Let's Discuss One-Shots

I think the point is, no matter what, there will always be DIY only folks. And some that just won't.

Then there are a few in between that play and buy.

Just wanted to write something so I remember to read here and follow this conversation :clap:

Think of it in this way. You can go to the supermarket and buy the following; a baked cake, pre mixed cake flour or all the goodies to bake your own cake.
I see 1 shots as "pre mixed flour".

All i want is a one shot mix that can fill up a 100ml bottle more than once.

Yes something like that,i only mix in 100ml an adv in 500ml

It's a good question because how much do I want? I don't have an ADV, I switch flavours constantly. So do I want a one-shot that makes 50ml, 100ml, 200ml, more? 70-100ml would probably be my sweet spot but others may prefer more especially if it's an ADV. But then producers aren't limited to sizes. They could sell different volumes although it would push production costs up.

If I mix a one-shot, it's because I haven't made the recipe because I don't have all the flavours. So I'm going in blind and taking it on trust. But then is 200ml ideal? That is nearly seven retail bottles of juice. I mix 20ml of recipes I don't know, and there are many I don't mix again. Taking ten times that amount on faith is a bit risky imo.

Last edited:
I mostly diy, and buy one bottle of commercial juice a month. The thing that annoys me most about diy is all the concentrate bottles and trying to keep track of how I have of what and all that jazz. So I think one shots are brilliant. Pay day comes I am only buying one shots, and eventually if more one shots become available I will most probably just buy that.

I have been buying some juices recently due to not having been able to mix, and the costs have been running up. DIY is a lot cheaper, but you seem to always be one flavour short, so the list just grows on a monthly basis. I think one shots is an excellent way to get a premium juice at a greatly reduced price, making it more affordable. For ease of use I would buy more one shots going forward than having to always be one flavour short.

Spot on @jprossouw . 1shot is the middle of the road, let's say round about 100-150ml a month even less.
All the "stick" vapers ( like me)who find com juice to expensive or sweet or for the heck of it.

I have been buying some juices recently due to not having been able to mix, and the costs have been running up. DIY is a lot cheaper, but you seem to always be one flavour short, so the list just grows on a monthly basis. I think one shots is an excellent way to get a premium juice at a greatly reduced price, making it more affordable. For ease of use I would buy more one shots going forward than having to always be one flavour short.
Definitely makes it more affordable especially with the recipes that have 10-11 ingredients eg: dinner lady clone. Most of those I only use in that recipe!

I’m looking forward to seeing what the juice guys bring out in the future!!

Another thing I like about one shots is when you feel like trying a new flavour profile... e.g. if I feel like a cereal R100 is a bit more economical than investing R200 in missing concentrates and then having to spend a decent amount of time tweaking

I buy both commercial and DIY but at a 80-20 ratio (80% DIY) but there are a few commercials I really like and if they came out in one-shots I would definitely get them.

But now my question is, where does one buy one-shot flavours? I know Flavourmill sells them, but who else? I want to see what is available so as to explore this curiousity of mine. Blckvapour only sells FA one-shots from what I can see. So where else?

I buy both commercial and DIY but at a 80-20 ratio (80% DIY) but there are a few commercials I really like and if they came out in one-shots I would definitely get them.

But now my question is, where does one buy one-shot flavours? I know Flavourmill sells them, but who else? I want to see what is available so as to explore this curiousity of mine. Blckvapour only sells FA one-shots from what I can see. So where else?
I've just ordered some one shots from All Day Vapes to try out. They have quite a interesting variety. Maybe give them a try.

Blckvapour also sells Hardwicks one shots if I'm not mistaken.

https://blckvapour.co.za/products/ncv-burst-self-made-30ml

https://blckvapour.co.za/collections/hardshots

https://blckvapour.co.za/products/east-30ml-wiener-vape-co

Blckvapour only sells FA one-shots from what I can see.

Look under Pre_Mixed Concentrates in their Concentrates menu. They have Enyawreklaw, Wiener, Molinberry, FA, Hardshots and NCV.

There will be a bunch more coming in, I reckon. One-shots are set to take off big time. So it's only the early adopters so far but I'd expect ranges to quadruple at least in the coming year.

Last edited:
I looked at these the other day.

Which ones did you get?
I am trying the red berries iced, Irish cream iced I think and the iced lichee. Some more I want to get next month, or if things work out as soon as debit orders have gone off.

I also like the idea of One shots.

I've gotten into DIY a while back in AUG, and have since then grown my stash to about 60 different concentrates. But there are MANY, that I hardly ever use.

I hate the Dessert/ bakery type juice, and as such will probably never use VBIC or Vanilla custard ever again. Same with Lime and Lemon lime. Thought it may be a good idea, but to me it taste like sunlight liquid.

I absolutely love berry menthol type juices, so that's pretty much my ADV type juices.
Just last night mixed up a 100ml Berry Breeze from the DIY section. Took me like 5min. Was even considering making my own one shot.

Everyone is mentioning "BLUE PILL", but without naming it. I've never tried it. Only tried YYY once at a bud and loved it. But I've also never bought my own bottel, because to me spending r140 for 30ml is ridiculous. I vape around 500ml a month. Even at R350 for a 100ml, i'd be bankrupt, spending nearly 2grand a month on commercial juice. I maybe spend about R400 on DIY stuff on average monthly.

So One Shots would definately be in my radar if it was available. I currently have like 750ml of different concentrates, but will probably never use more that half of it before it goes bad.

Plus it takes a lot of time looking for new recipes and mixing testers. It's becoming too much admin DIY

Yeah, full-on DIY (i.e. eventually developing your own recipes) requires a lot of commitment. You have to buy a ton of concentrates, do flavour notes on everything you have, read what others say about the flavour and how they use it, experiment a lot (with associated wastage), and generally keep up to speed on everything that is happening in the DIY sector. Cost-wise it's still way cheaper than commercial juice but time and effort requirements are steep.

For those who aren't willing to invest that amount of time, buying 50-100 staple flavours to mix up popular recipes, then supplementing those with one-shots, would be a good way to go. If you aren't developing, there is no reason to take flavour notes or have every concentrate. Just mix popular recipes, keep those you like and discard those you don't.

But even for those more casual DIYers, there is still the requirement to keep up to date. Mustard Milk was all the rage in DIY circles two years ago. Today... not so much. As vaping technology develops, so too do juice principles. Everybody used to use Marshmallow as a sweetener. Today, people have turned to other forms of sweetening that don't mute juice as much. So Marshmallow has dropped way down the list of staple concentrates to have. If you only mix recipes from the past year, chances are that you'll use Marshmallow rarely, if at all. Techniques change and people move on.

I have limited interest in developing. Busting a gut and burning the midnight oil doing thirty different batches of a juice, only to have nobody mix the final recipe, nobody comment on it and nobody rate it, isn't very productive imo. As I've said before, DIY is just fifty thousand people shouting at everybody to mix their juice ("You won't regret it!!1!!!!1!") and then not mixing anybody else's stuff because they're too busy developing their next masterpiece - which nobody else will mix, rate or comment on.

Every mixer thinks they have what it takes to release a successful one-shot. 99.5% of them will be disappointed. Common sense alone should tell us that there is limited scope in a market where there are almost as many suppliers as consumers. Popular commercial juices and the very, very top-rated recipes on ATF (Sugar Cookies and Cream, God Milk, Dinner Lady, Sadlad, Mango Sticky Rice, etc) are viable as one-shots. The rest will be forgotten in a week and retailers will be stuck with stock they can't move. We're in maximum chaos mode now and it will take a while for the market to settle. But it'll be a fun free-for-all while it does. :D

Yeah, full-on DIY (i.e. eventually developing your own recipes) requires a lot of commitment. You have to buy a ton of concentrates, do flavour notes on everything you have, read what others say about the flavour and how they use it, experiment a lot (with associated wastage), and generally keep up to speed on everything that is happening in the DIY sector. Cost-wise it's still way cheaper than commercial juice but time and effort requirements are steep.

For those who aren't willing to invest that amount of time, buying 50-100 staple flavours to mix up popular recipes, then supplementing those with one-shots, would be a good way to go. If you aren't developing, there is no reason to take flavour notes or have every concentrate. Just mix popular recipes, keep those you like and discard those you don't.

But even for those more casual DIYers, there is still the requirement to keep up to date. Mustard Milk was all the rage in DIY circles two years ago. Today... not so much. As vaping technology develops, so too do juice principles. Everybody used to use Marshmallow as a sweetener. Today, people have turned to other forms of sweetening that don't mute juice as much. So Marshmallow has dropped way down the list of staple concentrates to have. If you only mix recipes from the past year, chances are that you'll use Marshmallow rarely, if at all. Techniques change and people move on.

I have limited interest in developing. Busting a gut and burning the midnight oil doing thirty different batches of a juice, only to have nobody mix the final recipe, nobody comment on it and nobody rate it, isn't very productive imo. As I've said before, DIY is just fifty thousand people shouting at everybody to mix their juice ("You won't regret it!!1!!!!1!") and then not mixing anybody else's stuff because they're too busy developing their next masterpiece - which nobody else will mix, rate or comment on.

Every mixer thinks they have what it takes to release a successful one-shot. 99.5% of them will be disappointed. Common sense alone should tell us that there is limited scope in a market where there are almost as many suppliers as consumers. Popular commercial juices and the very, very top-rated recipes on ATF (Sugar Cookies and Cream, God Milk, Dinner Lady, Sadlad, Mango Sticky Rice, etc) are viable as one-shots. The rest will be forgotten in a week and retailers will be stuck with stock they can't move. We're in maximum chaos mode now and it will take a while for the market to settle. But it'll be a fun free-for-all while it does. :D

Great post @RichJB
Loved reading that
Thanks

I used to DIY back in the day, but was too much of a schlep for me. These one shots have really piqued my interest. My only concern is steeping time as I have no patience. But I'm willing to try these one shots in the name of science. I go through 400mls of juice a month and I can see how I can save. Cart is already filled at Black Vapor.... Now just to wait till payday

Back