that can happen if your coil screws are not tight or come loose over time.

My new 2.8 is now 3.0Ω. This after 1 day. I have measured it with my tester and it reads the same as my SVD.

ok measure the coil again tomorrow. maybe it just increases a wee bit once it gets heated the first time round or else you might just have faulty kanthal :(

Eish. Now 3.2Ω. Keep having to increase the wattage. It will go to atty heaven by tomorrow.

Hook it up to an ohm meter and flame it while testing, see if the resistance changes - then you would definitely know your Kanthal is not right... I hope you didn't buy that Kanthal from us :eek:

No, I use a Vivi Nova and bought the coils from eciggies. Waiting for you to stock them. CE4/5/6/7 and the VN use the same coils now. I think.
My wife uses the CE5 and loves it. Vapes on the same coil for weeks but I chain vape with my VN and use 3 coils per week.
Although it is now 3.2Ω, it still has great vapor but crackles and pops. It is now at 5.5W from 4.0W.

I chain vape with my VN and use 3 coils per week..

Whoa!

With dry burning I can get 45 days or so out of a coil before it starts tasting funky and dry burning just doesn't want to do it anymore - I vape about 3 mini protanks a day. Although I sometimes use the RSST, my mini protank is still my goto vape.

My first clearo was a CE5 from eciggies, but since I've switched to mini protank I have not looked back

having said that, they say the best device on the market is the one that keeps you of the analogs :)

We weren't going to stock the CE range of things, but hey, if people want them, we will take a look - we can at least get a bunch of coils from Vision, so you know it's the real deal :)

Last edited:
Vision has an MOQ of 500 I think.
But if you are looking at stocking some CE5's I will order some. not large quantities, and also not on a regular basis. I just want to give my ce5 a go for old times sake. Kind of miss it.
Protanks does not want to be chain vaped. those ce5's can suck juice faster than I can down a beer after mowing the lawn.

Yeah it looks like it, but we will get a preferred reseller name from them - someone that can do lower quantities

Interestingly they don't have a CE5 on their site...

Can you buy Kanthal wire from electronic supply stores or something locally in South Africa? don't feel like dishing out R80 for shipping on wire that costs R25.

With ohms going up like that, you definitely have coils touching, causing a short, or a loose connection on the positive or negative. Probably a bad manufacturing batch...

With ohms going up like that, you definitely have coils touching, causing a short, or a loose connection on the positive or negative. Probably a bad manufacturing batch...
@SunRam, I have no idea on what you are commenting here. Always a good idea to click the "Reply" button of the post you are responding to. Especially if there are a few other posts in between.

Should've mentioned @Johnny2Puffs in the post, since I can not get the reply to post to work, the forum gives error: "please enter a valid message" or something like that.

Back